There are 278 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
49ers apparently signed or are signing current Arena Football TE Cade Brewer, according to NFLDraftDiamonds.com
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Colton McKivitz was not the main reason they lost the Super Bowl.

Really? I call BS. He wasn't just bad during the playoffs and in the Super Bowl, he was horrible. Look at the tape before you make a comment like that. Brock had very little time to throw because opposing defenses had figured out the 49ers biggest weakness and they exploited it.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
He's not amazing, he's also not complete dogs**t or the worst starting RT in football. It was his first yr starting as well.

I beg to differ. He WAS the worst starting RT in all of NFL football during the playoffs and the SB. But he wasn't alone. The guard play on that right side was God Awful. The performances of those two, plus a late collapse on defense, IS the reason why we once again lost another SB. Why do you think Brock had problems running the offfense in all of those playoff games? Did it cross your mind just once that perhaps he wasn't getting time to throw the ball?

Originally posted by Giedi: I think Colton can get better. But the key is Trent Williams says he's still going to play in 2024. That gives the 49ers - possibly - another year to find that left tackle.

Really? So you really think Kyle and John should just roll the dice on Brock's long-term NFL health by "thinking" that Colton can get better? What are you going to think when Purdy gets carted off the field on a stretcher with a busted leg because Colton whiffed on another block? Putting your coins on Trent won't do anything. He missed a portion of last season due to injury. You can count on that again next season. Trent is great. But he is no spring chicken.

The last time the 49ers "rolled the dice" on a QB's long term health, Steve Young's brains got scrambled and it ended his career. Now, the team is going to do that with Purdy. The 49ers easily could have drafted an RT. The team traded up and down in the draft to target players. They just didn't target the position of RT. I get it. Lynch and Shanahan want to "roll the dice" with a weaker than f**k offensive line. Fine. I don't think it will work out. But what do I know? I'm just the average fan. Nothing more.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Really? I call BS. He wasn't just bad during the playoffs and in the Super Bowl, he was horrible. Look at the tape before you make a comment like that. Brock had very little time to throw because opposing defenses had figured out the 49ers biggest weakness and they exploited it.

He's not amazing, he's also not complete dogs**t or the worst starting RT in football. It was his first yr starting as well.

I beg to differ. He WAS the worst starting RT in all of NFL football during the playoffs and the SB. But he wasn't alone. The guard play on that right side was God Awful. The performances of those two, plus a late collapse on defense, IS the reason why we once again lost another SB. Why do you think Brock had problems running the offfense in all of those playoff games? Did it cross your mind just once that perhaps he wasn't getting time to throw the ball?

Originally posted by Giedi: I think Colton can get better. But the key is Trent Williams says he's still going to play in 2024. That gives the 49ers - possibly - another year to find that left tackle.

Really? So you really think Kyle and John should just roll the dice on Brock's long-term NFL health by "thinking" that Colton can get better? What are you going to think when Purdy gets carted off the field on a stretcher with a busted leg because Colton whiffed on another block? Putting your coins on Trent won't do anything. He missed a portion of last season due to injury. You can count on that again next season. Trent is great. But he is no spring chicken.

The last time the 49ers "rolled the dice" on a QB's long term health, Steve Young's brains got scrambled and it ended his career. Now, the team is going to do that with Purdy. The 49ers easily could have drafted an RT. The team traded up and down in the draft to target players. They just didn't target the position of RT. I get it. Lynch and Shanahan want to "roll the dice" with a weaker than f**k offensive line. Fine. I don't think it will work out. But what do I know? I'm just the average fan. Nothing more.

The trade up you are referring to cost them very little. To get a starting caliber RT they'd have to trade next years 1st to move up. I don't think they wanted to do that since they haven't had a first in the last 2 years.

let's not act like their was an ambundance of starting tackles that fit our scheme. They were a few but they all went off of the board before we picked.

The only move they probably missed out on was the tackle from Washington who went just before they picked in the 2nd. And who knows they may have made an offer but got beat out.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

It was Colton's first year starting at OTackle. Keep that in mind.

As Miked said, drafting 31'st almost guarantees you that you don't draft an elite OT talent like a Trent Williams. You have to go as high up as top 10. They did with McGlinchey (round 1 pick 9) and they still blew the draft pick.

So drafting a OT high is also not a guarantee of the 49ers getting a quality left tackle. Add in the fact that there was an early run on good OT's becuase its a passing league now and a whole bunch of teams run the Kyle Shanahan offense - and that also really complicates getting a left tackle for Kyle's system.
When were the Chiefs exploiting McKivitz? They were too busy going after Burford.
I love how you guys always justify all the decisions made by this FO.

We all know that McKivitz isn't a starting-caliber RT for a team that is trying to win the ring right now but because ShanaLynch didn't draft a RT you guys are saying that McKivitz isn't that bad and he can get better.

On the other side, if ShanaLynch had drafted a RT in rounds 1 or 2 you guys would be saying that thankfully we won't depend on McKivitz because he isn't a starting-caliber RT for a team that is trying to win the ring right now.

Originally posted by miked1978:

The trade up you are referring to cost them very little. To get a starting caliber RT they'd have to trade next years 1st to move up. I don't think they wanted to do that since they haven't had a first in the last 2 years.

let's not act like their was an ambundance of starting tackles that fit our scheme. They were a few but they all went off of the board before we picked.

The only move they probably missed out on was the tackle from Washington who went just before they picked in the 2nd. And who knows they may have made an offer but got beat out.

Actually if they traded up to where the Bengals or Vikings picked they would be able to draft Fautanu. The chart value was a 2nd and 2 4ths. Throw in a second from next year and we would be there. It is necessary and if we think that atrocious line play is ok then yes Purdy will have a shorter career. It's Kyles / Lynch's ego and I ssay Kyle' just thinks he's smarter and can scheme around a bad line play.

This was the last year for this group of players and how Purdy is still alive after the year is over. We won't make it to the NFCCG without better line play. McKivitz is not going to magically get better. We may get better guard play but we shall see.

I just remember when anything but winning a Superbowl was a bad year. As I've said before we always had good or great Olines.
[ Edited by bassmanr on Apr 30, 2024 at 8:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Monsterniner:

We all know that McKivitz isn't a starting-caliber RT for a team that is trying to win the ring right now but because ShanaLynch didn't draft a RT you guys are saying that McKivitz isn't that bad and he can get better.

On the other side, if ShanaLynch had drafted a RT in rounds 1 or 2 you guys would be saying that thankfully we won't depend on McKivitz because he isn't a starting-caliber RT for a team that is trying to win the ring right now.

No I wouldn't because I never expected a rookie that we'd have a chance at to actually unseat him. I thought Kingsley would be a target of theirs but never expected him to beat him out. He is raw and needs work. It would be a move from 2025 and beyond not this year. I was fine with that for the future. They went another way.

The Chiefs just won a SB with mediocre tackle play.

See there are those of us who follow the draft and know who these prospects are and there are those that just want positions drafted regardless of who the player is.
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Actually if they traded up to where the Bengals or Vikings picked they would be able to draft Fautanu. The chart value was a 2nd and 2 4ths. Throw in a second from next year and we would be there. It is necessary and if we think that atrocious line play is ok then yes Purdy will have a shorter career. It's Kyles / Lynch's ego and I ssay Kyle' just thinks he's smarter and can scheme around a bad line play.

This was the last year for this group of players and how Purdy is still alive after the year is over. We won't make it to the NFCCG without better line play. McKivitz is not going to magically get better. We may get better guard play but we shall see.

I just remember when anything but winning a Superbowl was a bad year. As I've said before we always had good or great Olines.

A team can't point to the value chart and make another team do a trade. it is a reference chart that i doubt is followed in draft rooms.

You clearly don't remember 1994. Steve Young wasn't crawling around on the turf at the Silverdome because he liked the feel.

Fautanu might not even stick at tackle in the pros. I'm not trading 2 2s and 2 4s for that.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Apr 30, 2024 at 8:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Monsterniner:

I disagree, i think he is a starting caliber. Not a pro bowl caliber, but if they get a great RG they can slide help to McKivitz.

But some people have a different opinion on what starting caliber means.

It wouldn't be magic. It would be gained experience and additional training. Development.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

A team can't point to the value chart and make another team do a trade. it is a reference chart that i doubt is followed in draft rooms.

The extra 2nd from next year was the sweetener and keep asking until they say yes.
[ Edited by bassmanr on Apr 30, 2024 at 10:07 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

It wouldn't be magic. It would be gained experience and additional training. Development.

Come on you know he's not going to get to the point of being good enough over the summer. It would be close to a miracle that he does not get Purdy killed next year. Watch the Baltimore and Cleveland games.

Detroit got better the eagles may have gotten better and Rams have had an impressive draft and rebuild. The Packers are up in coming not to mention the Bears. This was our year and we blew it this offseason not addressing the biggest need on this team.
[ Edited by bassmanr on Apr 30, 2024 at 8:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone