LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 195 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I am not sure what this means. If Cousins is available the 49ers will know that before the draft as free agency starts in March.

Or are you under the assumption that they will tank the season believing that Cousins won't be available? In which case I assure you that isn't going to happen. Shanahan isn't going to f**k himself over in future years by putting in players that will harm team cohesiveness and screw up full install of offensive and defensive schemes all for a possible chance at a prospect that has less than a 50% shot of being anything worthwhile.

I think Shanahan is going to approach it with the same mindset as guys like his dad and Holmgren. "Getting a QB in the 1st is nice but I can find a guy later on too." He'll throw his cards down on the table and try to win as many games as possible.

If that puts them out of range of some QB prospects, so be it. With Lynch and Shanahan so focused on building a winning culture, I don't see either embracing a loser mentality, even if the genetically engineered lovechild of Joe Montana and San Marino happens to be in the draft.

Ugh, what I've been saying is seemly getting blown out of proportion. I'm basically piggybacking off what kyle stated the other day "You never want to compete in one year at the expense of your future"

Imo this upcoming season is somewhat of a throwaway season...we're installing a whole new FO and coaching staff, along with revamping the squad which is full of very very young players. What I've been saying is I'm gonna be more than happy if we double our win total from next yr, look competitive, along with improving our ranks on defense/offense (which shouldn't be hard). IMHO winning 7-8 games doesn't really do much and doesn't help us in our chances of possibley obtaining the player we might NEED.

I'd rather play more of the younger guys, mainly CJ at some pt vs hoyer to see if there's anything there. IF we lose who cares, it helps us obtain the highest pick possible which helps kyle get whomever he wants...if we get Kirk, that's even better. We can hold that top end pick for ransom and get a hefty trade which in turn could help this team in the long-term (example the titans).

I'm just looking long-term...I don't want some 9 win season with hoyer which imo isn't who we will be for the future, perfect example is the Jets with Fitz in 2015.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The point is that if they can get Cousins, then get Cousins. I'm not counting on any draft being "special" for QBs when we see how often these guys fall flat on their faces.

If Allen again barely completes 56% of his passes and struggles against any halfway decent competition are you going to be psyched about the 49ers using a Top 10 pick on a 100% project?

The next draft is one injury and one guy staying in school from being utterly mediocre when it comes to quarterbacks.

And Kirk is one injury or a LT contract away from never coming here...if kyle sees Allan as a good QB prospect I have faith in that pick. I'm also more inclined to take Rosen or Darold.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Tom Brady - winner of Super Bowl 51, 49, 39,38, 36: 6th round, pick 199
Peyton Manning - winner of Super Bowl 50,41: 1st round, pick 1
Russel Wilson - Winner of Super Bowl 48: 3rd round, pick 75
Joe Flacco - winner of super bowl 47: 1st round, pick 18
Eli Manning - winner of super bowl 46, 41: 1st round, pick 1
Aaron Rogers - winner of super bowl 45:1st round, pick 24
Drew Brees - winner of super bowl 44: 2nd round, pick 32
Ben Roethlisberger - winner of super bowl 43,40: 1st round, pick 11
Brad Johnson - winner of super bowl 37: 9th round, pick 227 (equivalent to being undrafted free agent today)
Trent Dilfer - winner of super bowl 35: 1st round, pick 6

So out of the 10 guys that have won the most recent super bowls, only 30% were picked in the first round and at the 6th pick position or higher, the rest of them (70%) were picked at the 11 pick positon or even later/lower. My point is that I think there is *more* chances we are able to pick a franchise QB - outside of the top 10 picks than you realize. If we go 8-8 and have some extra draft picks, I think we draft somewhere in the middle of round 1 and we can move up a couple of spots. That gives us ample opportunity (70 %) to acquire a FQB. I think 8-8 is very optimistic. Realistically I think we fall somewhere in the 6-10 category. If we manage to win 10 games and fall out of the middle part of the 1st round it falls to 60%. But at 10 wins - we are playoff probable. Anything can happen when you make the playoffs. 1967, packers win super bowl with a 9-4 record. And more recently there are several teams that got hot in the playoffs and won super bowls with a 10-6 record.

Like I said Brady is an outlyier and you know that.

And imo I look at who's constantly making the playoffs not who's winning Super Bowls because there's factors that go into winning that game like coaching and injuries etc...

If you look at who's constantly in the hunt and making the playoffs, most teams have 1st rd qbs. That's what I'm talking about 1st rd qbs...what he hell is wrong with giving our FO the best odds at picking who they want without having to give the moon for them? We aren't magically gonna be good there's a reason kyle and John go 6 yr contacts and there's a reason kyle said this "You never want to compete in one year at the expense of your future"

I'm fine with doubling our win total and getting a chance to see the young guns play this yr. it's better imo for the long-term success of this organization.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
This is the same line of thinking the jets FO has

Nope not even close actually...their line of thinking was Fitz got them 9 wins and they were one game away from the playoffs so they must be good right? Let's pay Fitz only to realize he's not that great (actually he blows) and then blow everything up....Let's draft a bunch of 2nd rd and mid rd qbs and watch them do s**t. I mean it was pretty awesome though they won 9 games in one yr.

Side note: Doug Whaley was on Sirius NFL radio and what he said he regrets more than anything was not going after a FQB much much sooner.

Edit: same thought process this yr yes not in the past...just reread your comment lol
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 21, 2017 at 2:54 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Tom Brady - winner of Super Bowl 51, 49, 39,38, 36: 6th round, pick 199
Peyton Manning - winner of Super Bowl 50,41: 1st round, pick 1
Russel Wilson - Winner of Super Bowl 48: 3rd round, pick 75
Joe Flacco - winner of super bowl 47: 1st round, pick 18
Eli Manning - winner of super bowl 46, 41: 1st round, pick 1
Aaron Rogers - winner of super bowl 45:1st round, pick 24
Drew Brees - winner of super bowl 44: 2nd round, pick 32
Ben Roethlisberger - winner of super bowl 43,40: 1st round, pick 11
Brad Johnson - winner of super bowl 37: 9th round, pick 227 (equivalent to being undrafted free agent today)
Trent Dilfer - winner of super bowl 35: 1st round, pick 6

So out of the 10 guys that have won the most recent super bowls, only 30% were picked in the first round and at the 6th pick position or higher, the rest of them (70%) were picked at the 11 pick positon or even later/lower. My point is that I think there is *more* chances we are able to pick a franchise QB - outside of the top 10 picks than you realize. If we go 8-8 and have some extra draft picks, I think we draft somewhere in the middle of round 1 and we can move up a couple of spots. That gives us ample opportunity (70 %) to acquire a FQB. I think 8-8 is very optimistic. Realistically I think we fall somewhere in the 6-10 category. If we manage to win 10 games and fall out of the middle part of the 1st round it falls to 60%. But at 10 wins - we are playoff probable. Anything can happen when you make the playoffs. 1967, packers win super bowl with a 9-4 record. And more recently there are several teams that got hot in the playoffs and won super bowls with a 10-6 record.

Like I said Brady is an outlyier and you know that.

And imo I look at who's constantly making the playoffs not who's winning Super Bowls because there's factors that go into winning that game like coaching and injuries etc...

If you look at who's constantly in the hunt and making the playoffs, most teams have 1st rd qbs. That's what I'm talking about 1st rd qbs...what he hell is wrong with giving our FO the best odds at picking who they want without having to give the moon for them? We aren't magically gonna be good there's a reason kyle and John go 6 yr contacts and there's a reason kyle said this "You never want to compete in one year at the expense of your future"

I'm fine with doubling our win total and getting a chance to see the young guns play this yr. it's better imo for the long-term success of this organization.

You are not right my main man.

Quality in QBs can be found anywhere.

Because Draftniks salivate over arm strength and speed which actually have nothing to do with QB ability in the NFL. Well only a little

Pop gun arms win Superbowls if they are attached to people with Brains

Intelligence is the most important thing a QB can possess.

the college set up allows guys like RG111 to shine cause the best athlete wins

in the NFL it is more complicated than that.

plus you have to have the right tools around you

so yeah; your next SuperBowl winning QB could come from anywhere in the Draft, my 49er brothers; even our new CJ.
[ Edited by GoldenGateGlory on Jun 21, 2017 at 3:57 PM ]
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
You are not right my main man.

Quality in QBs can be found anywhere.

Because Draftniks salivate over arm strength and speed which actually have nothing to do with QB ability in the NFL. Well only a little

Pop gun arms win Superbowls if they are attached to people with Brains

Intelligence is the most important thing a QB can possess.

the college set up allows guys like RG111 to shine cause the best athlete wins

in the NFL it is more complicated than that.

plus you have to have the right tools around you

so yeah; your next SuperBowl winning QB could come from anywhere in the Draft, my 49er brothers; even our new CJ.

No s**t lol you can find any starting position anywhere in the draft, doesn't mean that's the best way to go about it...I'd rather my HC have the pick of the litter, if you got some time go look at all the mid rd qbs that were drafted the past 5 yrs and tell me who's an actual FQB. I'll be waiting
^^^ All NY is saying is this is foundation year. An install the systems year.

For the future gain, it would be great if we could be ultra competitive and build confidence this year AND still be in position to get a FQB in the first round 1) Should he exist and 2) Should ShanaLynch choose to go that route.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 21, 2017 at 4:44 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

For the future gain, it would be great if we could be ultra competitive and build confidence this year AND still be in position to get a FQB in the first round 1) Should he exist and 2) Should ShanaLynch choose to go that route.

Yes in a nutshell that's what I'm saying and have been piggybacking off of kyles quote
Yet Like a toddler walking a Great Dane, clinging to a lead is something we simply couldn't do last year.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yes in a nutshell that's what I'm saying and have been piggybacking off of kyles quote

I gotcha brother...

Yet Like a toddler walking a Great Dane, clinging to a lead is something we simply couldn't do last year.

Huh? What does that have to do with anything we're talking about lol
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 21, 2017 at 5:29 PM ]

🤣🤣🤣 Nice

It has a lot to do about the coaching to be honest.

Clinging to a lead? This ain't a HaRoman offense anymore...

Lol ggg is a trip. So ny I get what you're saying man but what if we're 4-4, in the wild card hunt and 2 games out of first in our division? Should we still start CJ then if Hoyer is playing okay?
Share 49ersWebzone