There are 254 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Anybody else watch the 1on1's today? I don't think the routes were adlib and I loved the tree I saw from all of them. Really professional and nice to see, far more than what we've seen over the years (3 routes total).

From where we've been the past couple season this is amazing to hear
Originally posted by NYniner85:

He is certainly a straight-shooter!
Originally posted by NCommand:

He is certainly a straight-shooter!

It's refreshing to here something postive lol
It's refreshing to here something postive lol

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
can't tell if there is a new presser cause KS wearing the same s**t

lol yeah worse than Harbaugh
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Better than the alternative though.
Originally posted by Ryanoceros:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I really wish we would have gone hard for Pryor. IMO he would have been a great fit.

Nothing stopping us from going for him next year. Redskins can only franchise one player. Pryor knows he'll get PAID if he puts up similar numbers again.

The only reason he didn't get a long term deal he wanted was because he is a one-year wonder.

True, But we could have locked him up this year. His year of film last year is impressive, as are his measurables. He would have been a perfect complement to this group.
Don't blame him taking a 1 year deal with a qb like Cousins over our situation unless we have him what he was looking for in the beginning. Next year we can go after him and Cousins

That's very true. I didn't think about that little package deal. That's intriguing. We'll definitely have the cap space to pull it off.

Might as well give him a year working with our next QB.
Sorry for posting the whole article but too many good nuggets in here:

Shanahan confident in 49ers: 'I think we'll be able to surprise some people'
By Matt Maiocco August 07, 2017 6:08 PM

SANTA CLARA – A year ago, Kyle Shanahan was at the controls of one of the most high-powered offenses in NFL history.

He parlayed his success as the Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator into his new role as the head coach of the 49ers – a team that featured one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

But Shanahan said on "The 49ers Insider Podcast" on NBCSportsBayArea.com that he believes his team could be a lot better than expected. The 49ers are coming off a 2-14 season under Chip Kelly, who was fired after just one season.

"I feel confident with our guys," Shanahan said. "We got some guys who compete. Collectively, we have a smart group of people who can all play together. And I think we'll be able to surprise some people. But the biggest thing that always comes into (play) is injuries."

The 49ers targeted Brian Hoyer as the quarterback. Hoyer has performed well during training camp. And Shanahan is pleased with the improvements at running back and wide receiver.

"We didn't want to do it by going out and investing in all top picks or tons of money to do that," Shanahan said. "You want to build it the right way and add some competition to make your team better overall."

The 49ers added more depth at running back behind Carlos Hyde, who enters the final year of his contract. The team signed Tim Hightower as a free agent, acquired Kapri Bibbs in a trade, drafted Joe Williams in the fourth round, and signed Matt Breida as a priority undrafted rookie.

Hyde has appeared to benefit from the competition while strengthening his hold on the starting job. Shanahan said he would never guarantee a roster spot to anyone, but he made it clear he expects Hyde to have a major role.

"I think he's playing at a very high level right now in practice," Shanahan said.

"He looks good out here. People who can help us, we're not trying to get rid of. And Carlos is a very good back who I believe can help us a lot."

Shanahan said he likes the competition that is going on at any number of positions on the team. The 49ers open the exhibition season on Friday at Kansas City, and battles will continue to take place throughout the roster.

"I feel like you're in a good situation when you're a week into training camp and you have no idea how the final roster is going to be like," Shanahan said. "We're as strong at the running back and receiver positions as any position on our team.

"I've been in plenty of camps where at the end of OTAs, I already knew what it's going to be, unless there were injuries. I can't say that here. And it's a good problem to have."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/shanahan-confident-49ers-i-think-well-be-able-surprise-some-people
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 7, 2017 at 8:22 PM ]
So with all the good vibrations a happening now what are we regarding as a pass mark for number of wins this season for Kyle based on the roster he has? Does that matter year 1?

My underlying question is that as many have said Kyle is a genius and that goes beyond game planning in a massive franchise rebuild - will he be making strategic moves that incorporates our position in the league and thus the draft?

Or will he try to win everything as fast as possible?

Will he try to build depth on the roster and rotate to get more experience?

Will he hold back on his playbook until he has his ducks lined up and ready?

Whatever the answers I am so excited about this journey. I'd be interested in others thoughts.

Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
So with all the good vibrations a happening now what are we regarding as a pass mark for number of wins this season for Kyle based on the roster he has? Does that matter year 1?

My underlying question is that as many have said Kyle is a genius and that goes beyond game planning in a massive franchise rebuild - will he be making strategic moves that incorporates our position in the league and thus the draft?

Whatever the answers I am so excited about this journey. I'd be interested in others thoughts.

All great questions. But he's been waiting his whole life for this job so you can bet your ass he'll be playing to win every game. At the start of a rebuild, he wants to see who he can go to battle with too...that will help in evaluations and knowing what missing pieces need to be added next off season.
All great questions. But he's been waiting his whole life for this job so you can bet your ass he'll be playing to win every game. At the start of a rebuild, he wants to see who he can go to battle with too...that will help in evaluations and knowing what missing pieces need to be added next off season.

That is what us fans really want to see. No guts no glory!

It is hard to contain myself and worry that I am expecting too much. He is human after all and blew the SB so the drama is gonna be real this year!

Predicting the Giants game in November to be the turning point!
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

No not really. At least Shanahan isn't wearing $20 khakis from Walmart making him look 15 years older than he really is. Harbaugh didn't even wear team issued apparel he just had a 49er logo sewn on a generic black sweatshirt. KS has the same style athletic wear he had as Falcons OC. He doesn't try and impress anybody just wears what's comfortable.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:

I'm pretty sure that with brand new QB's, the offense will be basic - in the sense that his full playbook won't be in operation until next year probably. The QB's have to get familiar with the system and even in Atlanta with an elite veteran QB the playbook probably didn't expand until the second year. He also has a 6 year contract so he really doesn't have to *win now* so to speak, and can take his time to build the team properly without having to spend a lot of cap money on expensive veterans to *win now.* He's going to do everything to win each game, but he's not going into cap hell to do it, or trade a decades worth of draft picks for a can't miss blue chip player. I think so far, he's taken a balanced approach knowing he has a little bit of time before he's under the gun.
With Hoyer, the starting QB is not brand new to the system having played for KS before. I think it's vital to the teams success that Hoyer make it through this season without significant injury. If not, they will get another top pick next season.
Share 49ersWebzone