LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 232 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
We're already experiencing the annual purge of our FO and coaching tree.

The question is, if Peters and Wilks leaves, how many (pro personnel, scouts, position coaches, etc.) will they take with them?

I'm concerned with the OLine and DLines. Maybe get a assistant GM from a team with a good draft history on the OLine and DLine. Example Kansas City or maybe a strong DLine team like the Ravens organization. Just my quick takes on the matter right now.

As long as the systems stay intact and we have Kocurek and Foerster, they each have several assistants who continue to learn from each. And neither appear to have any desire to move to bigger coordinator roles so we should be safe. In theory.
Great article on possible replacements for Adam Peters.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/176844-peters-moving-whats-49ers-office/
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
We're already experiencing the annual purge of our FO and coaching tree.

The question is, if Peters and Wilks leaves, how many (pro personnel, scouts, position coaches, etc.) will they take with them?

I'm concerned with the OLine and DLines. Maybe get a assistant GM from a team with a good draft history on the OLine and DLine. Example Kansas City or maybe a strong DLine team like the Ravens organization. Just my quick takes on the matter right now.

I think it's more of a matter of not pulling the trigger or falling in love with certain physical traits or personality only. It's what burned us with Pettis, Williams, and Thomas. Fred Warner is the perfect blend of both as well as loving football. I don't think they have a talent identification problem. They just didn't prioritize the position early. If anything, what they need to adopt from the Ravens is the BPA philosophy. I don't get the sense that they stick to their board. The CJ Beathard and Jake Moody picks scream not sticking to the board. It's a very emotionally driven process at some points.
I hate that HC jobs have just become paydays. It feels like 75% of all hires dont even make it 5 seasons before theyre fired. Almost everyone, regardless of whether they're actually qualified, just takes the job because its way more money than they'll ever make as a coordinator or position coach.

Not that I think Wilks is irreplaceable, but its annoying knowing that if he goes to the Chargers or Falcons he's probably going to flop and get fired by year 3, but were always left with the staff turnover.

Teams need to just pay coordinators and position coaches better money so they aren't so desperate for that promotion. Pay them good money for being good at their job. They don't count towards the cap.

Obviously some guys are destined to be great HC's and want to leave to move up, but enough with the great coordinator who everyone knows would suck at running a team, but they accept the job just for the life changing money. Jim Tomsula used to brag to Washington players about how he was rich because of the Niner job and was getting paid big money from them after the fact.
List of some potential guys to take Peters place. I like the guy Ahmad.

Originally posted by Niners99:
I hate that HC jobs have just become paydays. It feels like 75% of all hires dont even make it 5 seasons before theyre fired. Almost everyone, regardless of whether they're actually qualified, just takes the job because its way more money than they'll ever make as a coordinator or position coach.

Not that I think Wilks is irreplaceable, but its annoying knowing that if he goes to the Chargers or Falcons he's probably going to flop and get fired by year 3, but were always left with the staff turnover.

Teams need to just pay coordinators and position coaches better money so they aren't so desperate for that promotion. Pay them good money for being good at their job. They don't count towards the cap.

Obviously some guys are destined to be great HC's and want to leave to move up, but enough with the great coordinator who everyone knows would suck at running a team, but they accept the job just for the life changing money. Jim Tomsula used to brag to Washington players about how he was rich because of the Niner job and was getting paid big money from them after the fact.

The NFL turns over too fast. Coordinators get jobs far before they are ready. It goes far beyond what they are paid. Then to add, if you don't have a franchise QB (more on a GM than a coach), you've got nothing. Few will take the Pittsburgh approach. The idea of getting in a room with a coach and saying, hey, what went wrong, what do you need, how can we improve escapes most teams. Some owners would've fired Kyle after 2018. It's not just the pay day. Its the impatience of those at the top.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Yeah Ahmad looks like the man. Additionally I fear that if we don't promote him someone, like Peters or Wilks for example, will simply poach him.
[ Edited by English on Jan 14, 2024 at 9:51 AM ]
Originally posted by English:

Yeah Ahmad looks like the man. Additionally I fear that if we don't promote him someone, like Peters or Wilks for example, will simply poach him.

Is there a more poached team than the Niners over the past few years?
Originally posted by Patton:

I don't know a site which keeps numbers but I doubt it. Most irritating is that Washington are allowed to poach Peters whilst, so far as I can tell, Mayhew is still in post. As I have said elsewhere, where is the incentive for other teams to bother developing their own people when, for zero outlay, they can just keep returning to take ours? NFL needs to put some controls in place which will allow staff to move around whilst protecting, to a reasonable extent, the successful teams. This will encourage the others to develop their own staff.

Specifically one that hasn't won SB. It's amazing.

peters to washington is a 3d chess move by Shanalynch. Get all their good players for even cheaper. he gets fired and when lynch retires he gets hired as our GM.
peters loves 49ers and hates washington commies and their new scumbag racist owner and will destroy that team from the inside.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmy3233:
peters to washington is a 3d chess move by Shanalynch. Get all their good players for even cheaper. he gets fired and when lynch retires he gets hired as our GM.
peters loves 49ers and hates washington commies and their new scumbag racist owner and will destroy that team from the inside.

Lunch is fairly young. He can be here another 20+ years no problem. Elway is 11 years older and still going strong.

THIS!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

THIS!

Agree, and I'll just add that Martin Mayhew hasn't really done the job in Washington. It may not be all his fault, but when he went there - he didn't hit on any blockbuster type players in my opinion. What I mean by that is - I don't hear Washington having drafted guys like a Kittle, Deebo, or a Purdy. Then again, I don't follow Washington and the fired coach was definitely not an offensive kind of guy.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

I don't know a site which keeps numbers but I doubt it. Most irritating is that Washington are allowed to poach Peters whilst, so far as I can tell, Mayhew is still in post. As I have said elsewhere, where is the incentive for other teams to bother developing their own people when, for zero outlay, they can just keep returning to take ours? NFL needs to put some controls in place which will allow staff to move around whilst protecting, to a reasonable extent, the successful teams. This will encourage the others to develop their own staff.

I work in the business world - this same concept is rampant even internally - less talented leaders just poach people you spent time developing.

the best leaders have a system to keep developing their own talent knowing some will get poached.
Share 49ersWebzone