LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 112 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Extremely glad this team has Lynch - from the past, present, and helping lead the charge going forward!

I sure was one pissed off fan when he made the trade and took Trey Lance. Thank god for Brock Purdy!!

I loved the Trey pick, at the time, didn't want Mac Jones, I liked Justin Fields, but went F*ck year when Lance was the pick, wish we never did it, but the way I look at it is, without those 3 1st rd picks, if they all turned out good, would be in line for extensions, can't see how we keep those 3 potential pro bowl/all-pro like players plus what we have now, so I'm ok, especially with Brock picked 262nd in 2022.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Extremely glad this team has Lynch - from the past, present, and helping lead the charge going forward!

I sure was one pissed off fan when he made the trade and took Trey Lance. Thank god for Brock Purdy!!

I loved the Trey pick, at the time, didn't want Mac Jones, I liked Justin Fields, but went F*ck year when Lance was the pick, wish we never did it, but the way I look at it is, without those 3 1st rd picks, if they all turned out good, would be in line for extensions, can't see how we keep those 3 potential pro bowl/all-pro like players plus what we have now, so I'm ok, especially with Brock picked 262nd in 2022.

That is a pretty pragmatic take on it, I posted something similar and got laughed at....but the salary difference between the picks and lance...made CMC possible. I posted it, but I forget the math...the salary of the picks (lance and CMC) and trading the other RB was like 6-8m or a large chunk of what CMC cost.

So yeah condensing draft picks, is a salary cap move...out right..... but on top of that....yeah anything other then meh players....you ain't keeping them....the only argument that could be made is could they have pushed the 49ers over the edge to win super bowls....and that is a legit possibility.

Of course...none of this deep playoff success is happening with out QB, they rolled the dice on a QB, we very well could have ended up with no Purdy by taking some other QB with the now non-spent draft capital.

So it is what it is.....

I personally can't believe that the Trey Lance thing did not end the front off and Coach, I can't think of a mortgaged future going sooo badly....and the Coaching staff and front office be so damn good at collecting talent that...some how....everything worked out.

Watch a couple of decades of football religiously, and you can start to place things in a historical context....I was too young in the 80s to realize you NEVER push a coach like Walsh out the door, I was too spoiled by the Dynasty years to realize...running Mooch out the door was a really bad idea. I was hip when crap went down with Harbaugh....the team needed to find a way for that to work if they could.....Now with Shanny....come on man....this dude is hella special. You don't keep plugging in different QBs and keep being a threat in the post season....that is NOT how the NFL works....that is extra ordinary.

As far as John Lynch goes....whatever he is doing is working, they keep accumulating talent, they keep nailing draft choices...they keep getting post season runs...no team is perfect, and at the end of the day what happens on Sundays late in the fall and start of winter is what matters.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

That is a pretty pragmatic take on it, I posted something similar and got laughed at....but the salary difference between the picks and lance...made CMC possible. I posted it, but I forget the math...the salary of the picks (lance and CMC) and trading the other RB was like 6-8m or a large chunk of what CMC cost.

So yeah condensing draft picks, is a salary cap move...out right..... but on top of that....yeah anything other then meh players....you ain't keeping them....the only argument that could be made is could they have pushed the 49ers over the edge to win super bowls....and that is a legit possibility.

Of course...none of this deep playoff success is happening with out QB, they rolled the dice on a QB, we very well could have ended up with no Purdy by taking some other QB with the now non-spent draft capital.

So it is what it is.....

I personally can't believe that the Trey Lance thing did not end the front off and Coach, I can't think of a mortgaged future going sooo badly....and the Coaching staff and front office be so damn good at collecting talent that...some how....everything worked out.

Watch a couple of decades of football religiously, and you can start to place things in a historical context....I was too young in the 80s to realize you NEVER push a coach like Walsh out the door, I was too spoiled by the Dynasty years to realize...running Mooch out the door was a really bad idea. I was hip when crap went down with Harbaugh....the team needed to find a way for that to work if they could.....Now with Shanny....come on man....this dude is hella special. You don't keep plugging in different QBs and keep being a threat in the post season....that is NOT how the NFL works....that is extra ordinary.

As far as John Lynch goes....whatever he is doing is working, they keep accumulating talent, they keep nailing draft choices...they keep getting post season runs...no team is perfect, and at the end of the day what happens on Sundays late in the fall and start of winter is what matters.

SAD to say tho... Lynch is 0-2 in the Super Bowl because of his HC..

but this year, I'm hoping that Lynch make a trade for a legit RT... we need one BADLY..
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by 9moon:

but this year, I'm hoping that Lynch make a trade for a legit RT... we need one BADLY..

Bahahahaha! Without Shanny, they definitely wouldn't be 0-2 in the SB. They'd be 0-0.
Originally posted by Cosmo:

Bahahahaha! Without Shanny, they definitely wouldn't be 0-2 in the SB. They'd be 0-0.

so still no championship?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cosmo:

Agree 💯 %❗️
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Typecast:
Nobody is saying it's either SB or don't pay players. They are saying there is an expectation when it comes to spending this money. It's time for Lynch and Shanahan to deliver.

To me that's simply a naive point of view. All a front office and coach can do is field the best team and call the best plays and hope that advantage is enough. How the ball bounces after that is up to the players in the moment, and fate. Dan Bunz misses that tackle and Walsh is perhaps 0-1 after his first Super Bowl. Montana got lucky to have a defender drop an INT that would have ended SB 23. If Burford doesn't go rogue maybe Purdy has enough time to throw a TD.

Point is, once you're a talented, competitive and well coached team it's largely out of anyone's control to deliver that last little bit. Too many people are involved with too many variables for one person at HC to really change things at that stage.

The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

Totally agree. To add to your point, if horsecollar was a thing or if Drew Pearson was able to get away from Eric Wright's tackle in the 81 NFCCG, we don't even make it to the Super Bowl. You add in the 3- 6 year afterwards and an argument can be made to fire Walsh. Such small differences here and there to separate winning and losing. It's so hard to consistently win in this league and to me there isn't enough respect for that feat with the Super Bowl or bust mindset.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Johnny Boy also needs to be held accountable. These are our last three draft classes:

Ji'Ayir Brown | Round 3, Pick 87
S, Penn State
Jake Moody | Round 3, Pick 99
K, Michigan
Cameron Latu | Round 3, Pick 101
TE, Alabama
Darrell Luter Jr. | Round 5, Pick 155
CB, South Alabama
Robert Beal | Round 5, Pick 173
EDGE, Georgia
Dee Winters | Round 6, Pick 216
LB, TCU
Brayden Willis | Round 7, Pick 247
TE/FB, Oklahoma
Ronnie Bell | Round 7, Pick 253
WR, Michigan
Jalen Graham | Round 7, Pick 255
LB, Purdue

Drake Jackson | Round 2, Pick 61
OLB, USC
Tyrion Davis-Price | Round 3, Pick 93
RB, LSU
Danny Gray | Round 3, Pick 105
WR, SMU
Spencer Burford | Round 4, Pick 134
OL, UTSA
Samuel Womack | Round 5, Pick 172
CB, Toledo
Nick Zakelj | Round 6, Pick 187
OL, Fordham
Kalia Davis | Round 6, Pick 220
DT, UCF
Tariq Castro-Fields | Round 6, Pick 221
CB, Penn State
Brock Purdy | Round 7, Pick 262
QB, Iowa State

Trey Lance | Round 1, Pick 3
QB, North Dakota State

Aside from Brock (who they lucked into), Lynch's draft picks have been awful.
Got to override Kyle. Cowing > Bell.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
He better be walking down and getting on to this defense and light a fire under them or he may be looking around for another job.

He's been terrible and if he won't have the balls to draft positions of need when Kyle says no, he needs to find a new job.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Sep 22, 2024 at 6:27 PM ]
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Koldo:
Johnny Boy also needs to be held accountable. These are our last three draft classes:

Ji'Ayir Brown | Round 3, Pick 87
S, Penn State
Jake Moody | Round 3, Pick 99
K, Michigan
Cameron Latu | Round 3, Pick 101
TE, Alabama
Darrell Luter Jr. | Round 5, Pick 155
CB, South Alabama
Robert Beal | Round 5, Pick 173
EDGE, Georgia
Dee Winters | Round 6, Pick 216
LB, TCU
Brayden Willis | Round 7, Pick 247
TE/FB, Oklahoma
Ronnie Bell | Round 7, Pick 253
WR, Michigan
Jalen Graham | Round 7, Pick 255
LB, Purdue

Drake Jackson | Round 2, Pick 61
OLB, USC
Tyrion Davis-Price | Round 3, Pick 93
RB, LSU
Danny Gray | Round 3, Pick 105
WR, SMU
Spencer Burford | Round 4, Pick 134
OL, UTSA
Samuel Womack | Round 5, Pick 172
CB, Toledo
Nick Zakelj | Round 6, Pick 187
OL, Fordham
Kalia Davis | Round 6, Pick 220
DT, UCF
Tariq Castro-Fields | Round 6, Pick 221
CB, Penn State
Brock Purdy | Round 7, Pick 262
QB, Iowa State

Trey Lance | Round 1, Pick 3
QB, North Dakota State

Aside from Brock (who they lucked into), Lynch's draft picks have been awful.

Holy s**t, we hit on 1 out of 18 picks in 2022 and 2023. We are doomed.
Originally posted by jreff22:
He's been terrible and if he won't have the balls to draft positions of need when Kyle says no, he needs to find a new job.

Lol at anyone still thinking John Lynch makes picks in lieu of Kyle who hired him
Kyle literally runs every aspect of this team but somehow Lynch is at fault on the draft picks.
Maybe we be the one selling near the trade deadline
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Lol at anyone still thinking John Lynch makes picks in lieu of Kyle who hired him
Kyle literally runs every aspect of this team but somehow Lynch is at fault on the draft picks.

Then he has 0 use and can be fired.
Share 49ersWebzone