LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 188 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Been listening to a lot of the chatter about Brock Purdy and MVP... and how his play suffered when Trent and Deebo were out. How CMC is also in the MVP conversation... how Purdy doesn't need to do a lot of heavy lifting. That's all media and fan debate, which we can all argue about until the cow's go home.

But can I just say, that from a team perspective, it's a great problem that we have. We don't have one guy having to be the hero and carry the team. We have so many guys that can shoulder the load between Brock Purdy, CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, Trent Williams leading the O-line... On defense, Bosa leads a star-studded D-Line. Warner and Greenlaw are an incredible tandem. Mooney Ward leads a really solid secondary that's coming into its own.

It bodes well that any one can make something happen and really speaks volumes about the team that Lynch and Shanahan have built.

Without Trent, especially with who his replacement is, that is a bottom 5 o line. We played some good d lines too (browns are one of the best in the league and Vikings have some real good players). So it's hard to operate for any qb behind a horrible o line.

we also lost CMC in that game. So missing 3 of your best players is extremely difficult to overcome 90%+ of the time. Idc who you are. We saw Mahommes get pummeled in the super bowl because his o line was decimated.

couple that with our struggling defense in that stretch, it was a perfect storm.

now Brock made mistakes in those three loses, he isn't innocent, but you can kinda count on both hands how many bad plays he had in those three games. Couple that with a concussion - it's tough to overcome and he still actually played pretty well besides the turnovers.

i think it's a dumb argument from some, personally, but it is what it is. I hope Brock gets it but I also don't worry too much cause I know he is going to get the Super Bowl MVP - the one that really matters.

can't wait to see what our new super bowl rings look like 😍😍😍
Originally posted by tankle104:
Without Trent, especially with who his replacement is, that is a bottom 5 o line. We played some good d lines too (browns are one of the best in the league and Vikings have some real good players). So it's hard to operate for any qb behind a horrible o line.

we also lost CMC in that game. So missing 3 of your best players is extremely difficult to overcome 90%+ of the time. Idc who you are. We saw Mahommes get pummeled in the super bowl because his o line was decimated.

couple that with our struggling defense in that stretch, it was a perfect storm.

now Brock made mistakes in those three loses, he isn't innocent, but you can kinda count on both hands how many bad plays he had in those three games. Couple that with a concussion - it's tough to overcome and he still actually played pretty well besides the turnovers.

i think it's a dumb argument from some, personally, but it is what it is. I hope Brock gets it but I also don't worry too much cause I know he is going to get the Super Bowl MVP - the one that really matters.

Yeah, the long-term future of the offensive line is a question mark, so how our Front Offense addresses life after Trent Williams is crucial to our future.

The three game slump is definitely a question mark in these debates. We're currently a game behind the Eagles in the playoff race, so hopefully those three losses don't haunt us in the end. If they don't, I actually think that we'll be better off for it though. I'm hoping the experiences are things that Brock Purdy will learn/grow from.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Yeah, the long-term future of the offensive line is a question mark, so how our Front Offense addresses life after Trent Williams is crucial to our future.

The three game slump is definitely a question mark in these debates. We're currently a game behind the Eagles in the playoff race, so hopefully those three losses don't haunt us in the end. If they don't, I actually think that we'll be better off for it though. I'm hoping the experiences are things that Brock Purdy will learn/grow from.

I think long term, it's going to be fine, so long as they give Foerster some talent to work with, instead of all these one year rentals. As others have said, I look forward to seeing ShanaLynch actually use another 3rd round pick (or maybe even higher) to shore up that OLine next year.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I think long term, it's going to be fine, so long as they give Foerster some talent to work with, instead of all these one year rentals. As others have said, I look forward to seeing ShanaLynch actually use another 3rd round pick (or maybe even higher) to shore up that OLine next year.

Agreed. Aaron Banks is an encouraging example of that. 2nd round pick is a pretty high pick for a Guard. He didn't see the field in his rookie year, but he was coached up and is a great Guard for us.

My wish is that if we don't luck into a veteran replacement for Trent, we somehow draft a first round talent, have him compete for the Right Tackle position, and groom him to take over at Left Tackle when Trent retires.

Agreed. Aaron Banks is an encouraging example of that. 2nd round pick is a pretty high pick for a Guard. He didn't see the field in his rookie year, but he was coached up and is a great Guard for us.

My wish is that if we don't luck into a veteran replacement for Trent, we somehow draft a first round talent, have him compete for the Right Tackle position, and groom him to take over at Left Tackle when Trent retires.

It seems like this years draft has a lot of quality o line prospects, so I'm hoping we can nab a couple in the first three rounds. I'd really like to see us get a talented tackle in the first and then a guard (who is versatile and can play center) in the 2 or 3.

we need to get more "Aaron banks" prospects on our roster. Young, talented o lineman who are on rookie deals.

i haven't been thrilled with the o lineman we've taken in the middle to late rounds. Really outside of banks, they've all been a bust or very mediocre. The way mckivitz gets beat sometimes is embarrassing. Lol
Go sign Ertz and Suh for the final push!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I been screaming about signing Suh since week 5, but quite honestly Kinlaw has played well enough where they stayed away from signing anyone.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

If i was Kyle, first thing I'd do after game 23 of the season , is to talk to Trent to see if he's thinking of retiring. Then based on that I'd spend a 1st on a left tackle if he is - and if not I'd drop that to a 2nd or 3rd. But got to get that OT position for sure. I'm going to assume Anthony Lynn gets a HC job, and if so - that would be another 3rd round OT/center pick for me also. Draft Nerds say this is a strong OLine class, now is the time for ShanaLynch to just overdraft the OLine position.

If i was Kyle, first thing I'd do after game 23 of the season , is to talk to Trent to see if he's thinking of retiring. Then based on that I'd spend a 1st on a left tackle if he is - and if not I'd drop that to a 2nd or 3rd. But got to get that OT position for sure. I'm going to assume Anthony Lynn gets a HC job, and if so - that would be another 3rd round OT/center pick for me also. Draft Nerds say this is a strong OLine class, now is the time for ShanaLynch to just overdraft the OLine position.

Why wouldn't you still draft a tackle in the first? Even if Trent doesn't retire after the season they could use an upgrade on the other side. If he's good enough he can switch when Trent does retire. O line and CB are the 2 biggest needs. If the available CB looked like a better player then they could go that route in the first and wait to the 2nd.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Why wouldn't you still draft a tackle in the first? Even if Trent doesn't retire after the season they could use an upgrade on the other side. If he's good enough he can switch when Trent does retire. O line and CB are the 2 biggest needs. If the available CB looked like a better player then they could go that route in the first and wait to the 2nd.

Personally, I'd like to go defense with that first round pick. Maybe another DT or DE. I don't know. But again, if Trent says he can play another year, and with Foerster doing fantastic job with 2nd round pick in Banks, I'm betting he can replicate that with another 2nd round OT pick. And I'd pick another two Offensive Line picks in addition to that 2nd rounder, because of Anthony Lynn (I think) getting a HC gig and generating more compensatory picks, so that makes it a total of three offensive line picks in my book. I think you can get defensive backs somewhere in the 3rd round as I think we have currently 2 third round picks and 2 fourth round picks in 2024.

Of course, that *ALL* changes if Trent says he's going to Retire.

The dark side of "the salary cap is not real."

The Saints are the salary cap version of heroin addicts caught in a downward spiral.

Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
We have the best roster in football, but you can't have star players in every position. Somethings have to give.

The team chose to prioritize resources in offensive skill positions, LT, and Defensive front 6. If you want a tier 1 OL, then which positions are you willing to throw less resources at?

Skill positions? Let Aiyuk walk? Trade CMC, Kittle, and or Deebo?

How about defensive front 6? Trade Bosa, Warner, or Hargreaves? Let Chase Young walk?

You tell me what you want that is realistic.

The draft is the great equalizer. Its where you can find quality OL on the cheap. Its how the Eagles have been able to have excellent OL's, they've done a good job drafting them. What the 49ers need to do is simply stop wasting so many draft picks. Trey Sermon, TDP, Danny Gray and now Cameron Latu who looked like he was in no way ready to play on an NFL roster before he ended up on IR. You gotta get more output of the middle rounds, especially once you start paying Purdy the real big money.

Over the last 7 years, this team has arguably been the best in the league in terms building the roster. If your answer is to just do it even better. Ok. But I don't consider that to be a real realistic answer. A realistic answer has to be prioritize the OL and less on other positions. Which other positions can you throw less resources at. That is the real question.

You can certainly play the hindsight game and look at all the steals in the draft and conclude if we drafted all of them we would be great. That is not realistic to me.

The Eagles example doesn't work IMO because I would argue we have a more talented roster overall. It certainly doesn't seem like they throw as much resources at the offensive skill positions, LBs, and DBs compared to us. So at the end of the day it is the same question. Which other positions do you want to throw resources at?

I think the issue is wasted picks where itl was pretty obvious those players were overdrafted. Thinking we should've gone in a different direction with the Trey Sermon, TDP, and Cameron Latu picks is not hindsight thinking. All of that could've went to OL or DB. With that said, I'm hoping they are looking to take two or three guys in the next draft. One or two tackles and one guard. It's the area where a rookie has the best chance to start and we can anticipate a future need.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I been screaming about signing Suh since week 5, but quite honestly Kinlaw has played well enough where they stayed away from signing anyone.

i think were good.We may get Ertiz as a solid secondary TE option but i don't think we need him
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Personally, I'd like to go defense with that first round pick. Maybe another DT or DE. I don't know. But again, if Trent says he can play another year, and with Foerster doing fantastic job with 2nd round pick in Banks, I'm betting he can replicate that with another 2nd round OT pick. And I'd pick another two Offensive Line picks in addition to that 2nd rounder, because of Anthony Lynn (I think) getting a HC gig and generating more compensatory picks, so that makes it a total of three offensive line picks in my book. I think you can get defensive backs somewhere in the 3rd round as I think we have currently 2 third round picks and 2 fourth round picks in 2024.

Of course, that *ALL* changes if Trent says he's going to Retire.

This team is pretty well set on the D line. I'm sure they'll draft one anyway somewhere but this is a good year for O linemen. Why not take advantage of it when they are set in most other areas. They need an upgrade opposite Trent and they need to start grooming his replacement. You can't wait until he retires and then hope there is another free agent on the market that can replace him. Good O linemen don't come along every year in the draft.
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

i think were good.We may get Ertiz as a solid secondary TE option but i don't think we need him

Imagine what Kyle could do with 2 legit pass catching threats at TE? LB's and S's wouldn't have a prayer.

This is your shot, John. Doooooo it!
Share 49ersWebzone