There are 336 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Kyle Shanahan answering questions about his players both on offense and defense, like he actually remembers what they did during the games and practices.

The other previous coaches talked about reviewing films on their players, but it makes me wonder if they remember WTH they were watching to answer questions regarding their players in the presser. Or are they so tight ass that they couldn't answer in details without thinking they are giving anything significant away.

Kyle already better in this area than the last 5 HC going back to Nolan.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Kyle Shanahan answering questions about his players both on offense and defense, like he actually remembers what they did during the games and practices.

The other previous coaches talked about reviewing films on their players, but it makes me wonder if they remember WTH they were watching to answer questions regarding their players in the presser. Or are they so tight ass that they couldn't answer in details without thinking they are giving anything significant away.

Kyle already better in this area than the last 5 HC going back to Nolan.

I think he's just more open to answering questions whereas the other coaches don't want to mention anyone without watching the film and possibly talking to the player first before they talk to the media about them.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Clearly Shanahan does not command respect. They do not fear him. All great coaches are feared by the players - Bill Walsh, Bill Bellicheck, Bill Parcells, even Harbaugh.
this. i understand the need in the zone to protect him and drink his bathwater but between what jose just said. and combined the fact he got all bent out of shape when a reporter had the balls to ask him whats up with 35 penalties in two games. shows me that Jr. is in over his head and that is not good for our team. but of course just keep telling yourselves. we are fine. its only pre season. shanny is sexy etc etc. oh yes. he took over a 2 win team so he deserves a long leash
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Clearly Shanahan does not command respect. They do not fear him. All great coaches are feared by the players - Bill Walsh, Bill Bellicheck, Bill Parcells, even Harbaugh.

Oh god...

wow. when people dare to raise a concern with Jr.
Originally posted by cciowa:
this. i understand the need in the zone to protect him and drink his bathwater but between what jose just said. and combined the fact he got all bent out of shape when a reporter had the balls to ask him whats up with 35 penalties in two games. shows me that Jr. is in over his head and that is not good for our team. but of course just keep telling yourselves. we are fine. its only pre season. shanny is sexy etc etc. oh yes. he took over a 2 win team so he deserves a long leash

I don't think he's in over his head. I think he's just starting out to be too nice ala John Lynch. In reality, I think Kyle is a dick who wants perfection. The d******d in him will start coming out as he grounds himself and takes more ownership of the team as his own. He's been sort of a d******d in other teams.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 21, 2017 at 8:53 AM ]
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Was Grant Cohn finally right about something? He said the 49ers practice like losers. Said Shanahan doesn't chew out players when they commit penalties in practice.
What a time to be alive.

Preseason dude preseason

Plus coaches chew out players in the film room

This. Beat writers aren't around the team every breathing second. What we do know is Kyle is taking over a bad team. They have a ton of new players so some lack of cohesion should be expected. Kyle has been praised consistently over the course of the off-season for his attention to detail and the teachable moments he provides. He said himself that errors provide him those moments to teach and correct mistakes.

I think Shanahan understands that right now this is a young team that will need some consistent coaching and patience, not a drill sergeant up their @$$ everytime they mess up.

The team has been shuffling the depth chart around this off-season trying to create true competition throughout the team. Both Lynch and Kyle have shown to have to no problem cutting their losses on players when they no longer fit their vision. Just look at how many people they've already cut for evidence of that. People need to calm down and let these guys do their job. It's not always going to be pretty taking over a two win team but it's a marathon, not a sprint. These guys deserve some time, not our fanbase dipping for conclusions after just two preseason games.

Good post Willis. Remember guys, it's not just a 2 W team, it is a team where there are more new guys than vets. And with the 90 man squad( a bonus for really bad teams, us for example), kyle has to be ferreting out who is a keeper and who isn't. Not an easy job in a short time frame. That would be tough enough with a 53 man squad. Right now kyle is looking at OL... Barnes, fusco, kilgore, magnuson, Gilliam, williams, plus our two OT starters, and then Josh on PUP and Zane. Point is there are tough decisions to make and keeping the right guys is paramount at present. Once on PS if they have any talent, they are gone. And kyle doesn't want to be giving good talent away if we can use it. We are in great shape on DL, weak at LB(in numbers), and then there is DBs. Who knows there. QB...decision has to be made, keep 3 when one guy isn't going to be used, or keep two...one would be CJ. Might be tempting, but if hoyer went down early....ummm...then not so much. RBs, just deciding on which of the #3 and #4 is better and do we keep 4...or 3. Finally our STs....we are using guys who play other positions for this and it shows. Not much time spent here. There will be, just not right now.

Put that all together, and it makes for a big list of things to do for a newly minted HC. How exaclty he is doing all this i don't know. Most HC don't just start out with a failed team...on all fronts. And kyle did. This is one mother of a job. So expect things to go wrong, early on. They will get fixed, but we got too many holes in the bottom of the boat to plug them all right now. Just keep baling. Once the boat is afloat, then the other things that didn't get attn will. New HC who is his own OC? On a schid team? Does it get harder than that? Probably not. So once kyle gets thru the next 8 weeks, things will look smoother, guys will play better. Right now it is just about which guys to decide upon, and that wlll make a huge difference, downstream.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 21, 2017 at 9:10 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
when he says dips**t things like,. well we did alot of good things in the practice but they did not play well in the game. that is all on the coach
I'm gonna withhold judgement until the regular season games but its not looking too good for lil shanny. A good OC might be his ceiling hopefully he has the ability to be a leader but it's been pretty bad thus far.
This gives a window into Kyle's style of coaching.

No, you just stress and you talk about it every second. You point it out. It's kind of my style with everything. I try not to make things up. You try to look at it exactly what happened and why it happened. If there's an answer to why it happened that you guys can avoid, then you put them in that position the next day as a coach. You show them on film, you teach them on the board, you go walk through it and then you have them go through it full speed to make it just more muscle memory. That's really our philosophy on everything. You try to figure out why, then you try to see if you can come up with the best answer and then you teach. There's lots of ways to teach. It starts in the film room and you've got to carry it over to the practice field. But, that really doesn't change with me with anything.

I think he's talking about something like this.

'Hold on to the f**king ball! Fumble on every f**king play will get you NFL. NOT FOR LONG!'
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 21, 2017 at 9:39 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
This gives a window into Kyle's style of coaching.

No, you just stress and you talk about it every second. You point it out. It's kind of my style with everything. I try not to make things up. You try to look at it exactly what happened and why it happened. If there's an answer to why it happened that you guys can avoid, then you put them in that position the next day as a coach. You show them on film, you teach them on the board, you go walk through it and then you have them go through it full speed to make it just more muscle memory. That's really our philosophy on everything. You try to figure out why, then you try to see if you can come up with the best answer and then you teach. There's lots of ways to teach. It starts in the film room and you've got to carry it over to the practice field. But, that really doesn't change with me with anything.

Have a feeling we will draft more for smarts than talent similar to what NE does. For the type of coach Kyle is, nothing more frustrating than to have a dumb player who won't understand the Why so he can anticipate better if/when things on the field don't look exactly like the board.

ITT:. Butthurt people who we haven't heard from in a while poke their heads back above the surface, always watching and waiting for their "I told you so" moment.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by norcal49er864:
ITT:. Butthurt people who we haven't heard from in a while poke their heads back above the surface, always watching and waiting for their "I told you so" moment.

alot of people had concerns about this hire and the lynch hire from day one. i had a open mind but so far. i see a crap roster. i see a team totally disheveled in two games. spin it as you want but 35 penalties in two games and the coach gets all bent out of shape when someone stands up to Jr and asks him about it. this team needs a veteran coach who can kick players in the ass. oh some of us raised worries weeks ago and were told. relax. its only practice wait for pre season games/. now we have seen the disaster of our team and all the mistakes. now of course. you move the goal and say.. but but. its only pre season. wait for the regular season games
Originally posted by cciowa:
when he says dips**t things like,. well we did alot of good things in the practice but they did not play well in the game. that is all on the coach

This isn't the Singletary / Nolan / Tomsula / Kelly era...can we stop with this mentality where the goal is to find a scape goat for everything that goes wrong, when we all know that there are many more variables involved than just Shanahan?

Secondly, no one is saying Shanahan is perfect. He has areas where he needs to grow. We hired him not because he's perfect, but because he has rare talent as an offensive coach and we believe he has the intangibles to grow and get better in the areas where he's weak. If you want to be a negative nancy the whole way up until we win one, fine, but don't be so dense as to not try to understand the bigger picture here. Anyone who's worked for a successful organization at any point, or just been a part of a high functioning team can recognize the patterns with what Lunch and Shanahan are trying to implement: shared core values, constant and effective communication, and accountability. If Shanahan was fully formed as a coach, then he'd probably already be the next Bill Walsh and he wouldn't have been hired by us -- he'd already be a superbowl winning coach somewhere. Rarely as an organization do you get to hire the perfect candidate. What you look for instead is the top talent that you can nurture and help grow. By my read, Shanahan is a top talent. Perfect? Definitely not. Does he have the intangibles and can the things he needs to improve on be improved on? Absolutely.

It's not gonna work on day one. I think that the majority of 49er Dan's know that and understand that because they recognize the potential down the road. At this point, we just are looking for evidence that Shanahan and Lynch are learning from their mistakes.
[ Edited by norcal49er864 on Aug 21, 2017 at 9:50 AM ]
  • thl408
The sloppy turnovers are a concern but I'd attribute that more to carelessness. There have been many illegal shift/formation penalties in both preseason games. This has to be drilled into the players - 7 guys on the LoS, cover the tackle, don't have 2 players in motion simultaneously - it's not rocket science. Some of these penalties have got to drive him up the wall. Time to focus on some basic fundamentals because these types of penalties are free yards for the defense.
Originally posted by thl408:
The sloppy turnovers are a concern but I'd attribute that more to carelessness. There have been many illegal shift/formation penalties in both preseason games. This has to be drilled into the players - 7 guys on the LoS, cover the tackle, don't have 2 players in motion simultaneously - it's not rocket science. Some of these penalties have got to drive him up the wall. Time to focus on some basic fundamentals because these types of penalties are free yards for the defense.

This is where I am at. I expect this to get cleaned up as time goes on...or I hope so
Share 49ersWebzone