LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 309 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KiwiM:
Originally posted by mitpdub:
lol this guy. There's no ethics in his journalism making so much 💩 up.

Whilst I'm no fan of Grant and his cronies I wouldn't completely dismiss this.

I could see there being built up frustration of getting so close but not getting over the hump.

Wasn't Jed's uncle Eddie notorious for being frustrated and nearly fired Walsh multiple times?

I remember a decade or so on here people were adamant that there was no rift between owners/harbaugh/baalke.

People were adamant the media were out to get the 49ers and just spreading rumours.

After an offseason and season fans finally started accepting that yes there was an issue and there would be a change. That yes there was a breakdown of the working relationship.

It will be interesting to hear if other insiders (national and 49ers) come out and deny it or what they say.

This is content filler for Cohn. I watched some of it and that was my impression.

In humoring this possibility, I would to love to hear Shanys replacement. Teams go decades looking for the right coach.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Typecast:

Cohn's a clown, but I think this could have legs. I know some people are like "the front office IS John Lynch", but he's really just the face of the football ops. When it comes to actual money, the front office is Paraag, who reports directly to the Yorks and is their guy. Having concerns over spending being pushed on the money people by the football people, it definitely falls in the realm of possibility. Paraag is the one that negotiates the contracts and manages the caps. He's had a knack of undervaluing players until deadlines approach, then caving. He could be upset about caving to players because the football ops are pressuring him to do so. He could also feel like the football ops aren't doing their job and moving on from guys. He conveys his feelings to ownership and ownership starts to notice how each of these restructures and extensions are messing up their cash-on-hand.

Ownership did hand Lynch and Shanahan a multi-year extension last year. Maybe the honeymoon period on that is over.

There is zero evidence that this is even the tiniest of issues. You are getting worried over a made up report.

From a very poor source.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:

Cohn's a clown, but I think this could have legs. I know some people are like "the front office IS John Lynch", but he's really just the face of the football ops. When it comes to actual money, the front office is Paraag, who reports directly to the Yorks and is their guy. Having concerns over spending being pushed on the money people by the football people, it definitely falls in the realm of possibility. Paraag is the one that negotiates the contracts and manages the caps. He's had a knack of undervaluing players until deadlines approach, then caving. He could be upset about caving to players because the football ops are pressuring him to do so. He could also feel like the football ops aren't doing their job and moving on from guys. He conveys his feelings to ownership and ownership starts to notice how each of these restructures and extensions are messing up their cash-on-hand.

Ownership did hand Lynch and Shanahan a multi-year extension last year. Maybe the honeymoon period on that is over.

There is zero evidence that this is even the tiniest of issues. You are getting worried over a made up report.

From a very poor source.

Grant Cohn is almost on the level as Nick Wright of people I cannot stand.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Lynch/Shanahan help Jed print cash. They are a massively cash rich franchise.

Jed hardly makes any more money even if they win a SB. Consistent home playoff games is what matters.

Stop thinking like a fan. SBs are only nice to have. Cash is essential.

Lynch/Shanahan are on the coldest seats in the NFL.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Anyway how are Shanahan and Lynch on the hotseat? IDGAF where Grant Cohn got his info, how he doesn't add things up and look at the big picture of what Shanahan and Lynch have done is why he shouldn't be reporting ANYTHING!!!

Built a solid roster with lots of key veterans
manages the salary cap year in and year out better than most of the teams in the NFL
Continuously in the playoffs and competing for a Championship.
Players WANT TO PLAY FOR SF and go there

Sure they fell short a couple times winning the Super Bowl, but so have the rest of the league. Any team and their fans would trade places with the 9ers in a heartbeat. In 5 seasons I haven't worried about the 9ers having a losing season.
Grant just puts articles out like this so when things do blow up down the road he can point to them and say "i told you so" if the 49ers struggle and then actually happens. If they don't struggle nobody will remember the dumb article and it'll be forgotten.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by English:

From a very poor source.

Grant Cohn is almost on the level as Nick Wright of people I cannot stand.

He tries to be Wright. But he is more often WRONG.

I'm sure a lot of owners are upset with the recent trend in player contracts but they brought it on themselves. Things are changing. Loyalty to a team is a thing of the past. It is all about "business." Players see billionaire owners and want their share...and they should. However, the result will be written in the future.

I don't buy the Cohn report but there is reason to be upset with how the BA and TW contracts went. That being said, I don't think there is much that Lynch could have done to change it. BA has a sharp agent who played the market well. He knew there would be a lot of top-end WRs getting new contracts so they waited it out in the hope of pushing the number to the very top. They got more than they would have had they signed early but not as much as BA was hoping. I believe Lynch played it about as well as he could given the market and BA's willingness to wait it out. It takes two to tango.
I haven't seen grant actually break anything or have legit "sources" ever. Said he spoke to someone in the FO 🤣 who the f**k do you think runs the FO? Lynch/Kyle. Like Jed is talking to Grant lol. Bunch of nonsense.

No one fires guys because they've built one of the best rosters in football and have to pay those players lol.

no one fires a HC/GM who they just gave massive extensions to less than a yr ago lol.

SF is one of the richest sports franchises in the world worth $6B.

Anyone thinks there's any truth to this needs a
Originally posted by miked1978:
Grant just puts articles out like this so when things do blow up down the road he can point to them and say "i told you so" if the 49ers struggle and then actually happens. If they don't struggle nobody will remember the dumb article and it'll be forgotten.

If they didn't give Trent an extension, he would have a b******t article about how they f**ked up not paying him.

his article have zero nuance or any actual journalism to them. I've read his good/not good preseason stuff because it's just a perspective on practices. Actual journalism/objective reporting? Worst one with credentials

Originally posted by dj43:
I'm sure a lot of owners are upset with the recent trend in player contracts but they brought it on themselves. Things are changing. Loyalty to a team is a thing of the past. It is all about "business." Players see billionaire owners and want their share...and they should. However, the result will be written in the future.

I don't buy the Cohn report but there is reason to be upset with how the BA and TW contracts went. That being said, I don't think there is much that Lynch could have done to change it. BA has a sharp agent who played the market well. He knew there would be a lot of top-end WRs getting new contracts so they waited it out in the hope of pushing the number to the very top. They got more than they would have had they signed early but not as much as BA was hoping. I believe Lynch played it about as well as he could given the market and BA's willingness to wait it out. It takes two to tango.

I'm with you here, it's the nature of the business.

With that said, I could also see the frustration of the front office. Trading away all those first rounders only to dump the player you traded for. Then having no contingency plan for TW, ultimately allowing him to back you in a corner where you have no choice but to hand him your check book. Same with B.A, everyone knew when the contract would end and did nothing to create leverage for the team outside of offering more cash via the 5th year option. Which didn't work.
We also got shook down by CMC before the start of the season. All of this without a trophy/ring to show for it.

The "there's always next season" vibe from ShanaLynch is probably wearing thin upstairs.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

With that said, I could also see the frustration of the front office. Trading away all those first rounders only to dump the player you traded for. Then having no contingency plan for TW, ultimately allowing him to back you in a corner where you have no choice but to hand him your check book. Same with B.A, everyone knew when the contract would end and did nothing to create leverage for the team outside of offering more cash via the 5th year option. Which didn't work.
We also got shook down by CMC before the start of the season. All of this without a trophy/ring to show for it.

The "there's always next season" vibe from ShanaLynch is probably wearing thin upstairs.

Who exactly is "frustrated"? Jed who's making more money than ever right now? Who else?

Trading away 1sts and STILL coming away with a FQB. Oh poor Jed and his $6B professional sports team. Getting Home field playoffs games every yr boo hooo.

Cry me a river, they have the best roster in football and have to pay those players accordingly.

It's hard to have a contingency plan in regards to replacing one of the best LTs to ever play the game. Like SF is gonna say yeah we're all set Trent…our late 1st rd rookie is gonna do just as well as you. Go ahead and hold out lol. GTFO. Trent's not even the highest paid LT all said and done. Dude just wanted GTD cash which he f**king deserves at this pt in his career. Acting like that didn't happen elsewhere this offseason is being naive. Guess McVay is an idiot too.

What are you even talking about with BA. They played hardball with him all off season. They offered him a deal like a month ago that he ended up taking. He never got more than he should have. He got what the market said he was worth. Forcing a guy to play out his deal just because isn't smart business. You think he's gonna make less the following yr? f**k no.

Acting like winning a SB is the only way you should pay some of the best players in football is f**king casual. That's not how it works and you know it.

you either have good players that you need to extend or you have dogs**t and have to overspend for lesser talent in FA. Either way that cash HAS to get spent.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Who exactly is "frustrated"? Jed who's making more money than ever right now? Who else?

Trading away 1sts and STILL coming away with a FQB. Oh poor Jed and his $6B professional sports team. Getting Home field playoffs games every yr boo hooo.

Cry me a river, they have the best roster in football and have to pay those players accordingly.

It's hard to have a contingency plan in regards to replacing one of the best LTs to ever play the game. Like SF is gonna say yeah we're all set Trent…our late 1st rd rookie is gonna do just as well as you. Go ahead and hold out lol. GTFO. Trent's not even the highest paid LT all said and done. Dude just wanted GTD cash which he f**king deserves at this pt in his career. Acting like that didn't happen elsewhere this offseason is being naive. Guess McVay is an idiot too.

What are you even talking about with BA. They played hardball with him all off season. They offered him a deal like a month ago that he ended up taking. He never got more than he should have. He got what the market said he was worth. Forcing a guy to play out his deal just because isn't smart business. You think he's gonna make less the following yr? f**k no.

Acting like winning a SB is the only way you should pay some of the best players in football is f**king casual. That's not how it works and you know it.

you either have good players that you need to extend or you have dogs**t and have to overspend for lesser talent in FA. Either way that cash HAS to get spent.

Thats not what KC did, they let a guy walk instead of doing what we did with Bosa, TW, and B.A. These guys won't be ready to go for a while if ever this season but they will be in the game. Once again I could see how the F/O would be upset.
Shocking the folks who are anti-Kyle are the ones that think there's any truth to this 🤡

ya'll are out your damn mind if you think Jed is "upset" with how this organization is setup vs how the rest of the league is doing.
Thats not what KC did, they let a guy walk instead of doing what we did with Bosa, TW, and B.A. These guys won't be ready to go for a while if ever this season but they will be in the game. Once again I could see how the F/O would be upset.

Yeah it's because they have the freaking GOAT at QB and have almost half a billion dollars set aside for him.

If you remember correctly KC tried to go after Trent Williams when he was gonna be a FA all the same. Instead they're paying a OG almost the same amount of cap space this yr as Trent….and who did they let "walk"? They traded players not let them go in FA. They sure as s**t didn't let Hill walk off his first contract in the league. They PAID him.

What you think BA/Trent have been eating Cheetos on the couch all off season. Trent like he always does has been working out in Houston all off season. Dude is always ready to play. He doesn't even practice during the season.

you bring up KC. How about Chris Jones and him holding out through almost half the damn season last yr…how'd that work out? They "caved" and gave him what he wanted and he came in and played elite level football all the same.

Only whiners would be complaining about this team. Every week they're projected to win. Every yr is SB or bust. Meanwhile 90% of the league is just hoping to go +.500 and be better than last yr
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 4, 2024 at 10:36 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone