There are 272 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
^ Such a great topic and discussion. I think Phoenix hit on the most important aspect:

"...coaches having far more time to work with him then they would have nowadays but it came down to Steve's desire, work ethic and trust in his coaches that all the repetitive crap he was doing would make him a far better QB."

But to qnnhan7's point, it really makes you appreciate Steve that much more. He STILL had to do it and trust the process. And it paid off.

Well, Steve *had* to get better in the pocket otherwise Joe would have kept his starting position. I remember him getting playing time in the playoffs, and one of the first things he does his break the QB rushing record. Steve had the luxury, or maybe in his mind, the challenge to unseat a super bowl QB and had to stay and watch Montana for a very long time before he got his chance to start. For the most part Montana was pretty durable and it wasn't until the last few years of his career that he got some injuries. So Steve had the time to master the pocket, unlike Colin who was basically thrown in there in his 3rd year. I think Colin would have been better if - instead of simplifying the offense, just limit his field of vision to one half of the field and let him develop over time his vision of the whole field, but then again - he was so talented at running, why bother even with half the field if he could make a first down with his legs. If I had the power to go back in time, first thing I would change is Jed's decision to let Harbaugh go. Second thing I would do is get Colin some speedster WR's to push the DB's back like how Kyle got Goodwin and the rest of these jitter bug WR's. That would have helped develop the QB position. It helps QB development if the QB has someone to throw to.
Originally posted by Giedi:
^ Such a great topic and discussion. I think Phoenix hit on the most important aspect:

"...coaches having far more time to work with him then they would have nowadays but it came down to Steve's desire, work ethic and trust in his coaches that all the repetitive crap he was doing would make him a far better QB."

But to qnnhan7's point, it really makes you appreciate Steve that much more. He STILL had to do it and trust the process. And it paid off.

Well, Steve *had* to get better in the pocket otherwise Joe would have kept his starting position. I remember him getting playing time in the playoffs, and one of the first things he does his break the QB rushing record. Steve had the luxury, or maybe in his mind, the challenge to unseat a super bowl QB and had to stay and watch Montana for a very long time before he got his chance to start. For the most part Montana was pretty durable and it wasn't until the last few years of his career that he got some injuries. So Steve had the time to master the pocket, unlike Colin who was basically thrown in there in his 3rd year. I think Colin would have been better if - instead of simplifying the offense, just limit his field of vision to one half of the field and let him develop over time his vision of the whole field, but then again - he was so talented at running, why bother even with half the field if he could make a first down with his legs. If I had the power to go back in time, first thing I would change is Jed's decision to let Harbaugh go. Second thing I would do is get Colin some speedster WR's to push the DB's back like how Kyle got Goodwin and the rest of these jitter bug WR's. That would have helped develop the QB position. It helps QB development if the QB has someone to throw to.

If I could go back in time, I'd hire Kyle Shanahan and not draft a QB like Colin Kaepernick. Haha

If I could go back in time, I'd hire Kyle Shanahan and not draft a QB like Colin Kaepernick. Haha

This.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Heh. Well, Kyle has never won an NFL game as a head coach yet, so I'm in the wait and see regarding Kyle. Having said that, I just watched super bowl 16 all over again on the NFL game pass. I was so surprised how quick Montana's release was, and he was nowhere near the speed that colin had, but his throws (even at that age) was precise and quick. There are at least 4 throws in super bowl 16 that could have gone as interceptions but his release was so quick the db's could not get a bead on them and went off their fingers. I mean his decision making was astoundingly fast. 1, 2, 3, bam the pass was gone.

Heh. Well, Kyle has never won an NFL game as a head coach yet, so I'm in the wait and see regarding Kyle. Having said that, I just watched super bowl 16 all over again on the NFL game pass. I was so surprised how quick Montana's release was, and he was nowhere near the speed that colin had, but his throws (even at that age) was precise and quick. There are at least 4 throws in super bowl 16 that could have gone as interceptions but his release was so quick the db's could not get a bead on them and went off their fingers. I mean his decision making was astoundingly fast. 1, 2, 3, bam the pass was gone.

Haha...I was just joking...a bit. Yeah and it's not like Joe had anything close to a strong arm. For him it was 90% cerebral which includes throwing with some serious anticipation!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Haha...I was just joking...a bit. Yeah and it's not like Joe had anything close to a strong arm. For him it was 90% cerebral which includes throwing with some serious anticipation!

It was amazing how accurate he was on the move. Specially rolling to his right. Kap on the other hand, once he rolls to his right, he's going to run for a first down, and defenders don't have to worry about the pass once he gets out of it, unfortunately. If Kap does land on another team, all teams have to do is force him out of the pocket and he's just a runner from then on. If he can just get on a team with four very very fast WR's that can go vertical, he might do decently. heh... oh well...

Kaepernick has an elongated release. It's part of the reason he has to throw so hard. His slow release gives away ball location thus giving defenders a jump on the ball.

He has to gun it in to avoid ints. Anybow, this also limits YAC since defenders get a jump on the ball.

Rushing is the only thing Kaepernick does better than Montana.
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:

Kaepernick has an elongated release. It's part of the reason he has to throw so hard. His slow release gives away ball location thus giving defenders a jump on the ball.

He has to gun it in to avoid ints. Anybow, this also limits YAC since defenders get a jump on the ball.

To be fair, you could almost make the same argument about Young. Running was the only thing he did better than Montana. And that's coming from a Steve Young guy. You are talking about the GOAT. I don't care what anyone says about Brady, he aint no effin Joe......
Originally posted by jonnydel:

To be fair, you could almost make the same argument about Young. Running was the only thing he did better than Montana. And that's coming from a Steve Young guy. You are talking about the GOAT. I don't care what anyone says about Brady, he aint no effin Joe......

I always loved Joe's release and throwing motion. As I've called it before, here's a little WCO unicorn.....Joe throwing a pass from the shotgun. This is 1981 vs Chicago.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by jonnydel:

I always loved Joe's release and throwing motion. As I've called it before, here's a little WCO unicorn.....Joe throwing a pass from the shotgun. This is 1981 vs Chicago.

Ohhh, that was the one!

This guy...just gets it.

Kyle on cutting Ellington:

"You want fast guys. You want quick guys. You want tall guys," Shanahan answered. "You want guys with great hands. Guys who are quick. Guys who can just flat-out run. Different types of abilities to use on certain plays. I thought we were a little front-loaded with some more inside receivers with the slot-type position. We had a little bit of a backup there. Trying to get some other guys to play a little bit more on the outside."
This guy...just gets it.

"You want fast guys. You want quick guys. You want tall guys," Shanahan answered. "You want guys with great hands. Guys who are quick. Guys who can just flat-out run. Different types of abilities to use on certain plays. I thought we were a little front-loaded with some more inside receivers with the slot-type position. We had a little bit of a backup there. Trying to get some other guys to play a little bit more on the outside."

I think you missed part of the quote where he said he wants guys that aren't injured every year
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 3, 2017 at 1:30 PM ]
That is just kyle being diplomatic...and nice. Bruce has just disappointed since being here.
Originally posted by Niners816:

Seeing Joe or Steve in shotgun is so f'n weird
This guy...just gets it.

Aldrick
Trent
Goodwin

They can all do what Mr. Glass was supposed to do
Share 49ersWebzone