49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
So I have a question.

What do you guys think will be Kyles biggest weakness as a head coach this year?

I personally think we will see random little simple mistakes. Things like poor clock management or situational football that is something a veteran coach always does.

Kyle hasn't had a delay of game all of last year.

The only weakness is the players we currently have

Being a coordinator and being a head coach and a coordinator are two different things. Just cause he excelled at being a coordinator doesn't necessarily that same management will come when the entire team is looking to him.

I expect his delay of game penalties to be very low but when I said poor clock management, I meant more along the lines of situational football. Just ways to run out the clock at the end of game to not give the team the ball back, how to let another team score quickly so we get a chance to score again or anything. 2 minute drills on offense and defense.

Just those little scheming things that typically come with experience.

I expect him to be really good at everything, and eventually great at it all, but I think a lot of that comes with experience. So i don't think if he has these issues that it will be because of incompetence or stubborn. Just lack of experience since he is a rookie head coach.
His dad is a two time super bowl championship coach, so he won't have much weaknesses at the outset. He has no experience with defense, so I'm thinking that may be where is hidden weaknesses are.

The perceived weakness with most offensive minded coaches is not knowing enough about the defense, but that's not true in most cases. They have to know defenses entirely to attack it.

What I think the weakness in regards to Mike Shanahan is that he may have a tendency to put the emphasis on reloading the offensive personnel before the defense. You can have a good offense and try to make it great, but it may be at the cost of your defense.

I think John Lynch is the perfect flip side to Kyle. He went into FA this year and got some offensive guys for Kyle. Kyle knows enough to let Lynch have the early rounds on his defensive crushes. Then took over what he can get in the second day of the draft.

Seems symbiosis so far between the two guys.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
So I have a question.

What do you guys think will be Kyles biggest weakness as a head coach this year?

I personally think we will see random little simple mistakes. Things like poor clock management or situational football that is something a veteran coach always does.

Kyle hasn't had a delay of game all of last year.

The only weakness is the players we currently have

Being a coordinator and being a head coach and a coordinator are two different things. Just cause he excelled at being a coordinator doesn't necessarily that same management will come when the entire team is looking to him.

I expect his delay of game penalties to be very low but when I said poor clock management, I meant more along the lines of situational football. Just ways to run out the clock at the end of game to not give the team the ball back, how to let another team score quickly so we get a chance to score again or anything. 2 minute drills on offense and defense.

Just those little scheming things that typically come with experience.

I expect him to be really good at everything, and eventually great at it all, but I think a lot of that comes with experience. So i don't think if he has these issues that it will be because of incompetence or stubborn. Just lack of experience since he is a rookie head coach.
His dad is a two time super bowl championship coach, so he won't have much weaknesses at the outset. He has no experience with defense, so I'm thinking that may be where is hidden weaknesses are.

The perceived weakness with most offensive minded coaches is not knowing enough about the defense, but that's not true in most cases. They have to know defenses entirely to attack it.

What I think the weakness in regards to Mike Shanahan is that he may have a tendency to put the emphasis on reloading the offensive personnel before the defense. You can have a good offense and try to make it great, but it may be at the cost of your defense.

I think John Lynch is the perfect flip side to Kyle. He went into FA this year and got some offensive guys for Kyle. Kyle knows enough to let Lynch have the early rounds on his defensive crushes. Then took over what he can get in the second day of the draft.

Seems symbiosis so far between the two guys.

Agree. The design is that you have a Hall of Fame level player (who played defensive back - which is a very important point) at the GM position and drafting while Kyle is the OC/HC and is the guy that runs the entire show during the regular season. I think it's a good design, and whether to credit Denise York or Jed York, I don't care, I think it's a good design. That way the offensive minded coach can tap into the experience of a defensive minded GM that has played the game at a very high level. Defense has to be talented at every position, a defense with a weakness is not a good defense and can be exploited by good QB's - and these QB's usually show up only in the playoffs. By then it's too late to fix your defense. So having a Defensive Back drafting for Kyle is a huge advantage specially when that DB has played in a super bowl defense and knows exactly what it looks like and what kind of players that kind of defense needs. It's my hope that Kyle continues to allow Lynch the luxury to draft defense before offense in the 2018 draft the way the 2017 draft turned out.
X2. All good points. Exactly how this all happened, I still don't know...it ostensibly was the hiring of John to tell the Yorks what needed to be done to get us back on track. I guess they liked John so much they offered him the GM job altho it sure looks like what several of us wanted...a HOFO..and we got one. Then supposedly John calls Kyle between NFCC and SB. But obviously a lot more went on than that and who knows in which order it happened.
So I have a question.

Discipline.
So I have a question.

Leadership.

If you start losing 8-10 games in a year, and go 6-10 as expected. How do you respond? Everyone in the locker room right now respects you because you were a great o-coordinator in Atlanta. But as the season wears on and you start losing, the players in the locker room might start to lose faith in your game plan and scheme the more you lose. The shine will wear off eventually. Especially if you have consecutive losing seasons.

It's all about responding to adversity. I think having John Lynch around will help alleviate some of that.
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Aug 19, 2017 at 6:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
So I have a question.

Leadership.

If you start losing 8-10 games in a year, and go 6-10 as expected. How do you respond? Everyone in the locker room right now respects you because you were a great o-coordinator in Atlanta. But as the season wears on and you start losing, the players in the locker room might start to lose faith in your game plan and scheme the more you lose. The shine will wear off eventually. Especially if you have consecutive losing seasons.

It's all about responding to adversity. I think having John Lynch around will help alleviate some of that.

Jesus Christ pump the f**king brakes, he's taking over a 2 win team
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
So I have a question.

Leadership.

Jesus Christ pump the f**king brakes, he's taking over a 2 win team

Lol calm down. He asked a question and I answered. I didn't say he should be fired after a year.
Clearly Shanahan does not command respect. They do not fear him. All great coaches are feared by the players - Bill Walsh, Bill Bellicheck, Bill Parcells, even Harbaugh.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Clearly Shanahan does not command respect. They do not fear him. All great coaches are feared by the players - Bill Walsh, Bill Bellicheck, Bill Parcells, even Harbaugh.

Oh god...

Not a good day for Kyle. His team better start cleaning up the basic shot. 2 weeks now.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 19, 2017 at 11:52 PM ]

It's 2 f**king games.....there's absolutely no conclusions that can be drawn about a coach "commanding respect" after 2 games and a training camp. We are a s**tty team and are doing things s**tty teams do.
This team came out sloppy today. Hopefully shanny has them ready next week.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Oh you mean like Mike Singletary.

Holy s**t, it was a Preseason game, where was this "he doesn't command respect" talk last week.
Shanny obviously already knows how important it is to not get penalties . He's got a ton of young players though. They'll fix it, hopefully sooner than later.
Leadership.

s**t if we go 6-10 and show improvement then that's a win for sure. Most are expecting us to get 3 or 4 wins at most.
Share 49ersWebzone