LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 294 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
FQB make players around them better especially in today's game. Edelman isn't crap with Tom and there's a reason he took a huge hometown discount to stay there. FAs see a FQB they see a team that has a chance. Getting good players to surround a mediocre QB is something baalke has been doing and I see no SBs do you? I'm done with not valuing the QB position...so over it.

Not disagreeing with you. I think Kyle sums it up best. And I think it's a good statement on what I also think. They are going into 2017 with winning every game in mind, putting the best players they can to win the games, be it veterans or rookies, and let the chips fall where they may, in 2018 draft. I have no clue who they are going to draft at the QB position in the 2018 draft but I suspect if they think Sam Darnold is *the* franchise QB they are going to do everything they can to get him.

If he's unable to acquire a veteran quarterback via trade or free agency, Shanahan insists he will not reach for one with the No. 2 pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.
"If there is a quarterback there that we believe can match that criteria," Shanahan said, "and we believe he can be a franchise quarterback for us, of course, you don't hesitate on that.

"But if you don't see that and there are other good players -- if there's a pass-rusher, a linebacker, if there's an O-lineman, whatever it is -- you need to get the best player possible who can help your team for the next 10 years."
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Defense doesn't win championships. A defense and run-game gets you guaranteed playoffs. Now include an efficient QB that has some balls and that is what wins championships.

A FQB can make the playoffs without a run-game and with a mediocre defense. But a mediocre defense and no run-game cannot make the playoffs without a FQB.

Well that's interesting, are you saying an efficient QB with a good supporting cast can win championships? Wow, I've just learned something new!

No. A good QB with balls.
Originally posted by pelos21:
I'm saying WHAT IF ny. Also, you never know man. I'm a big believer in the term Any Given Sunday. I just looked at our first 8 games and it's not out of the realm of possibility that we can win 4 games. So I'll ask you again. WHAT IF we're 4-4, 5-5 or even 6-6? We should just say f**k it, throw in the towel and see what Beathard can do? f**k that lol. If we're in the hunt I would hope Shanahan would keep fighting until we're officially eliminated.

I'm just being realistic man, what ifs are great but we just don't have the roster to win 4 of our first 8 games....and if we do it's gonna be s**t luck not because we're amazing imo. You're wearing rose colored glasses if you think otherwise...yr one of a complete rebuild man, long-term is what matters not going 7-9.

Improvement from last yr is all I need to see...it's the end game that matters to me not going .500 who cares about being the 25 best team in the league?

Seems like you're pretty fixed on drafting one of those top tier qbs next year. If start we 1-5 or 2-6 then I'd definitely go with what you're saying.
I tell you most solemnly; we will have top end talent at QB, one way or another; if it doesn't happen organically through the Draft; it will happen inorganically through a Trade.

We have the money and we may even overspend but by the time this Franchise gets back on its feet

By the time we are ready to Rock n Roll; we are going to do it with a quality Band Leader.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
No. A good QB with balls.

That is saying a lot, without saying a lot.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
Yet Like a toddler walking a Great Dane, clinging to a lead is something we simply couldn't do last year.

Clinging to a lead? This ain't a HaRoman offense anymore...

Myth

Look at the point differentials from the HaRonan era.

We still don't have nails left from those three years. Anybody that watched our offense during that time knew it always seemed to come down to the wire...a key defensive stop or a FG. There was no such thing as a comfortable lead back then.

That point differential tells me the 49ers defense and special teams were lights out.

Absolutely and that they were not squeaking by teams every week and that they didn't have a defense killing offensive scheme like the 49ers had last year.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Yeah, nothing wrong with that.

As to the QB's, I don't think teams are dumb as they are dealt a delivered hand and that's the landscape they have to work with. Back in the day, the trend was on pro style offenses at the college level and getting the best of the best from that group translated better into the pro game and offenses run at the NFL level.

Now the emphasis is more on athletic running QB's who take every snap from shotgun, no huddle and one read and run with mild accuracy.

Can you imagine the scouting reports on Joe Montana and Phil Simms regarding their 40 times, 3 cones, bench and arm strength? LOL

I'm just saying teams are forced to massively project because of this movement or drastically change their offenses.

But Kyle won't change his whole offense to accommodate an RGIII of Kaepernick and those were two first and high second round picks.

Because of the landscape, Kyle's #1 QB just may be sitting there in the 2nd-4th rounds now.

I got these names from the draft nerd section. These guys know their draft .

Keller Chryst, Wilton Speight, Mike White, Clayton Thorson. These guys will be available in the lower rounds, but I'm just guessing. Chryst and Speight might fit Kyle's pro offense criteria and they just might be available in those 2nd-4rth rounds.

Keller Chryst, Wilton Speight, Mike White, Clayton Thorson. These guys will be available in the lower rounds, but I'm just guessing. Chryst and Speight might fit Kyle's pro offense criteria and they just might be available in those 2nd-4rth rounds.

Trash...I already showed you of the 126 qbs drafted outside of the first (since 2004) 7 have done anything...5.5 % success rate. What are you baalke!?
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 22, 2017 at 5:04 PM ]

Trash...I already showed you of the 126 qbs drafted outside of the first (since 2004) 7 have done anything...5.5 % success rate. What are you baalke!?

It wasn't just Baalke, the stinginess with draft picks being used for QBs pre-dated Baalke. I think it was the analytics department, the head of which is still running football operations. Hopefully the old guard is willing to change philosophies.

As to the QB's, I don't think teams are dumb as they are dealt a delivered hand and that's the landscape they have to work with. Back in the day, the trend was on pro style offenses at the college level and getting the best of the best from that group translated better into the pro game and offenses run at the NFL level.

Now the emphasis is more on athletic running QB's who take every snap from shotgun, no huddle and one read and run with mild accuracy.

Can you imagine the scouting reports on Joe Montana and Phil Simms regarding their 40 times, 3 cones, bench and arm strength? LOL

I'm just saying teams are forced to massively project because of this movement or drastically change their offenses.

But Kyle won't change his whole offense to accommodate an RGIII of Kaepernick and those were two first and high second round picks.

Because of the landscape, Kyle's #1 QB just may be sitting there in the 2nd-4th rounds now.

No I agree about the scheme in college football being an issue for qbs going into the pros...I don't see that what two of the top three qbs in next yrs draft though. Rosen and Darold are pocket passing qbs. Allen has to show he has that in him and he could be the best of the bunch and one of the better qbs to come out in 10+ yrs.

My point is imo this draft next yr could be very special at QB, we sure as hell weren't saying that this time last yr. we need a FQB and I'll be f**king bummed if we get lucky and win 7 games only to miss out on a game changer...I DO NOT want to be stuck in mediocre for the next 5+ yrs.

Totally get that one! Like I said before, if Kyle's guy is in the first round, I want to be in position to get him. I just won't be surprised if that guy is later also given the current landscape.

Totally get that one! Like I said before, if Kyle's guy is in the first round, I want to be in position to get him. I just won't be surprised if that guy is later also given the current landscape.

We will see... I just hope kyle isn't trying to be smarter than he is ya know. Talent is talent and to think you can just make someone based on scheme alone is silly.

We will see... I just hope kyle isn't trying to be smarter than he is ya know. Talent is talent and to think you can just make someone based on scheme alone is silly.

100% agree!
Great we get 7 wins with hoyer and lose any possible chance at drafting real QB...gonna look like the Jets with that crap.

No thanks, we're rebuilding not winning SBs.

The Jets huh good thing we got Shanny instead of Rex Ryan and Todd Bowles though. With his complex offense I don't see him jumping to develop a qb he's forced to play right away. He's going to want Cousins, Jimmy G 1st, to develop from the bench like Carr, Cousins 2nd. As long as we don't pull a Gruden and pass on the franchise qb I'm not complaining.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 22, 2017 at 8:38 PM ]

No I agree about the scheme in college football being an issue for qbs going into the pros...I don't see that what two of the top three qbs in next yrs draft though. Rosen and Darold are pocket passing qbs. Allen has to show he has that in him and he could be the best of the bunch and one of the better qbs to come out in 10+ yrs.

My point is imo this draft next yr could be very special at QB, we sure as hell weren't saying that this time last yr. we need a FQB and I'll be f**king bummed if we get lucky and win 7 games only to miss out on a game changer...I DO NOT want to be stuck in mediocre for the next 5+ yrs.

Maybe Beathard is his guy?
  • thl408
http://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/21184/titans-ability-to-stay-in-base-personnel-could-key-chance-vs-broncos
Tennessee has two or fewer receivers on the field a league-high 56 percent percent of the time. The Falcons are second at 55 percent, the Patriots third at 50 percent, the Bills fourth at 49 percent.

That was a stat from Dec 2016, so not an end of year stat. But shows how Kyle likes to keep the opposing D "slow" by keeping them in base. Keep the nose tackle on the field, and the nickel CB off the field.
Share 49ersWebzone