Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 171 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Shanny had 1 horrendous play call. He runs it 3 times, they kick the fg Atl probably wins by 11. Credit goes to NE though for scoring 16 on the final 2 drives. If you lose like that you should be looking at the d.

The D was terrible in that 2nd half.

So was the offense. They didn't score or run the clock out, eeither of which would have won them the game.

Shannon Sharpe:
I believe two things can be true. The Patriots absolutely won this game.

But you and I both know, the Falcons choked. There's no way of getting around that.

Skip, I don't know if you know this - when the Falcons got up 28-3, they ran the ball four times from that point on. Think about that. You're up 28-3 and you have four rush attempts from that point on.

Even if you just run the ball every single down and punt the ball away I don't believe the [Patriots] can catch you.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, this is why stats can be so deceiving out of context.

Coleman had 75 yards on 11 carries for a 6.8 yard average BUT had the bulk of that on his first 3 runs of the game. After half time, he and Freeman were destroyed, both combing for a 2.1 and 1.75 average on 9 carries (20 total yards). And then Coleman went out with injury at the 9:00 mark and everything changed. We also have to remember that it wasn't just the Pats adjusting so well but also Alex Mack was badly injured and by 4Q he was REALLY struggling and getting worse and worse.

In short, their run game was non-existent with most of those runs going for zero or negative yards and now your pass protecting RB is out of the game.

What do you do? Run 3 times and risk missing a long FG and give the ball back to NE who already had the momentum and a shorter field or leave it in your MVP's hands and record breaking passing game?

Hard to argue that rationale...but then penalties and poor execution killed them there putting an already one-dimensional offense even further backed up and easier to defend.

I wouldn't call 42 yards minus whatever they pick up on those 3 plays a long field goal. They're in range now and you run the ball 3 times because that's the easiest path to a win. They just had a sack/ fumble on the drive before that put NE back in the game you can't take that risk. Overaggressive play calling and it bit him in the @ss.

Majority of the blame goes to the d but you can criticize him for that play. It was a bad choice. At least run the ball on 1st and 2nd and then on 3rd you can open it up if need be.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 29, 2017 at 11:48 AM ]

Coleman had 75 yards on 11 carries for a 6.8 yard average BUT had the bulk of that on his first 3 runs of the game. After half time, he and Freeman were destroyed, both combing for a 2.1 and 1.75 average on 9 carries (20 total yards). And then Coleman went out with injury at the 9:00 mark and everything changed. We also have to remember that it wasn't just the Pats adjusting so well but also Alex Mack was badly injured and by 4Q he was REALLY struggling and getting worse and worse.

In short, their run game was non-existent with most of those runs going for zero or negative yards and now your pass protecting RB is out of the game.

What do you do? Run 3 times and risk missing a long FG and give the ball back to NE who already had the momentum and a shorter field or leave it in your MVP's hands and record breaking passing game?

Hard to argue that rationale...but then penalties and poor execution killed them there putting an already one-dimensional offense even further backed up and easier to defend.

I wouldn't call 42 yards minus whatever they pick up on those 3 plays a long field goal. They're in range now and you run the ball 3 times because that's the easiest path to a win. They just had a sack/ fumble on the drive before that put NE back in the game you can't take that risk. Overaggressive play calling and it bit him in the @ss.

Majority of the blame goes to the d but you can criticize him for that play. It was a bad choice. At least run the ball on 1st and 2nd and then on 3rd you can open it up if need be.

Up to that point, they were getting negative yards on their runs, their C could hardly walk and that would be predictable for the defense to tee off on (so catching them off guard is a Kyle M.O.).

I certainly understand the hindset perspective too though; just adding the context that lead up to that. If they get no yards there and miss, that's a very short field for Tom with 100% momentum at that point.

Obviously, to this day, we still hindsight on our own final 4 plays too. It sucks.
Young shanny will put up points

Up to that point, they were getting negative yards on their runs, their C could hardly walk and that would be predictable for the defense to tee off on (so catching them off guard is a Kyle M.O.).

I certainly understand the hindset perspective too though; just adding the context that lead up to that. If they get no yards there and miss, that's a very short field for Tom with 100% momentum at that point.

Obviously, to this day, we still hindsight on our own final 4 plays too. It sucks.

It was more than 4 plays that cost the Falcons. They didn't burn any clock in that second half.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

It was more than 4 plays that cost the Falcons. They didn't burn any clock in that second half.

What does that have to do with the play calling? They had the best passing offense in history and an MVP QB who had full audible control. It wasn't like they threw a slant at the goal line when Lynch was right there in his prime and with full momentum or even our final four scenario. Now THOSE are bad play calls.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 29, 2017 at 12:51 PM ]

What does that have to do with the play calling? They had the best passing offense in history and an MVP QB who had full audible control. It wasn't like they threw a slant at the goal line when Lynch was right there in his prime and with full momentum or even our final four scenario.

If they would have called some runs to kill the clock, they would have won.
Roman's Playcalling in the SB > Shanahan's Playcalling in the SB

I would still rather have Shanahan but I hope he knows deep down inside that he screwed the pooch royally so that he will not repeat those mistakes.
If they would have called some runs to kill the clock, they would have won.
Roman's Playcalling in the SB > Shanahan's Playcalling in the SB

I would still rather have Shanahan but I hope he knows deep down inside that he screwed the pooch royally so that he will not repeat those mistakes.

LOL...that's pretty funny. And possibly true too. I just can't say that with conviction under that context though. That area of the field is no man's land. It wouldn't surprise me if Bill Walsh, Mike Shanahan or Mike Holmgren would have passed there too to get in better field position and burn more clock as well.
I watched a lot of Falcon games last season and was surprised to learn how aggressive Kyle is as a play caller. The super bowl was not an isolated event. The guy goes for the kill in every game throughout the season.

Can't wait for the inevitable posts whining about being too aggressive this season. This is not your Granddaddy's WCO.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jun 29, 2017 at 1:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
I watched a lot of Falcon games last season and was surprised to learn how aggressive Kyle is as a play caller. The super bowl was not an isolated event. The guy goes for the kill in every game throughout the season.

Can't wait for the inevitable posts whining about being too aggressive this season. This is not your Granddaddy's WCO.

I fullllllly expect that as well.

He goes 3 runs, they miss a FG, everyone b***hes about how you take the ball out of your MVP's hands and put it into a change of pace back's hands behind a C with one leg when everyone knew what was coming.

Give me the OC who shows faith in his personnel and goes for the W. At least if you go down, you go down swinging.

He goes 3 runs, they miss a FG, everyone b***hes about how you take the ball out of your MVP's hands and put it into a change of pace back's hands behind a C with one leg when everyone knew what was coming.

Give me the OC who shows faith in his personnel and goes for the W. At least if you go down, you go down swinging.

Bryant was 9-9 from 40-49 in 2016, he would have made it.
Give me an OC with situational awareness.

LOL...not everyone performs the same under those kinds of lights...look at how the entire defense folded, OL started false starting/holding, couldn't block, dropping balls, etc.

Claiming any kicker makes it in that situation is, well, a Madden-like perspective.

#WideRight
#BuffaloBills
#RayFinkle
LOL...not everyone performs the same under those kinds of lights...look at how the entire defense folded, OL started false starting/holding, couldn't block, dropping balls, etc.

Claiming any kicker makes it in that situation is, well, a Madden-like perspective.

#WideRight
#BuffaloBills
#RayFinkle

How many of those kicks were in the 4th quarter of the SB. Man, Kyle trusted his MVP QB to not take a sack. All the subsequent play calls where based on the notions of not settling for a 50+ yard FG. This s**tting on Kyle is not as clear cut as some would like to make it out. Hell, a FG there doesn't ice the game anyway....ATL D was hemorrhaging yards and first downs at an historic rate.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 29, 2017 at 2:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners816:

#WideRight
#BuffaloBills
#RayFinkle

How many of those kicks were in the 4th quarter of the SB. Man, Kyle trusted his MVP QB to not take a sack. All the subsequent play calls where based on the notions of not settling for a 50 yard FG. This s**tting on Kyle is not as clear cut as some would like to make it out. Hell, a FG there doesn't ice the game anyway....ATL D was hemorrhaging yards and first downs at an historic rate.

For real.

And the story of Ray Finkle was based on true events.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/qzSprlf
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 29, 2017 at 3:59 PM ]

#WideRight
#BuffaloBills
#RayFinkle

Are you saying the right call was to only go for a TD no matter what the down and distance because the kicker might miss? His QB was not getting it done with the pass and the FG was a gimme.
Share 49ersWebzone