There are 167 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I don't know if you have to sacrifice a position group, specially with the comp picks Kyle is getting from his coaches getting poached. I know they are only 3rd round picks or lower, but that still helps to shore up any weak positions on the team. I think it's almost a sure thing that Anthony Lynn is gone by next year and is a HC somewhere else. That's possibly two extra third round picks in the future.

Why would it be a sure thing? He was HC before, he flopped badly. Not a single decision maker around the NFL is crediting him with the success of the 49ers offense and he's not exactly a young up and comer either.

I don't see why not. It's not a *zero* chance he won't be interviewed either. All or most of Kyle's assistant coaches have done well (specially his offensive coaches) and so I don't see why the NFL would not want to take a look at Anthony Lynn and interview him for a HC position. Even if its just for the Roony rule. Don't forget, we had a losing season and Kyle's coaching staff *still got raided.*
For fun, here are the draft rounds of the top 30 OTs on PFF today. The names don't matter for where top guys are drafted. The value of 1st round picks is obvious.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
For fun, here are the draft rounds of the top 30 OTs on PFF today. The names don't matter for where top guys are drafted. The value of 1st round picks is obvious.

I think for most teams the number one pick is important becuase they can evaluate speed, strength and agility etc..more easily and more likely than not, pick a decent player in the high rounds.

For good teams that have a solid scheme, and know what kinds of players fit their scheme a number 1 pick isn't as needed, if they can get an equivalent player in the lower rounds, but maybe with less college stats, or somehow thier body, their measurables, or play style fits the kind of stuff thier system asks players to do.

(For example) A guy like Trent Williams will fit any offensive scheme. But a guy like McKivits may only fit certain schemes that need more mobility and less power and strength.
Originally posted by dj43:

i bet if you break ir down most of them are top 10 to top 15 though

which is where we drafted our OT too FWIW
I hope Lynch brings in Zach Ertz. I've always loved this guy since Stanford, he's a SB champ, smart player, a playmaker, and he fits with the attitude and mind set of this team. Sure he's not the player he used to be, and he's got some contract baggage ahead, maybe you trade him this off-season. You would also be blocking another contender like Philly from signing him. This is it, this is the season we take the Lombardi, and just like the Logan Ryan signing, I think, with Dwelley injured, you pounce on the opportunity to take a guy with champions blood for the stretch run. You pair him with Kittle, and if anything else, it's insurance in case Kittle pulls a hammy or something. Its strengthening the roster and the locker room.
[ Edited by BP13 on Dec 8, 2023 at 10:48 AM ]
Originally posted by BP13:
I hope Lynch brings in Zach Ertz. I've always loved this guy since Stanford, he's a SB champ, smart player, a playmaker, and he fits with the attitude and mind set of this team. Sure he's not the player he used to be, and he's got some contract baggage ahead, maybe you trade him this off-season. You would also be blocking another contender like Philly from signing him. This is it, this is the season we take the Lombardi, and just like the Logan Ryan signing, I think, with Dwelley injured, you pounce on the opportunity to take a guy with champions blood for the stretch run. You pair him with Kittle, and if anything else, it's insurance in case Kittle pulls a hammy or something. Its strengthening the roster and the locker room.

I agree, but I wonder what Ertz's asking price is, so late in the season, only 5 weeks left, I would have thought it'd be done by now, him signing with someone that is.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by BP13:

I agree, but I wonder what Ertz's asking price is, so late in the season, only 5 weeks left, I would have thought it'd be done by now, him signing with someone that is.

Agree, and how effective will he be without the full playbook, vs a guy like Braden Willis, who has studied the playbook since training camp. Then again, Jimmy came in cold and so did CMC with not much problems. I think cap space is more of an issue than knowing the plays.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Agree, and how effective will he be without the full playbook, vs a guy like Braden Willis, who has studied the playbook since training camp. Then again, Jimmy came in cold and so did CMC with not much problems. I think cap space is more of an issue than knowing the plays.

Who?
Originally posted by All22:

Who?
does willis even have a number ?
The question is - will a guy like ertz actually help us? Of course in the passing game he will but what about the run game? Always been a poor blocker.

what about special teams? He isn't a special teams guy.

so all he is good for us passing plays and you know in kyles system, half of it is disguising and everyone doing everything. I feel like it'll make us more predictable and hurt our already subpar special teams.

id love to have another awesome pass catcher at te but the fact he is so one dimensional concerns me. I won't be mad if we sign him, just wonder how much it'll actually help us.

I see him going back to Philly because his heart is there. It would mean more for him to win there than here. I also think baltimore is a more likely spot because of how much they need a quality catching TE.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Dec 8, 2023 at 11:50 AM ]

Who?

Tight end. 7th round draft pick.
Originally posted by English:

Who?

I think he's making a joke that his name is actually Brayden Willis. Lol not Braden
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by English:

Who?

I think he's making a joke that his name is actually Brayden Willis. Lol not Braden

Oh. Not hugely humorous but never mind.
Originally posted by tankle104:
The question is - will a guy like ertz actually help us? Of course in the passing game he will but what about the run game? Always been a poor blocker.

what about special teams? He isn't a special teams guy.

so all he is good for us passing plays and you know in kyles system, half of it is disguising and everyone doing everything. I feel like it'll make us more predictable and hurt our already subpar special teams.

id love to have another awesome pass catcher at te but the fact he is so one dimensional concerns me. I won't be mad if we sign him, just wonder how much it'll actually help us.

I see him going back to Philly because his heart is there. It would mean more for him to win there than here. I also think baltimore is a more likely spot because of how much they need a quality catching TE.

Great points there,
Been listening to a lot of the chatter about Brock Purdy and MVP... and how his play suffered when Trent and Deebo were out. How CMC is also in the MVP conversation... how Purdy doesn't need to do a lot of heavy lifting. That's all media and fan debate, which we can all argue about until the cow's go home.

But can I just say, that from a team perspective, it's a great problem that we have. We don't have one guy having to be the hero and carry the team. We have so many guys that can shoulder the load between Brock Purdy, CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, Trent Williams leading the O-line... On defense, Bosa leads a star-studded D-Line. Warner and Greenlaw are an incredible tandem. Mooney Ward leads a really solid secondary that's coming into its own.

It bodes well that any one can make something happen and really speaks volumes about the team that Lynch and Shanahan have built.
Share 49ersWebzone