There are 343 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by southpaw854:
Geez, so much anger after two preseason games with a brand new staff, brand new roster, and brand new schemes (yet again, ugh). Give it time. People forget under the first two years of Harbaugh, the team was the 6th and 7th most penalized team in the league, respectively.

Yes, but those were all delay of gamers
  • NoelC
  • Veteran
Take your gold panties off and quit complaining people
..gheez
Originally posted by cciowa:
i hope you guys are right. i am stunned by the amount of people who are unwilling or unable to see there are any issues at all. when we are setting there in game 2 and 3 and 4 making 15 penalties a game. then you have to have a conversation of if this guy is in over his head

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i hope you guys are right. i am stunned by the amount of people who are unwilling or unable to see there are any issues at all. when we are setting there in game 2 and 3 and 4 making 15 penalties a game. then you have to have a conversation of if this guy is in over his head

Bill Walsh's first preseason as an NFL coach:
W 13-10
L 10-41
L 0-21
L 20-55

Then proceeded to lose first 8 games of the Regular season. I guess it was safe to say after a few games in 1979, Bill was in over his head.....right?
Funny to see everyone overreact over preseason, yeah the 49ers might not be very good this season but basing it off of the 2nd preseason is beyond laughable. I guess it's easy to forget even Harbaugh's teams(and mostly every NFL team) typically didnt play well during preseason. Yes the turnovers & flags were unacceptable and need to be fixed ASAP, but isn't that the whole point of the preseason? Just think it's pretty embarrassing of a fanbase to throw in the towel and call Shanahan "over his head" because of PRESEASON! If it doesn't get fixed by the time September comes around then we can start b***hing. Because right now it sounds like some of the fans on this forum are ready to fire our fourth head coach in four years....because of PRESEASON!
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Funny to see everyone overreact over preseason, yeah the 49ers might not be very good this season but basing it off of the 2nd preseason is beyond laughable. I guess it's easy to forget even Harbaugh's teams(and mostly every NFL team) typically didnt play well during preseason. Yes the turnovers & flags were unacceptable and need to be fixed ASAP, but isn't that the whole point of the preseason? Just think it's pretty embarrassing of a fanbase to throw in the towel and call Shanahan "over his head" because of PRESEASON! If it doesn't get fixed by the time September comes around then we can start b***hing. Because right now it sounds like some of the fans on this forum are ready to fire our fourth head coach in four years....because of PRESEASON!

This whole season is going to be full of growing pains. Idk why people want great play right away. Shanahans system looks good, but he is still learning how to be a good HC. That will come with time. With his work ethic, he will do fine. I don't think he will ever be a hardass like Harbaugh, but he has a reputation of being a dick and I think that will manifest itself and he will get on people for not doing their jobs. He is just getting comfortable.
I wasn't a big Shanahan guy but it's way too early to be seriously concerned by anything seen in the first two preseason games.

Shanahan is a 1st time head coach who will obviously have growing pains and he's inherited a 2 win team that had a major roster turnover that's installing a new system on both sides of the ball so it's expected that they aren't going to be a well-oiled machine out there.

From what I saw of the both preseason games the team is roughly where it realistically should be right now. Some sloppiness that needs to be cleaned up before the start of the season and some bright spots and encouraging signs of things to hopefully come.

Positive practice reports have inflated the expectations and I think there is some disappointment when what we're reading about in practice isn't translating into these preseason games.

I don't think anyone is overreacting. We are judging based on the only evidence we have now which is 2 preseason games. In my opinion, the reactions are accurate up to this point.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't think anyone is overreacting. We are judging based on the only evidence we have now which is 2 preseason games. In my opinion, the reactions are accurate up to this point.

IMO, two games is no where close to a large enough sample size to be making claims of someone being in over their head. Making judgements on small samples sizes is the easiest way to make mistakes in evaluating people. Hell if you judged the greatest coach in franchise history after one season you would've seen a guy with a 3-17 record in his first full season(including preseason).
In the all important game 3 of our preseason in 2011 (harbaughs first season), we only managed to gain 105 yards. We lost 30-7 and looked outclassed.

Not saying we're going to have a season like 2011, there's just no reason to get all down in the dumps about the broncos game.

There is a certain amount of ass**le every coach needs to be successful. I like that he has a rep of being a little bit of a dick. As long as it doesn't equate to Harbaugh's level of combativeness than I'm ok with it. BTW, I really like Harbaugh but I also realize that he can be difficult....I didn't have to work with him everyday so easy for me to say, but long story short Shanahan will be fine.
I mean yeah, too early to tell if Kyle is in over his head obviously. But the pre-snap penalties that's happening week to week is just something to note. It's probably going to happen very frequently during the regular season as well, because the team is young and learning a new system.
How did I know that once I opened up this thread there would be posters that are worried about Shanny our new HC.
Originally posted by kush: In the all important game 3 of our preseason in 2011 (harbaughs first season), we only managed to gain 105 yards. We lost 30-7 and looked outclassed.

Not saying we're going to have a season like 2011, there's just no reason to get all down in the dumps about the broncos game.

For entertainment sake, you can read about reactions from the Zone after that game.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/156953-preseason-week-good-ugly-same-old-last-year/
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Aug 21, 2017 at 1:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:

2 preseason games isn't enough of a sample size. By the time week 5-6 comes around we'll most likely know what kind of team we'll be. And why should it shock anybody if we struggle this season? We have a new roster, rookie HC & GM trying to fix the dumpster fire Baalke left. Nobody said this was going to be a quick turnaround. The worrying about Shanahan at this moment in time is incredibly premature,immature,& dumb
[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Aug 21, 2017 at 2:12 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone