Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 197 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Ryan acting like a lil b***h🤣 if you read the,article it directly disputes his lame as excuse
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Ryan was right Shanny made a mistake and cost them a SB. He could of called 3 knee downs and they'd be SB champs. That's blowing it when the play call you choose drives you out of fg range.

We don't know this. Kick could've been blocked or missed, not like it was a 20 yard FG or something.

Lots of blame to go around in that game but players have to execute. Fumbling the ball away wasn't Kyle's playcall. Taking a huge sack wasn't Kyle's playcall.

The QB has to have situational awareness. Running the clock wasn't as critical as staying in FG range when Ryan ate the sack.

Kyle put the SB in the hands of his MVP QB having an all time year. There's not a playcaller out there that wouldn't have done the same. Ryan taking the sack screwed up that sequence. I also don't buy the kneel it 3 times and you win narrative. There was still about 4 minutes left.
Ryan's response seemed whiny to me.
Gotta admire that Matt Ryan. He really comes across as the type of man that is going to take this setback and overcome, laying blame at the feet of the best OC he's ever had six months after the fact. Atlanta has A LOT of great talent so I expect them to be a good team for awhile. But is anyone expecting an offense anywhere near that level again? I hope we put it on them next time our paths cross.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Ryan was right Shanny made a mistake and cost them a SB. He could of called 3 knee downs and they'd be SB champs. That's blowing it when the play call you choose drives you out of fg range.

We don't know this. Kick could've been blocked or missed, not like it was a 20 yard FG or something.

Lots of blame to go around in that game but players have to execute. Fumbling the ball away wasn't Kyle's playcall. Taking a huge sack wasn't Kyle's playcall.

The QB has to have situational awareness. Running the clock wasn't as critical as staying in FG range when Ryan ate the sack.

Kyle put the SB in the hands of his MVP QB having an all time year. There's not a playcaller out there that wouldn't have done the same. Ryan taking the sack screwed up that sequence. I also don't buy the kneel it 3 times and you win narrative. There was still about 4 minutes left.

Yup. Young and TJ missed this by MB: "...Patriots scored the game-tying touchdown with :57 remaining in regulation." They scored in about 1.5 minutes. 560 yards. Plenty of time to score even IF they made the 40+ yard FG.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 22, 2017 at 7:30 PM ]

If your special teams blows it you live with that but as the offense you can't be the one who loses it. How about situational awareness from Shanny? It's an easy field goal the only way you can blow it is a sack, hold, fumble. A self enforced mistake. Passing is just riskier though. Now let's go back a drive how did NE get back in the game? A sack fumble. They've already been burned by being over aggressive. They did their job now run the ball 3 times and let the d and special teams finish it. It's not about running the clock out although that time would certainly help it's about making it a 2 score game. You have to trust that your kicker can make a 40 yarder. He didn't, he kept pushing and Bill broke his 1 legged center on a stunt, or Matty held the ball too long You can blame whatever player you want but the coach called the play. It's on him especially when the risk level is up.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 22, 2017 at 8:39 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yup. Young and TJ missed this by MB: "...Patriots scored the game-tying touchdown with :57 remaining in regulation." They scored in about 1.5 minutes. 560 yards. Plenty of time to score even IF they made the 40 yard FG.

When you'd have to recover an onside then drive 50 yards with no timeouts in under a minute that's not plenty of time. The make the kick and NE would essentially need a miracle.

If your special teams blows it you live with that but as the oc you can't be the one who loses it. How about situational awareness from Shanny? It's an easy field goal the only way you can blow it is a sack. Now let's go back a drive how did NE get back in the game? A sack fumble. They've already been burned by being over aggressive. You did your job now run the ball 3 times and let the d and special teams finish it. It's not about running the clock out although that time would certainly help it's about making it a 2 score game. You have to trust that your kicker can make a 40 yarder.

If freeman picks his guy up the way he supposed to they put their foot on the Pats throat. If it works he's a genius if it doesn't he's a dolt. I'll roll with the coach who plays to win. The Hawks juts lost a SB 2 years ago to the Pats with a 10 point lead until 7:55 in the 4th, with a muuuuch better defense, trying to run out the clock. There's no absolutes.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jul 22, 2017 at 8:44 PM ]

If your special teams blows it you live with that but as the offense you can't be the one who loses it. How about situational awareness from Shanny? It's an easy field goal the only way you can blow it is a sack, hold, fumble. A self enforced mistake. Passing is just riskier though. Now let's go back a drive how did NE get back in the game? A sack fumble. They've already been burned by being over aggressive. They did their job now run the ball 3 times and let the d and special teams finish it. It's not about running the clock out although that time would certainly help it's about making it a 2 score game. You have to trust that your kicker can make a 40 yarder. He didn't, he kept pushing and Bill broke his 1 legged center on a stunt, or Matty held the ball too long You can blame whatever player you want but the coach called the play. It's on him especially when the risk level is up.

How about freeman executes on a block and ryan throws a sure TD to a wide open Arob to put the game away

The HC can change the play just as well....kyle isn't the HC, how an OC gets the total blame for what happen is beyond me. Quinn is the HC for a reason.

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 22, 2017 at 8:48 PM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
If freeman picks his guy up the way he supposed to they put their foot on the Pats throat. If it works he's a genius if it doesn't he's a dolt. I'll roll with the coach who plays to win. The Hawks juts lost a SB 2 years ago to the Pats with a 10 point lead until 7:55 in the 4th, with a muuuuch better defense, trying to run out the clock. There's no absolutes.

You just going to look past that 4 minute difference because that's night and day. 8 minutes gives you 2 for sure drives. Under 4 minutes gives you a prayer for that 2nd drive. NE would have to score quickly then recover an onside which is under 20% possibility then drive again. I like that Shanny is aggressive and he's a great hire but he f'd up there. At some point you trust the d and special teams. 3 units win the game not 1.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
How about freeman executes on a block and ryan throws a sure TD to a wide open Arob to put the game away

The HC can change the play just as well....kyle isn't the HC, how an OC gets the total blame for what happen is beyond me. Quinn is the HC for a reason.

Doesn't matter how open he was though because the end result was that they gambled big and lost on the play putting NE back in the game. People can blame lack of execution all they want but perfection doesn't exist. Bill's scheming up plays creating those mistakes like Freeman looking inside and not catching Hightower until it was too late. You got to know when you're just better off playing it safe. I'm fine with gambling when you're up 15 but at the 23 needing a fg to ice it is definitely calling for safe play calling.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 22, 2017 at 9:49 PM ]
How's the view under there coach?

This may have been said...it may not have been...

But you know what really kills me about all of this blame being passed around? Is that the most basic things during the start of an offensive play need to be nailed down before the play can materialize.

Case in point...

If Devonte Freeman does his job and makes the block on Hightower. Robinson was 5 yards behind the defense and would have walked in to put the game away.

However, Freeman completely whiffs. Hightower gets a sack fumble. Falcons turn it over and the snowball begins rolling down the hill.

The basic functions of the play weren't even executed properly and somehow you're blaming the only OC that made you look like an elite quarterback???

Get
The
F*ck
Outta
Here
!!!!!!
NYNiner85 I apologize I just came to the thread and posted. I did not see your statement about the same thing.

Right on!
Doesn't matter how open he was though because the end result was that they gambled big and lost on the play putting NE back in the game. People can blame lack of execution all they want but perfection doesn't exist. Bill's scheming up plays creating those mistakes like Freeman looking inside and not catching Hightower until it was too late. You got to know when you're just better off playing it safe. I'm fine with gambling when you're up 15 but at the 23 needing a fg to ice it is definitely calling for safe play calling.

No actually it does matter if the play was executed like it was called up he had bill beat plain and simple... you can talk about playing it safe they could have very well have fumbled the ball, holding could get called, negative yards etc...avg 2.6 ypc running the ball the 2nd half. Please tell me the teams that have beat NE playing it safe? Like I said he's the OC not the HC how Quinn gets a pass on all of this is, is mind blowing.

They run the ball all second half and lose because the didn't put their foot on NE's throat (and the D still gives up 570 yards) then we'd talk about kyle being too conservative and not putting the ball in the MVP of the leagues hands.
Share 49ersWebzone