There are 94 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Doesn't matter how open he was though because the end result was that they gambled big and lost on the play putting NE back in the game. People can blame lack of execution all they want but perfection doesn't exist. Bill's scheming up plays creating those mistakes like Freeman looking inside and not catching Hightower until it was too late. You got to know when you're just better off playing it safe. I'm fine with gambling when you're up 15 but at the 23 needing a fg to ice it is definitely calling for safe play calling.

No actually it does matter if the play was executed like it was called up he had bill beat plain and simple... you can talk about playing it safe they could have very well have fumbled the ball, holding could get called, negative yards etc...avg 2.6 ypc running the ball the 2nd half. Please tell me the teams that have beat NE playing it safe? Like I said he's the OC not the HC how Quinn gets a pass on all of this is, is mind blowing.

They run the ball all second half and lose because the didn't put their foot on NE's throat (and the D still gives up 570 yards) then we'd talk about kyle being too conservative and not putting the ball in the MVP of the leagues hands.

Yeah, to me, when the Pats were putting 8-9 in the box and hellbent on stuffing the run and when your RB1 goes out to injury and your C is playing on one leg as best he can but getting worse by the minute and you've got an MVP QB who has thrived on pre snap reads and getting rid of the ball quickly, you have no choice as an OC.

Result: In the same series, he got his team in FG range...TWICE. His job is over at that point. If his players still find a way to knock themselves out of FG range, that's on the players, not the playcaller.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 23, 2017 at 5:38 AM ]
This pretty much debunks Ryan's myth. As the QB he had plenty of time to change plays or at least, run the clock down himself.

Two of Shanahan's plays calls, which directly led to the collapse, will forever be scrutinized.

The first came with 8:31 remaining in regulation and the Falcons holding a 28-12 lead. On third and 1 from the Atlanta 36, Shanahan did not remain conservative with an expected run play. He swung for the fence.

Receiver Aldrick Robinson, whom the 49ers added this offseason as a free-agent pickup, was breaking free past the Patriots secondary for what could have been a touchdown. But just as Ryan was unloading, New England linebacker Dont'a Hightower hit him and forced the fumble. Running back Devonta Freeman whiffed on blitz pickup, which would have provided Ryan with enough time to target Robinson deep.

Ryan's explanation does not appear applicable on this play, though. In watching the replay, the Falcons broke the huddle with more than 25 seconds remaining on the play clock and the snap occurred with :15 to spare.

The other questionable sequence came after the Falcons – leading by eight points -- got to the New England 22-yard line with less than five minutes to play. The Falcons lost 1 yard on a run play on first down.

On second down, Ryan was sacked for a 12-yard loss. Before that play, the Falcons broke the huddle with :19 on the play clock. The snap occurred with :04 remaining. The game clock was running, so the Falcons had reason to attempt to burn as much clock as possible.

In the fourth quarter, the Falcons never seemed rushed to get off a play. The closest they came to delay-of-game penalties were when they snapped the ball with :04 on the one play and :03 another time. The majority of their snaps occurred with :10 or more seconds to spare.

If the Falcons were guilty of anything when it came to the play clock, it was that the offense did not waste more time. After New England pulled to within 28-9 late in the third quarter, the Falcons ran only six offensive plays while the game clock was running.

On those six plays, the Falcons snapped the ball with :13, :09, :14, :20, :13 and :04 remaining on the play clock. If they'd snapped the ball with one second remaining each time, they could have shortened the game by 1 minute, 7 seconds. The Patriots scored the game-tying touchdown with :57 remaining in regulation.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/goto.php?id=107146
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 23, 2017 at 5:49 AM ]
No actually it does matter if the play was executed like it was called up he had bill beat plain and simple... you can talk about playing it safe they could have very well have fumbled the ball, holding could get called, negative yards etc...avg 2.6 ypc running the ball the 2nd half. Please tell me the teams that have beat NE playing it safe? Like I said he's the OC not the HC how Quinn gets a pass on all of this is, is mind blowing.

They run the ball all second half and lose because the didn't put their foot on NE's throat (and the D still gives up 570 yards) then we'd talk about kyle being too conservative and not putting the ball in the MVP of the leagues hands.

Well the two teams that beat them in the SB scored under 22 both times so how many teams have beat them playing balls to the wall? That's not a proven recipe either. They were up 3 scores in the 2nd half and they're panicking to finish them off ended up contributing to NE's comeback.

But it wasn't executed like it was called up since a block was missed. Sh happens. More sh could of happened too since it's not like a 50 yard pass is a gimme. I didn't even criticize the play call because they're up 16 but the next time you got to put up points and can't be over aggressive. A sack play on a pass is much more common then a hold on a rush/ fumble. Not too mention you're failing to run off time/ to's. They lost going for the throat plain and simple.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 23, 2017 at 6:05 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, to me, when the Pats were putting 8-9 in the box and hellbent on stuffing the run and when your RB1 goes out to injury and your C is playing on one leg as best he can but getting worse by the minute and you've got an MVP QB who has thrived on pre snap reads and getting rid of the ball quickly, you have no choice as an OC.

Result: In the same series, he got his team in FG range...TWICE. His job is over at that point. If his players still find a way to knock themselves out of FG range, that's on the players, not the playcaller.

Mack is the guy who got beat on the 2nd sack. The one legged center effects the pass too.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
NYNiner85 I apologize I just came to the thread and posted. I did not see your statement about the same thing.

Right on!

All good

how people can't put some blame on the players for not executing well planned out plays is crazy talk.

How Quinn gets next to nothing as far as blame goes is crazy. it was a b***h move by ryan imo...kyle helps you become MVP and then you blame him for the loss? Last I saw they fired their DC and I'd bet money they wouldn't have fired kyle lol.

You give up 570 yards to NE don't ever expect to win, especially with "playing it safe."
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 23, 2017 at 7:08 AM ]
Well the two teams that beat them in the SB scored under 22 both times so how many teams have beat them playing balls to the wall? That's not a proven recipe either. They were up 3 scores in the 2nd half and they're panicking to finish them off ended up contributing to NE's comeback.

But it wasn't executed like it was called up since a block was missed. Sh happens. More sh could of happened too since it's not like a 50 yard pass is a gimme. I didn't even criticize the play call because they're up 16 but the next time you got to put up points and can't be over aggressive. A sack play on a pass is much more common then a hold on a rush/ fumble. Not too mention you're failing to run off time/ to's. They lost going for the throat plain and simple.

Please tell me if those NY teams gave up 570 yards? I'll save you the google search, nope AND they STILL had to make two amazing throws to beat them. ATL's D couldn't even sniff those NY defenses. Like I said teams don't beat NE by playing like little b***hes. Tom Brady has proven it over and over.

I totally disagree a sack is more common than a hold on a running play. NE had 3 TOs and 4 mins on the clock it's not like the game was close to over even if they kicked a FG. Like I said they avg 2.6 yds per carry the second half of the game they weren't getting anywhere, NE was stopping the run at will....no execution. We'd be having he same convo if all they did was play it safe and lose as well.

I'd rather my OC put it in the hands of my MVP and let them make a play like they've been doing all yr...Bill played the run and if there wasn't a hold Sanu had them in FG range anyway...the play worked but all the players didn't execute it. That's not on the play call imo.

It seems to me ATL is taking the b***h way out putting all the blame on a guy who's not there, but was one of the main reasons they were there to begin with. Quinn needs to man up.

End of the day I really don't care cause it wasn't our team lol...I would rather have a confident coach that thinks he can put a game away, then play it safe and hope your D that got butt raped all 2nd half would magically show up. They got to the SB on that offense not the defense.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 23, 2017 at 7:25 AM ]
Please tell me if those NY teams gave up 570 yards? I'll save you the google search, nope AND they STILL had to make two amazing throws to beat them. ATL's D couldn't even sniff those NY defenses. Like I said teams don't beat NE by playing like little b***hes. Tom Brady has proven it over and over.

I totally disagree a sack is more common than a hold on a running play. NE had 3 TOs and 4 mins on the clock it's not like the game was close to over even if they kicked a FG. Like I said they avg 2.6 yds per carry the second half of the game they weren't getting anywhere, NE was stopping the run at will....no execution. We'd be having he same convo if all they did was play it safe and lose as well.

I'd rather my OC put it in the hands of my MVP and let them make a play like they've been doing all yr...Bill played the run and if there wasn't a hold Sanu had them in FG range anyway...the play worked but all the players didn't execute it. That's not on the play call imo.

It seems to me ATL is taking the b***h way out putting all the blame on a guy who's not there, but was one of the main reasons they were there to begin with. Quinn needs to man up.

End of the day I really don't care cause it wasn't our team lol...I would rather have a confident coach that thinks he can put a game away, then play it safe and hope your D that got butt raped all 2nd half would magically show up. They got to the SB on that offense not the defense.

You just implied you had to play aggressive offensively to beat NE but the only team to topple them beat them with d. They did not beat them because they were up 16 and continued to chuck it deep. That never happened. I agree Atl are not the Giants defensively and they got to play their own game but they only gave up 12 points in 3 quarters before that fumble gift wrapped NE 8. I'm not criticizing that play though just noting that Atl should of saw how that over aggressiveness put NE back in the game you can't make that mistake again.

NE could stop the ball all they want the next 3 plays it doesn't change the fact Atl was already in field goal range. With 4 minutes and counting an 11 point comeback would basically require a miracle. They would need a long drive in under 2 and an onside recovery. The MVP already did his job, now you trust your 91% kicker to seal the deal.

I'm not hating on the hire though and I like an aggressive coach in spots. Not there. Get the points and greater probability to win.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 23, 2017 at 8:21 AM ]
Lots of woulda , coulda, shouldas, but when was the last time we had an OC of this caliber? Seriously, when? Well, could it have been GOAT Coach Walsh or was it Kyle's dad, Mike? One of the two, at least to me. That makes it what 30-37 yrs ago? Folks who are looking solely at our talent and saying we get just 4-6 Ws are forgetting just how important that once in a lifetime fantastic OC can be for a team. I'm down for .500 ball, but don't feel stupid making that guesstimate....and it surely is a guess....with no FR QB, no #1WR, and question marks aplenty at DB. Odds are we get one good defender at DB, but if we got 2? then it all comes down to how long it takes the front 7 to establish itself ( and for me that happens well before mid season) , then how long for the OL to become dominant (and they will), leaving it all at the doorstep of our Qb.

With hoyer, just before TC and PS opens, i expect a C+ performance in TC and hope for a B- performance in PS. Regardless of what happened in the SB, and whose fault it was, our OC/HC took full reponsibility for the loss, he called a brilliant game....and now he is OUR game planner and playcaller. We may have a C+ or B- qb, but with kyle calling plays, i think it makes our QB a full grade better , comparatively. I think htat suggests we do way better than our no FR QB , no #1 WR team is given credit for. OL, Front 7, just need time, but they will get there. DB play could make us...or "BRAKE" us. Yes Saleh is green, but i seriously believe he is out to prove himself and his D to everyone. By rights our Health issues are now in the rear view mirror, with a fix at the Trainer slot...and bottom line....we are going to be grossly under appreciated by the rest of the league. Many are looking at 1-2 Ws up to the bye. I think we do way better than that.

And that's a good thing. We may not sneak up on anybody, but i think every team we play has a W marked down when they play us....at their own peril. That's also why i see .500 ball.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Niners99:
I hope Kyle understands now how *defense wins championships.*

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/107143-ryan-time-change-shanahans-play-calls-super-bowl/

I cant believe Ryan said this. What a loser. How is the QB going to blame the playcalling for a collapse like that? Shanahan's aggressive calls got them that huge lead in the first place. Ryan played a key role in screwing things up, and he's pointing the finger? Give me a break. Shanahan's offense made him the MVP.

This is why he'll never win, especially now without Shanahan's offense. In big moments he folds.

Yeah, that aggressive play calling got them in FG range... twice. Like Kyle said, the Pats had committed to stopping the run big time and they did just that. From 7 yards a carry in the first half to .5.

It sounds to me like he's trying to take heat off himself from fans who are asking why he didn't just audible and check to a run.

If teams are committed to stopping the run, usually a play action pass will screw that up. Having said that, I think their pass defense was the real culprit. I think if they had a stronger pass defense, Pats would be the ones moping the locker room and it would be Kyle and Company holding the Lombardi trophy. If you look at Pat's defense, statistically they were much superior to the Atlanta defense. Defense wins championships.

The Pats victory had nothing to do with one of the best QB's to ever play the game?

Good well rounded teams win championships. Tom Brady wins championships.

No. Teams with elite defenses and good offenses win superbowls. You can say "well rounded" but that's glossing over the fact that it's the defense that wins you championships.

Mack is the guy who got beat on the 2nd sack. The one legged center effects the pass too.

Agreed which is why Kyle moved Ryan to shotgun.

No. Teams with elite defenses and good offenses win superbowls. You can say "well rounded" but that's glossing over the fact that it's the defense that wins you championships.

You don't need to have an elite D. You just have to play good D.

We have seen plenty of elite defenses get owned in the Superbowl. 9ers D did just a few years back.

The Giants D was not elite but was good and really stepped up both games. Spagnulo did a great job.

Atlanta's D stayed on the field too long. Kyle did not manage the lead properly. Some very questionable calls. Also no idea why they were snapping the ball with plenty of time left on the clock.

Hopefully Kyle learned from his mistakes but he does strike me as a cocky guy and I've felt this way for many years.
You just implied you had to play aggressive offensively to beat NE but the only team to topple them beat them with d. They did not beat them because they were up 16 and continued to chuck it deep. That never happened. I agree Atl are not the Giants defensively and they got to play their own game but they only gave up 12 points in 3 quarters before that fumble gift wrapped NE 8. I'm not criticizing that play though just noting that Atl should of saw how that over aggressiveness put NE back in the game you can't make that mistake again.

NE could stop the ball all they want the next 3 plays it doesn't change the fact Atl was already in field goal range. With 4 minutes and counting an 11 point comeback would basically require a miracle. They would need a long drive in under 2 and an onside recovery. The MVP already did his job, now you trust your 91% kicker to seal the deal.

I'm not hating on the hire though and I like an aggressive coach in spots. Not there. Get the points and greater probability to win.

No I'm implying that if your D gives up almost 600 yards your offense had better be playing aggressive...you have no proof to say the OL doesn't get called for a hold on a running play. How about the D stops them that last drive in regulation? How about that D stops them in overtime? How about Quinn says let's run down the clock? Where the hell is he in all this?

Bill was giving them the pass play and the leagues best offense needs to execute the play call, if they do they win plain and simple. Arob had his man beat by at least two steps and Sunu had them in FG range if not for the hold call.

Maybe if the had NY's D they don't have to play so aggressive offensively but they don't. Hell ryan only threw the ball 23 times.

This is my last post on this topic because end of the day I could careless about the falcons. My issue is how kyle has taken the majority of the blame for this yet the HC has the final say, especially in the f**king SB. That D played awful the second half, yet no one blinks an eye on it and Quinn is a defensive guru!
No I'm implying that if your D gives up almost 600 yards your offense had better be playing aggressive...you have no proof to say the OL doesn't get called for a hold on a running play. How about the D stops them that last drive in regulation? How about that D stops them in overtime? How about Quinn says let's run down the clock? Where the hell is he in all this?

Bill was giving them the pass play and the leagues best offense needs to execute the play call, if they do they win plain and simple. Arob had his man beat by at least two steps and Sunu had them in FG range if not for the hold call.

Maybe if the had NY's D they don't have to play so aggressive offensively but they don't. Hell ryan only threw the ball 23 times.

This is my last post on this topic because end of the day I could careless about the falcons. My issue is how kyle has taken the majority of the blame for this yet the HC has the final say, especially in the f**king SB. That D played awful the second half, yet no one blinks an eye on it and Quinn is a defensive guru!

He made multuole huge mistakes, any one correct decision would have won it. Burn a little clock, kick a FG...Game over. No points scored and rhe offense didn't burn any clock in that half.
It was a big choke. Hopefully he is not too stubborn to realize his mistakes and will be a better coach because of them.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Lots of woulda , coulda, shouldas, but when was the last time we had an OC of this caliber? Seriously, when? Well, could it have been GOAT Coach Walsh or was it Kyle's dad, Mike? One of the two, at least to me. That makes it what 30-37 yrs ago? Folks who are looking solely at our talent and saying we get just 4-6 Ws are forgetting just how important that once in a lifetime fantastic OC can be for a team. I'm down for .500 ball, but don't feel stupid making that guesstimate....and it surely is a guess....with no FR QB, no #1WR, and question marks aplenty at DB. Odds are we get one good defender at DB, but if we got 2? then it all comes down to how long it takes the front 7 to establish itself ( and for me that happens well before mid season) , then how long for the OL to become dominant (and they will), leaving it all at the doorstep of our Qb.

With hoyer, just before TC and PS opens, i expect a C+ performance in TC and hope for a B- performance in PS. Regardless of what happened in the SB, and whose fault it was, our OC/HC took full reponsibility for the loss, he called a brilliant game....and now he is OUR game planner and playcaller. We may have a C+ or B- qb, but with kyle calling plays, i think it makes our QB a full grade better , comparatively. I think htat suggests we do way better than our no FR QB , no #1 WR team is given credit for. OL, Front 7, just need time, but they will get there. DB play could make us...or "BRAKE" us. Yes Saleh is green, but i seriously believe he is out to prove himself and his D to everyone. By rights our Health issues are now in the rear view mirror, with a fix at the Trainer slot...and bottom line....we are going to be grossly under appreciated by the rest of the league. Many are looking at 1-2 Ws up to the bye. I think we do way better than that.

And that's a good thing. We may not sneak up on anybody, but i think every team we play has a W marked down when they play us....at their own peril. That's also why i see .500 ball.
Good post!

I don't see us at 500 ball - close, but not quite there

BUT I don't see us getting blown out or destroyed in every facet of the game like we have in the last few years.

It used to be so demoralizing to watch so many 3 & outs and then our D get worked over.

We were out played and out coached so often it was worse than embarrassing. Then to add salt in the wounds - the Failaake drafts.

Now we'll have a fighting chance and year one of the Return begins.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
He made multuole huge mistakes, any one correct decision would have won it. Burn a little clock, kick a FG...Game over. No points scored and rhe offense didn't burn any clock in that half.
It was a big choke. Hopefully he is not too stubborn to realize his mistakes and will be a better coach because of them.

Man I didn't realize he was the head coach of the falcons
Share 49ersWebzone