There are 184 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think that if a backup lineman is good enough to start somewhere, teams would be calling for that guy. I feel like offensive line play isn't as strong these days, so teams would be willing to go and trade if they can identify an upgrade somewhere that's just sitting on the bench.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Rice-a-Ronnie:
I'd love to see someone grade us by round. It's mesmerizing how we can be so good and yet so bad at the early rounds. It's like we are three point sharpshooters but can't hit free throws.
Agree with all your grades except 3rd Rd. Too many fails there to get an A+. Tarvarius Moore, TDP, Sermon, Gray, Witherspoon. All bad. Warner is really it.

dude i think you have no idea

in all round if you get 1 long term starter the draft is considered a win

You still need to acquire depth and we haven't really done that

lol what?

OL is full of problems

You said they haven't really acquired depth, which is not accurate.

I would argue we have bad OL, TE, and questionable depth at DB.

So it boils down to lack of OL depth then for you. That's fair. But to act as though this team has not built depth on top of top tier talent is just not accurate.
OL is full of problems

Find 1 singular team that is happy with their OL depth

Knowing how Purdy got hurt, we did nothing to address that part of the OL.

Purdy got hurt because a 3rd string TE missed his block, not the OL
I'd love to see someone grade us by round. It's mesmerizing how we can be so good and yet so bad at the early rounds. It's like we are three point sharpshooters but can't hit free throws.
Agree with all your grades except 3rd Rd. Too many fails there to get an A+. Tarvarius Moore, TDP, Sermon, Gray, Witherspoon. All bad. Warner is really it.

lol what?

OL is full of problems

So it boils down to lack of OL depth then for you. That's fair. But to act as though this team has not built depth on top of top tier talent is just not accurate.

no our team has to be a pro bowl roster
OL is full of problems

I mentioned TE too, we need better bodies at multiple positions that are responsible
for keeping Brock upright.

lol what?

OL is full of problems

I don't trust anybody on the OL outside Trent, we need to get better for this to be sustainable.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I think that if a backup lineman is good enough to start somewhere, teams would be calling for that guy. I feel like offensive line play isn't as strong these days, so teams would be willing to go and trade if they can identify an upgrade somewhere that's just sitting on the bench.

trust me i was looking for teams with OL depth in the offseason after preseason games

not a single team was happy with OL depth not one
OL is full of problems

I mentioned TE too, we need better bodies at multiple positions that are responsible

Yes, but your initial comment was about the right side of the OL being the reason he got hurt and they did nothing to address it. In reality it was the 4th string (I was wrong that it was 3rd) TE who missed the block. I wouldn't mind having another dual threat TE, but not sure how feasible that is for depth, especially 4th string TE depth depth
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Dec 6, 2023 at 3:20 PM ]

QB has to know his protections all the same. He has to know his backup TE will be blocking their best PR.
I don't trust anybody on the OL outside Trent, we need to get better for this to be sustainable.

Every team can say this…and they don't have the best LT in football.

We have the best roster in football, but you can't have star players in every position. Somethings have to give.

The team chose to prioritize resources in offensive skill positions, LT, and Defensive front 6. If you want a tier 1 OL, then which positions are you willing to throw less resources at?

Skill positions? Let Aiyuk walk? Trade CMC, Kittle, and or Deebo?

How about defensive front 6? Trade Bosa, Warner, or Hargreaves? Let Chase Young walk?

You tell me what you want that is realistic.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
We have the best roster in football, but you can't have star players in every position. Somethings have to give.

The team chose to prioritize resources in offensive skill positions, LT, and Defensive front 6. If you want a tier 1 OL, then which positions are you willing to throw less resources at?

How about defensive front 6? Trade Bosa, Warner, or Hargreaves? Let Chase Young walk?

The draft is the great equalizer. Its where you can find quality OL on the cheap. Its how the Eagles have been able to have excellent OL's, they've done a good job drafting them. What the 49ers need to do is simply stop wasting so many draft picks. Trey Sermon, TDP, Danny Gray and now Cameron Latu who looked like he was in no way ready to play on an NFL roster before he ended up on IR. You gotta get more output of the middle rounds, especially once you start paying Purdy the real big money.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by libertyforever:

The draft is the great equalizer. Its where you can find quality OL on the cheap. Its how the Eagles have been able to have excellent OL's, they've done a good job drafting them. What the 49ers need to do is simply stop wasting so many draft picks. Trey Sermon, TDP, Danny Gray and now Cameron Latu who looked like he was in no way ready to play on an NFL roster before he ended up on IR. You gotta get more output of the middle rounds, especially once you start paying Purdy the real big money.

Over the last 7 years, this team has arguably been the best in the league in terms building the roster. If your answer is to just do it even better. Ok. But I don't consider that to be a real realistic answer. A realistic answer has to be prioritize the OL and less on other positions. Which other positions can you throw less resources at. That is the real question.

You can certainly play the hindsight game and look at all the steals in the draft and conclude if we drafted all of them we would be great. That is not realistic to me.

The Eagles example doesn't work IMO because I would argue we have a more talented roster overall. It certainly doesn't seem like they throw as much resources at the offensive skill positions, LBs, and DBs compared to us. So at the end of the day it is the same question. Which other positions do you want to throw resources at?
[ Edited by libertyforever on Dec 6, 2023 at 6:21 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Every team can say this…and they don't have the best LT in football.

It's as good as it will be this season, but you better believe that we'll draft at least 2 O-lineman and hopefully a T in the first round.

lol what?

OL is full of problems

I REFUSE to believe that the fans are not so happy about KIVO !!! He's making so much LESSER noise than Glynch !!!

He SOLID !! he SOLID !!!
Share 49ersWebzone