49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 239 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Probably setting up Adam Peters to be the next GM

And there it is! This is freaking fantastic news!

Come on up Peters.
you say that now, but when no OL get picked.. lookout Peters !

BILL WALSH had the same title once, does this mean LYNCH can now get rid of KYLE ?
Originally posted by 9moon:

BILL WALSH had the same title once, does this mean LYNCH can now get rid of KYLE ?

Dude, Kyle just got an extension too, he's not going anywhere.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

AGREE.. but that's not the question dude..
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

AGREE.. but that's not the question dude..

The answer is no.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Come on up Peters.

I will cut a foo!
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by Heroism:

Why is that a bad thing? He's part of the reason we've been successful.

I believe Hero is noting Peters was a big fan of Trey Lance so he's questioning his acumen.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Come on up Peters.

lol he's been waiting for this day, he can't stand lynch.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Ryan Pace to the rescue
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Ryan Pace to the rescue

I love ShanaLynch. Not a fan of their 1990's team building strategy though.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Of course it was another DL.

Teams will just continue to pass quickly and stuff our run game. Thrilling.
Of course you wouldn't admit that you were wrong to say 2.5 hours for them to do nothing.

As for Young, are you really going to call the addition of Young just another DE? Do you also believe that the team suddenly doesn't know how to pass rush? Teams could've employed the get rid of the ball quickly strategy that you suggest for the last 4 years, but for some reason, they didn't, or ot didn't work as nearly as effective as it has this year.

Respect for the move but this still helps nothing. OL and secondary is what this team needs more than anything.

Again, teams will continue to pass in 2.5s and stuff our run.

This is great, don't get me wrong, but in the end, it solves about our 3rd or 4th 'need' and probably nothing in the end. Hell, we've barely even used Gregory.

This helps nothing...

Okay.

We are bottom tier in run D. You cannot control a game as a bottom tier run D. We now do not have to depend on Drake Jackson. Its a need. If Wilks somehow gets back to what our D was prior to his arrival, they will need to be able to stop the run and rush the passer, from the edges, and they will have 3 guys that can do that not including Ferrell or Jackson..

Now I won't disagree about the O-line or corner need, but you are literally dismissing a top-10 player at his position. If passing the ball in 2.5 seconds was such an easy strategy to employ on this defense, then why didn't that work over the last 2 years? Why didn't it work in 2019? The D is going to fall on Wiks. He has an embarrassment of talent. Enough to cover for DB shortcomings. We'll see what Kyle does on the offensive side. They have their holes on O but the reality is, they have enough to get it done. Let's see if they actually get it done. I'm not optimistic or pessimistic. Just going to wait and see. After the defensive crap, I cannot be emotionally involved.

We're 5th best in run defense. I heard all this talk with the Hargrave addition as well. How much has the needle moved from last year's #1 defense with a far better 3T than what we had last year? Not much, huh?

You know me. I'm ALL about building up the trenches so I'm not upset at all of the move. I love it. It will help but nowhere near where the real problems lie and certainly not enough to move the needle that ''could' help overcompensate for our real issues. This, in the end, gets us nowhere near a Superbowl roster.

They have their holes on O but the reality is, they have enough to get it done.

As to this comment, I couldn't disagree more. That's been even more proven a fallacy without TW in the lineup --- you see how poor the the talent and depth is standing on their own. Even with a healthy TW, this is not reality.

IMHO, a team relying on a DL and a running game is building from a 1990's model. That's just not this league anymore.

We are the 5th best run D. Now take a look at the rushing yardage surrendered 2 of the last 3 weeks. The one week we didn't get run on, Kirk Cousins looked like Drew Brees.

As for Hargrave not moving the needle, the defensive issues have been discussed. Do you think this is a Hargrave issue or is it play calls? I say the latter. The whole D looks off. And I'm not just going to say hey, QBs can just get rid of the ball quick. We generally got to QBs in the last four years until this year. The problem is mostly Wilks. All of our experts that can breakdown whats going on have pointed out how this is happening.

As forvus moving towards a Super Bowl, it depends.

1. Brock can't turn the ball over the way he has.

2. Defense can't have guys completing 75% of their passes. Even if we remove Oliver's poor play, QBs are still completing a lot of passes against us.

3. D line has to play to their standard. They have not.

4. Wilks needs to dig into the Saleh/Ryan's playbook. Idk whats going on, but this ain't it.

The addition of Young should have a 2019 level pass rush and when Womack is back, an even better secondary IF we play up to our level.

I think all of the above can happen. The only uncertainty to me is kicker (can Moody make the kicks when the money is on the line) and QB (i know Brock is good, but can he be great when the pressure is on?).

I hear you!

It just seems like we have the exact same 3 issues that'll cost us in the end like always: OL, Secondary and QB (TO's).

I'm just not seeing how we overcome OL + Secondary without significantly more talent.

Adding more DL has proven not to move the needle like we hoped.

We're becoming the pure definition of insanity on team building, IMHO.

That doesn't mean we won't recover and go on another great run and be ultra competitive. But I'm more concerned about the end-game and 'winning' #6.

But I do love your optimism and genuinely hope you're right!

1. My hope is that the price for a CB was too high (1st or 2nd). If that's the case, they went for the 2019 approach to cover for the secondary.

2. Pissed we missed out on Cleveland. Burford ain't it. I'm more forgiving of McKivitz because its year 1. Maybe the guy starting in place of Banks does well enough that they can kick over to RG when Banks returns.

3. The final issue is QB. I think Brock is better than Jimmy but can he rise up when the pressure is on? Right now it seems not. We will see. We know the team that played weeks 1 - 5 can Play and win the Superbowl. We will see if they return.
1. My hope is that the price for a CB was too high (1st or 2nd). If that's the case, they went for the 2019 approach to cover for the secondary.

2. Pissed we missed out on Cleveland. Burford ain't it. I'm more forgiving of McKivitz because its year 1. Maybe the guy starting in place of Banks does well enough that they can kick over to RG when Banks returns.

3. The final issue is QB. I think Brock is better than Jimmy but can he rise up when the pressure is on? Right now it seems not. We will see. We know the team that played weeks 1 - 5 can Play and win the Superbowl. We will see if they return.

Yeah he seems overmatched now, but with ~17 games experience there seems more possibility that he can grow into it than if he was whiffing with 3+ years in the offense
Of course it was another DL.

Teams will just continue to pass quickly and stuff our run game. Thrilling.
Of course you wouldn't admit that you were wrong to say 2.5 hours for them to do nothing.

As for Young, are you really going to call the addition of Young just another DE? Do you also believe that the team suddenly doesn't know how to pass rush? Teams could've employed the get rid of the ball quickly strategy that you suggest for the last 4 years, but for some reason, they didn't, or ot didn't work as nearly as effective as it has this year.

Respect for the move but this still helps nothing. OL and secondary is what this team needs more than anything.

Again, teams will continue to pass in 2.5s and stuff our run.

This is great, don't get me wrong, but in the end, it solves about our 3rd or 4th 'need' and probably nothing in the end. Hell, we've barely even used Gregory.

This helps nothing...

Okay.

We are bottom tier in run D. You cannot control a game as a bottom tier run D. We now do not have to depend on Drake Jackson. Its a need. If Wilks somehow gets back to what our D was prior to his arrival, they will need to be able to stop the run and rush the passer, from the edges, and they will have 3 guys that can do that not including Ferrell or Jackson..

Now I won't disagree about the O-line or corner need, but you are literally dismissing a top-10 player at his position. If passing the ball in 2.5 seconds was such an easy strategy to employ on this defense, then why didn't that work over the last 2 years? Why didn't it work in 2019? The D is going to fall on Wiks. He has an embarrassment of talent. Enough to cover for DB shortcomings. We'll see what Kyle does on the offensive side. They have their holes on O but the reality is, they have enough to get it done. Let's see if they actually get it done. I'm not optimistic or pessimistic. Just going to wait and see. After the defensive crap, I cannot be emotionally involved.

We're 5th best in run defense. I heard all this talk with the Hargrave addition as well. How much has the needle moved from last year's #1 defense with a far better 3T than what we had last year? Not much, huh?

You know me. I'm ALL about building up the trenches so I'm not upset at all of the move. I love it. It will help but nowhere near where the real problems lie and certainly not enough to move the needle that ''could' help overcompensate for our real issues. This, in the end, gets us nowhere near a Superbowl roster.

They have their holes on O but the reality is, they have enough to get it done.

As to this comment, I couldn't disagree more. That's been even more proven a fallacy without TW in the lineup --- you see how poor the the talent and depth is standing on their own. Even with a healthy TW, this is not reality.

IMHO, a team relying on a DL and a running game is building from a 1990's model. That's just not this league anymore.

We are the 5th best run D. Now take a look at the rushing yardage surrendered 2 of the last 3 weeks. The one week we didn't get run on, Kirk Cousins looked like Drew Brees.

As for Hargrave not moving the needle, the defensive issues have been discussed. Do you think this is a Hargrave issue or is it play calls? I say the latter. The whole D looks off. And I'm not just going to say hey, QBs can just get rid of the ball quick. We generally got to QBs in the last four years until this year. The problem is mostly Wilks. All of our experts that can breakdown whats going on have pointed out how this is happening.

As forvus moving towards a Super Bowl, it depends.

1. Brock can't turn the ball over the way he has.

2. Defense can't have guys completing 75% of their passes. Even if we remove Oliver's poor play, QBs are still completing a lot of passes against us.

3. D line has to play to their standard. They have not.

4. Wilks needs to dig into the Saleh/Ryan's playbook. Idk whats going on, but this ain't it.

The addition of Young should have a 2019 level pass rush and when Womack is back, an even better secondary IF we play up to our level.

I think all of the above can happen. The only uncertainty to me is kicker (can Moody make the kicks when the money is on the line) and QB (i know Brock is good, but can he be great when the pressure is on?).

I hear you!

It just seems like we have the exact same 3 issues that'll cost us in the end like always: OL, Secondary and QB (TO's).

I'm just not seeing how we overcome OL + Secondary without significantly more talent.

Adding more DL has proven not to move the needle like we hoped.

We're becoming the pure definition of insanity on team building, IMHO.

That doesn't mean we won't recover and go on another great run and be ultra competitive. But I'm more concerned about the end-game and 'winning' #6.

But I do love your optimism and genuinely hope you're right!

1. That's very possible. You'd think CB was a top target...at least temporarily like with Chase.

2. Cleveland, Collins, etc. and a gazillion other examples. There's no excuse to still have a 24th ranked OL at this stage esp. with a young QB like Brock whom you're trying to develop properly and under ideal circumstances. This Iike the secondary, remains an annual failed team building strategy. So it wouldn't surprise me if neither were hard targets for improvement at all.

3. Yeah, we'll see. This team is really good on script. Off it, they're a disaster so I'm just hoping for the playoffs at this stage and to enjoy a nice 4-5 game run.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 4, 2023 at 10:27 AM ]
I believe Hero is noting Peters was a big fan of Trey Lance so he's questioning his acumen.

Yeah, Trey Lance and Ambry Thomas are the only draft picks I've seen linked to Adam Peters. I'm really just indifferent to Adam Peters in general and don't get why the fanbase is enamored with him. Maybe I missed other picks he played a role in or something.

[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 4, 2023 at 2:43 PM ]
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by Heroism:

Why is that a bad thing? He's part of the reason we've been successful.

Considering Lance still hasn't gotten any playing time to prove himself one way or another, you cant say he was a bust. The only reason we moved on is because Purdy burst on the scene so dramatically.
Share 49ersWebzone