There are 239 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

And there was some question why he didn't want Kap? No more. He wants a statue. Guys who are chained to one spot...they better darn well know how to read a D and go thru their progressions. They also better know how to get rid of the ball. You can't love it to death . Ultimately, you have to throw it.
Come a long way since this hill.

Kyle talks about how mobility can actually be a disadvantage at 11:03

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Heroism:
Kyle gave a very extensive explanation on the importance of a pocket-passing quarterback today when asked about a quarterback's ability to be mobile. It gives us a clear look into what Kyle wants in his quarterback. He basically implied that he prefers a statue to a mobile QB because the statue has been forced to function from the pocket, while mobile QBs have always had mobility as their crutch.

In short, if you're a scrambling QB or a sandlot-type QB, Kyle doesn't want anything to do with you. He wants the classic pocket-passing quarterback. Something to keep in mind for all us draft forum nerds.

I'm really glad Shanahan made that clear in what he wants or looks for in his QB. A lot of head coaches don't seem to believe in that and they just settle for what's in the roster or best available QB out there.

Finally the 49ers got a head coach I've always hoped for.
if this team doesn't win more than 4 games, i would be shocked. But the offense is going to be really bad.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
if this team doesn't win more than 4 games, i would be shocked. But the offense is going to be really bad.

I don't think the offense will be bad. I think decent. Will struggle against top 10 defense.

Care to say why they will be bad?
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Niners816:
No delay of games in 2 years as the Atlanta OC.....that's incredible.

Remember when we used to have 1 or 2 every single game...

I hated that s**t and blowing timeouts because of it

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Niners816:
No delay of games in 2 years as the Atlanta OC.....that's incredible.

Remember when we used to have 1 or 2 every single game...

Remember when it cost us a Superbowl?!

I don't remember 1 or 2 T.Os per game. I remember one game where we had a potential 4 or 5 T.Os in first half, and instead ended up blowing all our T.Os PLUS, 2 delay of game penalties. Also forgotten are the huge # of plays where kap got info late, was slow on uptake of the D, and ran plays without factoring in the D set, with a total FAIL of the called play. That was every bit as bad as the unforced T.Os and the penalties. Failed or screwed up plays were a direct result of the incredible # of delays...the T.Os and penalties were on top of all that. It was sickening, and made all of us want our HC to get his brain in gear. INstead, the run coordinator made his case for a run, the pass coordinator made his case for the pass. And harbaw sat there and diddled while the clock ticked on. Those last two harbaw yrs? To me they were every bit as bad, maybe even worse than tomsul and chip. We still had some talent back then.

Show me a guy who can't get his schid together calling a play and I'll show you a failed HC...or OC. How that continued remains a mystery. Didn't seem to bother harbs tho. Except the temper tantrums. And those were very mature. A NFL HC screaming, hollering on the sideline, gesticulating, jumping up and down, acting for all the world like an 8 yr old spoiled brat. Just the attitude you want in your HC. Damn we have been pathetic last 3 yrs and pretty much a good part of 4 yrs ago also.

Fortunately our new HC is the antithesis of harbaw, and same can be said for tomsul and a bit of chip. Chip is different , way different in his own way. To be fair, both guys got short sheeted on talent. Thanks baalke. But that is all in rear view mirror now, and new era already has begun. Worrying about kyle not getting plays in on time? Fugeddaboudit.
Hate him all you want but he's still one of the most successful HC's in NFL history when you take his short stint here and compare it. And it's even more impressive when you realize the leaders of this organization were trying to sabotage him at every turn.

Kaepernick did him in. Once the surprise attack of the RO/rushing QB wore off we were left one dimensional on offense. No passing attack.

They tried to fix this in 2014 but failed. As the passing game remained bottom of the league the FO put more and more pressure on Harbaugh. Roman was the first scapegoat, then the axe fell on Jim. His personal issues with the FO would've been alleviated by winning. We would've won in 2014 if we had a legitimate passing attack. The defense/run game held their own.

IMO the underline football problem, other than Jim's personality and Jed/Baalke, was Kaepernicks inability to lead a more complex passing attack.

Lol
Had nothing to do with no receivers, f**king s**t O-line... I can go on...

All we hear is that Balkke DID NOT give this team talent thru the years on the drafts.... BUT it's on the qb..

Dude he's gone so get over him already.. your man crush is old.
[ Edited by jeepzilla on Jul 29, 2017 at 8:22 PM ]
  • thl408
Kyle's interviews are a good listen, talking about the first two post training camp practice pressers. Answers the question clearly and always a nugget of information that isn't cliche. The answers will probably get shorter during the season. Glad he's a good interview.
Lol. Last 15 pages are soooo

Pads come on tomorrow snitches!
Shanny be like;

[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jul 30, 2017 at 3:48 AM ]

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Lack of a good quarterback.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

If healthy 49ers have a good quarterback.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

If healthy 49ers have a good quarterback.

Agreed...he may not be the type to carry a team but certainly be efficient within this WCO --- you know Kyle knows him better and the playbook should be wide open; Kyle will certainly scheme him up. He'll have to watch his turnovers and choose the correct calls and make sound pre and post snap decisions.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 30, 2017 at 8:31 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Kyle's interviews are a good listen, talking about the first two post training camp practice pressers. Answers the question clearly and always a nugget of information that isn't cliche. The answers will probably get shorter during the season. Glad he's a good interview.

It's gonna be fun hearing him talk about plays. The dude is just an Xs and Os savant. I've been following him real close since his Houston days because I loved that offense and since we weren't running a WCO I went out and found schemes that appealed to me. Can't wait to see this install.....that doesn't mean it's gonna be successful but I'm enthused that we are actually trying to recapture our roots.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Kyle gave a very extensive explanation on the importance of a pocket-passing quarterback today when asked about a quarterback's ability to be mobile. It gives us a clear look into what Kyle wants in his quarterback. He basically implied that he prefers a statue to a mobile QB because the statue has been forced to function from the pocket, while mobile QBs have always had mobility as their crutch.

In short, if you're a scrambling QB or a sandlot-type QB, Kyle doesn't want anything to do with you. He wants the classic pocket-passing quarterback. Something to keep in mind for all us draft forum nerds.

I'm really glad Shanahan made that clear in what he wants or looks for in his QB. A lot of head coaches don't seem to believe in that and they just settle for what's in the roster or best available QB out there.

Finally the 49ers got a head coach I've always hoped for.

Man i loved this statement also, Kolohe. I never really thought about it under these stark terms, but that is what we have needed all these yrs.
Share 49ersWebzone