There are 351 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
With all the dysfunction going on with the Raiders and other teams as well I think it should really make us appreciate what we have in Kyle and John

Sometimes I feel finding the right coach is even harder than finding your QB. The Niners are fine with Shanahan. And for someone who had no experience in a front office job, John Lynch is doing pretty good so far.
Who do we have to replace Oliver?

https://www.nfl.com/videos/steve-smith-sr-49ers-have-one-glaring-weakness-right-now-nfl-total-access
I'm pretty sure Lynch looked around for CB help but the best ones are still on their respective teams. It's not like he doesn't know football. He sees the same weaknesses that we do. I guess the asking price was too high so getting another edge rusher was the next option.. I guess we have to wait for the draft and free agency to fill the CB and O line spots.

We have to keep in mind that this team was 3-4 after 7 games last year and then they went on that big run to the playoffs. This team is at least as good if not better as far as the personnel goes.
We still haven't seen what our injured rookie cb Lutter can do yet.

I remember hearing that our roster was tops in the league. We were supposed to be so deep, what happened to that noise?
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
Who do we have to replace Oliver?

https://www.nfl.com/videos/steve-smith-sr-49ers-have-one-glaring-weakness-right-now-nfl-total-access

Womack
Originally posted by NCommand:
With all the dysfunction going on with the Raiders and other teams as well I think it should really make us appreciate what we have in Kyle and John

Haha. That's very true too.

Funny thing is the dysfunctional raiders became even more dysfunctional when they picked up our Trash. He looks like the same dude that kept us from winning it all. Thank god we finally had the sense to move on.
Originally posted by pdc20:

Sometimes I feel finding the right coach is even harder than finding your QB. The Niners are fine with Shanahan. And for someone who had no experience in a front office job, John Lynch is doing pretty good so far.

Good head coaches are harder to find than QBs. How many teams in the league have a coach that has lasted more than a few years?
Originally posted by glorydayz:

I remember hearing that our roster was tops in the league. We were supposed to be so deep, what happened to that noise?

I still have faith that we have one of the best rosters in football. They proved that weeks 1-5 and that was no fluke. But the last 3 have they have hit a rough patch. Nothing that can't be corrected with better play by the players and putting the players in the right position to succeed by the coaches.

Lynch has done all he can do. Its up to the players and coaches to execute.

Originally posted by Young2Owens:

Good head coaches are harder to find than QBs. How many teams in the league have a coach that has lasted more than a few years?

I don't know if i agree with that. I don't think good coaches get enough time. Its a "what have you done for me lately" league where coaches can win a Super Bowl and be out of a job 2 years later. Only for another team to give them a chance. Rinse and repeat. NFL wants parity so they make it hard for good coaches to have continued success. There are going to be some down years.
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:

Funny thing is the dysfunctional raiders became even more dysfunctional when they picked up our Trash. He looks like the same dude that kept us from winning it all. Thank god we finally had the sense to move on.
This goes to show how good Shanny is winning with that bum.

Originally posted by miked1978:

Originally posted by Young2Owens:

I don't know if i agree with that. I don't think good coaches get enough time. Its a "what have you done for me lately" league where coaches can win a Super Bowl and be out of a job 2 years later. Only for another team to give them a chance. Rinse and repeat. NFL wants parity so they make it hard for good coaches to have continued success. There are going to be some down years.

Typically you are given only 4-5 years to make huge strides or win a SB.

This is because the average turnaround from bottom feeder to playoff contender is only 3 years for a rebuild. The whole 5 year rebuild is bs. It's 3 and this largely has to do with draft position value and how long the average NFL career is. The average NFL career is only 4 year so saying you need 5 years to rebuild makes no sense.

Shanahan and McDermott are the longest current tenured non SB winning coaches.

Some coaches can get you close every year like Garrett did for the cowboys but just can't get over the hump. Getting 7 years is enough time to fully rebuild the roster twice so that's why without a SB both of them should be in the hotseat.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Typically you are given only 4-5 years to make huge strides or win a SB.

This is because the average turnaround from bottom feeder to playoff contender is only 3 years for a rebuild. The whole 5 year rebuild is bs. It's 3 and this largely has to do with draft position value and how long the average NFL career is. The average NFL career is only 4 year so saying you need 5 years to rebuild makes no sense.

Shanahan and McDermott are the longest current tenured non SB winning coaches.

Some coaches can get you close every year like Garrett did for the cowboys but just can't get over the hump. Getting 7 years is enough time to fully rebuild the roster twice so that's why without a SB both of them should be in the hotseat.

In 10 seasons as Cowboys HC, they only had 3 double digit win seasons, 3 playoff appearances, 2 playoff wins and never made it out of the Divisional round.

Jason Garrett never got them close.
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:

This goes to show how good Shanny is winning with that bum.

Jimmy Crappalo

Never been at cornerback. Most ignored position by a country mile by this brain trust. I'm pro Lynch and Shanny but when you are the ONLY team that hasn't drafted a DB in rds 1 or 2 in your tenure you are playing with fire.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Nov 1, 2023 at 12:26 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Never been at cornerback. Most ignored position by a country mile by this brain trust. I'm pro Lynch and Shanny but when you are the ONLY team that hasn't drafted a DB in rds 1 or 2 in your tenure you are playing with fire.

This is very true...sacrilegious in a passing league.
Share 49ersWebzone