LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 201 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

You play to win if you have a change of Glory.

Always!
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
Yet Like a toddler walking a Great Dane, clinging to a lead is something we simply couldn't do last year.

Huh? What does that have to do with anything we're talking about lol

Lol ggg is a trip. So ny I get what you're saying man but what if we're 4-4, in the wild card hunt and 2 games out of first in our division? Should we still start CJ then if Hoyer is playing okay?

Lol 4-4...who we beating in the first 8 games with Hoyer? I could see the Rams but that's it. Let's be real here people, we were the worst team in football last year and while we made changes on the roster we didn't bring in a ton of pro-bowlers.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Your right let's just keep hoyer lol

The point is that if they can get Cousins, then get Cousins. I'm not counting on any draft being "special" for QBs when we see how often these guys fall flat on their faces.

If Allen again barely completes 56% of his passes and struggles against any halfway decent competition are you going to be psyched about the 49ers using a Top 10 pick on a 100% project?

The next draft is one injury and one guy staying in school from being utterly mediocre when it comes to quarterbacks.
I share your sentiments exactly!
I don't see us drafting a qb in the 1st unless it's the perfect storm. No Cousins/ Jimmy G, someone Shanny is in love with. Just play the year and let the cards fall. I'd prefer letting CJ sit and learn the year.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 22, 2017 at 8:03 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yet Like a toddler walking a Great Dane, clinging to a lead is something we simply couldn't do last year.

Clinging to a lead? This ain't a HaRoman offense anymore...

Myth

Look at the point differentials from the HaRonan era.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

Clinging to a lead? This ain't a HaRoman offense anymore...

Myth

Look at the point differentials from the HaRonan era.

We still don't have nails left from those three years. Anybody that watched our offense during that time knew it always seemed to come down to the wire...a key defensive stop or a FG. There was no such thing as a comfortable lead back then.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I don't see us drafting a qb in the 1st unless it's the perfect storm. No Cousins/ Jimmy G, someone Shanny is in love with. Just play the year and let the cards fall. I'd prefer letting CJ sit and learn the year.

Same...
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Same...

I most certainly see us drafting a QB in the first if we don't get a top FA. Everyone want to go down the baalke road again and not value the QB position lol wtf?

Our FO/HC have both said getting a FQB is one of the top priorities...if it's CJ then let the man play next yr, reps get you better not learning behind hoyer.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 22, 2017 at 8:25 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
NY, CJ won't be ready to play this year, the offense is too complicated for a kid straight out of college. Playing him would be tanking, and as much as we all want a top pick to gamble on one of these qbs, tanking is not something I ever wanna see my team do. If you fight and lose, that's okay, but you never lay down and take it.

I think that kind of mindset, also affects a winning mentality. It's real easy to get into the losing habit. You want your whole ball club to have a never say die attutude. If the HC/front office/ownership has a loser attitude, it will affect the entire organization. Eddie D is in the hall of fame because he did *everything* he could to win games. He hated losing. That mentality spread throughout the ball club.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Heh, finding a FQB in the first round is *also* an exception, not the norm.

You don't throw an inexperienced QB that doesn't know the system into the wolves. He'll develop bad habits and lose his confidence. Confidence is one of the most critical mental attributes in the WCO and what Kyle treasures the most. That ability to throw blindly and with confidence to his receivers, and that takes a lot of time and repetitions to develop. Even Montana was occasionally given certain downs a game to play in his *second year* before he became a full time starter - a year after that - to carefully develop that confidence. You can play rookies at the other skill positions such as defensive line, and defensive back, running back and possibly even linebacker. I remember Riki Ellison did a fantastic job, but the guy calling the plays were Jack Reynolds. But Skill positions that require mental awareness of game strategy and tactics take longer to develop. Positions such as QB, some offensive receiving positions, Middle Linebacker, and Free Safety are positions which need a little bit more tutoring and experience before they start full time.

We may have a FQB in CJ, then again we won't really know for at least a year or more. And I agree with you that finding the FQB is very important, and that's why even with CJ on the team, I'd like for ShanaLynch to spend the draft capital that they need to - to participate in next years supposedly very strong QB class. To *not* do otherwise, I think isn't being smart. My hope is that they get a top notch QB - maybe not a Sam Darnold - but maybe somebody in the top 3 or 4 ranked QBs in next years draft in the first round.

Typically its the Head Coaches have that win now mentality, whereas the GM have the - don't sacrifice now for the future mentality. (classic example is Ballke the draft pick hoarder) It will be interesting how Kyle handles that as time goes on, because he is in a very strong position to pretty much draft what he wants to draft and trade who he wants to trade for. The only check on his power is the GM, who is a good friend of his - and if push comes to shove with the GM, Lynch will most likely defer to Kyle because he is so inexperienced.

Most starting qbs in the league are 1st rd picks...unless your bringing up placeholder crap qbs like hoyer/Glennon. I want a clear path to getting a top end guy....winning 6 games doesn't help with that and sure as hell doesn't get us in the playoffs.

40% of super bowl *winning* QB's going back to super bowl 35 were not picked in the first round. To me that lessens the importance of picking a QB in the first round. Not diagreeing with you, just saying your focus on first round first pick QBs is too disproportionate.
[ Edited by Giedi on Jun 22, 2017 at 8:32 AM ]

No one is saying don't get Kirk if you can...I've been at the top of the mountain screaming for Kirk BUT if he gets a deal done then what? The next step is the draft and I want the best chance for our staff at getting who we want period.

People undervaluing the QB position in here is f**king crazy...oh kyle will just take another mid rd QB prospect and turn him into Joe Montana lol.
40% of super bowl *winning* QB's were not picked in the first round.

You're proving his point .
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
40% of super bowl *winning* QB's were not picked in the first round.

You're proving his point .

I never diagreed with his Point about the imprtance of a first round quality QB.

No one is saying don't get Kirk if you can...I've been at the top of the mountain screaming for Kirk BUT if he gets a deal done then what? The next step is the draft and I want the best chance for our staff at getting who we want period.

People undervaluing the QB position in here is f**king crazy...oh kyle will just take another mid rd QB prospect and turn him into Joe Montana lol.

... yeah, with the caveat that Kyle's guy is projected to the first round. This year they were prime to get the #1 QB in the on the board in the first round and passed. Kyle doesn't care...while everyone projected Beathard as a 7th rounder, Kyle had him #1 on his board.

That said, I agree with your premise...IF Kyle's #1 QB happens to be projected to the first round, I'd much rather be in the same position as this year to take him vs. having to give away the house to move up to get him.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 22, 2017 at 8:41 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Who's a viable FA at QB next yr...not named Kirk or jimmy G

Why does it have to be a qb not named Kirk or Jimmy ? Did you lose all hope for getting them or something ??

Because you have to be realistic...top end QBs dont pop out in FA they just don't man. I've been on the Kirk bandwagon and hope he's the guy but to just assume he will be there is silly, same with jimmy G and it's not like we're the only team that needs a QB.

You're talking about hoping we have a poor season so we could maybe get a top pick to maybe get a top qb in the draft who you're assuming will turn out to be a solid starter . That's a hell of a lot more assumptions than hoping we land Kirk or jimmy g who both are in unique situations.

Well he's hoping they play well but because they are rookies they will make mental errors that will lose us games to get us closer to the first round, first pick. I just think the players will see that and see it for what it is and lose confidence in the ball club leadership for implementing that strategy.
Share 49ersWebzone