Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 144 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by NCommand:
They scored 8 in 2 minutes after the potential FG series. A FG is just a couple passes for Tom. But yeah, I certainly like the odds better with that FG. But I certainly wouldn't trust that defense at that point... go for the W. Crazy, even after the sack, they got the yards right back...but, holding negated it... then Gabriel after that. Just crazy...even when they make a play it's negated and then on the flip side, the defense can't make one single play...2 TD's and 2 two-point conversions and then the coin flip and immediate TD to end it. Has that series of events ever happened before?

If it was a 2 score game I don't see Brady marching down the field like that and getting the ball back and marching again. It becomes a different ballgame there with Atl just trying to get NE to bleed time off the clock. Prevent. They probably get the 8 but have to convert an onside for a serious chance. In a 8 point game with plenty of time Atl is playing to stop him and NE quickly marched down the field.

You don't? Brady has made a career of doing just that time and time again. I agree the two scores in 4+ minutes certainly would have made it more challenging though.

That said, the impetus of this conversation was around play calling and at the most important time of the game, they got in FG range to the 22. Then the players eff'd up. You don't take a sack in that situation ever esp. from shotgun (clock running). Even after that, Kyle called another nice play that got them those yards right back...but then holding pushed them back to the 45 on that very play. That was not only a 19 yard swing but it stopped the clock. Kyle then had no choice but to pass from the 45 and Gabriel drops it.

So whether they ran it 3 straight times up the middle or passed it twice in the field like they did, the end result was pretty much the same (same distance and clock ticking down) BUT that critical holding call killed the chance of even attempting a FG that Woo guaranteed he'd make. That was only the second holding call that half too.

Will Kyle be more conservative with the play calling next time? Maybe...but probably not. They wouldn't have been a historic offense if he had that mentality. You do what got you there and if the execution is poor, you live with it.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 30, 2017 at 10:29 AM ]
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
The 25 yard line is not no mans land, it is a gimme for Bryant. Not scoring any points and not controlling the clock at all on offense is not an incredible way to lose IMO.
I could see the sack coming a mile away, look how the previous drive ended.

*sigh*

Woo...Pats score 3 points the whole first half and the game ends in a tie...but it's Kyle's play calling that's in question. LOL.

Wonder if Woo would be questioning Josh McDaniels if we hired him instead of Kyle... highly doubt that since they won.

🤔
You don't? Brady has made a career of doing just that time and time again. I agree the two scores in 4+ minutes certainly would have made it more challenging though.

That said, the impetus of this conversation was around play calling and at the most important time of the game, they got in FG range to the 22. Then the players eff'd up. You don't take a sack in that situation ever esp. from shotgun (clock running). Even after that, Kyle called another nice play that got them those yards right back...but then holding pushed them back to the 45 on that very play. That was not only a 19 yard swing but it stopped the clock. Kyle then had no choice but to pass from the 45 and Gabriel drops it.

So whether they ran it 3 straight times up the middle or passed it twice in the field like they did, the end result was pretty much the same (same distance and clock ticking down) BUT that critical holding call killed the chance of even attempting a FG that Woo guaranteed he'd make. That was only the second holding call that half too.

Will Kyle be more conservative with the play calling next time? Maybe...but probably not. They wouldn't have been a historic offense if he had that mentality. You do what got you there and if the execution is poor, you live with it.

How many times has he came back from 10+ with under 4 to go? I'm betting you can count that on 1 hand with multiple fingers to spare. The ending isn't the same it all. They're at the 22-25 and kicking a fg with either to's burnt or the clock spent. The following holding call is a result of the sack and being pushed back 10 yards and now needing to move the ball.

He f'd up as well by putting them in that position. You can say you don't take a sack ever it happens though. You're telling the qb to be aggressive with your playcalling and he has mental error. I think that's one he regrets too. I like the aggressive play calling but you do need to know when to dial it down. In field goal range, up 8 you have to ice it. Trust the kicker especially when he's given you no reason not to. 91% on the year.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 30, 2017 at 11:25 AM ]
How many times has he came back from 10+ with under 4 to go? I'm betting you can count that on 1 hand with multiple fingers to spare. The ending isn't the same it all. They're at the 22-25 and kicking a fg with either to's burnt or the clock spent. The following holding call is a result of the sack and being pushed back 10 yards and now needing to move the ball.

He f'd up as well by putting them in that position. You can say you don't take a sack ever it happens though. You're telling the qb to be aggressive with your playcalling and he has mental error.

Obviously we have the power of hindsight here. Agree to disagree (some) on this one but appreciate the discussion. Given the magnitude of the scenario, he and us will continue to live on it and ponder...like we're still doing from our own Superbowl issues as well. We had a chance to be the Patriots then (poor first half/electric second) but just couldn't finish like they did.

The difference for me was that Kyle's play calling got them twice as many points as the Pats usually give up and got them in FG range twice on the same series and the players shot themselves in the foot to end it. In ours, play calling gave the players no real chance to win on the final series.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 30, 2017 at 11:33 AM ]

He f'd up as well by putting them in that position. You can say you don't take a sack ever it happens though. You're telling the qb to be aggressive with your playcalling and he has mental error.

Meh who cares? They could have easily got a holding call on a run play as well. NE has all 3 TOs left (and 4 mins) plus ATL avg 2.6 YPC up until that PT in the 2nd half.

You tell the QB if there's no one open or the pocket collapses throw the damn ball away, Ryan didn't do that....also on that pass play to Sanu it worked lol, the LT got called for holding, but if not they would have had a chip shot.

Kyle simply thought he had a advantage passing the ball at that pt vs running....NE made the plays and ATLs defense couldn't stop a noise bleed the 2nd half....there's plenty of blame to go around.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 30, 2017 at 11:33 AM ]
Obviously we have the power of hindsight here. Agree to disagree (some) on this one but appreciate the discussion. Given the magnitude of the scenario, he and us will continue to live on it and ponder...like we're still doing from our own Superbowl issues as well. We had a chance to be the Patriots then (poor first half/electric second) but just couldn't finish like they did.

The difference for me was that Kyle's play calling got them twice as many points as the Pats usually give up and got them in FG range twice on the same series and the players shot themselves in the foot to end it. In ours, play calling gave the players no real chance to win.

We scored 31 against Baltimore so that's a wash. Personally I think Shanny's mistake was bigger than ours because the game was in the bag. He calls 3 kneel downs Super Bowl champions.

The difference for me was that Kyle's play calling got them twice as many points as the Pats usually give up and got them in FG range twice on the same series and the players shot themselves in the foot to end it. In ours, play calling gave the players no real chance to win.

We scored 31 against Baltimore so that's a wash. Personally I think Shanny's mistake was bigger than ours because the game was in the bag. He calls 3 kneel downs Super Bowl champions.

Now that is an interesting perspective.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Dat finger doe.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 30, 2017 at 3:22 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Dat finger doe.

I know right.I've never heard a word baldy's said. I just get hypnotized by the finger.

Originally posted by Andra:
I know right.I've never heard a word baldy's said. I just get hypnotized by the finger.

The worst is when he points one way but I'm looking the other direction. It's like a glass/lazy eye..."Oh, I'm sorry, you're taking to me?"
The worst is when he points one way but I'm looking the other direction. It's like a glass/lazy eye..."Oh, I'm sorry, you're taking to me?"

Lol. I dont even pay attention to wedding rings.. Yall on a whole different level haha.
I'm rewatching the Falcons 2016 season and here's what I'm noticing so far:

• Kyle's offense doesn't necessarily need a #1 All Pro WR. Matt Ryan spread the ball around pretty good between #2, 3 WR tight ends and RBs. Now I'm not saying we don't need one, because the success of those other guys depended on the attention that Julio demanded, but we shouldn't suffer from the lack of a true #1.
  • There's no such thing as a decoy in Kyle's offense. He will make you respect the deep threat by taking legit shots. Clearing route, my ass. You better cover our speed going down the field.
  • Juice and our tight-ends will be getting lots of work.
  • Kyle used a fair amount of zone read plays with Matt Ryan. Contrary to popular opinion, Matt Ryan is decently mobile. We'll see a lot of boot legs off of play action and maybe some zone read. It seems that the main reason Kap wasn't a fit for Kyles offense is it's complexity. If we had Russell Wilson instead, he would probably be a fit because he can make throws from the pocket as well.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
I'm rewatching the Falcons 2016 season and here's what I'm noticing so far:

• Kyle's offense doesn't necessarily need a #1 All Pro WR. Matt Ryan spread the ball around pretty good between #2, 3 WR tight ends and RBs. Now I'm not saying we don't need one, because the success of those other guys depended on the attention that Julio demanded, but we shouldn't suffer from the lack of a true #1.
  • There's no such thing as a decoy in Kyle's offense. He will make you respect the deep threat by taking legit shots. Clearing route, my ass. You better cover our speed going down the field.
  • Juice and our tight-ends will be getting lots of work.
  • Kyle used a fair amount of zone read plays with Matt Ryan. Contrary to popular opinion, Matt Ryan is decently mobile. We'll see a lot of boot legs off of play action and maybe some zone read. It seems that the main reason Kap wasn't a fit for Kyles offense is it's complexity. If we had Russell Wilson instead, he would probably be a fit because he can make throws from the pocket as well.

Share 49ersWebzone