There are 202 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Eff all these videos and designs of the success of the Falcon's. Julio Jones isn't walking through that door. He played a large role in attracting coverage to open things up.

So far, I haven't seen s**t from this starting offense. Backups look good.

sometimes i wonder if people here are aware that the people the falcons had on offense is not what we have on offense. oh i forgot when the regular season rolls around. everything will click.lol

I think another draft cycle or two and we'll have that offense and possibly more. On the draft boards, there are some interesting players coming online that resemble our old Vernon Davis. If we're lucky to have another Vernon Davis on this team. Kyle can really blow this offense wide open. I'm beginning to think the lack of a run game in the Super Bowl was a rookie Coaching mistake under Kyle, he has a solid run game concept and that will make the pass offense work even if you don't have all start freak athletes at the WR positions. Good play action, good QB, and you can turn ordinary receivers into pretty good ones because they don't have to beat coverage all the time. It's ok to be negative, but by being in that mindset, you forget a lot of the good that's currently going on right now.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mojave45:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
many people have been quick to rush in when some of us dare be critical of the coach for all the penalties the team is making by saying.. well when the regular season starts that will not happen. oh and if i had a nickel for everytime i heard a poster say... well we are being vanilla on offense in the pre season. we will turn it on game one

Its mute button time

Never thought I would see that day but...
you people are really tolerant of other peoples opinions as long as they conform to yours.
many people have been quick to rush in when some of us dare be critical of the coach for all the penalties the team is making by saying.. well when the regular season starts that will not happen. oh and if i had a nickel for everytime i heard a poster say... well we are being vanilla on offense in the pre season. we will turn it on game one

I haven't seen this and I'm on here everyday. I see people make their own justifications sure. The fact is we are being vanilla, it is preseason where 90 man are competing hard for roster spots, and we are running a complex offensive scheme. We're also installing a new scheme on the other side of the ball too. We have a ton of young players that have been getting preached too all spring and summer to be aggressive, all the while fighting for roster spots. All those mixed together are going to cause different variables. Penalties and inconsistency should be expected while their all trying to figure it out.

A large chunk of the penalties are related to the offensive installation, especially illegal formations. People are simply saying that every week, it should improve some. I haven't seen anyone say that magically week one everything will disappear.

Again seems like a generalization here. I see lots of people expecting improvement but not just for everything to magically correct itself by our first game. If it's happening as common as you say, it shouldn't be hard to point out, because I'm not seeing anybody's expectations grasping at the straws you say they are.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Who is saying this? This seems like just another inordinate and or sarcastic generalization. Most people are simply preaching patience while standing firm to the complexity of the offense. It took Shanahan two years to install his full offense in Atlanta, which he has alluded to in the past. Nobody is looking at our current roster and expecting a miracle. Their expecting improvement as time goes along. That ranges from penalties to offensive production. These are very common expectations to have for an intricate offensive scheme.

The Falcons went from 3.8YPC the first season under Shanahan to 4.6YPC in the second season.

Not just Atlanta, the Baltimore offense when they switched to the ZBS struggled mightily their 1st year, their run blocking was especially awful and then in the 2nd year when Kubiak came onboard, it started to click and Justin Forsett ran for a crapload of yards.

It will take some time. Anyone seeking immediate gratification might as well start popping Xanax now because it isnt coming.

Yup. It almost seems senseless to post these kind of facts though. I feel like this sort of context has been floating around out here everyday the last couple of weeks especially. This will probably just fall on blind eyes too. Lol
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Aug 24, 2017 at 9:18 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL...IKR? cciowa is just making this stuff up. Nobody is saying these things. Sure, you'll have the occasional homer like Cohn who's still predicting 9 wins and the eternal optimists but these are outliers. The mass majority of the fan base is pretty grounded at this stage. And the funniest part is nobody is trying to convince cciowa otherwise. It's like he's visiting an alternate universe WZ.

We're winning 5 games or less. Idk where cc thinks all of us are talking about 9 plus wins.

Ya got me. I mean, the message all along to this point is, after learning from the past 2 years is, "wait and see." I think when the PYMWYMI thread comes out, the mass majority of fans will pick between 4 and 6 wins. To me, that's a grounded fan base; maybe the first time ever it's been this collectively grounded.

Fans getting excited about getting back to our roots, offensive and defensive systems, players being moved to more ideal positions, alumni coming back, a big FO now restructured like it used to be, rookie class, 50% turnover in personnel, individual play, etc. isn't detracting fans from still being realistic here. That's where cciowa is REALLY missing the mark.

Everyone knows this isn't a quick-fix here as said multiple times by ShanaLynch themselves and the 6 year contacts confirm it.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 24, 2017 at 9:22 AM ]
We're winning 5 games or less. Idk where cc thinks all of us are talking about 9 plus wins.

He is curb stomping the hell out of some strawmen.

Who is saying this? This seems like just another inordinate and or sarcastic generalization. Most people are simply preaching patience while standing firm to the complexity of the offense. It took Shanahan two years to install his full offense in Atlanta, which he has alluded to in the past. Nobody is looking at our current roster and expecting a miracle. Their expecting improvement as time goes along. That ranges from penalties to offensive production. These are very common expectations to have for an intricate offensive scheme.

The Falcons went from 3.8YPC the first season under Shanahan to 4.6YPC in the second season.

Not just Atlanta, the Baltimore offense when they switched to the ZBS struggled mightily their 1st year, their run blocking was especially awful and then in the 2nd year when Kubiak came onboard, it started to click and Justin Forsett ran for a crapload of yards.

It will take some time. Anyone seeking immediate gratification might as well start popping Xanax now because it isnt coming.

Yup. It almost seems senseless to post these kind of facts though. I feel like this sort of context has been floating around out here everyday the last couple of weeks especially. This will probably just fall on blind eyes too. Lol

I have a feeling it will be a struggle since the system is so complicated. In past years, we keep thinking the "better" coaching we hired alone would be good for 2 or 3 extra wins. That is false. Kyle is in a different position this year. He is the head coach and will need to answer the questions of the play on the field. The biggest question is whether or not he will begin to get frustrated by it and press too hard or will he let it roll off his back, be patient, and patiently keep installing his system.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I have a feeling it will be a struggle since the system is so complicated. In past years, we keep thinking the "better" coaching we hired alone would be good for 2 or 3 extra wins. That is false. Kyle is in a different position this year. He is the head coach and will need to answer the questions of the play on the field. The biggest question is whether or not he will begin to get frustrated by it and press too hard or will he let it roll off his back, be patient, and patiently keep installing his system.

The press can hem and haww all they want, Kyle's going to be coach for a long time. Jed basically locked himself into a closet with that Contract he wrote for Kyle. Same with the President, the press keep hemming and hawing, but it's not going to do anything, the guy will be in that post for 4 years at least.
Originally posted by Giedi:

The press can hem and haww all they want, Kyle's going to be coach for a long time. Jed basically locked himself into a closet with that Contract he wrote for Kyle. Same with the President, the press keep hemming and hawing, but it's not going to do anything, the guy will be in that post for 4 years at least.

That is correct. Just saying Kyle has been able to lay low under the radar being an assistant. The real test will be how stressed out he will get and how he will handle 2 or 3 straight losses in a row... you know, when players begin to question the system or game plans.

Harbaugh lost interest. JT gave up. Chip Kelly refused to adjust.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 24, 2017 at 11:09 AM ]
Eff all these videos and designs of the success of the Falcon's. Julio Jones isn't walking through that door. He played a large role in attracting coverage to open things up.

So far, I haven't seen s**t from this starting offense. Backups look good.

sometimes i wonder if people here are aware that the people the falcons had on offense is not what we have on offense. oh i forgot when the regular season rolls around. everything will click.lol

You mean Holmgren didn't get to bring Jerry and Joe.....and elder Shanny didn't get to bring Steve and Jerry?

Oh wait....each was able to install their schemes and build rosters accordingly. All the videos show are what Kyle's likes to do. There's also video out there of Kyle's offense throwing for damn near 4700 yards with Matt Schaub and video of totally changing his offense to make RGIII look like a god and have team rushing yard of almost 2700. Scheme matters in the NFL and when you match it up with the right roster it competes for titles.

That is correct. Just saying Kyle has been able to lay low under the radar being an assistant. The real test will be how stressed out he will get and how he will handle 2 or 3 straight losses in a row... you know, when players begin to question the system or game plans.

Harbaugh lost interest. JT gave up. Chip Kelly refused to adjust.

It's a legit concern that comes with any first year head coach. What Shanahan has going for him is that not only is his dad a signature name who coached 16 years in the NFL as a head coach and worked three decades overall in it, Kyle has spent his entire life basically around it.

John Lynch played 15 years in the league and comes off as a grounded person. Someone that played that long in the league should understand the nuances of what it takes to build a team. Plus how long it can take.

The team has made a long term investment on Kyle. He has job security for awhile so he doesn't have that extra stress hanging over his head. I would venture to say that Kyle probably has a little longer leash than most head coaches do when they take the job, just because of the way his contract has been structured.

Points is, there are people in Kyle's life to help him stay level headed. That combined with the fact that he grow up all around the NFL, and this is what he knows should compliment each other well. The pieces are in place to help Kyle be successful. He has some great advocates. We'll see how it plays out.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Aug 24, 2017 at 11:52 AM ]
Ya got me. I mean, the message all along to this point is, after learning from the past 2 years is, "wait and see." I think when the PYMWYMI thread comes out, the mass majority of fans will pick between 4 and 6 wins. To me, that's a grounded fan base; maybe the first time ever it's been this collectively grounded.

Fans getting excited about getting back to our roots, offensive and defensive systems, players being moved to more ideal positions, alumni coming back, a big FO now restructured like it used to be, rookie class, 50% turnover in personnel, individual play, etc. isn't detracting fans from still being realistic here. That's where cciowa is REALLY missing the mark.

Everyone knows this isn't a quick-fix here as said multiple times by ShanaLynch themselves and the 6 year contacts confirm it.

I'm going 4-12 myself and would be thrilled with 6-7 wins. Defense will be ahead of the offense and it's seems that year 1 in Kyle's system is pretty rough but it's worth it considering the improvements subsequent years in his scheme have seen.

Its mute button time

Never thought I would see that day but...
you people are really tolerant of other peoples opinions as long as they conform to yours.

hello pot, this is kettle
LOL...IKR? cciowa is just making this stuff up. Nobody is saying these things. Sure, you'll have the occasional homer like Cohn who's still predicting 9 wins and the eternal optimists but these are outliers. The mass majority of the fan base is pretty grounded at this stage. And the funniest part is nobody is trying to convince cciowa otherwise. It's like he's visiting an alternate universe WZ.

I had to finally block CC, there is being pessimistic and then there is going out of your way to s**t on every little thing because they didn't do exactly what you wanted....he has long gone over that tipping point, likely never to return. It was keeping me out of threads because saying I player was merely decent for now or has upside was treated like your were calling him an all star.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

I had to finally block CC, there is being pessimistic and then there is going out of your way to s**t on every little thing because they didn't do exactly what you wanted....he has long gone over that tipping point, likely never to return. It was keeping me out of threads because saying I player was merely decent for now or has upside was treated like your were calling him an all star.

Man, even a guy from Philly thinks CC 2.0 is too negative
Share 49ersWebzone