There are 230 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Steve was playing prostyle offense, under center in college so he wasn't behind the curve like the mobile qb of today. It's a shame those guys didn't have the prostyle in college to help them out early on. They could be an exciting dual threat like Steve, but instead fall off the waste side in 2-3 years.

Young played in the immediate precursor to the Air Raid offense. It was anything but pro style. He was a mess in Tampa.

He had a long road to travel from running QB to dominant pocket passer but on his favor was having some unbelievable coaching in the NFL as well as those coaches having far more time to work with him then they would have nowadays but it came down to Steve's desire, work ethic and trust in his coaches that all the repetitive crap he was doing would make him a far better QB.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jul 31, 2017 at 7:05 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Steve was playing prostyle offense, under center in college so he wasn't behind the curve like the mobile qb of today. It's a shame those guys didn't have the prostyle in college to help them out early on. They could be an exciting dual threat like Steve, but instead fall off the waste side in 2-3 years.

Young played the immediate precursor to the Air Raid offense. It was anything but pro style. He was a mess in Tampa.

He was undercenter. Tampa was a total mess of a team back then too. He was running for his life. I saw some of those games.

Link

Prostyle. 2 backset.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 31, 2017 at 7:14 AM ]
He was undercenter. Tampa was a total mess of a team back then too. He was running for his life. I saw some of those games.

Playing under center doesn't necessarily define it as a pro style offense. It was a very bare bones, simple passing offense that had little in comparison to NFL offenses. Leach and Mumme took those concepts and further streamlined them and wound up with the Air Raid.

Gillman revolutionized offense, but Scovil and Edwards streamlined it so that college kids — and not professionals — could excel with Gillman's pro-style concepts. The story of the Air Raid over the last twenty years is simply this story retold over and over again.

Mumme, Leach, and company famously made many pilgrimages to BYU during this time, including back when Mumme was still at Copperas Cove as a high school coach. There they studied everything about BYU's system and essentially stole it verbatim, except they eventually began adding their own wrinkles based on their experiences: they began using more and more shotgun, more spread sets, ceased flipping their formations, and generally tailored the offense to what their players — high school and small college athletes — could do.

The idea behind the "original" Air Raid package was very simple; indeed, originally, it was just the Hal Mumme and Mike Leach translation of the old BYU playbook.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jul 31, 2017 at 7:18 AM ]
Made me appreciate Steve Young more in that he was able to put aside his innate running talent to stay in the pocket orchestrate and take the hits to exhaust the offense and THEN beat them with his running.

Steve also cut is teeth in the USFL as well. Many people don't remember that. Greats like Young and Jim Kelley played in the USFL before Donald Trump effed that up.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Kyle nailed it on the spread vs. pro-style topic here.

Kyle on mobile QB's

Ditto
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Kyle took the defense to school.

Interesting that on the first day of pads, when the defense can get more aggressive, it's the offense that shines.

Who do I believe? Lol

This is exactly why I hate reports from TC.

Its not an actual game and we don't get to see it with our own eyes. The only great TC reports are that no one got injured.

Excellent call Donnie!

Interesting that on the first day of pads, when the defense can get more aggressive, it's the offense that shines.

Who do I believe? Lol

Its not an actual game and we don't get to see it with our own eyes. The only great TC reports are that no one got injured.

its better we are seeing reports of both. Probably means both are getting in good work, just depends on which part the reporter was exposed to for their perspective. I would hate to see it constant in one or the other sucks consistently
^ Such a great topic and discussion. I think Phoenix hit on the most important aspect:

"...coaches having far more time to work with him then they would have nowadays but it came down to Steve's desire, work ethic and trust in his coaches that all the repetitive crap he was doing would make him a far better QB."

But to qnnhan7's point, it really makes you appreciate Steve that much more. He STILL had to do it and trust the process. And it paid off.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 31, 2017 at 8:06 AM ]
Shanny recaps todays practice

He loves that grey long sleeved tee

Its like Harbs' black sweater and khakis

Bill Walsh too.

He'd probably look like a pencil neck in one of those sleeveless sweat tops. Gotta have some guns for that.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Who do I believe? Lol

Shhhh. I totally forgot, thats how it should be damn it. Were owed every ounce of good luck this year

By the time season rolls around, the OL is going to look forward to real games, where they don't have to go up against our DL/front 7. Playing against someone else other than our front 7 will be like a breeze for our OL. But it will have made them sharp.

At a boy Paso. Thats what makes championship teams and how you improve, this team is starved on great competition and were definitely in the right direction.

Someones gotta say it.. Arrow up snitches lol.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Aug 1, 2017 at 12:29 AM ]
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

He'd probably look like a pencil neck in one of those sleeveless sweat tops. Gotta have some guns for that.

Like this guy.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Like this guy.

Holding, Seattle-Defense #25. 15 yard penalty... First down San Francisco .
Share 49ersWebzone