LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 229 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
You make a lot of really, really,reeeeeally long posts.

I think you're a smart guy but most of us just can't commit that much time. Friendly request here, could you shorten them up so more of us can read/respond?

LeP, you have no idea how hard i try to make things shorter. Drives me nuts, sometimes, i start out with "this is going to be no more than 1 paragraph"...and then goes downhill from there. I do make a lot of very short posts, but when something is really important, i get wound up. Overall, many posts are short like this, but in a couple threads, i just seem to see about 9 different sides of a 9er problem....and then i get sidetracked. However, that said, I will make a renewed effort to shorten everything. I just wish i could do so like most others do

Texting or twitter must drive you crazy. lol
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
Goff wasn't very good his rookie year at Cal. He came back his second year and really improved.

In tge NFL he was thrown in his rookie year with Jeff Fisher, no weapons and a leaky o-line. Fisher had been through about 15 QB's as a HC. He blows.

It's too early to call Goff a bust. Seeing he's with the Rams I hope he does bust- we may know the answer to that by the end of this season although 1.5 seasons may be a tad early (for a pocket passer).

Some pocket passers take 3-4 years in the NFL before they really take off. If Goff plays like garbage up to the end of 2018 I think we can clearly call him a bust. (After two seasons in McVay's offense)

I take it you were on team Goff last April. It's OK no one is keeping score.

I still am to an extent. That changed a lot when the Rams drafted him. If an AFC team picked him up I'd still be outright rooting for him to succeed.

I'm a Cal fan. Watched every game he played in and I know potential when I see it. More than likley he'll improve this year just like he did his second year at Cal. He's not a dominant personality. Not a quick learner either. He's not slow or stupid but I don't think he was ready to make the jump from the Bear Raid offense to a pro-style system in the NFL.

Jeff Fisher is an idiot and he's not a guy that's going to develop QB's. It was the worst possible situation for Goff. Anyhow, 7 games isn't enough to call someone a bust. Especially being thrown to the wolves in a Jeff Fisher offense. Like I said, we'll have to wait and see what McVay can do with him. Obviously I hope he plays like crap when we play the Rams.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think people are optimistic because in 2016 the 49ers were within one score during the 4th quarter in 12 games. And as you know that was with a historical bad defense. If our healthy defense helps wins 1/3 of those this year, with the 2 wins you possibly see, and we are at 6.

Oh stop

?

Go look at our schedule and tell me, honestly how we win 6 games. FYI our offense was ranked 31st as well it was all very very bad last yr. I expect our rankings to be better and for us to be competitive but we are nowhere close to a .500 win team and I'm okay with that for one more yr
Go look at our schedule and tell me, honestly how we win 6 games. FYI our offense was ranked 31st as well it was all very very bad last yr. I expect our rankings to be better and for us to be competitive but we are nowhere close to a .500 win team and I'm okay with that for one more yr

Lol at people pretending we were close to being good last year because of that 4th quarter one score thing stat. When in the fourth quarter? FG or TD? We were awful last year and probably would've lost to Cleveland if we played them. We played 6 teams last year with a winning record. We played 6 teams that we're picking top 10. 9 picking top 13.

We were crap.

Now this schedule is still a mystery but the bad teams on there should be much improved just like we are so it may not be so easy.

Rams, Jags and Bears may be the only games we're favored in.
Originally posted by genus49:
Lol at people pretending we were close to being good last year because of that 4th quarter one score thing stat. When in the fourth quarter? FG or TD? We were awful last year and probably would've lost to Cleveland if we played them. We played 6 teams last year with a winning record. We played 6 teams that we're picking top 10. 9 picking top 13.

We were crap.

Now this schedule is still a mystery but the bad teams on there should be much improved just like we are so it may not be so easy.

Rams, Jags and Bears may be the only games we're favored in.

We also had 20 players on IR which is absolutely insane. Not a single team out there that could compete while putting 20 players on IR. If they were like 2011 niners and had only one player hit IR then they would be a lot better than 2-14, guaranteed.

During our best harbaugh years we had 1-7 guys or something on IR. Then his final year had over 20 and dropped to 8-8.
[ Edited by GhostOfBaalke on Jun 24, 2017 at 7:30 AM ]

Tennessee, Jacksonville, Rams, Rams, Arizona, Chicago, Giants, Texans, Redskins and Eagles are all up for grabs if SF plays much better this year; but it's a huge unknown so...just having a bit of fun. And Seattle without Lynch, Colts with a more human Luck, and who knows which Newton...all interesting games.

My guess is that 8-8 would be an incredible jump but possible if all things go right for Shanahan and company. Playing Carolina, Dallas and Giants at home will help some. Tough schedule but Dallas and Seattle are the only teams so good that they could have a bad game and still win.
A lot of 8-8 teams on the schedule and I never call those games out of reach even if we're the underdog. Only takes them showing their worse half to walk away with a win. If we have steady improvements on offense, defense we're not going to be a 3-4 win team. You will find ways to win. Obviously we won't march into Seattle and knock off the Seahawks but I'll start with Carolina that game is winnable. This isn't necessarily last year's team. We gutted the roster. New qb, new front 7, new receivers.
I think people are optimistic because in 2016 the 49ers were within one score during the 4th quarter in 12 games. And as you know that was with a historical bad defense. If our healthy defense helps wins 1/3 of those this year, with the 2 wins you possibly see, and we are at 6.

Oh stop

?

I Agree I don't think we win 8.
I think we win 5 or 6. Hoping for 6 cause it seems like good things happen after 6-10
That's my superstitious side coming out.
We shouldn't be 31st on defense and 31st on offense this year. Hell, kyles labeled genius and superstar already by some on here!
Hey who knows, injuries, etc play a huge part so we could be 31st on both. Hope not.

Oh stop

I would love to see a 6 win season and yes a number of games were within striking distance. But you are also going on the premise that all those teams will be just as bad as they were a year ago.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Tennessee, Jacksonville, Rams, Rams, Arizona, Chicago, Giants, Texans, Redskins and Eagles are all up for grabs if SF plays much better this year; but it's a huge unknown so...just having a bit of fun. And Seattle without Lynch, Colts with a more human Luck, and who knows which Newton...all interesting games.

My guess is that 8-8 would be an incredible jump but possible if all things go right for Shanahan and company. Playing Carolina, Dallas and Giants at home will help some. Tough schedule but Dallas and Seattle are the only teams so good that they could have a bad game and still win.

Those teams are either very good already or drastically improved. Don't belong with the others imo.

I Agree I don't think we win 8.
I think we win 5 or 6. Hoping for 6 cause it seems like good things happen after 6-10
That's my superstitious side coming out.
We shouldn't be 31st on defense and 31st on offense this year. Hell, kyles labeled genius and superstar already by some on here!
Hey who knows, injuries, etc play a huge part so we could be 31st on both. Hope not.

Well, after watching last yr's games, kyle is a superstar playcaller, and at picking Qbs . He wouldn't work wiht manziel (great points there), and did well with RG3 initially, and later wth Cousins, Hoyer, and Matty Ice. All Qbs do way better under him, and he definitely seems to be a good judge of QBs. As for D, he also can diagram and explain Ds as well as working with TEs and WRs, besides QB. Also knows about OL play. So yes, he is a superstar.

Has he proved anything yet in our season? Absolutely not. And sure, injuries could once again sandbag us...and him. But i don't think so this yr. He canned the trainer first thing out of the box and put his own in. Won't go into things he changed around, but they were long overdue. He could very well be limited by Hoyer's abilities this yr , or Hoyer could come alive. His big problem is staying on the field. Maybe this yr. Anyway we know for certain we are way better off than wtih out last two FAILS at HC...and i think same goes for harbaw, but that is not a opinion of many. How will he do this yr? No way to know now, but after TC, PS, we should have a pretty good idea.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jun 24, 2017 at 8:32 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well, after watching last yr's games, kyle is a superstar playcaller, and at picking Qbs . He wouldn't work wiht manziel (great points there), and did well with RG3 initially, and later wth Cousins, Hoyer, and Marty Ice. All Qbs do way better under him, and he definitely seems to be a good judge of QBs. As for D, he also can diagram and explain Ds as well as working with TEs and WRs, besides QB. Also knows about OL play. So yes, he is a superstar.

Has he proved anything yet in our season? Absolutely not. And sure, injuries could once again sandbag us...and him. But i don't think so this yr. He canned the trainer first thing out of the box and put his own in. Won't go into things he changed around, but they were long overdue. He could very well be limited by Hoyer's abilities this yr , or Hoyer could come alive. His big problem is staying on the field. Maybe this yr. Anyway we know for certain we are way better off than wtih out last two FAILS at HC...and i think same goes for harbaw, but that is not a opinion of many. How will he do this yr? No way to know now, but after TC, PS, we should have a pretty good idea.

For the record i think 7 Ws-9Ws is where we end up. But that is all guess right now. Let's wait until just before season starts and then make our picks.
Woooow. Reading the last 7-8 pages of this thread makes me wanna bust out the baby powder and snack a crying baby! Metaphorically speaking of course lol.

Since NY is my brother from another...ill take over and handle this guys

NY, A)With the circumstances we had late towards the end of the season we were right there to win it VS Miami and Seattle,both playoff teams. What is your response.

B)After Harbaugh was hired and we knew Luck was coming out and a lot of people had us to be bad enough wed be in a position to possibly grab him...What was your mindset at during OTAs then in 2011.

If you could answer these two i think we can get back on track of this thread lol
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jun 24, 2017 at 3:07 PM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Those teams are either very good already or drastically improved. Don't belong with the others imo.

The Giants have been adrift. last year they beat almost no good teams except Dallas and Dallas. No other team they beat was much over 500. Texans? Tennessee? Both 9-7 and lucky to be so.
So does anyone BELIEV E more now

Does anyone believe form what has been happenin in the 9er world that Kyle aint gonna give us something, and I mean something that is intrinsic that wont immediately make us both individually and collectively a 20% better team

5 minutes of coaching by kyle is going to right some of these boys wrongs.

Like a very good headmaster who offers the boys a chance to improve or they will get a big whippin

Kyle has charisma and the rght type of personal touch to get people onside

and he builds

and he builds and he builds and he builds

so that everyone thinks that they are best friends with Kyle

everyone wants to please him and feel good in his presence

that is what a good coach does

he makes you want to please him

he makes you want to perform.
Share 49ersWebzone