There are 145 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by tjd808185:
At that point Atl had only given up 20 points 8 of which came on a shortened field following the turnover. The yardage is high but that will happen when you're up 25. NE was certainly heating up but 11 points in 3 and half minutes is a mountain to climb Tom Brady, hot offense or not. I don't know how you couldn't be content in that spot. I get that you may not want to put it on the kicker's, D's feet but you can't ever lose respect for your opponent. There is blame to go around but I think Atl players are thinking we went 11 rounds with NE were up on all of the scorecards and our trainers asked us to KO him in the 12th. We lost. Should of just settled for the decision.

Where was that D on the last drive in the 4th or in overtime? I thought Quinn was a defensive guru...since when does a HC get off on everything? That's my issue.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Why no blsme foe the guu calling the plays and running the offense?
I recall lots of blame being put on Roman for the offensive play calls.

I'm not saying he doesn't get any of the blame...I don't think he get all the blame. Why doesn't Quinn get any? He's supposed to be a defensive guru no? Gave up 570 yards and couldn't stop them on that last drive in the 4th or in overtime...since when does a HC get off on that??

I know kyle wasn't your pick for a HC

Show me all the articles/QB blaming Roman? Harbs took blame for that like a HC is supposed to.

Quinn gets blame but I don't care about Quinn because the 49ers didn't hire Quinn so I have no interest in discussing his role in the loss.

I was happy with Shanahan as the pick for HC, I was good with him or McVay. Are you absolving Shanahan of all blame because he was your pick?

Does Sharpe criticize because he wanted another coach for the 49ers, how about all of the other analysts who pointed out the mistakes?
At that point Atl had only given up 20 points 8 of which came on a shortened field following the turnover. The yardage is high but that will happen when you're up 25. NE was certainly heating up but 11 points in 3 and half minutes is a mountain to climb Tom Brady, hot offense or not. I don't know how you couldn't be content in that spot. I get that you may not want to put it on the kicker's, D's feet but you can't ever lose respect for your opponent. There is blame to go around but I think Atl players are thinking we went 11 rounds with NE were up on all of the scorecards and our trainers asked us to KO him in the 12th. We lost. Should of just settled for the decision.

Where was that D on the last drive in the 4th or in overtime? I thought Quinn was a defensive guru...since when does a HC get off on everything? That's my issue.

Who cares? This isn't the Falcons forum. Quinn is not going to choke play calls in big games for the 49ers but Shanahan might very well do just that like he did in the Super Bowl.

Fair point because Tom's done it to him twice only for the offense to take the blame but here this is the Shanny thread so obviously the focus is on his role.
Originally posted by Niners816:
At time and score of second down and 11 the play is getting a first down, especially when the opponent still has 2 timeouts. The most value asset to both teams at that time is the clock.

The question at that point is what do you have more faith in....passing or running. Of course it's passing, they were an historic passing offense from an effeciency stand point. The odds of taking a sack there was way lower than the odds of get a negative to zero gain.

The above is the philosophic mindset that is the DNA of a team. At any point, Quinn could've have told Kyle to eat it and settle for the FG. However, I'm think Quinn knew they couldn't stop NE and the best chance to be champions was to go for the first down, eat clock, burn TO's and if you settle for a FG after a first down you are now at an 11 point with under 2 minutes. Atlanta's s**tty defense could've probably held that led.

Again, Kyle has a part in the loss....he just shouldn't be getting scapegoated by the QB he helped win an MVP and the HC who his offense carried to a SB.

Running the ball twice burns those to's and from there you're up 2 scores with 3:30 to go. NE's options to win or next to nil. 1 onside recovery. Ball game. Missing the kick, quick score + onside are really the only ways to lose.

After the sack, the Pats scored a TD is 1 minute 41 seconds.

The huge assumption here is that the FG would be automatic from the 22 in a Superbowl cold off the bench (Not 1 attempt all game). Why did the Pats have to attempt two 2-point conversions? Because Gostkowski missed an extra point. Nothing is given and we've all seen that in previous Superbowls.

So to the coaches, who do you trust more? You're MVP QB in shotgun formation to end the game on a homerun or, at minimum, keep the chains moving burning out the clock just the same...or your kicker and then leaving it in the hands of your defense and Tom Brady?

They went with what got them there...to the Superbowl and literally, in FG range...twice...by passing.

Ryan took the unthinkable sack from shotgun.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 24, 2017 at 12:02 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Who cares? This isn't the Falcons forum. Quinn is not going to choke play calls in big games for the 49ers but Shanahan might very well do just that like he did in the Super Bowl.

Shanahan got them up by 28 it was Quinn's D that failed.
Originally posted by NCommand:
At time and score of second down and 11 the play is getting a first down, especially when the opponent still has 2 timeouts. The most value asset to both teams at that time is the clock.

The question at that point is what do you have more faith in....passing or running. Of course it's passing, they were an historic passing offense from an effeciency stand point. The odds of taking a sack there was way lower than the odds of get a negative to zero gain.

The above is the philosophic mindset that is the DNA of a team. At any point, Quinn could've have told Kyle to eat it and settle for the FG. However, I'm think Quinn knew they couldn't stop NE and the best chance to be champions was to go for the first down, eat clock, burn TO's and if you settle for a FG after a first down you are now at an 11 point with under 2 minutes. Atlanta's s**tty defense could've probably held that led.

Again, Kyle has a part in the loss....he just shouldn't be getting scapegoated by the QB he helped win an MVP and the HC who his offense carried to a SB.

Running the ball twice burns those to's and from there you're up 2 scores with 3:30 to go. NE's options to win or next to nil. 1 onside recovery. Ball game. Missing the kick, quick score + onside are really the only ways to lose.

The huge assumption here is that the FG would be automatic from the 22 in a Superbowl cold off the bench (Not 1 attempt all game). Why did the Pats have to attempt two 2-point conversions? Because Gostkowski missed an extra point. Nothing is given and we've all seen that in previous Superbowls.

So to the coaches, who do you trust more? You're MVP QB in shotgun foundation to end the game on a homerun or, at minimum, keep the chains moving burning out the clock just the same...or your kicker and then leaving it in the hands of your defense and Tom Brady?

They went with what got them there...to the Superbowl and literally, in FG range twice...by passing.

The field goad would be all but automatic, 95% anyway.

I trust the kicker and the clock and the Falcons clearly should have as well.

Unthinkable sack? What had ended the previous drive?

Remember the time Bill B called a pass on 4th and 1 on his own 25 enabling Peyton to beat him. It happens. Sometimes you have too much trust in your own o, too much fear of your opposing qb. I'm just glad this happened to Atl.

Remember the time Bill B called a pass on 4th and 1 on his own 25 enabling Peyton to beat him. It happens. Sometimes you have too much trust in your own o, too much fear of your opposing qb. I'm just glad this happened to Atl.

Absolutely, I would have felt a lot better if he had made the right calls but I am glad he made that mistake with someone else and will hopefully learn from it.

Guess we will have to wait and see how kyle playing goes in SF.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 24, 2017 at 12:03 PM ]

So to the coaches, who do you trust more? You're MVP QB in shotgun foundation to end the game on a homerun or, at minimum, keep the chains moving burning out the clock just the same...or your kicker and then leaving it in the hands of your defense and Tom Brady?

They went with what got them there...to the Superbowl and literally, in FG range twice...by passing.

The field goad would be all but automatic, 95% anyway.

I trust the kicker and the clock and the Falcons clearly should have as well.

Unthinkable sack? What had ended the previous drive?

LOL...so are point after attempts!

They had to's which factors in to how quickly they scored and that would still put them around the 2 minute warning needing an onside for a real chance. I'd trust my 91% kicker over anyone vs. Bill B. Just me though.

There it is, you clearly didn't want kyle as the HC so you're jumping at anything to prove why lol.

Guess we will have to wait and see how kyle playing goes in SF.

That is stupid. Shanahan was 1A and McVay was 1B for me.

Are you not assigning any blame to the OC and the game he called and the way he ran the offense because he was your choice?

Fair point because Tom's done it to him twice only for the offense to take the blame but here this is the Shanny thread so obviously the focus is on his role.

Right I get that, that's been my issue with this topic is how a team came just push blame on a OC when there was a ton of issues that lead to the end result.

And like I've stated in here I could careless about the result cause it was with ATL not us.

They had to's which factors in to how quickly they scored and that would still put them around the 2 minute warning needing an onside for a real chance. I'd trust my 91% kicker over anyone vs. Bill B. Just me though.

It's not just you. We all understand the end-result and like Kyle himself said, had he known Ryan would have taken a sack there, even in shotgun, with multiple layers to pass too (short, intermediate, deep), he would have called a run there as well.
Share 49ersWebzone