There are 180 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Niners816:
No delay of games in 2 years as the Atlanta OC.....that's incredible.

Yeah I didnt know that.

Knowing our luck, we'll get one the first week
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by jcs:

Remember when we used to have 1 or 2 every single game...

Remember when it cost us a Superbowl?!

Was that play suppose to be basically a qb keeper...? Took that long to come up with a qb keeper

Yup...designed QB rub. Simple.

It was the worst kind of delay/TO....they showed their play. The QB keeper was no longer gonna be a surprise. IMO, given our run strength that 4 play sequence needed 2 runs and 2 passes. Basically showing our hand, Roman was scared off of the QB keep and it then became 3 passes for a lead. I say lead, because I had no faith in the defense stopping flacco at that point.

Damn. Gore didnt get the ball at all instead we have the ball to lamichael james on 1st down. WTF
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Kyle gave a great response to Matt Ryan's statements. Hopefully the media drops it and we can move on from Kyle's playcalling in the super bowl.

Lol how Ryan complains about late play calling. Tell me where were those complaints in the playoffs and when the Falcons were up 28-3 in the Super Bowl?

I'm frickin tired of people blaming Shanahan's play calling in the Super Bowl. If anything why the hell did a defensive head coach let the Patriots come back from 28-3?

Yep. Our past super bowl winning defenses would have shut the patriots offense down in the 2nd half.

Interesting how he said there are OTA camp superstars but when they get into pre-season they suck donkey balls. Apparently he'll be watching the tapes of practice to see how players react to given situations. Very interesting coach here. Looks like on the 90 cut down day - John, Hightower and Kwan are not going to sleep much.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
If I understood his explanation right, he wants less pressure on his qb to have to make the best possible decision on every play against a specific defense. As long as the decision is a positive with positive yards. He's ok with it. It makes for a more efficient offense and the qb and the offense as a whole in theory would play quicker. Atlanta with no delay of game penalty is a prime example of that application.

Yep, this was Bill Walsh. Work the progression and let the concept answer the questions for you. Primary, Secondary, checkdown or throw away. No negative plays(into or sack). It kinda goes to that adage, if a drive ends in a kick(FG, XP or punt) it's acceptable.

Yep. Field position, to put the defense in the best position to defend, then also have a rested defense to shut down 3rd and longs via pass rush, and back to ball control offense and the field position game again. Classic Walsh.
He said it's not on the QB to get them in the perfect play it's on the OC to call it and/or give him a check. At that point, you run the progressions and if you have to throw it away you throw it way.

Not to harp on it, but that 2nd and 11 had 3 routes that comprised the concept (drag/corner/flat) the opposite side WR is usually just an ALERT and requires something like blown coverage to even atttempt it. Middle pressure is a b***h, but QB know in that situation you can't take a sack....you ellude one way or the other and chuck the Ball at the feet of the closet WR (in this either the drag or the flat...it would have been the drag on that play) and you live to fight another down. It would have been 3rd and 11, you took your ultimate shot to get a first....at that point I'd assume either a screen or draw on that down since 11 yards is a lot to ask on 1 down and at that point you take the 3 and the 11 point lead and go from there. Again in my opinion the sack was the mortal sin not the calling of a pass....if I got the MVP, best WR and an all time offense I'm taking a chance at 2nd to get a first and essentially end the SB.

I could not agree more. By that stage of the game, there was zero chance of running for a first down there to end the game. Your passing game just got you there. You go with your only odds and trust your all pro Center and MVP QB. Epic fail (mental and physical).
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 28, 2017 at 8:36 AM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

I hated that s**t and blowing timeouts because of it

I don't remember 1 or 2 T.Os per game. I remember one game where we had a potential 4 or 5 T.Os in first half, and instead ended up blowing all our T.Os PLUS, 2 delay of game penalties. Also forgotten are the huge # of plays where kap got info late, was slow on uptake of the D, and ran plays without factoring in the D set, with a total FAIL of the called play. That was every bit as bad as the unforced T.Os and the penalties. Failed or screwed up plays were a direct result of the incredible # of delays...the T.Os and penalties were on top of all that. It was sickening, and made all of us want our HC to get his brain in gear. INstead, the run coordinator made his case for a run, the pass coordinator made his case for the pass. And harbaw sat there and diddled while the clock ticked on. Those last two harbaw yrs? To me they were every bit as bad, maybe even worse than tomsul and chip. We still had some talent back then.

Show me a guy who can't get his schid together calling a play and I'll show you a failed HC...or OC. How that continued remains a mystery. Didn't seem to bother harbs tho. Except the temper tantrums. And those were very mature. A NFL HC screaming, hollering on the sideline, gesticulating, jumping up and down, acting for all the world like an 8 yr old spoiled brat. Just the attitude you want in your HC. Damn we have been pathetic last 3 yrs and pretty much a good part of 4 yrs ago also.

Fortunately our new HC is the antithesis of harbaw, and same can be said for tomsul and a bit of chip. Chip is different , way different in his own way. To be fair, both guys got short sheeted on talent. Thanks baalke. But that is all in rear view mirror now, and new era already has begun. Worrying about kyle not getting plays in on time? Fugeddaboudit.
Hate him all you want but he's still one of the most successful HC's in NFL history when you take his short stint here and compare it. And it's even more impressive when you realize the leaders of this organization were trying to sabotage him at every turn.
[ Edited by jcs on Jul 28, 2017 at 9:31 AM ]

I don't remember 1 or 2 T.Os per game. I remember one game where we had a potential 4 or 5 T.Os in first half, and instead ended up blowing all our T.Os PLUS, 2 delay of game penalties. Also forgotten are the huge # of plays where kap got info late, was slow on uptake of the D, and ran plays without factoring in the D set, with a total FAIL of the called play. That was every bit as bad as the unforced T.Os and the penalties. Failed or screwed up plays were a direct result of the incredible # of delays...the T.Os and penalties were on top of all that. It was sickening, and made all of us want our HC to get his brain in gear. INstead, the run coordinator made his case for a run, the pass coordinator made his case for the pass. And harbaw sat there and diddled while the clock ticked on. Those last two harbaw yrs? To me they were every bit as bad, maybe even worse than tomsul and chip. We still had some talent back then.

Show me a guy who can't get his schid together calling a play and I'll show you a failed HC...or OC. How that continued remains a mystery. Didn't seem to bother harbs tho. Except the temper tantrums. And those were very mature. A NFL HC screaming, hollering on the sideline, gesticulating, jumping up and down, acting for all the world like an 8 yr old spoiled brat. Just the attitude you want in your HC. Damn we have been pathetic last 3 yrs and pretty much a good part of 4 yrs ago also.

Fortunately our new HC is the antithesis of harbaw, and same can be said for tomsul and a bit of chip. Chip is different , way different in his own way. To be fair, both guys got short sheeted on talent. Thanks baalke. But that is all in rear view mirror now, and new era already has begun. Worrying about kyle not getting plays in on time? Fugeddaboudit.
Hate him all you want but he's still one of the most successful HC's in NFL history when you take his short stint here and compare it. And it's even more impressive when you realize the leaders of this organization were trying to sabotage him at every turn.

He'll go into the 4-year HOF as a HC.

Some would rather live in their own bubble. This is the reality of things, sad we are a "Where are they now" type of team. That's what happens when you hire a friend-GM that failed at drafting.

Where are the Jim Harbaugh-era 49ers now?
Eric Ting | on July 27, 2017
https://www.google.com/amp/www.sfgate.com/49ers/amp/Where-are-the-Jim-Harbaugh-era-49ers-now-11305946.php

"The last time the words "49ers" and "playoffs" were even mentioned in the same sentence was in 2013, when Jim Harbaugh guided one of the deepest rosters in the NFL to three straight NFC Championship Games."

"Related video: Joe Montana says 'letting Jim Harbaugh go was not a good decision.' Story continues below."

Meanwhile

"Mark Dantonio, Jim Harbaugh voted favorite coaches by Big Ten players"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.mlive.com/sports/2017/07/mark_dantonio_jim_harbaugh_vot.amp

They should do a where are they now on Lord Baalke.

In the real world "we" as in the niners are known for f**king up a wet dream.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jul 28, 2017 at 2:14 PM ]
  • thl408
I bet Kyle would have won the SB for the 49ers in that final minute (good pass play), and Harbaugh would have won the SB for the Falcons in that 4th quarter (run the ball).
Originally posted by thl408:
I bet Kyle would have won the SB for the 49ers in that final minute (good pass play), and Harbaugh would have won the SB for the Falcons in that 4th quarter (run the ball).

Either way can't s**t on either of them, no matter how personal it may be or how bad some want to change history.

Success is not a coincidence.

Not many teams get to reach that plateau let alone win it.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jul 28, 2017 at 2:18 PM ]

Can't wait to see Shanahan coach this season! Will be in KC to see his 1st game!!
Originally posted by tohara3:
Can't wait to see Shanahan coach this season! Will be in KC to see his 1st game!!

Nice! Have a great time!

Kaepernick did him in. Once the surprise attack of the RO/rushing QB wore off we were left one dimensional on offense. No passing attack.

They tried to fix this in 2014 but failed. As the passing game remained bottom of the league the FO put more and more pressure on Harbaugh. Roman was the first scapegoat, then the axe fell on Jim. His personal issues with the FO would've been alleviated by winning. We would've won in 2014 if we had a legitimate passing attack. The defense/run game held their own.

IMO the underline football problem, other than Jim's personality and Jed/Baalke, was Kaepernicks inability to lead a more complex passing attack.
Originally posted by tohara3:

Some of the best BBQ in the country!
Kyle gave a very extensive explanation on the importance of a pocket-passing quarterback today when asked about a quarterback's ability to be mobile. It gives us a clear look into what Kyle wants in his quarterback. He basically implied that he prefers a statue to a mobile QB because the statue has been forced to function from the pocket, while mobile QBs have always had mobility as their crutch.

In short, if you're a scrambling QB or a sandlot-type QB, Kyle doesn't want anything to do with you. He wants the classic pocket-passing quarterback. Something to keep in mind for all us draft forum nerds.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jul 29, 2017 at 1:36 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone