LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 221 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by communist:
Greenlaw is a stupid player, sorry.

Back to topic:
Lynch has to go. Too many fails. If it were not for purdy, we would be doomed for years.
o-line sucks, db suck. for years. Trey Lance...

Originally posted by random49er:
Only see stupid fans. No stupid players tbh.

/end
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by English:

Back to topic:
Lynch has to go. Too many fails. If it were not for purdy, we would be doomed for years.

Here's a thought for you. When John Lynch walked in the door we had one of the worst rosters in the League. Maybe the actual worst. Now we have one of the best rosters in the NFL. Maybe the best. Our coaching staff and front office are so highly thought of, they are annually poached. But we stay, there or thereabouts, around the top. And you want to sack one of the two architects of this. As an aside, earlier this season a couple of posters were calling for Shanahan to be sacked. SMDH.

Here is what you are doing wrong. You are counting the failures. But the draft is a lottery. Every team has a whole pile of failures. It's expected. You should be counting the successes. That is where Lynch scores. The team which goes out to play is made up of the success's. The failures slide quietly out of the door.

John Lynch has proved his mastery at team building. As good as anyone in the team history and hugely better than most.

You NAILED it English!!

Add to that the trades and signings - Juice, Mooney Ward,

I agree.

Lance trade was historically bad and then drafting Purdy was historically great.. Luck or not it worked out. We kind of all agree they draft well mid to late, its just odd they miss up high often when doing well in the rounds that far more roulette than the top. Also not having a first rounder the last 2 years does have an impact. It also doesn't help that imo the last two drafts have been pretty bad overall as well, especially compared to their other drafts with 19/20/21 being very good.

I am all about the critique and there's definitely room for improvement, but I try to be fair.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Back to topic:

Here's a thought for you. When John Lynch walked in the door we had one of the worst rosters in the League. Maybe the actual worst. Now we have one of the best rosters in the NFL. Maybe the best. Our coaching staff and front office are so highly thought of, they are annually poached. But we stay, there or thereabouts, around the top. And you want to sack one of the two architects of this. As an aside, earlier this season a couple of posters were calling for Shanahan to be sacked. SMDH.

Here is what you are doing wrong. You are counting the failures. But the draft is a lottery. Every team has a whole pile of failures. It's expected. You should be counting the successes. That is where Lynch scores. The team which goes out to play is made up of the success's. The failures slide quietly out of the door.

John Lynch has proved his mastery at team building. As good as anyone in the team history and hugely better than most.

You NAILED it English!!

I agree.

Lance trade was historically bad and then drafting Purdy was historically great.. Luck or not it worked out. We kind of all agree they draft well mid to late, its just odd they miss up high often when doing well in the rounds that far more roulette than the top. Also not having a first rounder the last 2 years does have an impact. It also doesn't help that imo the last two drafts have been pretty bad overall as well, especially compared to their other drafts with 19/20/21 being very good.

I am all about the critique and there's definitely room for improvement, but I try to be fair.

Yes it all eventually worked out, thank the football gods. BUT if there is a time where those missing three first round picks are going to hurt, it's going to be in the Superbowl. I would have loved some more first round talent in our DB, OLine squads going into the Superbowl, but we're going to have to go with what we got.
The GOAT
Since Peters I'm curious to see how he drafts this year, but whatever criticisms you have about his past picks, the culture he built up in this organization has been amazing. That was a big reason why we became so resilient the last 2 weeks. Lynch has solidified himself as the top gm in the league idc.
I agree.

2022 is now an A draft no matter how any other player performs.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Back to topic:

You NAILED it English!!

I agree.

Yes it all eventually worked out, thank the football gods. BUT if there is a time where those missing three first round picks are going to hurt, it's going to be in the Superbowl. I would have loved some more first round talent in our DB, OLine squads going into the Superbowl, but we're going to have to go with what we got.

No guarantee those 3 1st rd picks work out, nor do we get players we got over those other 2 drafts that have helped or FAs, it is what it is, be thankful we have the roster we have, can't have 53 all pros, or 53 1st round caliber players.
It sounds like a lock, Tariq will be promoted.

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/john-lynch-general-manager-adam-peters/1698811/

Currently, the top-ranking individuals in the 49ers' personnel and scouting department under Lynch are director of pro personnel RJ Gillen and director of college scouting Tariq Ahmad.

"We got a really good plan," Lynch said. "It's going to come internally — not to say that later on there might not be an add. We're always looking."

Lynch expressed pride in the organization's long-standing system for developing scouts. Ethan Waugh, now assistant general manager of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and Peters were closely involved in creating the program.

"Tariq Ahmad is very instrumental in that," Lynch said. "We really do a nice job of training these guys, such that there is always a pipeline.
Originally posted by NCommand:
It sounds like a lock, Tariq will be promoted.

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/john-lynch-general-manager-adam-peters/1698811/

Currently, the top-ranking individuals in the 49ers' personnel and scouting department under Lynch are director of pro personnel RJ Gillen and director of college scouting Tariq Ahmad.

"We got a really good plan," Lynch said. "It's going to come internally — not to say that later on there might not be an add. We're always looking."

Lynch expressed pride in the organization's long-standing system for developing scouts. Ethan Waugh, now assistant general manager of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and Peters were closely involved in creating the program.

"Tariq Ahmad is very instrumental in that," Lynch said. "We really do a nice job of training these guys, such that there is always a pipeline.

Great stuff to hear!
Maybe John Lynch doing for scouts and FO, what Walsh did for coaching assistants and coordinators. More acceptance of accessibility of knowledge and moving up the ladder. That would be awesome. There were times early on Lynch wanted to be in the FO trade and needed to learn from other people that can help him. They were generous enough to help him make it happened. Maybe he had taken that into the FO development operation.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 4, 2024 at 6:45 AM ]

• All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Back to topic:

You NAILED it English!!

I agree.

No guarantee those 3 1st rd picks work out, nor do we get players we got over those other 2 drafts that have helped or FAs, it is what it is, be thankful we have the roster we have, can't have 53 all pros, or 53 1st round caliber players.

We got Hargrave for almost the exact money we would have spent on those 1st round picks.
[ Edited by All22 on Feb 4, 2024 at 7:22 AM ]
Originally posted by All22:

Back to topic:

You NAILED it English!!

I agree.

We got Hargrave for almost the exact money we would have spent on those 1st round picks.

And Hargrave has played good for us, had what 7 sacks in the regular season? Can't dwell on the past, and what went wrong, gotta look to the future, be happy we're able to have Hargrave, or guys like Bosa, Kittle, Warner, Deebo, Trent, Juice all signed to high priced deals, same with CMC, hindsight's 20/20, every GM makes mistakes, you can't hit on every pick, and as I said you can't have 53 1st rd talents, or 53 all pros like some think is possible, or what we should be doing, just not possible.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by All22:

Back to topic:

You NAILED it English!!

I agree.

And Hargrave has played good for us, had what 7 sacks in the regular season? Can't dwell on the past, and what went wrong, gotta look to the future, be happy we're able to have Hargrave, or guys like Bosa, Kittle, Warner, Deebo, Trent, Juice all signed to high priced deals, same with CMC, hindsight's 20/20, every GM makes mistakes, you can't hit on every pick, and as I said you can't have 53 1st rd talents, or 53 all pros like some think is possible, or what we should be doing, just not possible.

Whats great about this organization is they move on pretty quick. Trey was gone in year 3, and they spent 3 first rounders on him. Aiyuk is going to be a challenging sign. There's going to be a bidding war for him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Back to topic:

You NAILED it English!!

I agree.

Great points. With the won/loss records they got, most of those first rounders given up for Trey were going to be high second rounders in a sense.

It always hurts to draft busts like Reuben, Solomon, Pettis and Trey, but it happens. I'm always hoping our drafts go the way of the 1986 draft. Oh well.
Whats great about this organization is they move on pretty quick. Trey was gone in year 3, and they spent 3 first rounders on him. Aiyuk is going to be a challenging sign. There's going to be a bidding war for him.

I expect them to extend Aiyuk before the start of 24.
Share 49ersWebzone