There are 203 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Niners816:
My comfort with Kyle's offense is that we know the system is sound and have seen it work for 2+ decades if you just want to count his father and Kubiak's flavor. I'm expecting extreme growing pains this season.

I have no problem with that. Having a genuine WCO variant back in San Francisco, at least one that is a lot closer to the original than the Lindy Infante inspired version Harbaugh ran is huge. And we've seen the scheme be consistently effective, especially when it comes to the run game. I like that the team is moving back closer to their original roots and eschewing trying to be Chicago or Baltimore West.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
My comfort with Kyle's offense is that we know the system is sound and have seen it work for 2+ decades if you just want to count his father and Kubiak's flavor. I'm expecting extreme growing pains this season.

I have no problem with that. Having a genuine WCO variant back in San Francisco, at least one that is a lot closer to the original than the Lindy Infante inspired version Harbaugh ran is huge. And we've seen the scheme be consistently effective, especially when it comes to the run game. I like that the team is moving back closer to their original roots and eschewing trying to be Chicago or Baltimore West.

I'm right there with you. I think I've shared my dream Harbaugh offense scenerio before. If the Harbaugh era would've been controlled by me, Marty Mornigwheg would've been brought on in 2013ish to act as pass game coordinator and QB coach. IMO, that coupled with Roman's ground game coulda been special. Would've let Harbs just be emotional crazy nut. Oh well, it's moot now.

Aside from that, I've wanted the shanny/Kubiak offense for years (since mooch left).
[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 22, 2017 at 7:23 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I'm right there with you. I think I've shared my dream Harbaugh offense scenerio before. If the Harbaugh era would've been controlled by me, Marty Mornigwheg would've been brought on in 2013ish to act as pass game coordinator and QB coach. IMO, that coupled with Roman's ground game coulda been special. Would've let Harbs just be emotional crazy nut. Oh well, it's moot now.

Aside from that, I've wanted the shanny/Kubiak offense for years (since mooch left).

I feel that's one of the reasons Jed sided with Baalke, Jim didn't want to get rid of Roman or adjust his offensive coach's roles or any sort of modification to his offense. Why? I don't know. But that would have been a great scenario to have Marty be Harbaugh's OC/Passing game coordinator. With ShanaLynch, we really do have an offense that is going back to it's origens or as close to it as today's NFL rules allow.
Originally posted by Giedi:
It looks like Shanahan likes quick smart players, and I'm just a bit worried that they will get overpowered by strong talented defenses in the playoffs. My hope is that he also develops a very strong and talented defense to offset that. I think he's pretty smart to have chosen a modern version of Seiferts defense for his team, but it still bugs me that he could not run it in the fourth quarter in the super bowl.

Playoffs? Playoffs?! You wanna talk about playoffs? (Jim Mora Sr. stankface)
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Aug 23, 2017 at 2:26 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
It looks like Shanahan likes quick smart players, and I'm just a bit worried that they will get overpowered by strong talented defenses in the playoffs. My hope is that he also develops a very strong and talented defense to offset that. I think he's pretty smart to have chosen a modern version of Seiferts defense for his team, but it still bugs me that he could not run it in the fourth quarter in the super bowl.

Yes, the playoffs. His run offense just disappeared in the last two playoff games I watched his offense in. All zone runs, no traps, sweeps or off-tackles just zone runs. I think that's a big weakness against strong disciplined defenses. That's why I'm closely watching the offense and whether or not Kyle is going to go with bigger O Linemen that the Atlanta Falcons roster or go with similar linemen that he had in Atlanta. Guy's like Brown and Flynn vs Atlanta's Shrader and Matthews. I think bigger linemen can handle the zone run and are still flexible enough to man block - may be the key and can really make a difference in the 4rth quarter when you are trying to put a team away. Smaller quicker linemen that are trying to man block can get overwhelmed at the point of attack.
Originally posted by ninerjok:

Yes, the playoffs. His run offense just disappeared in the last two playoff games I watched his offense in. All zone runs, no traps, sweeps or off-tackles just zone runs. I think that's a big weakness against strong disciplined defenses. That's why I'm closely watching the offense and whether or not Kyle is going to go with bigger O Linemen that the Atlanta Falcons roster or go with similar linemen that he had in Atlanta. Guy's like Brown and Flynn vs Atlanta's Shrader and Matthews. I think bigger linemen can handle the zone run and are still flexible enough to man block - may be the key and can really make a difference in the 4rth quarter when you are trying to put a team away. Smaller quicker linemen that are trying to man block can get overwhelmed at the point of attack.

So you got Flynn winning the LG spot?

Same...we've been talking about this for years...took us forever but we're finally here!
The Colts offense with Manning. That was pretty basic but they also had HOF level players at QB and WR and a crapload of other offensive talent.

The simpler your scheme is, the more dominant your individual players have to be. The more complex the scheme, the longer it will take for everyone to get on the same page. And your players better not be low football IQ types because the more complex the scheme, the more opportunities for error.

Did they ever attach a title to the Tom Moore /Peyton offense? I've seen it called an Air Coryell. But Coryell's come in many flavors. Personally I always think of Gibbs and Martz's version and those were really complex.

I will agree though on the manning colts offense it was rather simple in concepts but was performed at virtuoso type levels.
I don't think a title has ever been put on it. From what I've gathered in listening to a lot of Peyton talk about it it sounds like a a b*****d child of Air Coryell and WCO. They aren't strict nomenclature for either one. Peyton has talked about how there was a lot of WC nomenclature and concepts that they run but it definitely looks more air-coryell than WCO.

For theirs, it was only simpler because you had the only QB/OC in one player in the league. Moore wasn't even calling plays for the last 10 years. He would simply radio in "drive" or "divide" concepts to Manning and he'd do the rest. He'd put the players in position and if he felt the defense was going to be playing something that would defeat that concept he'd change the concept and audible the play.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Same...we've been talking about this for years...took us forever but we're finally here!
y'all have no idea how much I'm salivating about going over Shanny's film this year. Chip was....horrid. It was really the only time I truly felt like watching film gained nothing and had no point. It was like groundhog's day. The same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over......

I just need to figure out why tinypic won't work to upload stuff right now. Any suggestions?

• thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
y'all have no idea how much I'm salivating about going over Shanny's film this year. Chip was....horrid. It was really the only time I truly felt like watching film gained nothing and had no point. It was like groundhog's day. The same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over......

I just need to figure out why tinypic won't work to upload stuff right now. Any suggestions?
It took me until week 6 to realize I was watching the same thing over and over with Chip. Inside zone read all day, and limited plays from 3WR sets. Combine that with how the team was losing, and I lost interest too. The switch at QB kind of got my interest again, but that faded fast.
You mentioned how Kyle dressed up Sticks yesterday. The NN podcast mentioned how he disguised Levels. It'll be fun to see how he dresses up common concepts to keep the defense guessing. One thing I'll also try to look for is how he sets up defenses. I keep reading about how Kyle will 'set the defense up' by running complimentary plays. This is hard to notice when casually watching film, but I'll try.

You're going to love this and esp. so because Kyle is going to have to be a bit more creative here because of the personnel.

TinyPic is down for some reason. I let thl know about it a while ago. I'm sure webbie knows too. It's a bummer.

He did suggest this: Try using MediaFire. It's free and reliable imo.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 23, 2017 at 10:50 AM ]
The Colts offense with Manning. That was pretty basic but they also had HOF level players at QB and WR and a crapload of other offensive talent.

The simpler your scheme is, the more dominant your individual players have to be. The more complex the scheme, the longer it will take for everyone to get on the same page. And your players better not be low football IQ types because the more complex the scheme, the more opportunities for error.

Did they ever attach a title to the Tom Moore /Peyton offense? I've seen it called an Air Coryell. But Coryell's come in many flavors. Personally I always think of Gibbs and Martz's version and those were really complex.

I will agree though on the manning colts offense it was rather simple in concepts but was performed at virtuoso type levels.
I don't think a title has ever been put on it. From what I've gathered in listening to a lot of Peyton talk about it it sounds like a a b*****d child of Air Coryell and WCO. They aren't strict nomenclature for either one. Peyton has talked about how there was a lot of WC nomenclature and concepts that they run but it definitely looks more air-coryell than WCO.

For theirs, it was only simpler because you had the only QB/OC in one player in the league. Moore wasn't even calling plays for the last 10 years. He would simply radio in "drive" or "divide" concepts to Manning and he'd do the rest. He'd put the players in position and if he felt the defense was going to be playing something that would defeat that concept he'd change the concept and audible the play.

Yep. That offense had a little bit of everything in it. Yet, it was surprisingly vanilla and non-complicated. The receivers almost always lined up on the same side of the field. The tight end almost never left the field. They ran a hand full of running plays. It was a timing offense that put a premium on timing and execution.

It was kinda like the offensive opposite to the logic of the Seahawk's defense. Superior talent overruliing superior schematics.

When your able to combine both of them. You have the Atlanta Falcons' 2016 offense.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Aug 23, 2017 at 11:04 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

It took me until week 6 to realize I was watching the same thing over and over with Chip. Inside zone read all day, and limited plays from 3WR sets. Combine that with how the team was losing, and I lost interest too. The switch at QB kind of got my interest again, but that faded fast.
You mentioned how Kyle dressed up Sticks yesterday. The NN podcast mentioned how he disguised Levels. It'll be fun to see how he dresses up common concepts to keep the defense guessing. One thing I'll also try to look for is how he sets up defenses. I keep reading about how Kyle will 'set the defense up' by running complimentary plays. This is hard to notice when casually watching film, but I'll try.

I don't know if this has been posted before but it's a nice breakdown of the 99 yard drive vs Seattle in the playoffs.
I don't know if this has been posted before but it's a nice breakdown of the 99 yard drive vs Seattle in the playoffs.

Really nice breakdown...and...and... and they didn't run the ball. LOL
Share 49ersWebzone