There are 280 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Giedi:
I agree, I like his pass first philosophy. I enjoy his offense and I love the way his offense can move the ball. However, his 4rth quarter run game didn't work in the Green Bay and the Patriot playoff games I watched. I'm thinking that may be a weakness in his offensive philosophy, in that he has no man blockers in his arsenal. My thinking is that - just as he has possession, speed, and red zone receivers, he should also have some variety in his offensive line so they can do more things in the 4rth QTR. I know Kyle's base offense really doesn't need overpowering man blockers like Harbaugh's offense did, but once Harbaugh got a lead, he usually kept it because of his power run offense that really overpowered most run defenses. I just don't want to be up 20 to zip in the super bowl and then lose the game.

It doesn't matter. This offensive line can't run block worth a s**t anyway. Expect a lot of 3rd and longs.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I agree, I like his pass first philosophy. I enjoy his offense and I love the way his offense can move the ball. However, his 4rth quarter run game didn't work in the Green Bay and the Patriot playoff games I watched. I'm thinking that may be a weakness in his offensive philosophy, in that he has no man blockers in his arsenal. My thinking is that - just as he has possession, speed, and red zone receivers, he should also have some variety in his offensive line so they can do more things in the 4rth QTR. I know Kyle's base offense really doesn't need overpowering man blockers like Harbaugh's offense did, but once Harbaugh got a lead, he usually kept it because of his power run offense that really overpowered most run defenses. I just don't want to be up 20 to zip in the super bowl and then lose the game.

It doesn't matter. This offensive line can't run block worth a s**t anyway. Expect a lot of 3rd and longs.

Expect him to pass to open up the run then.
How effing sweet is it to hear from Hoyer talk about how hard Kyle is working on him and the QB's on FUNDAMENTALS. Rookie or seasoned veteran, it never ends.
Originally posted by NCommand:
How effing sweet is it to hear from Hoyer talk about how hard Kyle is working on him and the QB's on FUNDAMENTALS. Rookie or seasoned veteran, it never ends.

Cause staying consistent with your fundamentals makes throwing accurately second nature or atleast improves the %'s at worst.

Shocking news i know
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Cause staying consistent with your fundamentals makes throwing accurately second nature or atleast improves the %'s at worst.

Shocking news i know

Who needs fundamentals when you have talent- Kaep
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Shocking news i know

It can work for a short window as weve seen with Griffin and Newton..but we all know what you have to do at the end of the day especially if you wanna last.

Intrigued to see Mariota develop.. I dont think he's a sure thing yet.

Shocking news i know

First one in, last to leave...

...from the gym.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Yeah, I never got the feeling that Harbaugh focused on the fundamentals, he was a gifted QB and I think those came naturally to him that he may not have focused on it with his QB's.

Yeah, I never got the feeling that Harbaugh focused on the fundamentals, he was a gifted QB and I think those came naturally to him that he may not have focused on it with his QB's.

I feel like he did.. But was it enough and did he do everything possible to keep elevating his QBs play? It was working with Alex at one point.

We never know how that one wouldve finished. Though you could say chances were Smith mighta been in the end too limited.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Aug 16, 2017 at 9:19 PM ]

I feel like he did.. But was it enough and did he do everything possible to keep elevating his QBs play? It was working with Alex at one point.

We never know how that one wouldve finished. Though you could say chances were Smith mighta been in the end too limited.

"I'm not big on mechanics."
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
what position is she coaching?

She was assisting with the wide receivers. I don't know if that will continue to be her role or not.

Well the WR's did great against KC so whatever the WR coaching staff did hopefully continues. We're in Denver and we'll need some offense in that place.

A home game in Denver?

Yikes, big boo boo there! I guess I'm human! Darn!

I just rewatched Atlanta vs Greenbay NFC championship game, and Kyle handled the Green Bay defense with ease. I'm wondering though, if he'll focus too much on offense during his tenure with the 49ers. Green Bay under McCarthy seems to have developed a one sided ball club. Lots of offense and not much defense. I'm glad Kyle drafted defense first and maybe that's how he'll approach his tenure here. While I love great offenses, I'm a tad worried that - we'll have too much offense and not a lot of defense. We shall see...

Jon Lynch hopefully is helping Saleh behind the scenes.

I don't think John Lynch will let that happen. I'm sure he will make sure the team stays balanced with getting very good defenders thru the draft or FA for this ball club.

Heh, actually I don't really want a balanced team. I want a defense dominated team with a good ball control all weather offense. Right now Kyle's WCO is to pass happy for me, and I don't really see a good 4rth quarter ground game that can put teams away (at least that's what I saw in the two playoff games I saw). Hope that changes, and hope that Kyle develops that ground and pound 4rth quarter run game. On defense, I'd like our defense to dominate like our previous super bowl defenses (except for the 5th super bowl that had more offense). The Atlanta defense, for some reason, disappeared in the super bowl. Maybe injuries, maybe they weren't as good as their statistics say, but down 20+ points and come back to win the game, means that Atlanta defense has something wrong with it, and Kyle wants that defense for the 49ers.

Yes, but we already have the answer for that...ground pounding , sod busting R side of OL. We can run power there all day long if we want...or especially in the 4th qtr, with a big lead ...in the SB...of course that is advancing things a bit but the point remains the same. We have an excellent power blocking scheme on the R . And we can run L to wthi Joe, power. Just means we ahave another option than ZBS in the 4th qtr...if we want it. And ATL could have used that.
Originally posted by Joecool:

"I'm not big on mechanics."

There it is. The only time he worked on it was in Kurt Warner's camp. Too late to train an old dog new tricks by then. HaRoman ran a lot of traditional WCO designs but IMHO, they were not run in traditional WCO spirit (fundamentals, progression reading, snaps under C, footwork tied to timing of primary, secondary and check-down routes, etc.). For him it was primarily, one-read pass then run. And I believe HaRoman was perfectly fine with that.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 17, 2017 at 7:12 AM ]
"I'm not big on mechanics...or fundamentals for that matter". ...how unfortunate.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
"I'm not big on mechanics...or fundamentals for that matter". ...how unfortunate.

And he's out of a job. Kyle alluded to that in a sense, football nerds like BeatHard really focus on every aspect of their craft. That includes mechanics.
Share 49ersWebzone