Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 166 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
A terrific listen courtesy of Hero.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2722745-simms-lefkoe-podcast-kyle-shanahan-talks-super-bowl-redskins-front-office

It's interesting what he says on the audio. He says as an OC, he can't address what he wants to address and was always frustrated as an OC. Now that he is HC, it's a lot easier to address because he has control. I wonder if that's why he doesn't have an OC - and is taking those duties personally himself. Interesting insight there.

Very true. Play calls can be vetoed, other coaches can contribute to game plans, etc. He's in total control now though!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 22, 2017 at 8:14 AM ]
I can't help but be concerned about how efficient it will be with the head coach calling complex plays from the sidelines . Matt Ryan has been bellyaching about the delay in getting plays to the huddle , and that was with the traditional offensive coordinator arrangement. I hope the brain trust figures this one out before the season starts.
I hope Kyle understands now how *defense wins championships.*

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/107143-ryan-time-change-shanahans-play-calls-super-bowl/

I cant believe Ryan said this. What a loser. How is the QB going to blame the playcalling for a collapse like that? Shanahan's aggressive calls got them that huge lead in the first place. Ryan played a key role in screwing things up, and he's pointing the finger? Give me a break. Shanahan's offense made him the MVP.

This is why he'll never win, especially now without Shanahan's offense. In big moments he folds.
Originally posted by Niners99:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/107143-ryan-time-change-shanahans-play-calls-super-bowl/

I cant believe Ryan said this. What a loser. How is the QB going to blame the playcalling for a collapse like that? Shanahan's aggressive calls got them that huge lead in the first place. Ryan played a key role in screwing things up, and he's pointing the finger? Give me a break. Shanahan's offense made him the MVP.

This is why he'll never win, especially now without Shanahan's offense. In big moments he folds.

True, but we need to "eat the fish and spit out the bones." That is, there may be something to learn from Ryan's complaining.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

In the audio above too, Kyle noted on the 2nd and 10 he didn't expect taking a sack so yes, he would have liked to run it there. Between the RB1 going down with injury and only averaging .5 yards the second half, the RB1 going down to injury, the RB2 blowing his pass protection assignment, Ryan taking a sack and after getting right back to FG range afterwards but negated then by the holding penalty, it was a perfect storm of aggressive play calling and piss poor execution of shooting yourself in the foot.

No doubt, Kyle learned something from that.

PS: Another good point is the verbiage and the length of time getting play calls in.

I think we were lucky our first 5 super bowls, our teams were so deep that it took significant injuries before our team's performance was degraded. Nowadays, with parity throughout the league, one injury can really affect a team. Our last super bowl run, Ian's injury, then we had our TE injured, and finally Justin Smith's arm. Don't know much about that stuff other than I think we have, or should have, one of the best medical staffs in the NFL, with both UCSF and Stanford University right next door to the team. But as long as we keep knocking on the playoff door, the numbers will eventually bear out and we'll have our 6th. But we got to get that Franchise QB and that elite pass rusher before that happens.

Yeah, that aggressive play calling got them in FG range... twice. Like Kyle said, the Pats had committed to stopping the run big time and they did just that. From 7 yards a carry in the first half to .5.

It sounds to me like he's trying to take heat off himself from fans who are asking why he didn't just audible and check to a run.
I think we were lucky our first 5 super bowls, our teams were so deep that it took significant injuries before our team's performance was degraded. Nowadays, with parity throughout the league, one injury can really affect a team. Our last super bowl run, Ian's injury, then we had our TE injured, and finally Justin Smith's arm. Don't know much about that stuff other than I think we have, or should have, one of the best medical staffs in the NFL, with both UCSF and Stanford University right next door to the team. But as long as we keep knocking on the playoff door, the numbers will eventually bear out and we'll have our 6th. But we got to get that Franchise QB and that elite pass rusher before that happens.

100% agree. I've been trying to cover how decimated we've been by injuries over the years...it's not just about the injuries but the type (Bowman), to whom (Justin) and when (Kyle Williams because of the injury Ted Ginn).

Let's get back on track!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Yeah, that aggressive play calling got them in FG range... twice. Like Kyle said, the Pats had committed to stopping the run big time and they did just that. From 7 yards a carry in the first half to .5.

It sounds to me like he's trying to take heat off himself from fans who are asking why he didn't just audible and check to a run.

If teams are committed to stopping the run, usually a play action pass will screw that up. Having said that, I think their pass defense was the real culprit. I think if they had a stronger pass defense, Pats would be the ones moping the locker room and it would be Kyle and Company holding the Lombardi trophy. If you look at Pat's defense, statistically they were much superior to the Atlanta defense. Defense wins championships.

If teams are committed to stopping the run, usually a play action pass will screw that up. Having said that, I think their pass defense was the real culprit. I think if they had a stronger pass defense, Pats would be the ones moping the locker room and it would be Kyle and Company holding the Lombardi trophy. If you look at Pat's defense, statistically they were much superior to the Atlanta defense. Defense wins championships.

The Pats victory had nothing to do with one of the best QB's to ever play the game?

Good well rounded teams win championships. Tom Brady wins championships.
Going to be fun watching Matt Ryan drop a couple notches without Shanahan there. He'll still be good but I don't think their passing game will carry on as if nothing changed.

Matt Ryan seems to be full of it. Check out what Matt Maiocco had to say:

"If the Falcons were guilty of anything when it came to the play clock, it was that the offense did not waste more time. After New England pulled to within 28-9 late in the third quarter, the Falcons ran only six offensive plays while the game clock was running.

On those six plays, the Falcons snapped the ball with :13, :09, :14, :20, :13 and :04 remaining on the play clock. If they'd snapped the ball with one second remaining each time, they could have shortened the game by 1 minute, 7 seconds. The Patriots scored the game-tying touchdown with :57 remaining in regulation."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/taking-closer-look-ryans-criticism-shanahan?amp
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:

"If the Falcons were guilty of anything when it came to the play clock, it was that the offense did not waste more time. After New England pulled to within 28-9 late in the third quarter, the Falcons ran only six offensive plays while the game clock was running.

On those six plays, the Falcons snapped the ball with :13, :09, :14, :20, :13 and :04 remaining on the play clock. If they'd snapped the ball with one second remaining each time, they could have shortened the game by 1 minute, 7 seconds. The Patriots scored the game-tying touchdown with :57 remaining in regulation."

Boom. Easy to blame the guy not there anymore instead of Dan Quinn (560 yards = insane).
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 22, 2017 at 10:21 AM ]

Yup here's a still shot of the failed blitz pickup

Horrible play call my ass lol...good play call just need your players to perform.

Seems like a valid point to me.. why wouldn't you snap it with one second and run the clock down??
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

Seems like a valid point to me.. why wouldn't you snap it with one second and run the clock down??

I wonder if the moment got to Ryan. The way he describes Shanahan calling the offense (apparently not giving him enough time) combined with him snapping it with plenty of time on the play clock on multiple occasions—could have been nerves. Might explain why he's passing the blame around in throwing Shanny under the bus here.
Share 49ersWebzone