LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 157 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

We will spend $20 million on some QB in the free agency next year. I just hope it is worth it.
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
We will spend $20 million on some QB in the free agency next year. I just hope it is worth it.

On who?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2018/quarterback/
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Why morage the future if you don't have to? Who cares about winning 6-8 games? I don't. I want to win 10+ games for the foreseeable future. Also you can bring up past qbs drafted that doesn't mean they're even close to as talent as these three guys coming out. I've seen plenty of comparisons with Sam to luck/rivers, Rosen to Ryan/Eli, and Allen to flacco/Big Ben. It's not a normal QB draft class next yr...that's the whole pt.

The NFL has made the QB the main position and without one you don't have a SB team...I mean if you want to constantly get 8 or so wins that's cool, I don't. Also you bring up mortgaging the future for a QB and then talking about building the whole which makes little sense to me (tough to do that when you give up all your picks for a QB)....why not play your your young players, see if CJ is the future and if not you got a top end pick to possibly get the future?

It's a process and I feel like some fans are trying to skip steps because it happened once to us with harbs...we aren't even remotely close to that team and we actually won 6 games the yr prior, not 2.

I just happen to think that football is a team game and while the QB is a central component to a football team, I think defense and wide receivers and a good running game also affect whether a QB is a successful franchise QB or not. Because *so what* if you have a John Elway or Andrew Luck but your team can't run the ball to convert a 3rd down? So what if you have a Dan Marino, but his O Line leaks like a sieve.

A franchise QB starts with coaching. I don't think it starts with the franchise player. You look at the Dynasties of the past, and the franchise QB's that have populated those dynasties, it starts with good coaching - and good coaches are good because they have a good system. We really don't know yet if ShanaLynch is a good coach, he will be if he gets his FQB. Harbaugh is gone because he never got that FQB - close with Alex, and ran out of time with Colin, but I agree - a franchise QB is worth a lot of high draft picks. They are essential to consistent winning seasons, year in and year out. Maybe they are even worth mortgaging two years worth of draft picks, I don't know, but I'll leave it to ShanaLynch and our resident draft nerds to figure that out. God knows our 2012 draft was equivalent to basically trading the whole draft for nothing.

I think it's still a valid and important fact that two of the top three QB's with multiple super bowl wins were *not* drafted in the first round. That's OK that you don't happen to think that's an important fact. I just happen to think that with the WCO system and the type of players Kyle wants in his version of the WCO, I think that he can find his FQB in the later rounds. Just my opinion, don't shoot me. You know what they say about opinions? They are like arm pits, everybody has 'em and they all stink.
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:

On who?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2018/quarterback/

Im not saying we will spend the money smartly. I am just saying the pressure will be on.

Personally I hope we keep building from the draft.
Who's a viable FA at QB next yr...not named Kirk or jimmy G

Why does it have to be a qb not named Kirk or Jimmy ? Did you lose all hope for getting them or something ??
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

Why does it have to be a qb not named Kirk or Jimmy ? Did you lose all hope for getting them or something ??

Because you have to be realistic...top end QBs dont pop out in FA they just don't man. I've been on the Kirk bandwagon and hope he's the guy but to just assume he will be there is silly, same with jimmy G and it's not like we're the only team that needs a QB.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I just happen to think that football is a team game and while the QB is a central component to a football team, I think defense and wide receivers and a good running game also affect whether a QB is a successful franchise QB or not. Because *so what* if you have a John Elway or Andrew Luck but your team can't run the ball to convert a 3rd down? So what if you have a Dan Marino, but his O Line leaks like a sieve.

A franchise QB starts with coaching. I don't think it starts with the franchise player. You look at the Dynasties of the past, and the franchise QB's that have populated those dynasties, it starts with good coaching - and good coaches are good because they have a good system. We really don't know yet if ShanaLynch is a good coach, he will be if he gets his FQB. Harbaugh is gone because he never got that FQB - close with Alex, and ran out of time with Colin, but I agree - a franchise QB is worth a lot of high draft picks. They are essential to consistent winning seasons, year in and year out. Maybe they are even worth mortgaging two years worth of draft picks, I don't know, but I'll leave it to ShanaLynch and our resident draft nerds to figure that out. God knows our 2012 draft was equivalent to basically trading the whole draft for nothing.

I think it's still a valid and important fact that two of the top three QB's with multiple super bowl wins were *not* drafted in the first round. That's OK that you don't happen to think that's an important fact. I just happen to think that with the WCO system and the type of players Kyle wants in his version of the WCO, I think that he can find his FQB in the later rounds. Just my opinion, don't shoot me. You know what they say about opinions? They are like arm pits, everybody has 'em and they all stink.

Brady and Montana are the exception not the norm with mid rd qbs and you know that. the idea that we will stumble upon one because of kyle is silly...The NFL is full of great offensive minds and stud evaluators....and if Kyle is the QB guru, he already got his guy in CJ...why not let him play this yr like I said? If he fails then we will be in a position to get the BEST QB prospect AND not have to burn picks for one cause John and Kyle have made it perfectly clear that a FQB is the MOST important thing in building a team.

Also we'd have all our picks and a s**t ton of money to build the rest of the team like you want....how does that not make sense?

You don't have to agree with my thoughts on being completely fine with doubling our win total and at least looking competitive on Sundays, which in turn helps us in the future....but kyle has even stated
"You never want to compete in one year at the expense of your future" and I share that same sentiment

Because you have to be realistic...top end QBs dont pop out in FA they just don't man. I've been on the Kirk bandwagon and hope he's the guy but to just assume he will be there is silly, same with jimmy G and it's not like we're the only team that needs a QB.

You're talking about hoping we have a poor season so we could maybe get a top pick to maybe get a top qb in the draft who you're assuming will turn out to be a solid starter . That's a hell of a lot more assumptions than hoping we land Kirk or jimmy g who both are in unique situations.
You're talking about hoping we have a poor season so we could maybe get a top pick to maybe get a top qb in the draft who you're assuming will turn out to be a solid starter . That's a hell of a lot more assumptions than hoping we land Kirk or jimmy g who both are in unique situations.

No I'm saying play your rookies and see what you have rather than hope to win 6 games miss out on a top end QB and pray that Kirk comes here.

Also not sure how a poor season doesn't equal a top end pick? It's the NFL not the NBA. I'd rather have options then pray a QB falls in our laps.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 20, 2017 at 7:36 PM ]

Jimmy g is gonna get paid so unless the pats franchise or sign him (with or without Brady next year??) He's going to another team. Would the pats sign him to a big contract or tag while keeping Brady or forcing him out? Its hard to see.

Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Jimmy g is gonna get paid so unless the pats franchise or sign him (with or without Brady next year??) He's going to another team. Would the pats sign him to a big contract or tag while keeping Brady or forcing him out? Its hard to see.

At this pt I don't see how they let him leave next yr....this off season was the season to get the most value for him and they didn't even sniff a trade (even 1st rd picks and then some reportly) Adam schefter even stated don't hold your breath on jimmy g being anywhere outside of NE. Just proof to how important the QB position is. I'd rather have a ton of options then getting into bidding wars for one guy.
At this pt I don't see how they let him leave next yr....this off season was the season to get the most value for him and they didn't even sniff a trade (even 1st rd picks and then some reportly) Adam schefter even stated don't hold your breath on jimmy g being anywhere outside of NE. Just proof to how important the QB position is. I'd rather have a ton of options then getting into bidding wars for one guy.

I just can't see Jimmy there long term. He's said recently that he wants to play and start, just seems to competitive to agree to an extension with NE knowing Brady is there for at least 3 more seasons.
Originally posted by illinois9er:
I just can't see Jimmy there long term. He's said recently that he wants to play and start, just seems to competitive to agree to an extension with NE knowing Brady is there for at least 3 more seasons.

That's the thing they don't know if he will be there 3 more yrs...they could tag JG or give him a contract that works. Brady could be gone after 2018 (only $7 million in dead money to cut) you'd basically be paying a lot for both qbs for one season or just give jimmy G a good signing bonus which doesn't affect the cap space in 2018 a ton.

I don't see NE just letting him leave for nothing. This was the perfect off season to get top dollar for him and the poo pooed any trade offer. They won't get anything more than what they would have this off season imo.
Originally posted by illinois9er:

That's the thing they don't know if he will be there 3 more yrs...they could tag JG or give him a contract that works. Brady could be gone after 2018 (only $7 million in dead money to cut) you'd basically be paying a lot for both qbs for one season or just give jimmy G a good signing bonus which doesn't affect the cap space in 2018 a ton.

I don't see NE just letting him leave for nothing. This was the perfect off season to get top dollar for him and the poo pooed any trade offer. They won't get anything more than what they would have this off season imo.

Agreed. Also tells you how they feel about Brady. They will ride him as long as possible, but at his age, a big hit or father time will affect his on field ability at some point and it could come out of nowhere. Jimmy knows the system etc. Brady goes down this year they will still contend etc.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Agreed. Also tells you how they feel about Brady. They will ride him as long as possible, but at his age, a big hit or father time will affect his on field ability at some point and it could come out of nowhere. Jimmy knows the system etc. Brady goes down this year they will still contend etc.

Yup, I banged the table this off season that they would trade him cause this was the apex for his trade market ...NE didn't budge, I don't see how they just let him go now for much less now.

I'm still holding out hope that Kirk makes it to SF, but that's not even close to a done deal....then what? You got three very good prospects that if they continue to improve will be top 5 picks. Winning 7-8 games doesn't get us to that. THATS why I'd prefer to get the young guns snaps namely CJ at some pt this yr. we lose who cares, we aren't close to a playoff team right now. At least we'll have some sort of idea of what we got.

Like I keep quoting from kyle "You never want to compete in one year at the expense of your future." I believe in that mentality.
Share 49ersWebzone