There are 265 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by scooterp10:
With Hoyer, the starting QB is not brand new to the system having played for KS before. I think it's vital to the teams success that Hoyer make it through this season without significant injury. If not, they will get another top pick next season.

This. The playbook is absolutely wide open. Hoyer is now getting his PhD. in this system. That's significant for Kyle's X's & O's.
York finally found an all encompassed 'teacher' of football he wanted in Kyle.

Calling Tomsula a teacher doe
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
With Hoyer, the starting QB is not brand new to the system having played for KS before. I think it's vital to the teams success that Hoyer make it through this season without significant injury. If not, they will get another top pick next season.

This. The playbook is absolutely wide open. Hoyer is now getting his PhD. in this system. That's significant for Kyle's X's & O's.

With Kyle at the helm, I think he'll be able to deal with offensive injuries better than defensive injuries. I think Kyle is good enough to scheme around an injured lineman, a sore RB or a dinged up QB. Defense, on the other hand, you really can't disguise or scheme around defensive injuries. *But* if he has that elite pass rusher (I was hoping Pita would be making noise in TC, but alas nothing) that makes any secondary injuries less threatening. I'm hoping BeatHard is the real deal, I'll find out in the first pre-season game how he looks, but if *he is* I'm hoping they draft a first round pass rusher in the next draft and a 2nd round QB pick, and leave Cousins in Foreskin land next year.
Didn't know before that Kyle has been NFL OC since age 28. WTF that's amazing. He's an absolute prodigy in truest sense of the word.
[ Edited by ninerjok on Aug 8, 2017 at 9:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:

With Kyle at the helm, I think he'll be able to deal with offensive injuries better than defensive injuries. I think Kyle is good enough to scheme around an injured lineman, a sore RB or a dinged up QB. Defense, on the other hand, you really can't disguise or scheme around defensive injuries. *But* if he has that elite pass rusher (I was hoping Pita would be making noise in TC, but alas nothing) that makes any secondary injuries less threatening. I'm hoping BeatHard is the real deal, I'll find out in the first pre-season game how he looks, but if *he is* I'm hoping they draft a first round pass rusher in the next draft and a 2nd round QB pick, and leave Cousins in Foreskin land next year.

Yeah, no question. The two schemes are opposite that way. There's not much of any scheme on defense with little X's & O's and will rely more on premier talent and fundamentals.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Didn't know before that Kyle has been NFL OC since age 28. WTF that's amazing. He's an absolute prodigy in truest sense of the word.

Been a OC since the age of 28.....been around NFL head coaches his whole life. Now that is amazing!!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Been a OC since the age of 28.....been around NFL head coaches his whole life. Now that is amazing!!!

If Kyle can find that Franchise QB (say like a Tom Brady) he'll be coaching the 49ers for a very long time. The guy is only like 38 or some ungodly young number like that. Add 20 years, he'll only be 58. P.S. Our President of the United states says BeatHard *is* the 2nd coming of Tom Brady, man I hope he is right!

Supposedly he was the ball boy when his dad was OC here under Coach Walsh. I didn't work it out to see if that fit timewise, but if not here, he was ballboy somewhere else growing up. Somebody like that sweats NFL when he exercises. You grow up around it and in it, is there any wonder the guy becomes the best OC out there?

There was an interesting quote posted sometime back in which Kyle supposedly said "he has gone thru every offensive play and studied them all." Thinking about that, could that even be possible? For example are there just a finite number of offensive plays? I thought that every new situation brings into play new possibilites for new plays. But maybe there are only a finite number of plays. If so, he supposedly claims he has examined each and every one. If that is true ..or close...that is quite an acheivement. Still, is it possible there are only a finite number of O Plays? I'm sure he has thought of most of them... but watching his playcalling for ATL was truly watching an artist at work. The thing i thought about tho was that he never would agree to come to this sink hole. Yet he did and here he is. 'Amazin' as Yogi would say.

To get the perfect HC, he has to be an OC, he has to have had a ton of experience (and starting as OC at 28 is a feat just in and of itself), and he has to have shown a real feel for the job....which he has done. The obvious thing when listening to him is just how well versed in his trade he is. Don't compare him to tomsul nor chip, and definitely not harbaw. Just listen to the guy and what you hear is a lot like a white haired professor we had here once upon a time, far, far away, and long ago.

And if that sounds like a fairy tale to you, well, that is pretty much of what it is. When tomsul got sacked ...and then Chip...truly the last person I expected to end up here was the hottest hot shot of all OCs in the league. And yet, here he is. Mmmmmnnhhh.
I'm trying to keep my mindset in more of a realistic perception toward our offense mainly because there will be another team every Sunday that is trying to stop what we are doing and we won't be scoring 30+ points every week.

Just think,
Harbaugh was supposed to be the QB whisperer and that aspect of his resume was a disappointment. Harbaugh was successful because he is great at the KISS method and motivation. Now include some great talent we had on Defense and Jim was always competitive...until he was not.
Tomsula came in and we were all thinking positive in that he was a players' coach and would improve on Harbaugh's stubbornness. That changed the instant players began dropping out. The season was also a wake up call in that we need a smarter coach.
In comes Kelly, the genius breath of fresh air with good explanations during media interviews and a little more transparency that the 49ers went away from at the same time sort of alienating their fanbase. Hopes were high because 49ers fans were desperate to, once again, be the team that is the trailblazer and not the copycat. Unfortunately, lack of offensive talent and Kelly's philosophy was a slap in the face that this can't work in the NFL. Our defense suffered badly.

And now we have Shanahan. We saw what he did in ATL and how his players have career years everywhere he goes. He is bringing back a more simple defense and he is fortunate enough to time it right with us finally reloading the talent. Defense should be much better but do note that our offense lacks a s**tload of talent in the one aspect that is required to score points: passing game. Our #1 WR is a #2 on any other team. Our QB appears to have "gotten it" but way more than questions than answers. Kyle's offense is very complicated.

Think we will do better than the last two years but I think it may take a while to be as efficient on offense as we were with Harbaugh. Just know that we more likely will be scoring 17-23 points than we will be 24-30. Why? Because it is hard to do in the NFL. I will add that Kyle is the first coach we have had in a long time that has a proven successful system. That's the biggest fact to take.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 8, 2017 at 10:57 AM ]

I've been following him since 2008-09 with Houston. Of course being shanny's kid was the main reason for this but his offense was just like his dads (and kubiak). I was not for the Harbaugh departure in any way but the only thing that was gonna at least calm me was if we would've got mike with Kyle attached. Of course that didn't happen, but I really can't convey how happy I am that we landed him. It just feels right to have a variant of a true WCO home. Nothing is guaranteed but I really do think Kyle is gonna be really successful.

Originally posted by Niners816:

I've been following him since 2008-09 with Houston. Of course being shanny's kid was the main reason for this but his offense was just like his dads (and kubiak). I was not for the Harbaugh departure in any way but the only thing that was gonna at least calm me was if we would've got mike with Kyle attached. Of course that didn't happen, but I really can't convey how happy I am that we landed him. It just feels right to have a variant of a true WCO home. Nothing is guaranteed but I really do think Kyle is gonna be really successful.

Worked out even better, we got Kyle with Mike attached and a respectful Admin to pair them up with.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm trying to keep my mindset in more of a realistic perception toward our offense mainly because there will be another team every Sunday that is trying to stop what we are doing and we won't be scoring 30+ points every week.

Just think,
Harbaugh was supposed to be the QB whisperer and that aspect of his resume was a disappointment. Harbaugh was successful because he is great at the KISS method and motivation. Now include some great talent we had on Defense and Jim was always competitive...until he was not.
Tomsula came in and we were all thinking positive in that he was a players' coach and would improve on Harbaugh's stubbornness. That changed the instant players began dropping out. The season was also a wake up call in that we need a smarter coach.
In comes Kelly, the genius breath of fresh air with good explanations during media interviews and a little more transparency that the 49ers went away from at the same time sort of alienating their fanbase. Hopes were high because 49ers fans were desperate to, once again, be the team that is the trailblazer and not the copycat. Unfortunately, lack of offensive talent and Kelly's philosophy was a slap in the face that this can't work in the NFL. Our defense suffered badly.

And now we have Shanahan. We saw what he did in ATL and how his players have career years everywhere he goes. He is bringing back a more simple defense and he is fortunate enough to time it right with us finally reloading the talent. Defense should be much better but do note that our offense lacks a s**tload of talent in the one aspect that is required to score points: passing game. Our #1 WR is a #2 on any other team. Our QB appears to have "gotten it" but way more than questions than answers. Kyle's offense is very complicated.

Think we will do better than the last two years but I think it may take a while to be as efficient on offense as we were with Harbaugh. Just know that we more likely will be scoring 17-23 points than we will be 24-30. Why? Because it is hard to do in the NFL. I will add that Kyle is the first coach we have had in a long time that has a proven successful system. That's the biggest fact to take.

Good post Joe. I agree with almost all but would add a guess on Ws and Kyle's influence on that.. IDK how many wins we have but do think we get a couple more Ws just because of the play callling. So instead of the average # of Ws that most folks are going to guess at, say 5 Ws(Vegas line is 4.5), i would add another 3 Ws to that based on Kyle's playcalling....or 8 Ws. Just my guess...but kyle will make a difference, no doubt.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 8, 2017 at 1:48 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Just think,

Good post Joe. I agree with almost all but would add a guess on Ws and Kyle's influence on that.. IDK how many wins we have but do think we get a couple more Ws just because of the play callling. So instead of the average # of Ws that most folks are going to guess at, say 5 Ws(Vegas line is 4.5), i would add another 3 Ws to that based on Kyle's playcalling....or 8 Ws. Just my guess...but kyle will make a difference, no doubt.

Well, considering this is the first season in the last 3 years where the talent has been upgraded, I would say 3 more wins than last year simply based on that. Injuries have been horrendous for us the past 2 or 3 years. After that, I will need to see if Kyle's offense is too overwhelming in the beginning for these guys.

Just think,

Well, considering this is the first season in the last 3 years where the talent has been upgraded, I would say 3 more wins than last year simply based on that. Injuries have been horrendous for us the past 2 or 3 years. After that, I will need to see if Kyle's offense is too overwhelming in the beginning for these guys.

Keep the opposing teams offensive points in the lower 20s or lower and we have a great chance to stack up Ws

Just think,

One of Harbaugh's best skills is/was to draw good assistants to him. Bringing Fangio and Donatel with him from Stanford really set up a great run. They understood the strengths of the D (front seven) and filled in with adequate role players in the backfield. The offense? Mediocre most of the time.

If Lynch turns this team around in a year or two then I will evaluate Baalke down several notches. I thought there was a disconnect between what Baalke wanted and what Harbaugh needed.
Share 49ersWebzone