There are 139 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
A FG wins the game in that situation 99% of the time.
There was no time for another score. That would have iced the game for sure.
A 0 yard run instead of a sack or a fumble wins the game.

A first down does just as much to win the game as a FG does....an 8 point lead with the ball in deep plus territory milking the clock is better than an 11 point lead without the ball and 3:40ish to go. Especially considering this offense dragged that s**tty 400 point given up defense to the SB.

A block from freeman wins the game when Arob had two steps on the DB as well.

Plenty of plays that could have changed that game
He f**ked up. Nobody is perfect. Not to mention it happened on another team. Oh well is my view. Alert me when this s**t happens here with the Niners is my attitude.
Who is calling the plays? Who is running the offense?

I thought the 49ers were getting the guy who ran the Falcons high powered offense.

When NE called a 4th-down pass play from his own 28 with a late 6-point lead against the Colts who came back and won, who got the blame bill Belichick or O'Brien?? Belichick did...HC is the boss man.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:22 AM ]
Originally posted by Niners816:
A first down does just as much to win the game as a FG does....an 8 point lead with the ball in deep plus territory milking the clock is better than an 11 point lead without the ball and 3:40ish to go. Especially considering this offense dragged that s**tty 400 point given up defense to the SB.

You got to pick up that first down though the 11 points is much easier acquired. Already in field goal range and a 91% kicker on the year. Once the kick is good that that puts you at 97%. The game is in the bag. There's way too much fear of Tom being shown here. He's great but he can't recover an onside kick himself. The big fear is missing the kick and giving Tom a chance on a 70 yard field. You can go wrong any way you play it but I think you got to trust the other 2 units.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
You got to pick up that first down though the 11 points is much easier acquired. Already in field goal range and a 91% kicker on the year. Once the kick is good that that puts you at 97%. The game is in the bag. There's way too much fear of Tom being shown here. He's great but he can't recover an onside kick himself. The big fear is missing the kick and giving Tom a chance on a 70 yard field. You can go wrong any way you play it but I think you got to trust the other 2 units.

How can you trust the defense after what happened in the 2nd half?? I get kicking the FG and trusting the kicker he's proven, that D wasn't doing anything and based on the personnel that NE had on the field they thought they had the advantage. Ryan got sacked ( which he should have thrown the ball away) then a pass play that had them in FG range got brought back because of poor execution on the OL.

Like I said plenty of blame for everyone

At time and score of second down and 11 the play is getting a first down, especially when the opponent still has 2 timeouts. The most value asset to both teams at that time is the clock.

The question at that point is what do you have more faith in....passing or running. Of course it's passing, they were an historic passing offense from an effeciency stand point. The odds of taking a sack there was way lower than the odds of get a negative to zero gain.

The above is the philosophic mindset that is the DNA of a team. At any point, Quinn could've have told Kyle to eat it and settle for the FG. However, I'm think Quinn knew they couldn't stop NE and the best chance to be champions was to go for the first down, eat clock, burn TO's and if you settle for a FG after a first down you are now at an 11 point with under 2 minutes. Atlanta's s**tty defense could've probably held that led.

Again, Kyle has a part in the loss....he just shouldn't be getting scapegoated by the QB he helped win an MVP and the HC who his offense carried to a SB.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
How can you trust the defense after what happened in the 2nd half?? I get kicking the FG and trusting the kicker he's proven, that D wasn't doing anything and based on the personnel that NE had on the field they thought they had the advantage. Ryan got sacked ( which he should have thrown the ball away) then a pass play that had them in FG range got brought back because of poor execution on the OL.

Like I said plenty of blame for everyone

At that point Atl had only given up 20 points 8 of which came on a shortened field following the turnover. The yardage is high but that will happen when you're up 25. NE was certainly heating up but 11 points in 3 and half minutes is a mountain to climb Tom Brady, hot offense or not. I don't know how you couldn't be content in that spot. I get that you may not want to put it on the kicker's, D's feet but you can't ever lose respect for your opponent. There is blame to go around but I think Atl players are thinking we went 11 rounds with NE were up on all of the scorecards and our trainers asked us to KO him in the 12th. We lost. Should of just settled for the decision.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Quinn shares thew blame. He blew it and so did Shanahan. They both choked big time.

Quinn is to blame for Kyle's terrible play calls and clock management?

Quinn is the HC and has the ultimate say in everything, that's why he's the HC no?

Was he just twiddling his thumbs on those plays in the SB? If so dude needs to be let go.

Who got the blame for the play call in the Seattle SB, Carroll or bevell? Who got the blame when NE's defense couldn't make a play in 08 and 11 vs NY Pees/Patrica or Bill?

The think there's plenty of blame to go around for everyone in ATL outside of a OC.

Why no blsme foe the guu calling the plays and running the offense?
I recall lots of blame being put on Roman for the offensive play calls.

A FG would have won the game there and it was a gimme and Shanahan and Quinn passed on milking the clock with running plays.
The offence was good in ATL last year, very good.

At time and score of second down and 11 the play is getting a first down, especially when the opponent still has 2 timeouts. The most value asset to both teams at that time is the clock.

The question at that point is what do you have more faith in....passing or running. Of course it's passing, they were an historic passing offense from an effeciency stand point. The odds of taking a sack there was way lower than the odds of get a negative to zero gain.

The above is the philosophic mindset that is the DNA of a team. At any point, Quinn could've have told Kyle to eat it and settle for the FG. However, I'm think Quinn knew they couldn't stop NE and[b] the best chance to be champions was to go for the first down,[i] eat clock, burn TO's and if you settle for a FG after a first down you are now at an 11 point with under 2 minutes. Atlanta's s**tty defense could've probably held that led.

Again, Kyle has a part in the loss....he just shouldn't be getting scapegoated by the QB he helped win an MVP and the HC who his offense carried to a SB.

AND look where it got them. The FG would have won it.

The above is the philosophic mindset that is the DNA of a team. At any point, Quinn could've have told Kyle to eat it and settle for the FG. However, I'm think Quinn knew they couldn't stop NE and the best chance to be champions was to go for the first down, eat clock, burn TO's and if you settle for a FG after a first down you are now at an 11 point with under 2 minutes. Atlanta's s**tty defense could've probably held that led.

Running the ball twice burns those to's and from there you're up 2 scores with 3:30 to go. NE's options to win or next to nil. 1 onside recovery. Ball game. Missing the kick, quick score + onside are really the only ways to lose.
Why no blsme foe the guu calling the plays and running the offense?
I recall lots of blame being put on Roman for the offensive play calls.

I'm not saying he doesn't get any of the blame...I don't think he get all the blame. Why doesn't Quinn get any? He's supposed to be a defensive guru no? Gave up 570 yards and couldn't stop them on that last drive in the 4th or in overtime...since when does a HC get off on that??

I know kyle wasn't your pick for a HC

Show me all the articles/QB blaming Roman? Harbs took blame for that like a HC is supposed to.

Like I said why didn't O'Brien get blamed for that 4th qr call? He's supposed to be a offensive guru, same with bevell in the SB? HC is the boss not the OC.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 24, 2017 at 11:43 AM ]

A FG would have won the game there and it was a gimme and Shanahan and Quinn passed on milking the clock with running plays.
The offence was good in ATL last year, very good.

Absolutely Woo.

IMO, that was on the HC more than the OC.

Lessons learned for the future benefits us - Big Time!
AND look where it got them. The FG would have won it.

Or he misses the FG/running game gets more negative yards, holding gets called etc...a lot of what ifs
Share 49ersWebzone