There are 187 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

You know what confuses me? Why did it take 3 coaching staffs and 4 football seasons for this organization to realize that Eric Reid is fit much better for SS?

Most of us on here always mentioned how his skill set was more SS.

Sometimes we give people (baalke or the defensive coordinator) the benefit of the doubt and say they know what they're doing but realistically they make mistakes and can be stupid as well

Him being at FS always confuses me
Originally posted by tankle104:
You know what confuses me? Why did it take 3 coaching staffs and 4 football seasons for this organization to realize that Eric Reid is fit much better for SS?

Sometimes we give people (baalke or the defensive coordinator) the benefit of the doubt and say they know what they're doing but realistically they make mistakes and can be stupid as well

Defense was good enough at one point is my guess of reason.

I think you just answered your question.

We finally got a GM and HC who know wtf they're doing.
Won't know which direction we are going in until week 4 when teams have game planned:

1. Against our OC and D.C
2. Against individual player talent
3. Against how we play vs something similar to the opponents offense and defense

We will see how we play once teams have all that information on us.

LMAO...right?!

This will finally be the first time I can say, everyone is in their ideal positions with the exception of AA of course... and I still don't get why Saleh is switching the 3T and 5T personnel but whatever. Blair will be a casualty as a result.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 21, 2017 at 5:09 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

LMAO...right?!

This will finally be the first time I can say, everyone is in their ideal positions with the exception of AA of course... and I still don't get why Saleh is switching the 3T and 5T personnel but whatever. Blair will be a casualty as a result.

Ward is TBD. He may be a better CB than FS which is an unusual transition that a college FS becomes a better NFL CB. Usually works better the other way around.

Honestly, I surprised more college CBs who may not be good enough NFL CBs aren't tried out at FS. Rashard, for example, seems like he has the speed and footwork to possible be an awesome FS.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I love Shanny.
Originally posted by Joecool:

LMAO...right?!

Ward is TBD. He may be a better CB than FS which is an unusual transition that a college FS becomes a better NFL CB. Usually works better the other way around.

Honestly, I surprised more college CBs who may not be good enough NFL CBs aren't tried out at FS. Rashard, for example, seems like he has the speed and footwork to possible be an awesome FS.

Yeah, especially in this kind of scheme. Intelligence, ability to process quickly, sure tackler and elite range.

You're right...Ward is still TBD but I have always felt this could be his best position. One where all the action is in front of him, he can diagnose and break. That's where he was a true play maker in college. He's also a film junkie too which bodes well for the position.

But stay tuned...
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 21, 2017 at 5:42 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
what happened to cc?! last time I remember he was a huge optimist...is this some sort of new defense mechanism to prevent more heartbreaks?

i think life got to him

Damn, well pessimism will not help. Don't worry cc.. Shanahan is our savior! ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Joecool:

LMAO...right?!

Yeah, especially in this kind of scheme. Intelligence, ability to process quickly, sure tackler and elite range.

You're right...Ward is still TBD but I have always felt this could be his best position. One where all the action is in front of him, he can diagnose and break. That's where he was a true play maker in college. He's also a film junkie too which bodes well for the position.

But stay tuned...

I think it was the early concussions that forced him to play more FS

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Harbaugh's and the subsequent coaches prior to ShanaLynch had a different defensive system. Under ShanaLynch that SS is in the mould of a tampa two SS and Lynch knows that position well. I think that's a factor in the switch and moving him because under that system (which is very similar to our 4-3 under) that SS key's the defensive coverage. It takes a very smart and aware player to QB the tampa two/4-3 under secondary.
Third preseason game coming up.... at the minimum, I exoect a significant reduction in penalties and turnovers.... At least get this team playing with some discipline.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Follower:
Third preseason game coming up.... at the minimum, I exoect a significant reduction in penalties and turnovers.... At least get this team playing with some discipline.
"
agree. the "new players new scheme to provide cover for this crap grows old
Originally posted by cciowa:
"
agree. the "new players new scheme to provide cover for this crap grows old

Guys, I am beginning to think the penalties will continue, at least thru PS Game 3, because , fortunately, for the first time in this century, Kyle and John have done the one thing I have wanted each and every yr for the last 17 yrs now...and simply, that is knowing WTF is on the bench, as well as on the field. I can see Kyle doesn't like all the stupid penalties...but...he and John have made it their quest to know what each and every player CAN do, and same for what they CAN'T do. My guess is, Kyle has not worked on offsides, holding, PI, etc. NONE. Why? Because they wanted to give each and every guy (except for those they knew would not make it, e.g., Zut) a full and thorough chance to prove they belonged here or not. And by devoting most of their time to this, penalties have drawn short shrift.

My guess is most decisions will be made after Vikes game, and the following week, they begin to work on penalties. Does anyone REALLY think Kyle has been working on penalties to date? I sure don't, because they have gotten worse, not better. He's a better coach than that. Besides why waste time on teaching guys who won't make the cut, on how to cut down on penalties.

I also think that is why Kyle got so hacked when Cohn, that little turdlet, tried to teach Kyle how "jimbo" did it. What an idiota.

If this is the dress rehearsal, the starters will know their roles and there will be game planning. This means aside from special teams, there shouldn't be any illegal formation penalties...hopefully no false starts either.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 22, 2017 at 2:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone