Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 215 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• thl408
I'm glad he lost the SB. It's not like I care about the Falcons. And it makes him hungrier on this job (49ers HC).
Yeah I don't get what the f**k he was thinking.
Shanny had 1 horrendous play call. He runs it 3 times, they kick the fg Atl probably wins by 11. Credit goes to NE though for scoring 16 on the final 2 drives. If you lose like that you should be looking at the d.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Shanny had 1 horrendous play call. He runs it 3 times, they kick the fg Atl probably wins by 11. Credit goes to NE though for scoring 16 on the final 2 drives. If you lose like that you should be looking at the d.

So that's 2 NE superbowl victories made by opponent's bonehead plays.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Does anyone disagree that his play calling was anything other than atrocious in the second half? People blame Roman for calling a few passes at the goal line, Kyle did that the whole second half when all he had to do was burn clock. He didn't burn clock and he didn't score.

Running back Devonta Freeman averaged 6.8 yards per carry in the game, and was virtually ignored when the Falcons needed him most.

— At 28-12, on third-and-1, Matt Ryan dropped back to pass and was sacked by Dont'a Hightower. The Patriots recovered at the Falcons' 25 yard line with 8:30 minutes left.

— After the Patriots cut the lead to 28-20, the Falcons moved it to the Patriots' 25 on a brilliant Julio Jones catch. Shanahan called passing plays on three of the next four snaps, which included a sack and a holding penalty that pushed Atlanta out of Matt Bryant's field-goal range.

I was yelling at the TV. He refused to run the clock out or run the ball at all. It made no sense.

He is a smart guy and a good OC and I am glad to have him but he is the #1 reason the Falcons lost the SB.

Oh Lord...so much to refute here but it's a moot point. Let's just appreciate a rededication to first down yardage again!
Woo...that is nice of you to want kyle to wait til coming here to win his first of many SBs.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Been saying this since the Super Bowl ended.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Does anyone disagree that his play calling was anything other than atrocious in the second half? People blame Roman for calling a few passes at the goal line, Kyle did that the whole second half when all he had to do was burn clock. He didn't burn clock and he didn't score.

Running back Devonta Freeman averaged 6.8 yards per carry in the game, and was virtually ignored when the Falcons needed him most.

— At 28-12, on third-and-1, Matt Ryan dropped back to pass and was sacked by Dont'a Hightower. The Patriots recovered at the Falcons' 25 yard line with 8:30 minutes left.

— After the Patriots cut the lead to 28-20, the Falcons moved it to the Patriots' 25 on a brilliant Julio Jones catch. Shanahan called passing plays on three of the next four snaps, which included a sack and a holding penalty that pushed Atlanta out of Matt Bryant's field-goal range.

I was yelling at the TV. He refused to run the clock out or run the ball at all. It made no sense.

He is a smart guy and a good OC and I am glad to have him but he is the #1 reason the Falcons lost the SB.

Oh Lord...so much to refute here but it's a moot point. Let's just appreciate a rededication to first down yardage again!

Haha!!!
Kyle needs another offseason to fill out the personnel to win the with the 1st down.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Kyle needs another offseason to fill out the personnel to win the with the 1st down.

Yeah, he's going to have to rely on his short area quickness WR's, TE's and RB/FB's in the short passing game on first downs yo get 4 or more yards... and the running game. He'll also have to lean on his designs and play calling.

But if he can stay at 2nd and <6, his whole playbook will be wide open and that's when he's at his best.

Originally posted by thl408:
I'm glad he lost the SB. It's not like I care about the Falcons. And it makes him hungrier on this job (49ers HC).

Me too!

IMO, not only will he be hungrier but more humble.

Losing and making mistakes can really improve a person who learns from them.

The D was terrible in that 2nd half.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Been saying this since the Super Bowl ended.

Yeah, this is why stats can be so deceiving out of context.

Coleman had 75 yards on 11 carries for a 6.8 yard average BUT had the bulk of that on his first 3 runs of the game. After half time, he and Freeman were destroyed, both combing for a 2.1 and 1.75 average on 9 carries (20 total yards). And then Coleman went out with injury at the 9:00 mark and everything changed. We also have to remember that it wasn't just the Pats adjusting so well but also Alex Mack was badly injured and by 4Q he was REALLY struggling and getting worse and worse.

In short, their run game was non-existent with most of those runs going for zero or negative yards and now your pass protecting RB is out of the game.

What do you do? Run 3 times and risk missing a long FG and give the ball back to NE who already had the momentum and a shorter field or leave it in your MVP's hands and record breaking passing game?

Hard to argue that rationale...but then penalties and poor execution killed them there putting an already one-dimensional offense even further backed up and easier to defend.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 29, 2017 at 10:09 AM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

The D was terrible in that 2nd half.

Their D was already shaky in the 2nd half/ 4th qrt against the Seahawks and the Packers during that playoff run. Their offense extended their lead during that time to give them some breathing room. The collapse against the Pats wasn't surprising to me.

They needed one more TD out of that offense to win because their D wasn't stopping anything late. Don't follow the Falcons to know why that is.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 29, 2017 at 10:18 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Their D was already shaky in the 2nd half/ 4th qrt against the Seahawks and the Packers during that playoff run. Their offense extended their lead during that time to give them some breathing room. The collapse against the Pats wasn't surprising to me.

They needed one more TD out of that offense to win because their D wasn't stopping anything late. Don't follow the Falcons to know why that is.

Great point...that reality has to play into the offensive play calling too. You trust your kicker? Your defense there to hold?
Share 49ersWebzone