There are 201 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
For context, Donovan Smith, Wanya Morris and Jawaan Taylor were all graded lower from PFF than Colton Mckivitz.

So no, Mckivitz flaws are not gonna single handedly cost the 9ers the SB.

Colton McKivitz was actually on par in both the run and the pass with Mike McGlinchey who was drafted 9th overall. But what cost the 49ers a Super Bowl win was more than just the O-line's misses. People tend to forget the two fumbles the 49ers had, Greenlaw's injury and Oren Burks who couldn't cover anyone, you might as well put a mannequin out there in place of Greenlaw. Brock Purdy had a couple of mis reads, along with Shanahan's play calling who I think should've got Kittle more involved. So many things didn't go the 9ers way in the Super Bowl and all people can remember is Mckivitz.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
For context, Donovan Smith, Wanya Morris and Jawaan Taylor were all graded lower from PFF than Colton Mckivitz.

Colton McKivitz was actually on par in both the run and the pass with Mike McGlinchey who was drafted 9th overall. But what cost the 49ers a Super Bowl win was more than just the O-line's misses. People tend to forget the two fumbles the 49ers had, Greenlaw's injury and Oren Burks who couldn't cover anyone, you might as well put a mannequin out there in place of Greenlaw. Brock Purdy had a couple of mis reads, along with Shanahan's play calling who I think should've got Kittle more involved. So many things didn't go the 9ers way in the Super Bowl and all people can remember is Mckivitz.

Agree 💯% It was weird how Greenlaw and Feliciano get injured in the Superbowl and basically we lose two key players for pretty much the whole game. Kyle is snakbit in the Superbowl - or so it seems.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree 💯% It was weird how Greenlaw and Feliciano get injured in the Superbowl and basically we lose two key players for pretty much the whole game. Kyle is snakbit in the Superbowl - or so it seems.

Losing Greenlaw sucked, but the defense still did enough to win that game Imo. It was the offense that struggled for the most part and I'm guessing that's why Kyle drafted a receivers with the first pick.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Losing Greenlaw sucked, but the defense still did enough to win that game Imo. It was the offense that struggled for the most part and I'm guessing that's why Kyle drafted a receivers with the first pick.

The offense struggled but KC's struggled more. It was the muffed punt that brought KC to life and got them back in the game. One play. TD.

When Dre went down with the achilles injury I was gutted, knew it was over, Burks couldn't do what Dre can do, I'm more confident in Campbell since he's a veteran, and has to be better than Burks.

The Feliciano injury was weird, we went downhill, I see him as the starting RG this season, but he sure as heck didn't get starter money, 1yr $2.75M, surprised by how little we were able to get him for, considering how much Guards were getting, I still remember being totally shocked Carolina gave Robert Hunt $20M a year.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

The offense struggled but KC's struggled more. It was the muffed punt that brought KC to life and got them back in the game. One play. TD.

That return fiasco was ugh, McCloud's not at fault, Luter needed to stay away, but McCloud should of just landed on the ball, not try to pick it up.

This. Toss in a missed EXP in the 4th that would had forced KC to score a TD instead of tying it up with a FG.

Like you said so much didn't go their way and we still only lost by one score in OT.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This. Toss in a missed EXP in the 4th that would had forced KC to score a TD instead of tying it up with a FG.

Like you said so much didn't go their way and we still only lost by one score in OT.

KC also recovered all but one ball that was put on the ground as well.

And the always fun no calls on holding…whatever it's over now
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 1, 2024 at 11:55 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree 💯 %, they aren't going to call holding on the KC OLine in the Superbowl. It's happened twice now. No wonder they beefed up the defensive back squad in this draft.

This

Agree 💯 %, they aren't going to call holding on the KC OLine in the Superbowl. It's happened twice now. No wonder they beefed up the defensive back squad in this draft.

They tend to call fewer penalties in the SB. I don't know if the league tells them to let them play and not throw a lot of flags but it certainly seems that way. I like that but if a team knows this they might hold even more.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

They tend to call fewer penalties in the SB. I don't know if the league tells them to let them play and not throw a lot of flags but it certainly seems that way. I like that but if a team knows this they might hold even more.

If the league is telling the refs to call fewer penalties in the Super Bowl, doesn't it make the game fixed. And in that case the winner is already decided.
If the league is telling the refs to call fewer penalties in the Super Bowl, doesn't it make the game fixed. And in that case the winner is already decided.

No it makes the game less officiated. Might benefit one team's style over another in theory but that's not a fix.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

No it makes the game less officiated. Might benefit one team's style over another in theory but that's not a fix.

Hence "its a fix".
Hence "its a fix".

For whom?

It wouldn't be all that different than the yearly points of emphasis we hear about in regards to officiating and certain rules.
Share 49ersWebzone