There are 209 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
I don't know why the Yorks would be happy with not winning a ring after spending so much money.

I remember the start of the 2014 season and all the homers saying that those reports weren't true..........

This isn't baseball. There's a cap and a floor. The players are going to get their $$
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I don't know why the Yorks would be happy with not winning a ring after spending so much money.

I remember the start of the 2014 season and all the homers saying that those reports weren't true..........

Because consistently making the playoffs (which Shanahan easily delivers) makes you wayyyyyyyyy more money than any one SB win.

Think like an owner not a fan.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Because consistently making the playoffs (which Shanahan easily delivers) makes you wayyyyyyyyy more money than any one SB win.

Exactly. Literally every year every team spends $200m and 32 teams did it with no ring. Imagine how much extra $$ being a top team brought in for York's: merchandise, sold out games with people buying concessions/etc, extra $$ from home playoff games

People are just weird here..... I'll never understand it
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Exactly. Literally every year every team spends $200m and 32 teams did it with no ring. Imagine how much extra $$ being a top team brought in for York's: merchandise, sold out games with people buying concessions/etc, extra $$ from home playoff games

Shanahan and Lynch are in the coldest seats in the league.

Lifetime contracts.
Who else is up for a contract extension next year besides Purdy? Demo, Hufanga, anyone else?

Lifetime contracts.
some people just like to troll
Originally posted by Fresno49er:
Who else is up for a contract extension next year besides Purdy? Demo, Hufanga, anyone else?
McKivitz

This isn't baseball. There's a cap and a floor. The players are going to get their $$

Cap is $255.4 million.

What is the floor if people know? What's the minimum per team you have to spend?

Let's not forget that few franchises in the nfl generate as much revenue. Having a winning team also makes us one of the most watched teams every year.

the owners may b***h about how much they're shelling out in signing bonuses and restructures, cause that is money they have to pay up front and helps the salary cap in the future - but Kyle and John have made this franchise exponentially more profitable than they where in 2016.

I think this is all nonsense. Sure some folks may be upset but they'd be idiotic to change what's going on.

we have an amazing football team, especially in comparison to where it was when we started. We now have quite a few future hall of famers - had none when they took over.

OH and for the first time in decades, have a qb who might actually be the franchise guy and he's extremely marketable.

just nonsense. lol
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Cap is $255.4 million.

What is the floor if people know? What's the minimum per team you have to spend?

There is actually a salary floor as well as a salary cap. Teams do not have to spend all the allowed money, but they must spend at least 89% over a four-year timespan. The NFL as a whole must spend at least 95% of the cap. Any money that is not used in the allowed cap space can be rolled over to the next season.

Originally posted by tankle104:

Cap is $255.4 million.

There is actually a salary floor as well as a salary cap. Teams do not have to spend all the allowed money, but they must spend at least 89% over a four-year timespan. The NFL as a whole must spend at least 95% of the cap. Any money that is not used in the allowed cap space can be rolled over to the next season.

$255.4 (maximum) * 0.89 = $227.31 (minimum).

Does that make sense? But this over a 4 year time period. So do I understand correctly that some years you could be above or below that minimum? Just it has to hit that minimum average over a 4 year time frame? Which is different than 1 year. But that would be looking at it in 1 year.

So the owners can't be too cheap anyway. They are close to 90% required. You might as well just pay to keep a good team. You can't save much anyway.

Cap is $255.4 million.

Does that make sense? But this over a 4 year time period. So do I understand correctly that some years you could be above or below that minimum? Just it has to hit that minimum average over a 4 year time frame? Which is different than 1 year. But that would be looking at it in 1 year.

So the owners can't be too cheap anyway. They are close to 90% required. You might as well just pay to keep a good team. You can't save much anyway.

Yeah it's an average over a 4 year period.

for easy number sake. Let's say all four years the salary cap is $250M - that's $1000M (1 billion) - so the niners need to have spend at least $890M over a four year period total.

they could spend 91% of the cap two years and 87% of the cap 2 years - which would average out to 89% over the four year range.

Right, it prevents the owners from being cheap (like baseball team owners do). Right, it makes sense to field the best team possible annually cause you have to spend that money anyways.

I think if an owner is upset - it's probably over signing bonuses for players, which we've spent a lot. If we pay a player $100M signing bonus - that money is paid when the contract is signed but for salary cap purposes, it's prorated over several years (up to five years). So it's done to massage the cap numbers but the owners have to give that money out immediately to the player.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Sep 3, 2024 at 8:45 PM ]

Cap is $255.4 million.

Yeah it's an average over a 4 year period.

for easy number sake. Let's say all four years the salary cap is $250M - that's $1000M (1 billion) - so the niners need to have spend at least $890M over a four year period total.

they could spend 91% of the cap two years and 87% of the cap 2 years - which would average out to 89% over the four year range.

Right, it prevents the owners from being cheap (like baseball team owners do).

Ok that makes sense. Maybe not so bad to spend the money to be competitive than. Because you have to anyway. 89% or 95% or 100% is all pretty close. Obviously you need some leeway for future years so we will probably never tap out at 100%. But with the increases expected in 2025 and 2026 it looks like maybe we can keep Purdy and Lenoir. But we will probably lose some guys.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Lifetime contracts.

As long as they have a QB of Brock's caliber, they can both pretty much retire here and die of old age at 4949 Marie P. Debartolo Way.
Ok that makes sense. Maybe not so bad to spend the money to be competitive than. Because you have to anyway. 89% or 95% or 100% is all pretty close. Obviously you need some leeway for future years so we will probably never tap out at 100%. But with the increases expected in 2025 and 2026 it looks like maybe we can keep Purdy and Lenoir. But we will probably lose some guys.

I'm always blown away that fans of certain teams just sit back and have no issues with their owners doing nothing to improve the team or take a shot/spend. Why would you want a billionaire to pocket a few extra bucks vs perhaps have your team get into the playoffs and then anything could happen?
Share 49ersWebzone