LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 265 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Go sign Ertz and Suh for the final push!

I been screaming about signing Suh since week 5, but quite honestly Kinlaw has played well enough where they stayed away from signing anyone.

i think were good.We may get Ertiz as a solid secondary TE option but i don't think we need him

Imagine what Kyle could do with 2 legit pass catching threats at TE? LB's and S's wouldn't have a prayer.

This is your shot, John. Doooooo it!
I think it would give Kyle some deadly options in the red zone with 12 personnel. Imagine Ertz and Kittle running wild in the endzone.
Originally posted by BP13:

I been screaming about signing Suh since week 5, but quite honestly Kinlaw has played well enough where they stayed away from signing anyone.

i think were good.We may get Ertiz as a solid secondary TE option but i don't think we need him

Imagine what Kyle could do with 2 legit pass catching threats at TE? LB's and S's wouldn't have a prayer.

I think it would give Kyle some deadly options in the red zone with 12 personnel. Imagine Ertz and Kittle running wild in the endzone.

I'm sure Lynch's is waiting on the price to fall but this is a no brainer. Kyle has been looking for that legit 2nd TE forever here.

I'm sure Lynch's is waiting on the price to fall but this is a no brainer. Kyle has been looking for that legit 2nd TE forever here.
It's up to Ertz also. We could be low on his list
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Dec 10, 2023 at 9:04 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
It seems like this years draft has a lot of quality o line prospects, so I'm hoping we can nab a couple in the first three rounds. I'd really like to see us get a talented tackle in the first and then a guard (who is versatile and can play center) in the 2 or 3.

we need to get more "Aaron banks" prospects on our roster. Young, talented o lineman who are on rookie deals.

i haven't been thrilled with the o lineman we've taken in the middle to late rounds. Really outside of banks, they've all been a bust or very mediocre. The way mckivitz gets beat sometimes is embarrassing. Lol

Zakelj, Banks, Moore, McKivitz, and Burford are all young still. OLInemen do take a bit to develop so there is a bit of a lag time from the time you draft them to them reaching their potential. So there is that. But agree, the 49ers have to find Trent's understudy before he retires. That understudy could be great depth too, and help in the cap savings. 49ers currently have (I think) 11 draft picks - not including any compensatory draft picks for the "Possible" poaching hire of Anthony Lynn as HC. Other than McGlinchy, they seem to like OLInemen in the fourth through sixth round area. 49ers have five picks in the fourth through the sixth rounds next year.
Originally posted by Giedi:
It seems like this years draft has a lot of quality o line prospects, so I'm hoping we can nab a couple in the first three rounds. I'd really like to see us get a talented tackle in the first and then a guard (who is versatile and can play center) in the 2 or 3.

we need to get more "Aaron banks" prospects on our roster. Young, talented o lineman who are on rookie deals.

i haven't been thrilled with the o lineman we've taken in the middle to late rounds. Really outside of banks, they've all been a bust or very mediocre. The way mckivitz gets beat sometimes is embarrassing. Lol

Zakelj, Banks, Moore, McKivitz, and Burford are all young still. OLInemen do take a bit to develop so there is a bit of a lag time from the time you draft them to them reaching their potential. So there is that. But agree, the 49ers have to find Trent's understudy before he retires. That understudy could be great depth too, and help in the cap savings. 49ers currently have (I think) 11 draft picks - not including any compensatory draft picks for the "Possible" poaching hire of Anthony Lynn as HC. Other than McGlinchy, they seem to like OLInemen in the fourth through sixth round area. 49ers have five picks in the fourth through the sixth rounds next year.

i think people need to ease up on the OL Purdy had a lot of clean pockets against both Dallas and Philly both have easily a top 5 DL if not top 3 (along with us)
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Without Trent, especially with who his replacement is, that is a bottom 5 o line. We played some good d lines too (browns are one of the best in the league and Vikings have some real good players). So it's hard to operate for any qb behind a horrible o line.

we also lost CMC in that game. So missing 3 of your best players is extremely difficult to overcome 90%+ of the time. Idc who you are. We saw Mahommes get pummeled in the super bowl because his o line was decimated.

couple that with our struggling defense in that stretch, it was a perfect storm.

now Brock made mistakes in those three loses, he isn't innocent, but you can kinda count on both hands how many bad plays he had in those three games. Couple that with a concussion - it's tough to overcome and he still actually played pretty well besides the turnovers.

i think it's a dumb argument from some, personally, but it is what it is. I hope Brock gets it but I also don't worry too much cause I know he is going to get the Super Bowl MVP - the one that really matters.

can't wait to see what our new super bowl rings look like 😍😍😍

Yeah, the long-term future of the offensive line is a question mark, so how our Front Offense addresses life after Trent Williams is crucial to our future.

The three game slump is definitely a question mark in these debates. We're currently a game behind the Eagles in the playoff race, so hopefully those three losses don't haunt us in the end. If they don't, I actually think that we'll be better off for it though. I'm hoping the experiences are things that Brock Purdy will learn/grow from.

I think long term, it's going to be fine, so long as they give Foerster some talent to work with, instead of all these one year rentals. As others have said, I look forward to seeing ShanaLynch actually use another 3rd round pick (or maybe even higher) to shore up that OLine next year.

Agreed. Aaron Banks is an encouraging example of that. 2nd round pick is a pretty high pick for a Guard. He didn't see the field in his rookie year, but he was coached up and is a great Guard for us.

My wish is that if we don't luck into a veteran replacement for Trent, we somehow draft a first round talent, have him compete for the Right Tackle position, and groom him to take over at Left Tackle when Trent retires.

If i was Kyle, first thing I'd do after game 23 of the season , is to talk to Trent to see if he's thinking of retiring. Then based on that I'd spend a 1st on a left tackle if he is - and if not I'd drop that to a 2nd or 3rd. But got to get that OT position for sure. I'm going to assume Anthony Lynn gets a HC job, and if so - that would be another 3rd round OT/center pick for me also. Draft Nerds say this is a strong OLine class, now is the time for ShanaLynch to just overdraft the OLine position.

Why wouldn't you still draft a tackle in the first? Even if Trent doesn't retire after the season they could use an upgrade on the other side. If he's good enough he can switch when Trent does retire. O line and CB are the 2 biggest needs. If the available CB looked like a better player then they could go that route in the first and wait to the 2nd.

One reason I might not take a offensive tackle in the first round, is if you are going to pick at the 32nd spot in the first round, and it's the equivalent of a 2nd round pick. To get a Trent Williams level kind of an athlete - you probably have to package a couple of lower round picks and move up to the mid first rounds or even higher - possibly - into the top 10 picks of the first round. That might be too capital intensive for the 49ers, and they just might get the best player available in the 32nd spot (hypothetically), and focus on possibly getting the best left tackle free agent they can in the free agency period (maybe a Rashawn Slater deal?) if they have the cap space to do it.

Now if they don't have the cap space, and they are picking in the 32nd spot area (or around there) they might just punt and draft OLinemen in the 4th through 6th rounds. That, of course, all changes if the 49ers find out that Trent is going to retire next year, then of course, even at the 32nd spot, I'm pretty sure they will probably shoot for a left tackle in the draft.
Without Trent, especially with who his replacement is, that is a bottom 5 o line. We played some good d lines too (browns are one of the best in the league and Vikings have some real good players). So it's hard to operate for any qb behind a horrible o line.

we also lost CMC in that game. So missing 3 of your best players is extremely difficult to overcome 90%+ of the time. Idc who you are. We saw Mahommes get pummeled in the super bowl because his o line was decimated.

couple that with our struggling defense in that stretch, it was a perfect storm.

now Brock made mistakes in those three loses, he isn't innocent, but you can kinda count on both hands how many bad plays he had in those three games. Couple that with a concussion - it's tough to overcome and he still actually played pretty well besides the turnovers.

i think it's a dumb argument from some, personally, but it is what it is. I hope Brock gets it but I also don't worry too much cause I know he is going to get the Super Bowl MVP - the one that really matters.

Yeah, the long-term future of the offensive line is a question mark, so how our Front Offense addresses life after Trent Williams is crucial to our future.

The three game slump is definitely a question mark in these debates. We're currently a game behind the Eagles in the playoff race, so hopefully those three losses don't haunt us in the end. If they don't, I actually think that we'll be better off for it though. I'm hoping the experiences are things that Brock Purdy will learn/grow from.

I think long term, it's going to be fine, so long as they give Foerster some talent to work with, instead of all these one year rentals. As others have said, I look forward to seeing ShanaLynch actually use another 3rd round pick (or maybe even higher) to shore up that OLine next year.

Agreed. Aaron Banks is an encouraging example of that. 2nd round pick is a pretty high pick for a Guard. He didn't see the field in his rookie year, but he was coached up and is a great Guard for us.

My wish is that if we don't luck into a veteran replacement for Trent, we somehow draft a first round talent, have him compete for the Right Tackle position, and groom him to take over at Left Tackle when Trent retires.

If i was Kyle, first thing I'd do after game 23 of the season , is to talk to Trent to see if he's thinking of retiring. Then based on that I'd spend a 1st on a left tackle if he is - and if not I'd drop that to a 2nd or 3rd. But got to get that OT position for sure. I'm going to assume Anthony Lynn gets a HC job, and if so - that would be another 3rd round OT/center pick for me also. Draft Nerds say this is a strong OLine class, now is the time for ShanaLynch to just overdraft the OLine position.

Why wouldn't you still draft a tackle in the first? Even if Trent doesn't retire after the season they could use an upgrade on the other side. If he's good enough he can switch when Trent does retire. O line and CB are the 2 biggest needs. If the available CB looked like a better player then they could go that route in the first and wait to the 2nd.

One reason I might not take a offensive tackle in the first round, is if you are going to pick at the 32nd spot in the first round, and it's the equivalent of a 2nd round pick. To get a Trent Williams level kind of an athlete - you probably have to package a couple of lower round picks and move up to the mid first rounds or even higher - possibly - into the top 10 picks of the first round. That might be too capital intensive for the 49ers, and they just might get the best player available in the 32nd spot (hypothetically), and focus on possibly getting the best left tackle free agent they can in the free agency period (maybe a Rashawn Slater deal?) if they have the cap space to do it.

Now if they don't have the cap space, and they are picking in the 32nd spot area (or around there) they might just punt and draft OLinemen in the 4th through 6th rounds. That, of course, all changes if the 49ers find out that Trent is going to retire next year, then of course, even at the 32nd spot, I'm pretty sure they will probably shoot for a left tackle in the draft.

most of those OT are drafted in top 10 though there is a pretty big drop off typically between those high end OT and ones in late first and after
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

It's up to Ertz also. We could be low on his list

Absolutely. But then he's dumb if he wants to go elsewhere. Haha

i think people need to ease up on the OL Purdy had a lot of clean pockets against both Dallas and Philly both have easily a top 5 DL if not top 3 (along with us)

Yes, we have young guys developing and we should continue to add guys. We have elite D lineman and kept adding. We kept adding running backs high for some reason. We have one elite Olineman. In general none of us really thinks we have an advantage at that spot, the way we do every other position, including corner.

I think the idea of going for a Trent is like saying we want to draft a Hall of Famer. I just want someone good, which we can get at 32. And if we have a few good O-lineman (like 3), I can live with that because I expect a drop off when Trent retires.

I might take a shot at that type of prospect in 2026 (as his deal is about to expire and assuming he isn't retired), on the condition of us having some great drafts 2022 - 2025, which means drafting great and guys already on the team stepping up so what we have an abundance of great players on rookie deals. We'd also would have drafted a tackle in 2024 that is holding down the RT position.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

most of those OT are drafted in top 10 though there is a pretty big drop off typically between those high end OT and ones in late first and after

Most definitely Agree 💯%. Trent was a top 4 pick. To get the top 4 pick, I think you have to something like a 2-15 to about 4-13 record. No way the 49ers are ever going to have that kind of a record with Brock as QB, so it's going to have to be either a massive trade up (like the Trey Lance pick/deal) or another Trent Williams type of deal, but this time they probably will have to use up a *LOT* more cap space and draft capital for the trade.

Most definitely Agree 💯%. Trent was a top 4 pick. To get the top 4 pick, I think you have to something like a 2-15 to about 4-13 record. No way the 49ers are ever going to have that kind of a record with Brock as QB, so it's going to have to be either a massive trade up (like the Trey Lance pick/deal) or another Trent Williams type of deal, but this time they probably will have to use up a *LOT* more cap space and draft capital for the trade.

I'd just like 5 guys in the top 30 at their position with at least one guy in the top 15.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Yes, we have young guys developing and we should continue to add guys. We have elite D lineman and kept adding. We kept adding running backs high for some reason. We have one elite Olineman. In general none of us really thinks we have an advantage at that spot, the way we do every other position, including corner.

I think the idea of going for a Trent is like saying we want to draft a Hall of Famer. I just want someone good, which we can get at 32. And if we have a few good O-lineman (like 3), I can live with that because I expect a drop off when Trent retires.

I might take a shot at that type of prospect in 2026 (as his deal is about to expire and assuming he isn't retired), on the condition of us having some great drafts 2022 - 2025, which means drafting great and guys already on the team stepping up so what we have an abundance of great players on rookie deals. We'd also would have drafted a tackle in 2024 that is holding down the RT position.

Agree, if you are going to draft at the 32nd spot, your odds of drafting a Joe Jacoby (Hall of Fame OT) is low, having said that - Joe Jacoby was an *undrafted* OLIneman.

But I get your point, and I agree, I think the 49ers will somehow have to get Trent's understudy if he continues to play, or will have to do a blockbuster deal for a left tackle if Trent does retire. i.e. they somehow have to get a top flight, potential all pro level left tackle - not necessarily a hall of fame tackle right off the bat.

Having said that, Left Tackle is a very unique position in Kyle's offense, he *HAS* to be eventually a hall of fame level player, or at least at the Joe Staley level of play or Kyle's offense isn't going to work very well.
[ Edited by Giedi on Dec 10, 2023 at 10:25 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I'd just like 5 guys in the top 30 at their position with at least one guy in the top 15.

I think that would work out ok. Kyle will figure out an offense that doesn't have a Trent Williams level athlete at the left tackle spot.

Having said that, the unique aspect of Kyle's boot action, specially for a right handed QB, a great Left Tackle talent is a must. The Zone run plus the gap blocking that Trent can do really puts a defense in a bind, specially with Brock's mobility and accuracy moving to the right, while faking to the left. A Left Tackle that can do what Trent can do, makes Kyle's offense *lethal* and you can see what it can do against elite DLines like the Dallas and Philly DLines, when he has a Left Tackle like Trent.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Time to go out and sign Suh, getting banged up at DT.
Share 49ersWebzone