There are 197 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
That is stupid. Shanahan was 1A and McVay was 1B for me.

Are you not assigning any blame to the OC and the game he called and the way he ran the offense because he was your choice?

I deleted that top part of my comment...I was thinking of someone else sorry about that.

I'm assigning blame on offense (which kyle is a part of), defense, plus the head coach who's suppose to have control of everything. Seems to me kyle took the brunt of the blame and I don't think he should have

FYI McDaniels was my top choice
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 24, 2017 at 12:18 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Who cares? This isn't the Falcons forum. Quinn is not going to choke play calls in big games for the 49ers but Shanahan might very well do just that like he did in the Super Bowl.

Remember the time Bill B called a pass on 4th and 1 on his own 25 enabling Peyton to beat him. It happens. Sometimes you have too much trust in your own o, too much fear of your opposing qb. I'm just glad this happened to Atl.

Exactly, yes he called a great game and yes he also messed up, people in here defending him are just being complete homers now. I trust in KS, I know he messed up a bit in the SB, but like any good HC he will learn from his mistake. It's okay to admit that he's not perfect
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Exactly, yes he called a great game and yes he also messed up, people in here defending him are just being complete homers now. I trust in KS, I know he messed up a bit in the SB, but like any good HC he will learn from his mistake. It's okay to admit that he's not perfect

I don't think it was the safest play call, I however have no issue putting it in the MVP's hand especially when they thought they had the advantage personnel wise. They simply didn't execute the play.

Live and you learn....on to training camp!
Who cares? This isn't the Falcons forum. Quinn is not going to choke play calls in big games for the 49ers but Shanahan might very well do just that like he did in the Super Bowl.

Remember the time Bill B called a pass on 4th and 1 on his own 25 enabling Peyton to beat him. It happens. Sometimes you have too much trust in your own o, too much fear of your opposing qb. I'm just glad this happened to Atl.

Because no coordinator or head coach can be perfect, when it comes to play calling, I simply ask, did he help put his team in positon to win? If the answer is yes, like in this case (twice in that drive), he did his job. That doesn't make one a homer IMHO.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Because no coordinator or head coach can be perfect, when it comes to play calling, I simply ask, did he help put his team in positon to win? If the answer is yes, like in this case (twice in that drive), he did his job. That doesn't make one a homer IMHO.

Like Roman and Harbs!
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jul 24, 2017 at 12:26 PM ]
Like Roman and Harbs!

That may have been the case except Jim called a T.O. to nix the TD run by CK and it's questionable putting the game in a QB's throwing arm who was so green and allowing him to audible to Crabtree... questionable if HaRoman recognized the zero blitzes and had a hot route, let alone, dialed one up.

I gave Roman a pass as he clearly got them a TD with that play call. He did his job there.

Harbaugh? Uh oh.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
You got to pick up that first down though the 11 points is much easier acquired. Already in field goal range and a 91% kicker on the year. Once the kick is good that that puts you at 97%. The game is in the bag. There's way too much fear of Tom being shown here. He's great but he can't recover an onside kick himself. The big fear is missing the kick and giving Tom a chance on a 70 yard field. You can go wrong any way you play it but I think you got to trust the other 2 units.

At time and score of second down and 11 the play is getting a first down, especially when the opponent still has 2 timeouts. The most value asset to both teams at that time is the clock.

The question at that point is what do you have more faith in....passing or running. Of course it's passing, they were an historic passing offense from an effeciency stand point. The odds of taking a sack there was way lower than the odds of get a negative to zero gain.

The above is the philosophic mindset that is the DNA of a team. At any point, Quinn could've have told Kyle to eat it and settle for the FG. However, I'm think Quinn knew they couldn't stop NE and the best chance to be champions was to go for the first down, eat clock, burn TO's and if you settle for a FG after a first down you are now at an 11 point with under 2 minutes. Atlanta's s**tty defense could've probably held that led.

Again, Kyle has a part in the loss....he just shouldn't be getting scapegoated by the QB he helped win an MVP and the HC who his offense carried to a SB.

I think we're pretty lucky to have Kyle as a HC, despite the negative ninnies on the Atlanta falcons. Walsh was (I think) late 40's or early 50's before he got a HC job. *NOT* saying Kyle is anywhere close to Walsh, but saying not very many 37 year old Head Coaches in the NFL with such an extensive offensive background, i.e. super bowl experience. I think Harbaugh never had such experience before being HC, and neither did Walsh. I think Sefiert had loads of it, but he wasn't an offensive guy. If we are a bit lucky, and Kyle gets a franchise QB in the next two years or so, you are looking at the next Head Coach of the 49ers for the next two decades. The Atlanta Falcon experience should teach Kyle that defense wins championships.

Let's look at the 2nd and 11 play.....it wasn't some exotic crazy play. It was pretty much bread and butter WCO stuff that I'm sure they ran a ton of times. Here's an example of the concepts from the WCO bible (i.e. Walsh's playbook):

The concept revolves around the delay, corner and flat route on the TE side. Atlanta ran this concept from the gun and a different formation but this is essentially what they did. They even had the close splits.

I'm not gonna kill the guy for calling a bread and butter system play and trusting his MVP QB in the process....if that make me a homer so f**king be it.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jul 24, 2017 at 12:42 PM ]

Let's look at the 2nd and 11 play.....it wasn't some exotic crazy play. It was pretty much bread and butter WCO stuff that I'm sure they ran a ton of times. Here's an example of the concepts from the WCO bible (i.e. Walsh's playbook):

The concept revolves around the delay, corner and flat route on the TE side. Atlanta ran this concept from the gun and a different formation but this is essentially what they did. They even had the close splits.

I'm not gonna kill the guy for calling a bread and butter system play and trusting his MVP QB in the process....if that make me a homer so f**king be it.

Preach! And thanks for that visual.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think we're pretty lucky to have Kyle as a HC, despite the negative ninnies on the Atlanta falcons. Walsh was (I think) late 40's or early 50's before he got a HC job. *NOT* saying Kyle is anywhere close to Walsh, but saying not very many 37 year old Head Coaches in the NFL with such an extensive offensive background, i.e. super bowl experience. I think Harbaugh never had such experience before being HC, and neither did Walsh. I think Sefiert had loads of it, but he wasn't an offensive guy. If we are a bit lucky, and Kyle gets a franchise QB in the next two years or so, you are looking at the next Head Coach of the 49ers for the next two decades. The Atlanta Falcon experience should teach Kyle that defense wins championships.

No question about it.

He was the guy I've wanted for 2 years now. I think he has an excellent chance to flourish as our HC. Still I just remember during the super bowl on that drive thinking they needed another 1st down to ice the game. I was figuring a pass on 2nd down to get a manageable 3rd down. On 3rd down, you then have the option to run or pass to convert. If you convert it...that's pretty much ball game. If not you then take the FG and the 11 point lead knowing you exhausted all your options. Thats just me though.
He was the guy I've wanted for 2 years now. I think he has an excellent chance to flourish as our HC. Still I just remember during the super bowl on that drive thinking they needed another 1st down to ice the game. I was figuring a pass on 2nd down to get a manageable 3rd down. On 3rd down, you then have the option to run or pass to convert. If you convert it...that's pretty much ball game. If not you then take the FG and the 11 point lead knowing you exhausted all your options. Thats just me though.

My EXACT thoughts at that time as well.

This offseason my dream scenario was Shanahan & Wolf. We got Shanahan & Lynch so I'm pretty happy.

NE bumped the drag route and by the time he got to the next option Ryan was toast because Mack got abused on that play. You can blame Ryan for not immediately getting rid of it (that's fair) but when you play for the 1st that's a risk you're taking. Interior pressure is the toughest to deal with too. Nothing changes that playing conservative was the right call.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 24, 2017 at 2:05 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I agree with you. I was thinking the sam ething. Also, I really don't pay attention to other teams unless they are playing us, but I was curious as to what Atlanta's defensive rankings were, and golly I was shocked when I took a look and they were near the bottom in pass defense last year. I thought they had a pretty good pass rush with their young DE - but I don't remember him being a factor in the 2nd half. Was he injured? Anyway, Walsh always preached that you need a pass rush in the 4rth Qtr to close out teams. That's what he got Haley and Dean for. I think New England had Long as their pass rusher and he was pretty effective (I think) in sacking Ryan, but the Atlanta defense didn't do diddly against the pass offense of New England. I still don't really get why though.
Share 49ersWebzone