LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 156 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I never said tank good lord! I said play the young players like CJ, if we suck fine get a QB with that top pick...if we don't suck it means we might have something with him. Going 7-9 or 8-8 with hoyer does little with improving the team for the future imo....he's not the future or a LT plan. I don't want to be like the Jets who had one good season with Fitz, only to become garbage with no QB.

People that think we can just grab a QB later need to be realistic...Dak is a fine QB that has a playoff caliber team around him, we're not even remotely close to that. This draft is shaking up to be one of the best QB classes since 2004, I want to be part of that! If we get Kirk great we got a f**king valuable trading piece that could set us up for yrs, if we don't get Kirk then we get a chance at getting the next Eli, Big Ben, or rivers.

That's is much much much more important that winning 7 games with Brian hoyer

Football teams don't tank it's the NFL, you can play your young players more though. I don't want to be a mediocre football team for the next 6 yrs because we're just good enough to not have a chance at a top end QB (Bills say hi).

My point wasn't to slight you, just an observation that it's difficult to predict how you get a FQB. You have the top draft pick 10 years in a row and not find a FQB, or you could find a very good QBC who can develop one. So I love the fact that the niners finally hired a quality QB evaluator and coach. Any QB playing for Shanahan will be better than a guy playing for Tomsula. Not sure what to think of Kelly regarding QBs...he had some good results and then again...
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 20, 2017 at 12:43 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
My point wasn't to slight you, just an observation that it's difficult to predict how you get a FQB. You have the top draft pick 10 years in a row and not find a FQB, or you could find a very good QBC who can develop one. So I love the fact that the niners finally hired a quality QB evaluator and coach. Any QB playing for Shanahan will be better than a guy playing for Tomsula. Not sure what to think of Kelly regarding QBs...he had some good results and then again...

I'd rather have both...a guy who can develop a QB and also have a chance at getting the most talent QB

Imo this isn't gonna be a typical QB draft...the top three guys are all top-end talents and if all three continue to progress, you could easily be looking at the next Eli/Rivers/Big Ben
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 20, 2017 at 12:58 PM ]
I'd rather have both...a guy who can develop a QB and also have a chance at getting the most talent QB

Imo this isn't gonna be a typical QB draft...the top three guys are all top-end talents and if all three continue to progress, you could easily be looking at the next Eli/Rivers/Big Ben

Of course! But remember...Walsh found Montana in the 3rd but fell in love with Young's talent, who would have been a top pick in either league at the time. Walsh helped turn them both into SB winners...but I believe he could have done that for many QBs, not just those two.

What if we got Kirk, then we wouldn't need one of those qb prospects. Maybe even snag Luke Falk if he falls to the third. (I Loved Falks play last year.)

Or they could all be huge flops. Darnold came on and had a terrific season but its not like we haven't seen that from past USC QB's who blew up early and then mostly went on to do nothing in the NFL. Allen struggled against weak competition and has inconsistent accuracy at best accuracy, he is being hyped up for his physical tools and his ability to fling the football but that is also how teams wound up with Jake Locker, JaMarcus Russell and Kyle Boller. He threw 5 picks against the only good opponent he faced all year. Rosen was so so his sophomore year and has concerns regarding an injury to his throwing shoulder which required surgery. Not a single one of these guys appears to be a gimme the way Luck was, or even the way Winston or Mariota were. They've all got a lot to prove this season.

II think it is too early to say that this is going to be some sort of special QB draft when every single one of them is really an unknown quantity.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jun 20, 2017 at 2:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Or they could all be huge flops. Darnold came on and had a terrific season but its not like we haven't seen that from past USC QB's who blew up early and then mostly went on to do nothing in the NFL. Allen struggled against weak competition and has inconsistent accuracy at best accuracy, he is being hyped up for his physical tools and his ability to fling the football but that is also how teams wound up with Jake Locker, JaMarcus Russell and Kyle Boller. He threw 5 picks against the only good opponent he faced all year. Rosen was so so his sophomore year and has concerns regarding an injury to his throwing shoulder which required surgery. Not a single one of these guys appears to be a gimme the way Luck was, or even the way Winston or Mariota were. They've all got a lot to prove this season.

II think it is too early to say that this is going to be some sort of special QB draft when every single one of them is really an unknown quantity.

I have no idea why people are all on Darnold's jock already. Just look at the history of USC QBs drafted.....lol. I know history is meaningless when judging prospects, but you can't tell me there isn't going to be a huge concern there in the back of your mind.

I will wait until I see more tape before making judgement calls.

maybe it doesn't matter if we can land Kirk in FA though.
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Jun 20, 2017 at 2:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

I have no idea why people are all on Darnold's jock already. Just look at the history of USC QBs drafted.....lol. I know history is meaningless when judging prospects, but you can't tell me there isn't going to be a huge concern there in the back of your mind.

I will wait until I see more tape before making judgement calls.

maybe it doesn't matter if we can land Kirk in FA though.

Darnold has a poise and skills that are very rare. I look forward to seeing his transition to the NFL...might break the USC curse!
Jets are gonna get Darnold anyways
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Jets are gonna get Darnold anyways

Whoever the top QB will be, the Jets have the inside track to drafting that person. They look absolutely awful.
Whoever the top QB will be, the Jets have the inside track to drafting that person. They look absolutely awful.

Definitely . Were bad last year and got a lot worse. Then they're in a real tough division , plus gotta play the AFC west, and NFC south . It's gonna be a brutal season for their fans

We are only gonna get the shot at the 3rd or 4th best QB in the draft unless we go for kirk cousins and draft for need.

Your right let's just keep hoyer lol
We have $62 million to spend. We can get a better QB, Trust ME
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
We have $62 million to spend. We can get a better QB, Trust ME

Who's a viable FA at QB next yr...not named Kirk or jimmy G
Hoping that if we cant land Cousins in FA, we draft Falk and let him sit for a year.
Share 49ersWebzone