There are 189 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
This offseason my dream scenario was Shanahan & Wolf. We got Shanahan & Lynch so I'm pretty happy.

I wanted Wolf as well. Not sure he could have done any better than Lynch, though, the guy has totally blown me away.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
This offseason my dream scenario was Shanahan & Wolf. We got Shanahan & Lynch so I'm pretty happy.

I wanted Wolf as well. Not sure he could have done any better than Lynch, though, the guy has totally blown me away.

He will be key in building a championship defensive team. He knows in detail that Tampa two defense and how it works, and that relates to Saleh because the Saleh defense and the Tampa Two are very similar (in my opinion). Loved all the defensive choices made by him this year - and looking forward to seeing his 2018 choices too.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
NE bumped the drag route and by the time he got to the next option Ryan was toast because Mack got abused on that play. You can blame Ryan for not immediately getting rid of it (that's fair) but when you play for the 1st that's a risk you're taking. Interior pressure is the toughest to deal with too. Nothing changes that playing conservative was the right call.

So your play at 1st down on the 22 with 4 minutes to go up by 8 against a team with 3 timeouts is to run it 3 straight times and kick? If that's the case then you might as well just get in victory formation and kneel it 3 times. That's eliminates any risk Of holds and fumbles. I don't share this opInion, in this scenario there's should be at least one pass to set up a manageable 3rd that can be converted by either passing or running.

Only way I run 3 straight is if I'm us during the Harbs era, Seattle during their SB run or a team like the 90s Cowboys. I'd need superior run personnel.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jul 24, 2017 at 2:38 PM ]
I would be satisfied with the offense if they can score on average 20pts a game for most games. I think the average for NFL is somewhere around 24pts.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I would be satisfied with the offense if they can score on average 20pts a game for most games. I think the average for NFL is somewhere around 24pts.
we pretty much averaged that last year and we couldn't score in the 2nd half
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
That is stupid. Shanahan was 1A and McVay was 1B for me.

Are you not assigning any blame to the OC and the game he called and the way he ran the offense because he was your choice?

Whoa, woo...kyle already took blame for the call and the O. But looking in from the outside, there was plenty of blame to go around...DC, QB, and #1...HC. Kyle too, but plenty of blame and don't forget ATLs Defense.
Originally posted by Niners816:
So your play at 1st down on the 22 with 4 minutes to go up by 8 against a team with 3 timeouts is to run it 3 straight times and kick? If that's the case then you might as well just get in victory formation and kneel it 3 times. That's eliminates any risk Of holds and fumbles. I don't share this opInion, in this scenario there's should be at least one pass to set up a manageable 3rd that can be converted by either passing or running.

Only way I run 3 straight is if I'm us during the Harbs era, Seattle during their SB run or a team like the 90s Cowboys. I'd need superior run personnel.

Well the victory formation would of worked better than passing the ball but you can call 3 runs and burn their to's. If you make the first great otherwise hopefully you gain a few yards to chip the field to 36-37 yards. You don't have to play for the 1st down there because scoring 3 all but ends the game. You're really stressing over what you've already calculated to be a 97% chance of winning.

Only way I pass it is if I'm coming out of a timeout and the instructions are clear. 1 read and dump it. Now I would expect NE to pass the ball there and nobody would blink an eye on that even if it did turn into a disaster but they've been there a million times. I know Ryan is the MVP, I'd still say it's a team game so we're going to let the d and special teams close it out. To me that's safer than putting it on o's shoulders.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 24, 2017 at 8:10 PM ]
Well the victory formation would of worked better than passing the ball but you can call 3 runs and burn their to's. If you make the first great otherwise hopefully you gain a few yards to chip the field to 36-37 yards. You don't have to play for the 1st down there because scoring 3 all but ends the game. You're really stressing over what you've already calculated to be a 97% chance of winning.

Only way I pass it is if I'm coming out of a timeout and the instructions are clear. 1 read and dump it. Now I would expect NE to pass the ball there and nobody would blink an eye on that even if it did turn into a disaster but they've been there a million times. 1st time you play the safe hand because errors will happen.

Errors can happen on any play. You don't stop playing with 4 minutes to go with an MVP QB, an all time top 10 offense and the best WR in the league. The result of the play was bad but that doesn't mean the play call was bad. Hell, we seen a three peat ended in a seemingly won game on a fumbled run play.
Errors can happen on any play. You don't stop playing with 4 minutes to go with an MVP QB, an all time top 10 offense and the best WR in the league. The result of the play was bad but that doesn't mean the play call was bad. Hell, we seen a three peat ended in a seemingly won game on a fumbled run play.

True statement that you can lose off any scenario I'll give you that. How many #1 offenses have won the SB though? Most of the time they run into a d who knocks them around and that includes NE's goat offense. NE's d #1 in points I believe. They bent alot but breaking a Bill Belicheck d is easier said than done. Shanny found that out the hard way.
True statement that you can lose off any scenario I'll give you that. How many #1 offenses have won the SB though? Most of the time they run into a d who knocks them around and that includes NE's goat offense. NE's d #1 in points I believe. They bent alot but breaking a Bill Belicheck d is easier said than done. Shanny found that out the hard way.

I will give you my knock on Kyle though and that's with clock management. I forgot who authored he article but it said that basically Atlanta gave NE 1:07 in time by not running the play clock down. IMO, that is something an OC can stress to his QB and this should have been top of mind the entire second half.

On a side note, Bellicheat is an effing genius. Who goes into halftime down 21-3, then 28-3 and up against that historic offense and says at halftime, "Alright guys, we're going to stack the box and stuff their run."

I can only imagine the players looking around the room at each other.

The injury to Mack and Coleman was huge but the idea to stuff the run and take away the play action and put them in less easier 2nd and 3rd downs was genius IMHO.
If Shanahan can recapture the toughness of the Jim Harbaugh era, with his offense!!!?

We will be beastly!
This wasn't Shanny's fault:

Nor was this:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Nor was this:

Exactly ...plus factor in the long ass wait , waiting for Lady GaGa to finish up her lame hafltime show , and the team losing it's edge , and Quinn not matching wits with McDaniels and slowing down that attack
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Nor was this:

The second is on Shanny. Ryan could of threw the ball away but you're telling him to push it and get the kill. Mack got pretty much instantly shredded and by the time Ryan realized it too late. Interior pressure is the toughest to deal with it.
Share 49ersWebzone