Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 188 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

I like how our HC didn't blame or even hint at throwing anyone of the Falcons under the bus... even now. He owned up to what he thought at the time would be good calls.

And most importantly he has moved on. He'll last longer as a coach with that mentality. It doesn't seemed to 'eat at him' like some other guys.
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
I wonder if the moment got to Ryan. The way he describes Shanahan calling the offense (apparently not giving him enough time) combined with him snapping it with plenty of time on the play clock on multiple occasions—could have been nerves. Might explain why he's passing the blame around in throwing Shanny under the bus here.

All i know is a QB like Tom Brady/Joe Montana doesn't make those mistakes with the same plays called/same situation.

They also don't blame the coaches..
Originally posted by genus49:
All i know is a QB like Tom Brady/Joe Montana doesn't make those mistakes with the same plays called/same situation.

Truth! Wins and greatness don't lie!
[ Edited by LZRD_WZRD on Jul 22, 2017 at 11:03 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I hope Kyle understands now how *defense wins championships.*

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/107143-ryan-time-change-shanahans-play-calls-super-bowl/

I cant believe Ryan said this. What a loser. How is the QB going to blame the playcalling for a collapse like that? Shanahan's aggressive calls got them that huge lead in the first place. Ryan played a key role in screwing things up, and he's pointing the finger? Give me a break. Shanahan's offense made him the MVP.

This is why he'll never win, especially now without Shanahan's offense. In big moments he folds.

Yeah, that aggressive play calling got them in FG range... twice. Like Kyle said, the Pats had committed to stopping the run big time and they did just that. From 7 yards a carry in the first half to .5.

It sounds to me like he's trying to take heat off himself from fans who are asking why he didn't just audible and check to a run.

Interviews like this separate the men from the boys amongst QB's. The men shoulder 100% of the blame, and vow to get back there and come out on top. The boys point fingers and mope about how someone else cost them a title.

Matt Ryan just proved that hes not on the level of the true leaders and winners at the QB position.

He totally missed the strong side blitz, and his RB whiffed on the block. The biggest moment of the game was a lapse in judgement by himself and his RB, not Kyle Shanahan. Dont cry because he left things in your hands and you screwed up.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Matt Ryan seems to be full of it. Check out what Matt Maiocco had to say:

"If the Falcons were guilty of anything when it came to the play clock, it was that the offense did not waste more time. After New England pulled to within 28-9 late in the third quarter, the Falcons ran only six offensive plays while the game clock was running.

On those six plays, the Falcons snapped the ball with :13, :09, :14, :20, :13 and :04 remaining on the play clock. If they'd snapped the ball with one second remaining each time, they could have shortened the game by 1 minute, 7 seconds. The Patriots scored the game-tying touchdown with :57 remaining in regulation."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/taking-closer-look-ryans-criticism-shanahan?amp

Yup here's a still shot of the failed blitz pickup

Horrible play call my ass lol...good play call just need your players to perform.
I'm beyond excited having Kyle be the hc and have his play calling expertise, it's gonna be real fun when we get a qb and explosive pieces to surround him. We'll get a glimpse of great play calling and fooling defenses this year even with an average to below average roster on o
I hope Kyle understands now how *defense wins championships.*

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/107143-ryan-time-change-shanahans-play-calls-super-bowl/

I cant believe Ryan said this. What a loser. How is the QB going to blame the playcalling for a collapse like that? Shanahan's aggressive calls got them that huge lead in the first place. Ryan played a key role in screwing things up, and he's pointing the finger? Give me a break. Shanahan's offense made him the MVP.

This is why he'll never win, especially now without Shanahan's offense. In big moments he folds.

Yeah, that aggressive play calling got them in FG range... twice. Like Kyle said, the Pats had committed to stopping the run big time and they did just that. From 7 yards a carry in the first half to .5.

It sounds to me like he's trying to take heat off himself from fans who are asking why he didn't just audible and check to a run.

Interviews like this separate the men from the boys amongst QB's. The men shoulder 100% of the blame, and vow to get back there and come out on top. The boys point fingers and mope about how someone else cost them a title.

Matt Ryan just proved that hes not on the level of the true leaders and winners at the QB position.

He totally missed the strong side blitz, and his RB whiffed on the block. The biggest moment of the game was a lapse in judgement by himself and his RB, not Kyle Shanahan. Dont cry because he left things in your hands and you screwed up.

You nailed it. Even AFTER the sack, Kyle called a play that got them right back in FG range but a holding negated it. Nobody talks about that though...or the fact the injured RB lead to a swing back being forced to pass protect and naturally, whiffed.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
I'm beyond excited having Kyle be the hc and have his play calling expertise, it's gonna be real fun when we get a qb and explosive pieces to surround him. We'll get a glimpse of great play calling and fooling defenses this year even with an average to below average roster on o

Agreed... even if the QB isn't dynamic, as long as he's fully competent, Kyle can item up the playbook and do what he does best.

Yep. Reminds me of Cam Newton blaming his teammates in postgame interviews and Kap sulking around, acting like a punk during the 2014 season. You can have all the talent in the world, but attitudes like that don't produce winners at the big stage.
https://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/16/defending-belichicks-fourth-down-decision/

When coaches have complete trust in their qb's, they put the game in their hands. Shanahan put the game in his MVP qb's hands. Great players make great plays in critical moments. Shanahan went for the win, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't mean it was the wrong call though.

It's hard to put but so much blame on Shanahan's shoulders as a playcaller when he tailored not just the most successful offense in Atlanta's history last season but one of the most successful in the NFL's history too. New England gave up an average of 15 points a game last season. Atlanta scored 28 in the super bowl.

The reason Atlanta lost is quite obvious. Maybe ask why Coach Smith's and Coach Quinn's defense gave up 31 points in one half or 546 yards in one game? Why did your running back who is asking to be paid as an elite back miss his block at the most crucial moment of the game? The finger pointing game can extend far beyond just Shanahan.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jul 22, 2017 at 1:00 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Matt Ryan seems to be full of it. Check out what Matt Maiocco had to say:

"If the Falcons were guilty of anything when it came to the play clock, it was that the offense did not waste more time. After New England pulled to within 28-9 late in the third quarter, the Falcons ran only six offensive plays while the game clock was running.

On those six plays, the Falcons snapped the ball with :13, :09, :14, :20, :13 and :04 remaining on the play clock. If they'd snapped the ball with one second remaining each time, they could have shortened the game by 1 minute, 7 seconds. The Patriots scored the game-tying touchdown with :57 remaining in regulation."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/taking-closer-look-ryans-criticism-shanahan?amp

Seems like a valid point to me.. why wouldn't you snap it with one second and run the clock down??

I wonder if the moment got to Ryan. The way he describes Shanahan calling the offense (apparently not giving him enough time) combined with him snapping it with plenty of time on the play clock on multiple occasions—could have been nerves. Might explain why he's passing the blame around in throwing Shanny under the bus here.

Ha Ha. Matty Ice melted under pressure!

I think we were lucky our first 5 super bowls, our teams were so deep that it took significant injuries before our team's performance was degraded. Nowadays, with parity throughout the league, one injury can really affect a team. Our last super bowl run, Ian's injury, then we had our TE injured, and finally Justin Smith's arm. Don't know much about that stuff other than I think we have, or should have, one of the best medical staffs in the NFL, with both UCSF and Stanford University right next door to the team. But as long as we keep knocking on the playoff door, the numbers will eventually bear out and we'll have our 6th. But we got to get that Franchise QB and that elite pass rusher before that happens.

100% agree. I've been trying to cover how decimated we've been by injuries over the years...it's not just about the injuries but the type (Bowman), to whom (Justin) and when (Kyle Williams because of the injury Ted Ginn).

Let's get back on track!

When we won 5 SBs, after each one my brother and I said yes we won, but we also were lucky. Why? Because we stayed healthy for the most part, If you lose a major player in your O or D, not to meniton 21 guys/ yr on IR the last 3 yrs here....then you are not going to have much of a team. No point in repeating what i said about Kyle's very first move here was to Change out trainers, and he brot his own in. In our glory yrs, our SB yrs, we were lucky healthwise. The last 3 yrs, but the last 17 yrs, overall, we have not done well healthwise...ok, there were a couple yrs where we did ok. But overall, esp last 3 yrs, we were snakebit...or so it seemed. Hence the old axiom....the PENDULUM always swings back. So this yr adn from here on out for awhile, it sure would be nice to have that pendulum stay over on our side for a chunk of yrs. Now, no question, having a good trainer makes a big difference so hopefully kyle took care of that already. Still you need to be lucky wiht health, and that is where i hope we now find ourselves.
Originally posted by genus49:

Yeah, Ryan didn't do himself any favors wth this comment. Sad. Let's hope it was taken out of context, beacuse otherwise, this was a comment to have kept to oneself.
Ryan was right Shanny made a mistake and cost them a SB. He could of called 3 knee downs and they'd be SB champs. That's blowing it when the play call you choose drives you out of fg range.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Ryan was right Shanny made a mistake and cost them a SB. He could of called 3 knee downs and they'd be SB champs. That's blowing it when the play call you choose drives you out of fg range.

Yup. Stupid play-calling. Hopefully he learned from it.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jul 22, 2017 at 2:40 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

We don't know this. Kick could've been blocked or missed, not like it was a 20 yard FG or something.

Lots of blame to go around in that game but players have to execute. Fumbling the ball away wasn't Kyle's playcall. Taking a huge sack wasn't Kyle's playcall.

The QB has to have situational awareness. Running the clock wasn't as critical as staying in FG range when Ryan ate the sack.
Share 49ersWebzone