Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 208 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL...not everyone performs the same under those kinds of lights...look at how the entire defense folded, OL started false starting/holding, couldn't block, dropping balls, etc.

Claiming any kicker makes it in that situation is, well, a Madden-like perspective.

#WideRight
#BuffaloBills
#RayFinkle

How many of those kicks were in the 4th quarter of the SB. Man, Kyle trusted his MVP QB to not take a sack. All the subsequent play calls where based on the notions of not settling for a 50+ yard FG. This s**tting on Kyle is not as clear cut as some would like to make it out. Hell, a FG there doesn't ice the game anyway....ATL D was hemorrhaging yards and first downs at an historic rate.

And that was a mistake. Ryan had just been sacked (and coughed up the ball) on the series before and took five sacks in the game.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Niners816:
LOL...not everyone performs the same under those kinds of lights...look at how the entire defense folded, OL started false starting/holding, couldn't block, dropping balls, etc.

Claiming any kicker makes it in that situation is, well, a Madden-like perspective.

#WideRight
#BuffaloBills
#RayFinkle

How many of those kicks were in the 4th quarter of the SB. Man, Kyle trusted his MVP QB to not take a sack. All the subsequent play calls where based on the notions of not settling for a 50+ yard FG. This s**tting on Kyle is not as clear cut as some would like to make it out. Hell, a FG there doesn't ice the game anyway....ATL D was hemorrhaging yards and first downs at an historic rate.

And that was a mistake. Ryan had just been sacked (and coughed up the ball) on the series before and took five sacks in the game.

I like aggressive play calling, however, i didn't understand why they didn't even try more running plays to burn the clock.
Fighting against the clock would have put more pressure on the Pats.
Like you said, hopefully Kyle learned situational play calling from that SB loss.
Two big reasons I did want Atlanta to win...
Sick of the patriots winning and now Tom having more SB wins then Joe, and because i bet on the Falcons to win.
Are you saying the right call was to only go for a TD no matter what the down and distance because the kicker might miss? His QB was not getting it done with the pass and the FG was a gimme.

Who said anything about going for a TD? I said they were in no man's land FG range and they had a cold FG kicker who hadn't hit one all day sitting on the bench.

The defense was a sift giving up 570 yards and might as well have been playing flag football at that point. The running game was literally, going backwards the whole half and getting worse by the injury to Mack.

But what got them in FG range? Passing...39 yards to Freeman and 27 to Jones to the 22. And then, even in shotgun (Kyle adjusting), Flowers sacks Ryan for -13...now they are back to the 35...then holding (after a 9 yard pass/gain)...back to the 45.

Game over.

The Pats also scored a TD in less than 2 minutes right after that series so there was no guarantee even if they burned 120 seconds running, the Pats wouldn't tie it even after a made FG, and no doubt, they'd stop the clock anyway by calling a T.O. Plenty of time.

If I could find any criticism in the actual play calling itself, it would have been, once they got to the 22, throw on first down but on a very short route (Montana to Craig-style) and pick up 4 or so yards and make them burn a T.O. and inch closer. Maybe a roll out and if there, take it, if not throw it away --- either way, you can't take a sack there...or get a 10 yard holding penalty right after that. IIRC, even backed up, Ryan had Gabriel on the sidelines back in FG range but he dropped it?

They found a way to lose, incredibly.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 29, 2017 at 6:34 PM ]
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
I like aggressive play calling, however, i didn't understand why they didn't even try more running plays to burn the clock.
Like you said, hopefully Kyle learned situational play calling from that SB loss.
Sick of the patriots winning and now Tom having more SB wins then Joe, and because i bet on the Falcons to win.

I covered that a page or so ago.
Are you saying the right call was to only go for a TD no matter what the down and distance because the kicker might miss? His QB was not getting it done with the pass and the FG was a gimme.

Who said anything about going for a TD? I said they were in no man's land FG range and they had a cold FG kicker who hadn't hit one all day sitting on the bench.

The defense was a sift giving up 570 yards and might as well have been playing flag football at that point. The running game was literally, going backwards the whole half and getting worse by the injury to Mack.

But what got them in FG range? Passing...39 yards to Freeman and 27 to Jones to the 22. And then, even in shotgun (Kyle adjusting), Flowers sacks Ryan for -13...now they are back to the 35...then holding...back to the 45.

Game over.

The Pats also scored a TD in less than 2 minutes right after that series so there was no guarantee even if they burned 120 seconds running, the Pats wouldn't tie it even after a made FG, and no doubt, they'd stop the clock anyway by calling a T.O. Plenty of time.

If I could find any criticism in the actual play calling itself, it would have been, once they got to the 22, throw on first down but on a very short route (Montana to Craig-style) and pick up 4 or so yards and make them burn a T.O. and inch closer. Maybe a roll out and if there, take it, if not throw it away --- either way, you can't take a sack there...or get a 10 yard holding penalty right after that.

They found a way to lose, incredibly.

The 25 yard line is not no mans land, it is a gimme for Bryant. Not scoring any points and not controlling the clock at all on offense is not an incredible way to lose IMO.
I could see the sack coming a mile away, look how the previous drive ended.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jun 29, 2017 at 6:33 PM ]
The 25 yard line is not no mans land, it is a gimme for Bryant. Not scoring any points and not controlling the clock at all on offense is not an incredible way to lose IMO.
I could see the sack coming a mile away, look how the previous drive ended.

*sigh*

Woo...Pats score 3 points the whole first half and the game ends in a tie...but it's Kyle's play calling that's in question. LOL.

Wonder if Woo would be questioning Josh McDaniels if we hired him instead of Kyle... highly doubt that since they won.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 29, 2017 at 6:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
I watched a lot of Falcon games last season and was surprised to learn how aggressive Kyle is as a play caller. The super bowl was not an isolated event. The guy goes for the kill in every game throughout the season.

Can't wait for the inevitable posts whining about being too aggressive this season. This is not your Granddaddy's WCO.

I covered that a page or so ago.

I see your opinion why...

Still calling the run burns time off the clock. Can't call 4-5 run plays in entire 2nd half, especially end of third qtr with a favorable lead.
So did the center have 2 legs but only when it came to pass blocking? He can still kill you there too. You run the ball because losing 2 yards and chewing time is a heck of a lot better scenario then losing 10 like they did and being pushed out of field goal range. It's been pointed out 4 sacks already in the game and a sack fumble the drive before. If Shanny couldn't see that could happen he's blind. The game is over with a field goal if Bryant misses you can live with that. You can't be the one who choked the game though with an unnecessary play call.

I do think the d is to blame though. 1 stop is all you need on 2 drives, 2 2 point conversions.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 29, 2017 at 8:19 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
So did the center have 2 legs but only when it came to pass blocking? He can still kill you there too. You run the ball because losing 2 yards and chewing time is a heck of a lot better scenario then losing 10 like they did and being pushed out of field goal range. It's been pointed out 4 sacks already in the game and a sack fumble the drive before. If Shanny couldn't see that could happen he's blind. The game is over with a field goal if Bryant misses you can live with that. You can't be the one who choked the game though with an unnecessary play call.

Yeah, hence the shotgun...but yeah, even a moving pocket to one side or the other would have been better or quick screen; just an extension of the running game.

Nah, plenty of time even with a made FG. And if he missed it, Kyle would just be called out in another fashion.

Only the loser is called out but those were two great teams perfectly square to a tie... just a reversal of halfs and we all know Bellicheat is a master at half time adjustments and attacked Mack and Freeman. Kudos to their staffs recognition.

I see your opinion why...

Still calling the run burns time off the clock. Can't call 4-5 run plays in entire 2nd half, especially end of third qtr with a favorable lead.

You don't sleep on the Pats... ever. You go for a TD in the 3Q. Look how many points we had to score to beat them back in the day. Still, 28 points is almost double what the Pats normally give up...and even that proved, not to be enough.
Yeah, hence the shotgun...but yeah, even a moving pocket to one side or the other would have been better or quick screen; just an extension of the running game.

Nah, plenty of time even with a made FG. And if he missed it, Kyle would just be called out in another fashion.

Only the loser is called out but those were two great teams perfectly square to a tie... just a reversal of halfs and we all know Bellicheat is a master at half time adjustments and attacked Mack and Freeman. Kudos to their staffs recognition.

11 points in 4 minutes. If they pull that off kudos you live with it but it's 1 thing for the d to blow the game, it's one for the special teams to blow the game, here it was your play calling. You had them on the ropes and let them off the hook.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

11 points in 4 minutes. If they pull that off kudos you live with it but it's 1 thing for the d to blow the game, it's one for the special teams to blow the game, here it was your play calling. You had them on the ropes and let them off the hook.

They scored 8 in 2 minutes after the potential FG series. A FG is just a couple passes for Tom. But yeah, I certainly like the odds better with that FG. But I certainly wouldn't trust that defense at that point... go for the W. Crazy, even after the sack, they got the yards right back...but, holding negated it... then Gabriel after that. Just crazy...even when they make a play it's negated and then on the flip side, the defense can't make one single play...2 TD's and 2 two-point conversions and then the coin flip and immediate TD to end it. Has that series of events ever happened before?
Falcon defense collapsed. That's not on the OC. You want your OC to be aggressive.
They scored 8 in 2 minutes after the potential FG series. A FG is just a couple passes for Tom. But yeah, I certainly like the odds better with that FG. But I certainly wouldn't trust that defense at that point... go for the W. Crazy, even after the sack, they got the yards right back...but, holding negated it... then Gabriel after that. Just crazy...even when they make a play it's negated and then on the flip side, the defense can't make one single play...2 TD's and 2 two-point conversions and then the coin flip and immediate TD to end it. Has that series of events ever happened before?

If it was a 2 score game I don't see Brady marching down the field like that and getting the ball back and marching again. It becomes a different ballgame there with Atl just trying to get NE to bleed time off the clock. Prevent. They probably get the 8 but have to convert an onside for a serious chance. In a 8 point game with plenty of time Atl is playing to stop him and NE quickly marched down the field.
Share 49ersWebzone