Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 181 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by NYniner85:
No I'm implying that if your D gives up almost 600 yards your offense had better be playing aggressive...you have no proof to say the OL doesn't get called for a hold on a running play. How about the D stops them that last drive in regulation? How about that D stops them in overtime? How about Quinn says let's run down the clock? Where the hell is he in all this?

Bill was giving them the pass play and the leagues best offense needs to execute the play call, if they do they win plain and simple. Arob had his man beat by at least two steps and Sunu had them in FG range if not for the hold call.

Maybe if the had NY's D they don't have to play so aggressive offensively but they don't. Hell ryan only threw the ball 23 times.

This is my last post on this topic because end of the day I could careless about the falcons. My issue is how kyle has taken the majority of the blame for this yet the HC has the final say, especially in the f**king SB. That D played awful the second half, yet no one blinks an eye on it and Quinn is a defensive guru!

Ryan was sacked on 5 different occasions and add in holding call. Let me know how many severe negative plays happened when Atl ran the ball. Yeah a holding call or fumble could happen but it's about 10x more likely on a pass which just requires more risk. Like I said Shanny could of called 3 kneel downs not that any coach would do that and that would of secured the game. You play it safe and call the safest play you got, bleed the clock, and that's not a deep dropback. Maybe they were going for 1 more 1st and a little more time but it was still too aggressive and they paid the price.

Nobody is blaming it all on Shanny but he's accountable for his end and he came up short. He takes the majority to blame just like Carroll because it's the last self enforced error.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 23, 2017 at 10:39 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Ryan was sacked on 5 different occasions and add in holding call. Let me know how many severe negative plays happened when Atl ran the ball. Yeah a holding call or fumble could happen but it's about 10x more likely on a pass which just requires more risk. Like I said Shanny could of called 3 kneel downs not that any coach would do that and that would of secured the game. You play it safe and call the safest play you got, bleed the clock, and that's not a deep dropback. Maybe they were going for 1 more 1st and a little more time but it was still too aggressive and they paid the price.

Nobody is blaming it all on Shanny but he's accountable for his end and he came up short. He takes the majority to blame just like Carroll because it's the last self enforced error.

Isn't this ironic. Kyle is an OC who's play calling got them twice in FG range...Ryan is the QB who can let the plays tick down to 1 second and burn the clock down even further even if they did go backwards...like they did. Pete is a HC. Who's the HC of the Falcons?
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 23, 2017 at 10:53 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Isn't this ironic. Kyle is an OC who's play calling got them twice in FG range...Ryan is the QB who can let the plays tick down to 1 second and burn the clock down even further even if they did go backwards...like they did. Pete is a HC. Who's the HC of the Falcons?

Did Quinn call the play? How much credit did Quinn get for Atl's #1 offense? No, and none and that's why Shanny is also going to take the final blame for any offensive failures as well. With Carroll it was coming out of a timeout and he admittedly signed off on the play, Bevell's a no name.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Did Quinn call the play? How much credit did Quinn get for Atl's #1 offense? No, and none and that's why Shanny is also going to take the final blame for any offensive failures as well. With Carroll it was coming out of a timeout and he admittedly signed off on the play, Bevell's a no name.

I hear you but Kyle IS the one being blamed here (in part, because he's gone from the organization). Nobody else.

Again, if his play calling had not gotten them in position to 1) Win the game with a FG or TD all half and 2) Be in positon to burn the clock, I'd happily put blame on him. But that was not the case at all.

If we're only going to blame the offense then Kyle did his job...Period. Player execution was clearly the main reason they lost (OL couldn't run, player missed a crucial block, holding after getting back in FG range, MVP QB not running down the clock or audibling, etc).

Let's face it, if Kyle had 1% confidence in the running game at that point, he would have run.

Now, having full hindsight, was it YOUR preferred method of play calling? No and I get that but like a topped 9 iron that rolls up to within 3 inches from the cup, there's many ways to get there. And the fact remains, he got them there. The players just couldn't finish.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 23, 2017 at 11:40 AM ]

How many sacks prior to the whiffed block? Wait so Carroll takes the blame for the screw up but Bevell who's been talked about as their amazing OC doesn't get any??? thats BS imo...Quinn is the HC not kyle and he's the one that ultimately has final say not kyle...Quinn is just to blame if not more if he didn't jump in.

How many sacks prior to the whiffed block? Wait so Carroll takes the blame for the screw up but Bevell who's been talked about as their amazing OC doesn't get any??? thats BS imo...Quinn is the HC not kyle and he's the one that ultimately has final say not kyle...Quinn is just to blame if not more if he didn't jump in.

Bottom line to me is that Kyle was only in charge of one aspect of the game. He didn't run defense or special teams. To put the majority of the blame on him isn't realistic.
No I'm implying that if your D gives up almost 600 yards your offense had better be playing aggressive...you have no proof to say the OL doesn't get called for a hold on a running play. How about the D stops them that last drive in regulation? How about that D stops them in overtime? How about Quinn says let's run down the clock? Where the hell is he in all this?

Bill was giving them the pass play and the leagues best offense needs to execute the play call, if they do they win plain and simple. Arob had his man beat by at least two steps and Sunu had them in FG range if not for the hold call.

Maybe if the had NY's D they don't have to play so aggressive offensively but they don't. Hell ryan only threw the ball 23 times.

This is my last post on this topic because end of the day I could careless about the falcons. My issue is how kyle has taken the majority of the blame for this yet the HC has the final say, especially in the f**king SB. That D played awful the second half, yet no one blinks an eye on it and Quinn is a defensive guru!

Second half run results:

Boy, I wonder why the OC lost confidence in his ground game. 10 carries for 17 yards and half of them resulted in no yards or negative gains.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jul 23, 2017 at 12:24 PM ]
Originally posted by mojave45:
Bottom line to me is that Kyle was only in charge of one aspect of the game. He didn't run defense or special teams. To put the majority of the blame on him isn't realistic.

That's what I'm saying...was it a bit gutsy sure but there was 4 mins left and 3 TO (and two min warning I believe)...that D was getting murdered.

No one else took blame for anything which is absurd. A HC has final say in everything any if he doesn't then he's not a HC IMO.
Obv he has to shoulder his load of the blame, he was calling the plays. And I'm sure everyone remembers the reports about Kyle saying he messed up to those close to him after the game. He takes responsibility for it and lives with no regrets.

As a niner fan, I am glad it happened. Seems like the ultimate learning moment for a first time head coach. Hopefully that can be accumlated to Josh McDaniel's one year in Denver. So thankful we got Kyle. So thankful our head coach is an elite play caller.
[ Edited by HarboutTHAT on Jul 23, 2017 at 1:52 PM ]
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
Obv he has to shoulder his load of the blame, he was calling the plays. And I'm sure everyone remembers the reports about Kyle saying he messed up to those close to him after the game. He takes responsibility for it and lives with no regrets.

As a niner fan, I am glad it happened. Seems like the ultimate learning moment for a first time head coach. Hopefully that can be accumlated to Josh McDaniel's one year in Denver. So thankful we got Kyle. So thankful our head coach is an elite play caller.

+1

Plus it will be much more sweeter for Kyle when he wins his first Super bowl in SF
[ Edited by 49ersFanCJinPA on Jul 23, 2017 at 2:39 PM ]

Well 4 before the game killer which is the actual play I'm criticizing. Has Bevell even been interviewed for head coach? He did get criticized for that play but he's not that big of a target and again Seattle was coming off a to so you have Carroll going over it with him. You want to blame Quinn as well fine it's still Shanny's play call and you know it. He made a mistake that blew the game.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Second half run results:

Boy, I wonder why the OC lost confidence in his ground game. 10 carries for 17 yards and half of them resulted in no yards or negative gains.

Not one of those plays puts them out of field goal range though. The confidence should be in the kicker and the d to close out a game that should of been in the bag.

Time to move on though that's for the Falcons to be p*seed at not for us to care.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 23, 2017 at 2:51 PM ]
Well 4 before the game killer which is the actual play I'm criticizing. Has Bevell even been interviewed for head coach? He did get criticized for that play but he's not that big of a target and again Seattle was coming off a to so you have Carroll going over it with him. You want to blame Quinn as well fine it's still Shanny's play call and you know it. He made a mistake that blew the game.

He had 3 before the missed block. What does bevell being interviewed for a HC job have to do with anything? Even if kyle wasn't getting a HC job he would have still got the blame for it mainly in part because of his last name.... Carroll maned up and acted like a HC and took ownership for it.

Quinn did say this after the game on passing it...

"Well, we thought we'd have a good look based on the personnel that was in the game for them. We trust our guys, so we thought that was the opportunity to let it rip" so he agreed with the play call no? How he doesn't get blame for it blows my mind, much like what happened with Carroll.

I love how you say blew the game like he was in charge of the defense or allowed Tom to roll down the field to tie it up or let them rolll down the field in OT...lol he's a OC not the HC.

I guess we need to blame Deen Pees (DC NE) for giving up that pass and blowing the SB in 2008 or patrica who was the defensive play caller when the lost again to the giants last min, no?
Not one of those plays puts them out of field goal range though. The confidence should be in the kicker and the d to close out a game that should of been in the bag.

Time to move on though that's for the Falcons to be p*seed at not for us to care.

How do you have confidence in a D that gave up 570 yards and a 3 to 21 lead?

A FG doesn't guarantee a win there no matter how much Matt Ryan and Atlanta fans want to believe. 11 points in 3:30-40 is not iced. it was 2nd and 11 after yet another negative run. As a playcaller, you are trying to get a convertible 3rd down because a first down there does more to end the game. Matt Ryan f**ked up because the mortal sin there is taking a sack. Kyle trusted his MVP QB to know this. The play had Sanu on a drag, Julio on a corner and Freeman to the flat and was in the gun.

Matt Ryan Choked....he should own it. Quinn defense s**t the bed....they should own it. Them trying to have Kyle wear it is b******t, but it's easy to do since he's gone now.
Share 49ersWebzone