There are 222 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Not one of those plays puts them out of field goal range though. The confidence should be in the kicker and the d to close out a game that should of been in the bag.

Time to move on though that's for the Falcons to be p*seed at not for us to care.

A FG doesn't guarantee a win there no matter how much Matt Ryan and Atlanta fans want to believe. 11 points in 3:30-40 is not iced. it was 2nd and 11 after yet another negative run. As a playcaller, you are trying to get a convertible 3rd down because a first down there does more to end the game. Matt Ryan f**ked up because the mortal sin there is taking a sack. Kyle trusted his MVP QB to know this. The play had Sanu on a drag, Julio on a corner and Freeman to the flat and was in the gun.

Matt Ryan Choked....he should own it. Quinn defense s**t the bed....they should own it. Them trying to have Kyle wear it is b******t, but it's easy to do since he's gone now.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Blindfury:
Originally posted by Giedi:
No. Teams with elite defenses and good offenses win superbowls. You can say "well rounded" but that's glossing over the fact that it's the defense that wins you championships.

You don't need to have an elite D. You just have to play good D.

We have seen plenty of elite defenses get owned in the Superbowl. 9ers D did just a few years back.

The Giants D was not elite but was good and really stepped up both games. Spagnulo did a great job.

Atlanta's D stayed on the field too long. Kyle did not manage the lead properly. Some very questionable calls. Also no idea why they were snapping the ball with plenty of time left on the clock.

Hopefully Kyle learned from his mistakes but he does strike me as a cocky guy and I've felt this way for many years.

Again, you have to have an elite defense to win the super bowl. Green bay and our own defense (10-6) in 1989 were statistically *not* elite, but they had elite turnover numbers. That 49er defense ruled for the next two super bowls. Ravens proved you can win with elite defense and ok offense, same thing in 1981 when we didn't have a run game. But match up an elite D vs an elite O, and the elite D will win nine times out of ten. Elite D doesn't always mean yardage or points, but *turnovers* also.
[ Edited by Giedi on Jul 23, 2017 at 4:15 PM ]
A FG doesn't guarantee a win there no matter how much Matt Ryan and Atlanta fans want to believe. 11 points in 3:30-40 is not iced. it was 2nd and 11 after yet another negative run. As a playcaller, you are trying to get a convertible 3rd down because a first down there does more to end the game. Matt Ryan f**ked up because the mortal sin there is taking a sack. Kyle trusted his MVP QB to know this. The play had Sanu on a drag, Julio on a corner and Freeman to the flat and was in the gun.

Matt Ryan Choked....he should own it. Quinn defense s**t the bed....they should own it. Them trying to have Kyle wear it is b******t, but it's easy to do since he's gone now.

You're not playing for a conversion they're already in secure field goal range you're playing for the 2 score lead. Atl would have 2 more runs and NE would be forced to burn 2 out of 3 to's and from there they'd have to score 2x in about 3 and half minutes. It's 99% over. They would need a miracle. If you lose that way you own it but you can't blow it yourself pretending that your one legged center can't be tossed aside and Ryan makes a mistake. Or a holding call could happen just like what happened on the next play. Passing just is more risky. He choked. I do think Ryan threw some jabs in there scapegoating the guy who left. That's an easy guy to blame but he's also an easy target because he was wrong.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 23, 2017 at 5:15 PM ]
You're not playing for a conversion they're already in secure field goal range you're playing for the 2 score lead. Atl would have 2 more runs and NE would be forced to burn 2 out of 3 to's and from there they'd have to score 2x in about 3 and half minutes. It's 99% over. They would need a miracle. If you lose that way you own it but you can't blow it yourself pretending that your one legged center can't be tossed aside and Ryan makes a mistake. Or a holding call could happen just like what happened on the next play. Passing just is more risky. Kyle trusted wrong on all ends.

He choked too. Own it. I do think Ryan threw some jabs in there scapegoating the guy who left. That's an easy guy to blame but he's also an easy target because he was wrong.

If you believe win probability calculators...at 2nd down with 3:50 to go with an 8 point lead the falcons had a 90% chance to win. Let's say he goes 2 straight runs and gets the FG....then they have a 97% chance. However a first down there makes it a 99% chance. It's just not as cut and dry as people want to make it. Again, Kyle getting scapegoated is ridiculous. Shame is let's say he goes 2 runs and the FG is missed and then he's ragged on for taking the foot off the gas.

Also, that 2nd down play is bread and butter WCO stuff. It had 2 short routes and an intermediate route. You just can't take a sack there.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jul 23, 2017 at 5:46 PM ]

Matt Ryan comes up short and then cries and points the finger at other people. Its why he'll never win it all.
If you believe win probability calculators...at 2nd down with 3:50 to go with an 8 point lead the falcons had a 90% chance to win. Let's say he goes 2 straight runs and gets the FG....then they have a 97% chance. However a first down there makes it a 99% chance. It's just not as cut and dry as people want to make it. Again, Kyle getting scapegoated is ridiculous. Shame is let's say he goes 2 runs and the FG is missed and then he's ragged on for taking the foot off the gas.

Also, that 2nd down play is bread and butter WCO stuff. It had 2 short routes and an intermediate route. You just can't take a sack there.

Nobody is sitting there with a probability calculator when they got plays to call but you laid it out pretty well just how stacked the odds were already in Atl's favor. 90% before the field goal, 97% with it. It's over with the score. Now what's the probability of a sack on a pass attempt?
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 23, 2017 at 6:13 PM ]
Nobody is sitting there with a probability calculator when they got plays to call but you laid it out pretty well just how stacked the odds were already in Atl's favor. 90% before the field goal, 97% with it. It's over with the score. Now what's the probability of a sack on a pass attempt?

I bet you they know an 8 point lead with the ball and running clock is better than an 11 point lead with 3:30 and no possession.

Ryan was sacked 37 times on 571 pass plays (534 pass attempts + 37 sacks)...so thats about 6.5%
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jul 23, 2017 at 6:34 PM ]
I bet you they know an 8 point lead with the ball and running clock is better than an 11 point lead with 3:30 and no possession.

Ryan was sacked 37 times on 571 pass plays (534 pass attempts + 37 sacks)...so thats about 6.5%

Well he was sacked 4 times in 23 attempts (17%) going into that play. This is the Super Bowl not week 2 vs. NO. A little more pressure is coming. Fun talk I really got end on this though because this is Niner talk and I'm sure people want to talk Shanny and the Niners not Atlanta football. I also love the hire even if he made a mistake. It's not like Bill B is perfect either.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 23, 2017 at 6:50 PM ]
Well he was sacked 4 times in 23 attempts (17%) going into that play. This is the Super Bowl not week 2 vs. NO. A little more pressure is coming. Fun talk I really got end on this though because this is Niner talk and I'm sure people want to talk Shanny and the Niners not Atlanta football. I also love the hire even if he made a mistake. It's not like Bill B is perfect either.

Hopefully at sometime in his tenure we will be talking about his play calling for us in a SB. My big thing with any playcaller is for them just to be themselves....it's pretty obvious the DNA of Kyle is aggressive. Personally I have no problem with that and the sub 4 minute sequence didn't bother me.

Hopefully at sometime in his tenure we will be talking about his play calling for us in a SB. My big thing with any playcaller is for them just to be themselves....it's pretty obvious the DNA of Kyle is aggressive. Personally I have no problem with that and the sub 4 minute sequence didn't bother me.

Same here...my issue is how it's all basically been blamed on him while Quinn/ryan really haven't shouldered much of anything. There was plenty of blame to go around for everyone outside of the OC.

Originally posted by Giedi:
Again, you have to have an elite defense to win the super bowl. Green bay and our own defense (10-6) in 1989 were statistically *not* elite, but they had elite turnover numbers. That 49er defense ruled for the next two super bowls. Ravens proved you can win with elite defense and ok offense, same thing in 1981 when we didn't have a run game. But match up an elite D vs an elite O, and the elite D will win nine times out of ten. Elite D doesn't always mean yardage or points, but *turnovers* also.

I disagree. Elite play from the defense is what you need.
Not one of those plays puts them out of field goal range though. The confidence should be in the kicker and the d to close out a game that should of been in the bag.

Time to move on though that's for the Falcons to be p*seed at not for us to care.

You haven't figured out yet?
In some people's eyes, Kyle is god... period. Has done no wrong, and will never do wrong.
Every move he's made has been perfect.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Hell yes! Well, and accurately said..
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Hell yes! Well, and accurately said..

Another thing people tend to forget about is, they were going against TOM BRADY and BELICHICK, one of the best of the best QB/HC duo in the business, a field goal will NOT be a guaranteed win against those guys. It's Tom "Fukn" Brady for crying out loud, the game is not over until the clock strikes zero with Brady. The play calls didnt lose Atlanta the SB, Ryan chocked and most importantly POOR EXECUTION on both sides of the ball in the second half.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Jul 24, 2017 at 1:03 AM ]
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
You haven't figured out yet?
In some people's eyes, Kyle is god... period. Has done no wrong, and will never do wrong.
Every move he's made has been perfect.

Nah, while I think people are sticking up for their HC there is plenty of blame to go around for that loss. Not just the OC.
Share 49ersWebzone