Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
what position is she coaching?

She was assisting with the wide receivers. I don't know if that will continue to be her role or not.

Well the WR's did great against KC so whatever the WR coaching staff did hopefully continues. We're in Denver and we'll need some offense in that place.

A home game in Denver?

Yikes, big boo boo there! I guess I'm human! Darn!

I just rewatched Atlanta vs Greenbay NFC championship game, and Kyle handled the Green Bay defense with ease. I'm wondering though, if he'll focus too much on offense during his tenure with the 49ers. Green Bay under McCarthy seems to have developed a one sided ball club. Lots of offense and not much defense. I'm glad Kyle drafted defense first and maybe that's how he'll approach his tenure here. While I love great offenses, I'm a tad worried that - we'll have too much offense and not a lot of defense. We shall see...

Jon Lynch hopefully is helping Saleh behind the scenes.
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Yep. Jed's forgiven. No point holding a grudge.

WWJD....
Originally posted by Follower:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Yep. Jed's forgiven. No point holding a grudge.

WWJD....

Yeah, what would Kawakami do?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

She was assisting with the wide receivers. I don't know if that will continue to be her role or not.

Well the WR's did great against KC so whatever the WR coaching staff did hopefully continues. We're in Denver and we'll need some offense in that place.

A home game in Denver?

I just rewatched Atlanta vs Greenbay NFC championship game, and Kyle handled the Green Bay defense with ease. I'm wondering though, if he'll focus too much on offense during his tenure with the 49ers. Green Bay under McCarthy seems to have developed a one sided ball club. Lots of offense and not much defense. I'm glad Kyle drafted defense first and maybe that's how he'll approach his tenure here. While I love great offenses, I'm a tad worried that - we'll have too much offense and not a lot of defense. We shall see...

Considering we don't have an OC in place it's natural for him to focus more on the offense from a coaching standpoint. I think Kyle will be in Saleh's ear talking about how he would attack our defense and to use that in game plans and things of that nature. It is awesome knowing how gung-ho Kyle was about getting Thomas and Foster and then Ahkello in Round 3.

This will be a learning year for Kyle which is a part of the reason why I'm thinking next year will be the year we make some serious noise.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

A home game in Denver?

Considering we don't have an OC in place it's natural for him to focus more on the offense from a coaching standpoint. I think Kyle will be in Saleh's ear talking about how he would attack our defense and to use that in game plans and things of that nature. It is awesome knowing how gung-ho Kyle was about getting Thomas and Foster and then Ahkello in Round 3.

This will be a learning year for Kyle which is a part of the reason why I'm thinking next year will be the year we make some serious noise.

I agree. Kyle will be learning a lot as a rookie Head Coach, and there are several coaching rookies here too so all of them will be learning. Just rewatched the Atlanta vs Patriots super bowl and if there is a weakness in Kyle it's that his 4 minute run offense (at least in the Green Bay and Patriots game) sucks, and secondly we just don't know how his defense will materialize. If he's using Dan Quinn's defensive blue print (which all the articles point to), then that's a problem too because Dan Quinn's defense could not put pressure on Tom or that his DB's were burned often. Quinn's defense were mediocre in a lot of defensive passing statistics and also in the two games I saw, Quinn's DB's could not really slow down the Green Bay and Patriot's passing attacks.

Kyle needs to make sure lean to lean on Lynch and help Lynch draft big cover corners like Lott and Wright, or great man to man guys like Eric Davis. Because, I don't want a number one offense like the Pats had with Moss or Atlanta had with Matt and *lose* the super bowl. I want a defense as superb as our prior super bowl winning defenses or possibly Tampa Bay's Tampa 2 super bowl defense and as long as the offense can ball control and have a good 4rth quarter 4 minute offense, I'd be happy because defense win's championships.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

A home game in Denver?

I don't think John Lynch will let that happen. I'm sure he will make sure the team stays balanced with getting very good defenders thru the draft or FA for this ball club.

I think GBs FO is very overrated.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

A home game in Denver?

I don't think John Lynch will let that happen. I'm sure he will make sure the team stays balanced with getting very good defenders thru the draft or FA for this ball club.

Heh, actually I don't really want a balanced team. I want a defense dominated team with a good ball control all weather offense. Right now Kyle's WCO is to pass happy for me, and I don't really see a good 4rth quarter ground game that can put teams away (at least that's what I saw in the two playoff games I saw). Hope that changes, and hope that Kyle develops that ground and pound 4rth quarter run game. On defense, I'd like our defense to dominate like our previous super bowl defenses (except for the 5th super bowl that had more offense). The Atlanta defense, for some reason, disappeared in the super bowl. Maybe injuries, maybe they weren't as good as their statistics say, but down 20+ points and come back to win the game, means that Atlanta defense has something wrong with it, and Kyle wants that defense for the 49ers.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I think GBs FO is very overrated.

That may be the case, but that's Green Bay's problem. Our problem is to continue to have great drafts like the '86 and 2011 drafts. (at least that's my hope) Those drafts were home run drafts and if we have just one more of those kinds of drafts, we should be knocking on the Super Bowl door.
Heh, actually I don't really want a balanced team. I want a defense dominated team with a good ball control all weather offense. Right now Kyle's WCO is to pass happy for me, and I don't really see a good 4rth quarter ground game that can put teams away (at least that's what I saw in the two playoff games I saw). Hope that changes, and hope that Kyle develops that ground and pound 4rth quarter run game. On defense, I'd like our defense to dominate like our previous super bowl defenses (except for the 5th super bowl that had more offense). The Atlanta defense, for some reason, disappeared in the super bowl. Maybe injuries, maybe they weren't as good as their statistics say, but down 20+ points and come back to win the game, means that Atlanta defense has something wrong with it, and Kyle wants that defense for the 49ers.

I'm the opposite. I want a WCO that can move the ball at will with top WRs, consistent RB/FBs who can catch, and great QB play. Three yards and a cloud of dust should be buried in Ohio and Michigan...for all time! But that does not mean I want a bad defense. The niners drafted their defensive backfield in one year during Walsh's time and they played extremely well largely due to Seifert's excellent schemes and coaching. Having Lott among them didn't hurt. So...the draft next year should concentrate on finding elite players at--QB, WR, DB...in that order! Coaching can make up for the rest. They already have Foster, three potentially elite DL, good RB/FBs.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I'm the opposite. I want a WCO that can move the ball at will with top WRs, consistent RB/FBs who can catch, and great QB play. Three yards and a cloud of dust should be buried in Ohio and Michigan...for all time! But that does not mean I want a bad defense. The niners drafted their defensive backfield in one year during Walsh's time and they played extremely well largely due to Seifert's excellent schemes and coaching. Having Lott among them didn't hurt. So...the draft next year should concentrate on finding elite players at--QB, WR, DB...in that order! Coaching can make up for the rest. They already have Foster, three potentially elite DL, good RB/FBs.

The thing about the Zone run, is if you play against a very disciplined and talented front 7, I think you will have more problems running the ball than a man blocking scheme, where you can run traps and sweeps. I think the zone run is very effective against a team that is trying to shut down the pass and running stunts. But when the Zone run is facing a defense that doesn't do a lot of stunts and blitzes and is very disciplined, I think it gets exposed. I think that's what happened to the Atlanta ground game in the super bowl. I think the solution to that is to run more man schemes in the 4rth quarter to put away teams when Kyle has the lead. I know he can teach those schemes, and I think he needs a couple of O Linemen, not every one, but a couple that are tremendous man blockers that can be utilized in the 4rth Qtr. to run those schemes.

For example, in one run in the 4rth QTR, Bellicheat just had the defensive line squeeze the line of scrimmage and had a DB track the speedy RB as he stretched the run outside and the DB just tracked him down and tackled him at the LOS. A power sweep against that defense would have gained a lot of yardage, but because it was the zone run blocking scheme, there were no holes and no gains.

The thing about the Zone run, is if you play against a very disciplined and talented front 7, I think you will have more problems running the ball than a man blocking scheme, where you can run traps and sweeps. I think the zone run is very effective against a team that is trying to shut down the pass and running stunts. But when the Zone run is facing a defense that doesn't do a lot of stunts and blitzes and is very disciplined, I think it gets exposed. I think that's what happened to the Atlanta ground game in the super bowl. I think the solution to that is to run more man schemes in the 4rth quarter to put away teams when Kyle has the lead. I know he can teach those schemes, and I think he needs a couple of O Linemen, not every one, but a couple that are tremendous man blockers that can be utilized in the 4rth Qtr. to run those schemes.

For example, in one run in the 4rth QTR, Bellicheat just had the defensive line squeeze the line of scrimmage and had a DB track the speedy RB as he stretched the run outside and the DB just tracked him down and tackled him at the LOS. A power sweep against that defense would have gained a lot of yardage, but because it was the zone run blocking scheme, there were no holes and no gains.

Not really arguing the effectiveness of the run blocking scheme. I just think being able to score is as important, and more fun to watch, than being able to stop scoring. The QBs ability to read and react to the defense is a key to any offense and particularly the WCO. Not sure whether Shanahan took the air out of the ball and changed to overly cautions play calling during the SB, but it appeared that way to me. Instead of using the passing game to open up the running game he relied on the defense to keep NE from scoring 19 points in the 4th Q--and missed! Oh well, hope that isn't a sign of his inability to handle pressure. Pretty sure it's not, but who knows?

Just went back and looked at playcalling...seems Kyle was using pretty varied calls so...just not working.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 16, 2017 at 12:13 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Not really arguing the effectiveness of the run blocking scheme. I just think being able to score is as important, and more fun to watch, than being able to stop scoring. The QBs ability to read and react to the defense is a key to any offense and particularly the WCO. Not sure whether Shanahan took the air out of the ball and changed to overly cautions play calling during the SB, but it appeared that way to me. Instead of using the passing game to open up the running game he relied on the defense to keep NE from scoring 19 points in the 4th Q--and missed! Oh well, hope that isn't a sign of his inability to handle pressure. Pretty sure it's not, but who knows?

Just went back and looked at playcalling...seems Kyle was using pretty varied calls so...just not working.

I agree, I like his pass first philosophy. I enjoy his offense and I love the way his offense can move the ball. However, his 4rth quarter run game didn't work in the Green Bay and the Patriot playoff games I watched. I'm thinking that may be a weakness in his offensive philosophy, in that he has no man blockers in his arsenal. My thinking is that - just as he has possession, speed, and red zone receivers, he should also have some variety in his offensive line so they can do more things in the 4rth QTR. I know Kyle's base offense really doesn't need overpowering man blockers like Harbaugh's offense did, but once Harbaugh got a lead, he usually kept it because of his power run offense that really overpowered most run defenses. I just don't want to be up 20 to zip in the super bowl and then lose the game.
I agree, I like his pass first philosophy. I enjoy his offense and I love the way his offense can move the ball. However, his 4rth quarter run game didn't work in the Green Bay and the Patriot playoff games I watched. I'm thinking that may be a weakness in his offensive philosophy, in that he has no man blockers in his arsenal. My thinking is that - just as he has possession, speed, and red zone receivers, he should also have some variety in his offensive line so they can do more things in the 4rth QTR. I know Kyle's base offense really doesn't need overpowering man blockers like Harbaugh's offense did, but once Harbaugh got a lead, he usually kept it because of his power run offense that really overpowered most run defenses. I just don't want to be up 20 to zip in the super bowl and then lose the game.

Harbaugh had some very interesting tweaks to his run game, but he didn't use the passing game to open up runs. I believe Shanahan will. With Hyde, Williams, etc. he will have the horses to do so this year...if they can all catch as well as run!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kyle learned a lot from the SB loss.
Share 49ersWebzone