Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by father49er:
Free agent signings = A+

Trade deadline signings = A+

Drafting rounds 3 - 7 = A+

Drafting rounds 1 - 2 = C-

Overall = A

He's a very good GM and we are lucky to have him.

Agreed. The draft is a crap shoot. It's the winning roster that matters, no matter how you get to it.

In some ways a proven player is actually better. We get them at robbery prices especially in the trade deadline. Seem to do so repeatedly too. He's actually very good if you compare him to other teams GM's.

While true the Rams method works short term but causes a void in draft picks and screws up the cap. The fastest way is to really win the lottery on draft picks and leverage rookie QB contracts. In this respect no team can get as much value as the last pick in the draft playing like an all pro.
Originally posted by mitpdub:
While true the Rams method works short term but causes a void in draft picks and screws up the cap. The fastest way is to really win the lottery on draft picks and leverage rookie QB contracts. In this respect no team can get as much value as the last pick in the draft playing like an all pro.

Exactly this
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Please for gods sake draft a RT either round 1 or 2
at late first round RT, is the draft littered with Tackle in 2024 ?

No idea but we can't wait anymore

I'll take IOL or T. Just take BPA there, whether it's C, G, T, idc. It can be a major upgrade either way

You'll get a DT and you'll like it!

fax

Agree.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

'Ready to roll for you all..'

They had Absolutely. No. Idea. lol

John Lynch's best draft pick so far.
Free agent signings = A+

Overall = A

I assume these are all relative grades, in comparison with the rest of the NFL? In that case you are saying that our R1-R2 drafting is worse than at least 25 or so of the other teams over that period. I don't see that at all. Particularly if you discount the first couple of drafts as learning. Not saying they are great, but I think they are about average at the least. Bosa, Samuel, Aiyuk, Banks, does that really justify a C-? I can't remember what the general R1 bust percentage was, it varied by position but in the last 5 years we have made 7 first or second round picks. For me the jury is still out on Jackson. I am prepared to count Lance as 3 bust picks and Kinlaw as, at best, a major disappointment. But getting those four looks pretty good in my view.
Free agent signings = A+

Overall = A

I'd love to see someone grade us by round. It's mesmerizing how we can be so good and yet so bad at the early rounds. It's like we are three point sharpshooters but can't hit free throws.
Agree with all your grades except 3rd Rd. Too many fails there to get an A+. Tarvarius Moore, TDP, Sermon, Gray, Witherspoon. All bad. Warner is really it.
Would like to shed some light on how well the Ambry Thomas pick has turned out. His emergence has been a huge development for our defense and a very pleasant surprise this season. Chalk it up as another draft win for John Lynch.
Originally posted by Rice-a-Ronnie:
I'd love to see someone grade us by round. It's mesmerizing how we can be so good and yet so bad at the early rounds. It's like we are three point sharpshooters but can't hit free throws.
Agree with all your grades except 3rd Rd. Too many fails there to get an A+. Tarvarius Moore, TDP, Sermon, Gray, Witherspoon. All bad. Warner is really it.

dude i think you have no idea

in all round if you get 1 long term starter the draft is considered a win
Originally posted by ritz126:

Now it'll be an all pro player from every draft save 2020 and even then BA isn't that far off.
Originally posted by Rice-a-Ronnie:

You still need to acquire depth and we haven't really done that

we dont have depth?

we dont have depth?

Right? We have depth all over the field, except maybe the OL, we have depth at multiple spots, good depth, hard to have 53 good to great players in the cap era.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Would like to shed some light on how well the Ambry Thomas pick has turned out. His emergence has been a huge development for our defense and a very pleasant surprise this season. Chalk it up as another draft win for John Lynch.

I think Wilks has done more to develop Ambry vs his draft status. In other words, he was ok prior to the Wilks hire, but since Wilks has become our DC, the DB's have performed much better than ever.

I think coaches have a big role in finding and developing those low round picks.
You can't forget that the Niners draft near the end of the round nearly every year. Picks are bigger question marks after the 20th pick. Even beyond the 15th. If the were picking in the top 10 or even top 15 in every round like so many teams do every year you would expect more but even those teams fail as often as they succeed.

The only really bad draft was the 2017 (their first) where they drafted Thomas and Foster and of course the year they moved up to draft Lance. Other than that they've been pretty good in rounds 1-2. Bosa, Deebo, Aiyuk, Banks and McGlinchey were or still are starters. Kinlaw has been disappointing but that's partly because injuries held him back
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by mitpdub:

Exactly this

Honestly, it's the best value possible cause the pick is guaranteed locked up for 4 years. If Brock was an UDFA, I think it would only be 3 years and the third year would be a first round tender situation. I could slightly be off on that but its ideal to have the cheap contract for four years, IMO.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38284480/the-surprising-upside-being-undrafted-free-agent-nfl
[ Edited by tankle104 on Dec 6, 2023 at 8:53 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone