LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 222 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Who gifted him Mahomes?

The then assistant GM (current GM Veach) had to pound the table for Mahomes to make it happen. Like I said the yr prior Reid said he wanted Lynch but Denver jumped ahead of them.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/05/patrick-mahomes-andy-reid-brett-veach-scouting-nfl-draft
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
If we win this year NYChief85 can say Kyle lucked into Purdy just the same. Circular logic etc.

Jed has been in a good place lately, but it's safe to say he had A LOT of growing pains to get there. I just hope he doesn't regress.

I dont think Kyle or John are in any danger of losing their jobs, but unlike these forums Jed can absolutely critique their mistakes and question their decisions, even if he's dumb as a rock.

I don't give a s**t. He totally lucked into Brock and Kyle himself said they didn't think he would be who they thought he's been. No different than Bill or Andy.

Jed's dealt with s**t teams and disfunction pretty much since he came here. No one is saying he can't question whatever…Dude isn't dumb enough to know who's buttering his bread and filling his pockets. You don't give massive extensions to Kyle/Lynch less than a yr ago. Go to a SB and then give Grant a report saying it's do or die haha.

folks can't be the gullible?
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 4, 2024 at 11:47 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Who gifted him Mahomes?

The then assistant GM (current GM Veach) had to pound the table for Mahomes to make it happen. Like I said the yr prior Reid said he wanted Lynch but Denver jumped ahead of them.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/05/patrick-mahomes-andy-reid-brett-veach-scouting-nfl-draft

So now you are talking about how it happened rather than what happened?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by okdkid:
You could say the same about Brady & Montana, their teams probably wouldn't have won it without them.

Owners don't care about a SB lol

They care about making money.

SBs are for fans to obsess over.

You can make a football case to get rid of some of the more higher paid 49ers (so they would have that to hide behind) and they would probably be making more money if they weren't paying these guys. Yet they keep resigning them to big contracts. Sounds like someone who controls the money likes the winning.

The annual money paid to top players is a drop in the bucket of the overall revenues of a team like the Niners.
So now you are talking about how it happened rather than what happened?

The process of how it happened doesn't matter now? Okay cool, SF got Brock regardless of how it happened and they're rocking and rolling.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 4, 2024 at 12:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
You could say the same about Brady & Montana, their teams probably wouldn't have won it without them.

Owners don't care about a SB lol

They care about making money.

SBs are for fans to obsess over.

You can make a football case to get rid of some of the more higher paid 49ers (so they would have that to hide behind) and they would probably be making more money if they weren't paying these guys. Yet they keep resigning them to big contracts. Sounds like someone who controls the money likes the winning.

The annual money paid to top players is a drop in the bucket of the overall revenues of a team like the Niners.

Also they have to pay players regardless. If they don't spend 89% of their cap over a 4 yr span, they're forced to pay the difference to players who were on its roster during those four years.

It's never happened before…because like you said paying players is a drop in the bucket vs all the revenues these owners make.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Also they have to pay players regardless. If they don't spend 89% of their cap over a 4 yr span, they're forced to pay the difference to players who were on its roster during those four years.

It's never happened before…because like you said paying players is a drop in the bucket vs all the revenues these owners make.

Owners generally do not prioritize a SB win. It's nice. They'd like to have it of course. But what they want above all is consistent success. That drives in more fans. That keeps fans buying and filling stadiums. And that insulates them from future down years - as younger fans grow into their income earning years. All of that drives valuation.

Lynch/Shanahan is a predictable ticket to the playoffs every year. That means money.

Their seats couldn't be more cold.
[ Edited by okdkid on Sep 4, 2024 at 12:44 PM ]
More Cohn 💩 I can see where maybe the "FO" guy whomever it is (once again, probably, just Jed's limo driver) might be upset with some of the up front money in the TW and BA contracts. Beyond that though get real. Lynch and Kyle are working for an owner who would have considered last season a success had the 9ers lost to Detroit. Jed just gave them extensions. Lynch's agent wasn't even present and they worked off of a handshake deal during Lynch's last contract negotiation. These people have good relationships. Read the room. Cohn is for content regardless of facts.

Cohn is a glorified troll just like his father before him. It doesn't take talent to do what they do. They feed off of the game and it's players while giving zero back. Don't sweat that fool. I'm sure he said Aiyuk would be traded and Trent was going to miss games. I'm sure he said it with conviction. Now he's just on to the next negative story that can buy him some heat and clicks. I'm sure Cohn isn't above embelishing a fact here or an opinion there.
I hate that that click bait artist gets people talking so much. Do you really think Jed is upset at having too many top players on the roster to sign? Lynch and Shanahan have done such a good job building this roster from nothing to where we have too many top players to resign and you think Jed is mad about that? I'm pretty sure that's a problem 95% of owners wish they had
Originally posted by Bigchris85:
I hate that that click bait artist gets people talking so much. Do you really think Jed is upset at having too many top players on the roster to sign? Lynch and Shanahan have done such a good job building this roster from nothing to where we have too many top players to resign and you think Jed is mad about that? I'm pretty sure that's a problem 95% of owners wish they had

No I think he's mad because of how it happened.

F/O could be mad at this missed draft pick as well.

Not all rainbows and Unicorns when you don't win a super bowl.

Acting like if you don't win a SB you can't pay players or the team is a failure is the problem I have with your very subject take.

every single team misses draft picks… the FACT that SF is paying a ton of players (most of which are home grown) directly disproves your take there.

also who the hell is the "FO" if you're gonna say ownership then say ownership. The FO is lynch and Kyle. The only dudes they answer too is ownership. Jed can't complain about money when he's the one who's signing off on the deal lolz. Let's stop pretending Grant has a f**king clue about anything. Dude has never broke a story in his life.

Nobody is saying it's either SB or don't pay players. They are saying there is an expectation when it comes to spending this money. It's time for Lynch and Shanahan to deliver.
The "FO" is Lynch, Kyle, and Paraag. Paraag does the cap management and contracts. Paraag has a history of not wanting to pay players the market rate and dragging out negotiations before ultimately caving. Kyle and Lynch are kind of enabling players to do this. Kyle's system isn't exactly flexible or resilient, requiring expensive talent just for it to function. Lynch hasn't exactly been hitting his draft picks early or finding cheaper solutions through trades/free agency, which has allowed players to max out their value because the 49ers really have no alternative path forward. Paraag is the York's guy too. He has their ear and tells them his frustrations with the spending. The York's also are constantly needing to fork over large sums of cash to pay for the extension/restructure bonuses, frustrating them further.
Jed's dealt with s**t teams and disfunction pretty much since he came here. No one is saying he can't question whatever…Dude isn't dumb enough to know who's buttering his bread and filling his pockets. You don't give massive extensions to Kyle/Lynch less than a yr ago. Go to a SB and then give Grant a report saying it's do or die haha.

folks can't be the gullible?

Jed gets a lot from his uncle and gets advised by him to this day. That was the guy that forced out George Seifert (was given the courtesy of a resignation). Lynch and Shanahan simply are not immune to expectations from ownership.

I think it's gullible to believe billionaires are going to completely change who they are after one mistake. Given what transpired between Harbaugh and Jed, Jed may not even think it was a mistake to fire Harbaugh. When he spoke about it around the hiring of Lynch/Shanahan, he wasn't regretful for firing Harbaugh. He was regretful for letting the situation devolve to the point he had to do it. He was regretful for the lack of success of the team after he was fired.

He knows exactly who is buttering his bread and filling his pockets. The NFL media rights deal and revenue sharing... The 49ers could stop chasing after Super Bowls, revert to minimum league spending, and they'd make plenty of money. They already got a stadium out of the Harbaugh run. They are set for the near future if they wanted to do that. Obviously, profits isn't the only motivation. They want prestige.
[ Edited by Typecast on Sep 4, 2024 at 1:33 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
It does not matter if Lynch hits draft picks early. It only matters that he finds controllable A-caliber talent.

He has — time and time again.

This dude has built the consensus best roster in the NFL and some people are like "yeah but like do you remember 2022 tho??"
[ Edited by okdkid on Sep 4, 2024 at 2:11 PM ]

Owners generally do not prioritize a SB win. It's nice. They'd like to have it of course. But what they want above all is consistent success. That drives in more fans. That keeps fans buying and filling stadiums. And that insulates them from future down years - as younger fans grow into their income earning years. All of that drives valuation.

Lynch/Shanahan is a predictable ticket to the playoffs every year. That means money.

Their seats couldn't be more cold.

I agree. They have not won the SB but they sure are consistent winners and that is what will keep them in their jobs. Its content filler for Cohn. Nothing to talk about with the two signing and no games as of yet.
It does not matter if Lynch hits draft picks early. It only matters that he finds controllable A-caliber talent.

He has — time and time again.

This dude has built the consensus best roster in the NFL and some people are like "yeah but like do you remember 2022 tho??"

Drafts are like baseball. If you are batting .300 you are doing pretty good.
Originally posted by Typecast:
Nobody is saying it's either SB or don't pay players. They are saying there is an expectation when it comes to spending this money. It's time for Lynch and Shanahan to deliver.

To me that's simply a naive point of view. All a front office and coach can do is field the best team and call the best plays and hope that advantage is enough. How the ball bounces after that is up to the players in the moment, and fate. Dan Bunz misses that tackle and Walsh is perhaps 0-1 after his first Super Bowl. Montana got lucky to have a defender drop an INT that would have ended SB 23. If Burford doesn't go rogue maybe Purdy has enough time to throw a TD.

Point is, once you're a talented, competitive and well coached team it's largely out of anyone's control to deliver that last little bit. Too many people are involved with too many variables for one person at HC to really change things at that stage.

The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.
Share 49ersWebzone