LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 153 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I share your sentiments exactly!

No one is saying don't get Kirk if you can...I've been at the top of the mountain screaming for Kirk BUT if he gets a deal done then what? The next step is the draft and I want the best chance for our staff at getting who we want period.

People undervaluing the QB position in here is f**king crazy...oh kyle will just take another mid rd QB prospect and turn him into Joe Montana lol.

THIS, THIS, THIS!
Originally posted by NCommand:

No one is saying don't get Kirk if you can...I've been at the top of the mountain screaming for Kirk BUT if he gets a deal done then what? The next step is the draft and I want the best chance for our staff at getting who we want period.

People undervaluing the QB position in here is f**king crazy...oh kyle will just take another mid rd QB prospect and turn him into Joe Montana lol.

... yeah, with the caveat that Kyle's guy is projected to the first round. This year they were prime to get the #1 QB in the on the board in the first round and passed. Kyle doesn't care...while everyone projected Beathard as a 7th rounder, Kyle had him #1 on his board.

That said, I agree with your premise...IF Kyle's #1 QB happens to be projected to the first round, I'd much rather be in the same position as this year to take him vs. having to give away the house to move up to get him.

Beathard isn't Kyle's guy?
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
Yet Like a toddler walking a Great Dane, clinging to a lead is something we simply couldn't do last year.

Clinging to a lead? This ain't a HaRoman offense anymore...

Myth

Look at the point differentials from the HaRonan era.

We still don't have nails left from those three years. Anybody that watched our offense during that time knew it always seemed to come down to the wire...a key defensive stop or a FG. There was no such thing as a comfortable lead back then.

Any team in the top 5 for point differential is not squeaking by teams at the wire.

Stats can be deceiving sometimes.
I'm saying going 4-12 not 2-14 FAs come for money above everything else, That's something that we have a lot of....also from what I've read players what to play in kyle's offense. I'm talking about looking competitive, not a complete s**t show like the past two yrs as well. FAs also like knowing the team isn't gonna get blown up in a yr or two and that's not gonna happen after one bad season here. This is gonna be a process, far from what happened in 2011.

I'm also not saying don't be serious about winning, I'm saying this season imo is sort of a throw away season, it's a first yr in learning a whole new system on offense and defense. Raiders had 3 seasons of 4-12 or 3-13 which in turn got them Mack/cooper/Carr and they still were bringing in vets. Play the young players and see who's who...I see one winnable game in the first 8 games.

What this is all based around (my perspective) is what kyle stated...."You never want to compete in one year at the expense of your future" and I agree.

I will be okay with doubling our win total and improving our ranks on offense/defense in yr one. People thinking we're gonna win 7+ games this upcoming yr need a reality check imo. Since when did hoyer become a "winner" lol? All the FAs we brought in only one was a true pro-bowler and he was a FB. It's gonna take time and I'm okay with that along with getting top end picks next yr to land a QB. If we get Kirk then sell that pick to the highest bidder and be set for the upcoming yrs (example titans).

It's cool if we have different perspectives on this.

Hoyer got 7 wins in Clv last time he was with Shanny. That's not Mount Everest. If we start 1-7 maybe my mind will change but as of now I'm not looking at next April.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 22, 2017 at 2:28 PM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
Yet Like a toddler walking a Great Dane, clinging to a lead is something we simply couldn't do last year.

Clinging to a lead? This ain't a HaRoman offense anymore...

Myth

Look at the point differentials from the HaRonan era.

We still don't have nails left from those three years. Anybody that watched our offense during that time knew it always seemed to come down to the wire...a key defensive stop or a FG. There was no such thing as a comfortable lead back then.

That point differential tells me the 49ers defense and special teams were lights out.
Yeah, nothing wrong with that.

As to the QB's, I don't think teams are dumb as they are dealt a delivered hand and that's the landscape they have to work with. Back in the day, the trend was on pro style offenses at the college level and getting the best of the best from that group translated better into the pro game and offenses run at the NFL level.

Now the emphasis is more on athletic running QB's who take every snap from shotgun, no huddle and one read and run with mild accuracy.

Can you imagine the scouting reports on Joe Montana and Phil Simms regarding their 40 times, 3 cones, bench and arm strength? LOL

I'm just saying teams are forced to massively project because of this movement or drastically change their offenses.

But Kyle won't change his whole offense to accommodate an RGIII of Kaepernick and those were two first and high second round picks.

Because of the landscape, Kyle's #1 QB just may be sitting there in the 2nd-4th rounds now.

No I agree about the scheme in college football being an issue for qbs going into the pros...I don't see that what two of the top three qbs in next yrs draft though. Rosen and Darold are pocket passing qbs. Allen has to show he has that in him and he could be the best of the bunch and one of the better qbs to come out in 10+ yrs.

My point is imo this draft next yr could be very special at QB, we sure as hell weren't saying that this time last yr. we need a FQB and I'll be f**king bummed if we get lucky and win 7 games only to miss out on a game changer...I DO NOT want to be stuck in mediocre for the next 5+ yrs.
Originally posted by pelos21:
I'm saying WHAT IF ny. Also, you never know man. I'm a big believer in the term Any Given Sunday. I just looked at our first 8 games and it's not out of the realm of possibility that we can win 4 games. So I'll ask you again. WHAT IF we're 4-4, 5-5 or even 6-6? We should just say f**k it, throw in the towel and see what Beathard can do? f**k that lol. If we're in the hunt I would hope Shanahan would keep fighting until we're officially eliminated.

I'm just being realistic man, what ifs are great but we just don't have the roster to win 4 of our first 8 games....and if we do it's gonna be s**t luck not because we're amazing imo. You're wearing rose colored glasses if you think otherwise...yr one of a complete rebuild man, long-term is what matters not going 7-9.

Improvement from last yr is all I need to see...it's the end game that matters to me not going .500 who cares about being the 25 best team in the league?
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Hoyer got 7 wins in Clv last time he was with Shanny. That's not Mount Everest. If we start 1-7 maybe my mind will change but as of now I'm not looking at next April.

Great we get 7 wins with hoyer and lose any possible chance at drafting real QB...gonna look like the Jets with that crap.

No thanks, we're rebuilding not winning SBs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

No, I just think you are over-valuing the QB position. I mean where would Staubach would be without Bullet Hays, Bradshaw without Swann & Harris, Montana without Clark and Eric Wright who horsecollered Pearson to prevent the Cowboys from scoring on us after *the catch.* Tom without Edleman. Franchise QB's are surrounded by good people, that's my point. I am not saying Franchise QB's are not important. I'm just saying just get a good QB that can distribute the ball and not make stupid turnovers and move the ball against quality defenses. I'm from the point of view that Defense wins championships, so what has been done in the past that's been successful is get a good QB and surround him with good people, and more likely than not - you get a franchise QB. When I say good QB, I don't mean check down Alex. I mean a courageous QB that can throw a deep ball, the short ball, drill the out, and have great touch (which is important for the WCO). But even if you do get an Alex vs Peyton Manning, if you have a top of the line defense and give a guy like Alex a pair of 900+ yard receivers and a good thousand yard rusher you get the playoffs. Again, once in the playoffs, anything is possible. (and yes - I know Alex was a round 1 pick 1 player - so even round 1 pick 1 you may not get that Peyton kinda dude )

No, I just think you are over-valuing the QB position. I mean where would Staubach would be without Bullet Hays, Bradshaw without Swann & Harris, Montana without Clark and Eric Wright who horsecollered Pearson to prevent the Cowboys from scoring on us after *the catch.* Tom without Edleman. Franchise QB's are surrounded by good people, that's my point. I am not saying Franchise QB's are not important. I'm just saying just get a good QB that can distribute the ball and not make stupid turnovers and move the ball against quality defenses. I'm from the point of view that Defense wins championships, so what has been done in the past that's been successful is get a good QB and surround him with good people, and more likely than not - you get a franchise QB. When I say good QB, I don't mean check down Alex. I mean a courageous QB that can throw a deep ball, the short ball, drill the out, and have great touch (which is important for the WCO). But even if you do get an Alex vs Peyton Manning, if you have a top of the line defense and give a guy like Alex a pair of 900+ yard receivers and a good thousand yard rusher you get the playoffs. Again, once in the playoffs, anything is possible. (and yes - I know Alex was a round 1 pick 1 player - so even round 1 pick 1 you may not get that Peyton kinda dude )

FQB make players around them better especially in today's game. Edelman isn't crap with Tom and there's a reason he took a huge hometown discount to stay there. FAs see a FQB they see a team that has a chance. Getting good players to surround a mediocre QB is something baalke has been doing and I see no SBs do you? I'm done with not valuing the QB position...so over it.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 22, 2017 at 3:07 PM ]

Defense doesn't win championships. A defense and run-game gets you guaranteed playoffs. Now include an efficient QB that has some balls and that is what wins championships.

A FQB can make the playoffs without a run-game and with a mediocre defense. But a mediocre defense and no run-game cannot make the playoffs without a FQB.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Idk if I get your point. 60 percent is way higher than 40 percent. Especially if you consider 60 percent were picked in one single round while the other 40 percent come from 6 other rounds plus undrafted QBs.

I think the point is that while it's important to have first round draft picks for the all important QB position. *But* - if you don't get a franchise QB in the first round, it's not going end your chances of getting that franchise QB in the later rounds. So if we win 10-6 and miss the playoffs and lose out on that 1st round 1st pick, you still have a good chance in the later rounds to get one. Remember, all those *40%* QB's not drafted in the first round are all available in the 2nd round too.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Defense doesn't win championships. A defense and run-game gets you guaranteed playoffs. Now include an efficient QB that has some balls and that is what wins championships.

A FQB can make the playoffs without a run-game and with a mediocre defense. But a mediocre defense and no run-game cannot make the playoffs without a FQB.

Well that's interesting, are you saying an efficient QB with a good supporting cast can win championships? Wow, I've just learned something new!
Originally posted by Joecool:

Perfect example is rogers in GB
I think the point is that while it's important to have first round draft picks for the all important QB position. *But* - if you don't get a franchise QB in the first round, it's not going end your chances of getting that franchise QB in the later rounds. So if we win 10-6 and miss the playoffs and lose out on that 1st round 1st pick, you still have a good chance in the later rounds to get one. Remember, all those *40%* QB's not drafted in the first round are all available in the 2nd round too.

It lowers you odds drastically. Here's a perfect article explaining it (it's based around life after Big Ben)

The article shows all the non-1st rd pick qbs that have started at some point since 2004....it shows that only seven of 126 qbs picked panned out (including Schaub) makes selecting a non-first-rounder QB a huge shot in the dark. The success rate is a paltry 5.5 percent

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/platform/amp/2017-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2017/1/24/14160074/taking-a-qb-outside-the-first-round-in-the-nfl-draft-is-a-crapshoot-steelers-ben-roethlisberger
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 22, 2017 at 3:37 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone